Characterization of a novel laccase purified from the fungus Hohenbuehelia serotina and its decolourisation of dyes
Languages of publication
A novel laccase was purified from the white rot fungus, Hohenbuehelia serotina, to investigate the applications of this laccase in the decoloration of various dyes. SDS-PAGE revealed a single band of this laccase corresponding to a molecular weight of approximately 57.8 kDa. The enzyme showed activity towards several substrates, the most sensitive of which was 2,2'-Azinobis-(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonate) (ABTS). The highest enzymatic activity using ABTS as a substrate was observed at pH 6.8 and 30°C. The enzyme activity was found to be significantly enhanced in the presence of Zn2+ ions and inhibited by Fe2+ ions. Moreover, SDS and β-mercaptoethanol were inhibitory, and inhibition by L-cysteine was observed while EDTA and DMSO had almost no inhibitory effect. The laccase could effectively decolorize seven different dyes within 30 minutes at 40°C.
- Asgher M, Bhatti HN, Ashraf M, Legge RL (2008) Recent developments in biodegradation of industrial pollutants by white rot fungi and their enzyme system. Biodegradation 19: 771-783. doi: 10.1007/s10532-008-9185-3.
- Baldrian P (2006) Fungal laccases - occurrence and properties. Fems Microbiol Rev 30: 215-242. doi: 10.1111/j.1574-4976.2005.00010.x.
- Brown MA, Devito SC (1993) Predicting azo-dye toxicity. Crit Rev Env Sci Tech 23: 249-324.
- Call HP, Mucke I (1997) History, overview and applications of mediated lignolytic systems, especially laccase-mediator-systems (Lignozym (R)-process). J Biotechnol 53: 163-202. doi: 10.1016/S0168-1656 (97)01683-0.
- Casieri L, Anastasi A, Prigione V, Varese GC (2010) Survey of ectomycorrhizal, litter-degrading, and wood-degrading Basidiomycetes for dye decolorization and ligninolytic enzyme activity. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 98: 483-504. doi: 10.1007/s10482-010-9466-9.
- Cea M, Jorquera M, Rubilar O, Langer H, Tortella G, Diez MC (2010) Bioremediation of soil contaminated with pentachlorophenol by Anthracophyllum discolor and its effect on soil microbial community. J Hazard Mater 181: 315-323. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.05.013.
- Champagne PP, Ramsay J (2007) Reactive blue 19 decolouration by laccase immobilized on silica beads. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 77: 819-823. doi: 10.1007/s00253-007-1208-1.
- Enayatzamir K, Alikhani HA, Couto SR (2009) Simultaneous production of laccase and decolouration of the diazo dye Reactive Black 5 in a fixed-bed bioreactor. J Hazard Mater 164: 296-300. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.08.032.
- Forootanfar H, Faramarzi MA, Shahverdi AR, Yazdi MT (2011) Purification and biochemical characterization of extracellular laccase from the ascomycete Paraconiothyrium variabile. Bioresour Technol 102: 1808-1814.
- Freixo MD, Karmali A, Arteiro JM (2012) Production, purification and characterization of laccase from Pleurotus ostreatus grown on tomato pomace. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 28: 245-254. doi: 10.1007/s11274-011-0813-4.
- Giardina P, Faraco V, Pezzella C, Piscitelli A, Vanhulle S, Sannia G (2010) Laccases: a never-ending story. Cell Mol Life Sci 67: 369-385. doi: 10.1007/s00018-009-0169-1.
- Gutierrez A, Rencoret J, Cadena EM, Rico A, Barth D, del Rio JC, Martinez AT (2012) Demonstration of laccase-based removal of lignin from wood and non-wood plant feedstocks. Bioresour Technol 119: 114-122. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2012.05.112.
- Halaburgi VM, Sharma S, Sinha M, Singh TP, Karegoudar TB (2011) Purification and characterization of a thermostable laccase from the ascomycetes Cladosporium cladosporioides and its applications. Process Biochemistry 46: 1146-1152. doi: 10.1016/j.procbio.2011.02.002.
- Hilden K, Hakala TK, Lundell T (2009) Thermotolerant and thermostable laccases. Biotechnol Lett 31: 1117-1128. doi: 10.1007/s10529-009-9998-0.
- Hu MR, Chao YP, Zhang GQ, Xue ZQ, Qian S (2009) Laccase-mediator system in the decolorization of different types of recalcitrant dyes. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 45-51.
