Klebsiella pneumoniae: characteristics of carbapenem resistance and virulence factors
Languages of publication
Klebsiella pneumoniae, known as a major threat to public health, is the most common factor of nosocomial and community acquired infections. In this study, 50 K. pneumoniae clinical specimens isolated from bronchial, urea, blood, catheter, rectal, bile, tracheal and wound cultures were collected. These isolates were identified and carbapenem resistance was determined via an automated system, CHROMagar Orientation and CHROMagar KPC. The carbapenemase gene regions (blaIMP, blaVIM, blaOXA, blaNDM and blaKPC) and presence of virulence factors (magA, k2A, rmpA, wabG, uge, allS, entB, ycfM, kpn, wcaG, fimH, mrkD, iutA, iroN, hly ve cnf-1) of these isolates were determined by using Multiplex-PCR. The OXA-48 carbapenemase gene regions were determined in 33 of 50 K. pneumoniae strains. In addition, NDM-1 resistance in one, OXA-48 and NDM-1 resistance in four unusual K. pneumoniae isolates were detected. Virulence gene regions that were encountered among K. pneumoniae isolates were 88% wabG, 86% uge, 80% ycfM and 72% entB, related with capsule, capsule lipoprotein and external membrane protein, responsible for enterobactin production, respectively. Even though there was no significant difference between resistant and sensitive strains due to the virulence gene regions (P≥0.05), virulence factors in carbapenem resistant isolates were found to be more diverse. This study is important for both, to prevent the spread of carbapenem resistant infections and to plan for developing effective treatments. Moreover, this study is the first detailed study of the carbapenem resistance and virulence factors in K. pneumoniae strains.
- Abouddihaj B, El Otmani F, Lakbakbi El Yaagoubi F, Talmi M, Zerouali K, Timinouni M (2012) First report of a Klebsiella pneumoniae strain coproducing NDM-1, VIM-1 and OXA-48 carbapenemases isolated in Morocco. APMIS 121: 675-677.
- Alp E, Perçin D, Colakoğlu S, Durmaz S, Kürkcü CA, Ekincioğlu P, Güneş T (2013) Molecular characterization of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in a tertiary university hospital in Turkey. J Hosp Infect 84: 178-180.
- Arısoy M, Rad AY, Akın A, Akar N (2008) Relationship between susceptibility to antimicrobials and virulence factors in pediatric Escherichia coli isolates. Int J Antimicrob Agents 31 (Suppl 1) S4-S8.
- Azap Ö, Otlu B, Yeşilkaya A, Yakupoğulları Y (2013) Detection of OXA-48-like carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a tertiary care center in Turkey: molecular characterization and epidemiology. Balkan Med J 30: 259-260.
- Balm MN, La MV, Krishnan P, Jureen R, Lin RT, Teo JW (2013) Emergence of Klebsiella pneumoniae co-producing NDM-type and OXA-181 carbapenemases. Clin Microbiol Infect 19: E421-E423.
- Beceiro A, Tomás M, Bou G (2013) Antimicrobial resistance and virulence: a successful or deleterious association in the bacterial world? Clin Microbiol Rev 26: 185-230.
- Chou HC, Lee CZ, Ma LC, Fang CT, Chang SC, Wang JT (2004) Isolation of a chromosomal region of Klebsiella pneumoniae associated with allantoin metabolism and liver infection. Infect Immun 72: 3783-3792.
- Compain F, Babosan A, Brisse S, Genel N, Audo J, Ailloud F, Kassis-Chikhani N, Arlet G, Decré D (2014) Multiplex PCR for detection of seven virulence factors and K1/K2 capsular serotypes of Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Clin Microbiol 52: 4377-4380.
- Cortés G, Borrell N, de Astorza B, Gómez C, Sauleda J, Albertí S (2002) Molecular analysis of the contribution of the capsular polysaccharide and the lipopolysaccharide O side chain to the virulence of Klebsiella pneumoniae in a murine model of pneumonia. Infect Immun 70: 2583-2590.
- Doi Y, O'Hara JA, Lando JF, Querry AM, Townsend BM, Pasculle AW, Muto CA (2014) Co-Production of NDM-1 and OXA-232 by Klebsiella pneumoniae. Emerg Infect Dis 20: 163-165.
- Dortet L, Poirel L, Al Yaqoubi F, Nordmann P (2012) NDM-1, OXA-48 and OXA-181 carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Sultanate of Oman. Clin Microbiol Infect 18: E144-E148.
- El Fertas-Aissani R, Messai Y, Alouache S, Bakour R (2013) Virulence profiles and antibiotic susceptibility patterns of Klebsiella pneumoniae strains isolated from different clinical specimens. Pathol Biol 61: 209-216.
- Fang CT, Chuang YP, Shun CT, Chang SC, Wang JT (2004) A novel virulence gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae strains causing primary liver abscess and septic metastatic complications. J Exp Med 199: 697-705.