- Jia JB, Zhang SP, Wang P, Wang HJ (2012) Degradation of high concentration 2,4-dichlorophenol by simultaneous photocatalytic-enzymatic process using TiO2/UV and laccase. J Hazard Mater 205: 150-155. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.12.052.
- Kahraman S, Yesilada O (2001) Industrial and agricultural wastes as substrates for laccase production by white-rot fungi. Folia Microbiol (Praha) 46: 133-136 doi: 10.1007/Bf02873591.
- Khandare RV, Rane NR, Waghmode TR, Govindwar SP (2012) Bacterial assisted phytoremediation for enhanced degradation of highly sulfonated diazo reactive dye. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 19: 1709-1718. doi: 10.1007/s11356-011-0679-x.
- Khlifi R, Belbahri L, Woodward S, Ellouz M, Dhouib A, Sayadi S, Mechichi T (2010) Decolourization and detoxification of textile industry wastewater by the laccase-mediator system. J Hazard Mater 175: 802-808. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.10.079.
- Kim SJ, Shoda M (1999) Purification and characterization of a novel peroxidase from Geotrichum candidum Dec 1 involved in decolorization of dyes. Appl Environ Microbiol 65: 1029-1035.
- Luzar A, Chandler D (1993) Structure and hydrogen-bond dynamics of water-dimethyl sulfoxide mixtures by computer-simulations. J Chem Phys 98: 8160-8173. doi: 10.1063/1.464521.
- Meng XM, Liu GF, Zhou JT, Fu QS, Wang GH (2012) Azo dye decolorization by Shewanella aquimarina under saline conditions. Bioresour Technol 114: 95-101. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2012.03.003.
- Mohorcic M, Teodorovic S, Golob V, Friedrich J (2006) Fungal and enzymatic decolourisation of artificial textile dye baths. Chemosphere 63: 1709-1717. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.09.063.
- Palanivel S, Thayumanavan P (2013) Purification and characterization of Pleurotus florida laccase (L1) involved in the Remazol Brilliant Blue R (RBBR) decoloration. J Environ Treatment Techniq 1: 24-34.
- Rani P, Kalyani N, Prathiba K (2008) Evaluation of lignocellulosic wastes for production of edible mushrooms. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 151: 151-159.
- Robinson T, Nigam PS (2008) Remediation of textile dye waste water using a white-rot fungus Bjerkandera adusta through solid-state fermentation (SSF). Appl Biochem Biotechnol 151: 618-628. doi: 10.1007/s12010-008-8272-6.
- Sahay R, Yadav RS, Yadav KD (2008) Purification and characterization of extracellular laccase secreted by Pleurotus sajor-caju MTCC 141. Chin J Biotechnol 24: 2068-2072 (Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao).
- Saranyu KR (2009) accase activity from fresh fruiting bodies of MK05:purification and remazol brilliant blue R decolorization. J Biol Sci 1: 5.
- Shraddha, Shekher R, Sehgal S, Kamthania M, Kumar A (2011) Laccase: microbial sources, production, purification, and potential biotechnological applications. Enzyme Res 2011: 217861.
- Tian GT, Zhang GQ, Wang HX, Ng TB (2012) Purification and characterization of a novel laccase from the mushroom Pleurotus nebrodensis. Acta Biochim Pol 59: 407-412.
- Verma AK, Raghukumar C, Verma P, Shouche YS, Naik CG (2010) Four marine-derived fungi for bioremediation of raw textile mill effluents. Biodegradation 21: 217-233. doi: 10.1007/s10532-009-9295-6.
- Villalba LL, Fonseca MI, Giorgio M, Zapata PD (2010) White rot fungi laccases for biotechnological applications. Recent Pat DNA Gene Seq 4: 106-112.
- Wu YR, Luo ZH, Chow RK, Vrijmoed LL (2010) Purification and characterization of an extracellular laccase from the anthracene-degrading fungus Fusarium solani MAS2. Bioresour Technol 101: 9772-9777. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2010.07.091.
- Zhao D, Zhang X, Cui DZ, Zhao M (2012) Characterisation of a novel white laccase from the deuteromycete fungus Myrothecium verrucaria NF-05 and its decolourisation of dyes. Plos One 7: e38817. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0038817.
Publication order reference