- Guiral E, Bosch J, Vila J, Soto SM (2011) Prevalence of Escherichia coli among samples collected from the genital tract in pregnant and nonpregnant women: relationship with virulence. FEMS Microbiol Lett 314: 170-173.
- Hartman LJ, Selby EB, Whitehouse CA, Coyne SR, Jaissle JG, Twenhafel NA, Burke RL, Kulesh DA (2009) Rapid Real-Time PCR assays for detection of Klebsiella pneumoniae with the rmpA or magA genes associated with the hypermucoviscosity phenotype. J Mol Diagn 11: 464-471.
- Ku YH, Chuang YC, Yu WL (2008) Clinical spectrum and molecular characteristics of Klebsiella pneumoniae causing community-acquired extrahepatic abscess. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41: 311-317.
- Mamlouk K, Boutiba-Ben Boubaker I, Gautier V, Vimont S, Picard B, Ben Redjeb S (2006) Emergence and outbreaks of CTX-M beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae strains in a Tunisian hospital. J Clin Microbiol 44: 4049-4056.
- May T, Okabe S (2011) Enterobactin is required for biofilm development in reduced-genome Escherichia colii. Environ Microbiol 13: 3149-3162.
- Nordmann P, Naas T, Poirel L (2011) Global Spread of Carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae. Emerg Infect Dis 17: 1791-1798.
- Panagea T, Galani I, Souli M, Adamou P, Antoniadou A, Giamarellou H (2011) Evaluation of CHROMagarTM KPC for the detection of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in rectal surveillance cultures. Int J Antimicrob Agents 37: 124-128.
- Pfeifer Y, Schlatterer K, Engelmann E, Schiller RA, Frangenberg HR, Stiewe D, Holfelder M, Witte W, Nordmann P, Poirel L (2012) Emergence of OXA-48-type carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in German hospitals. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56: 2125-2128.
- Podschun R, Ullmann U (1998) Klebsiella spp. as nosocomial pathogens: epidemiology, taxonomy, typing methods and pathogenicity factors. Clin Microbiol Rev 11: 589-603.
- Poirel L, Heritier C, Tolun V, Nordmann P (2004) Emergence of oxacillinase-mediated resistance to imipenem in Klebsiella pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48: 15-22.
- Poirel L, Walsh TR, Cuvillier V, Nordmann P (2011) Multiplex PCR for detection of acquired carbapenemase genes. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 70: 119-123.
- Sebghati TA, Korhonen TK, Hornick DB, Clegg S (1998) Characterization of the type 3 fimbrial adhesins of Klebsiella strains. Infect Immun 66: 2887-2894.
- Shibl A, Al-Agamy M, Memish Z, Senok A, Khader SA, Assiri A (2013) The emergence of OXA-48- and NDM-1-positive Klebsiella pneumoniae in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Int J Infect Dis 17: e1130-e1133.
- Struve C, Bojer M, Krogfelt KA (2009) Identification of a conserved chromosomal region encoding Klebsiella pneumoniae type 1 and type 3 fimbriae and assessment of the role of fimbriae in pathogenicity. Infect Immun 77: 5016-5024.
- Turton JF, Perry C, Elgohari S, Hampton CV (2010) PCR characterization and typing of Klebsiella pneumoniae using capsular type-specific, variable number tandem repeat and virulence gene targets. J Med Microbiol 59: 541-547.
- Wang H, Tu F, Gui Z, Lu X, Chu W (2013) Antibiotic resistance profiles and quorum sensing-dependent virulence factors in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosai. Indian J Microbiol 53: 163-167.
- Yang YX, Xu ZH, Zhang YQ, Tian J, Weng LX, Wang LH (2012) A new quorum-sensing inhibitor attenuates virulence and decreases antibiotic resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Microbiol 50: 987-993.
- Yong D, Toleman MA, Giske CG (2009) Characterization of a new metallo-β-lactamase gene, bla NDM-1, and a novel erythromycin esterase gene carried on a unique genetic structure in Klebsiella pneumoniae sequence type 14 from India. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53: 5046-5054.
- Yu WL, Fung CP, Ko WC, Cheng KC, Lee CC, Chuang YC (2007) Polymerase chain reaction analysis for detecting capsule serotypes K1 and K2 of Klebsiella pneumoniae causing abscesses of the liver and other sites. J Infect Dis 195: 1235-1236.
- Yu WL, Ko WC, Cheng KC, Lee HC, Ke DS, Lee CC, Fung CP, Chuang YC (2006) Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan. Clin Infect Dis 42: 1351-1358.
- Yu WL, Ko WC, Cheng KC, Lee CC, Lai CC, Chuang YC (2008) Comparison of prevalence of virulence factors for Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscesses between isolates with capsular K1/K2 and non-K1/K2 serotypes. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62: 1-6.
Publication order reference