Inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis in K562 human leukemia cells by the derivative (3-NpC) from dihydro-pyranochromenes family
Languages of publication
Leukemia is a particular type of cancer characterized by the failure of cell death or disability in differentiation of hematopoietic cells. Chronic myelogenus leukemia (CML) is the most studied kind of this cancer. In this study, anti-cancer effect of dihydro-pyranochromenes derivatives were investigated in the human leukemia K562 cells. These compounds were found to be active cell proliferation inhibitors using MTT assay. Among these compounds, 3-NpC was determined as stronger compound with IC50 value of 100±3.1 µM and was chosen for further studies. Induction of apoptosis was analyzed by AO/EtBr staining, DNA fragmentation assay, Annexin V/PI double staining and cell cycle analysis. Furthermore, Western Blot analysis showed that treatment of the cells with 3-NpC led to up-regulation and activation of caspase-3. The results of this investigation clearly indicated that dihydro-pyranochromenes derivatives induce apoptosis in the K562 cell line. This information signalizes also that these compounds may prepare a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of leukemia.
- Abdolmohammadi S, Balalaie S (2007) Novel and efficient catalysts for the one-pot synthesis of 3, 4-dihydro pyrano [c]chromene derivatives in aqueous media. Tetrahedron Lett 48: 3299-3303.
- Akbarzadeh T, Rafinejad A, Mollaghasem JM, Safavi M, Fallah-Tafti A, Pordeli M, Ardestani SK, Shafiee A, Foroumadi A (2012) 2-Amino-3-cyano-4-(5-arylisoxazol-3-yl)-4h-chromenes: synthesis and in vitro cytotoxic activity. Arch Pharm (Weinheim) 345: 386-392.
- Calabretta B, Perrotti D (2004) The biology of Cml blast crisis. Blood 103: 4010-4022.
- Earnshaw WC, Martins LM, Kaufmann SH (1999) Mammalian caspases: structure, activation, substrates, and functions during apoptosis. Annu Rev Biochem 68: 383-424.
- Elmore S (2007) Apoptosis: a review of programmed cell death. Toxicologic Pathology 35: 495-516.
- Emmadi NR, Atmakur K, Chityal GK, Pombala S, Nanubolu JB (2012) Synthesis and cytotoxicity evaluation of highly functionalized pyranochromenes and pyranopyrans. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22: 7261-7264.
- Ghorbani-Vaghei R, Toghraei-Semiromi Z, Karimi-Nami R (2011) One-pot synthesis of 4H-chromene and dihydropyrano[3,2-c]chromene derivatives in hydroalcoholic media. J Braz Chem Soc 22: 905-909.
- Heidary Alizadeh B, Vosooghi M, Khoobi M, Javidnia A, Foroumadi A, Panah F, Safavi M, Ardestani S, Shafiee A (2010) Synthesis and cytotoxic activity of novel 9-[hydroxy(substitutedphenyl)methyl]-2,2-dimethyl-2,3,8,9-tetrahydro-4h,10h-pyrano[2,3-f]chromene-4,10-diones. Iran J Chem Chem Eng 29: 189-196.
- Hengartner MO (2000) The biochemistry of apoptosis. Nature 407: 770-776.
- Jacquot Y, Refouvelet B, Bermont L, Adessi GL, Leclercq G, Xicluna A (2002) Synthesis and cytotoxic activity of new 2,4-diaryl-4H,5H-pyrano[3,2-c]benzopyran-5-ones on MCF-7 cells. Pharmazie 57: 233-237.
- Kavanagh J, Hu W (2003) Anticancer therapy targeting the apoptotic pathway. Lancet Oncol 4: 721-729.
- Kemnitzer W, Drewe J, Jiang S, Zhang H, Wang Y, Zhao J, Jia S, Herich J, Labreque D, Storer R, Meerovitch K, Bouffard D, Rej R, Denis R, Blais C, Lamothe S, Attardo G, Gourdeau H, Tseng B, Kasibhatla S, Cai SX (2004) Discovery of 4-aryl-4h-chromenes as a new series of apoptosis inducers using a cell- and caspase-based high-throughput screening assay. 1. Structure-activity relationships of the 4-aryl group. J Med Chem 47: 6299-6310.
- Kemnitzer W, Jiang S, Wang Y, Kasibhatla S, Crogan-Grundy C, Bubenik M, Labrecque D, Denis R, Lamothe S, Attardo G, Gourdeau H, Tseng B, Drewe J, Cai SX (2008) Discovery of 4-aryl-4h-chromenes as a new series of apoptosis inducers using a cell- and caspase-based hts assay. Part 5: modifications of the 2- and 3-positions. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18: 603-607.
- Kerr JF, Winterford CM, Harmon BV (1994) Apoptosis. Its Significance in cancer and cancer therapy. Cancer 73: 2013-2026.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Mahdavi M, Davoodi J, Zali MR, Foroumadi A (2011) Concomitant activation of caspase-9 and down-regulation of iap proteins as a mechanism of apoptotic death in hepg2, t47d and hct-116 cells upon exposure to a derivative from 4-aryl-4h-chromenes family. Biomed Pharmacother 65: 175-182.
- Mahdavi M, Yazdanparast R (2007) Gnidilatimonoein from daphne mucronata induces differentiation and apoptosis in leukemia cell lines. Arch Pharm Res 30: 177-181.
- Mo S, Wang S, Zhou G, Yang Y, Li Y, Chen X, Shi J (2004) Phelligridin C-F: cytotoxic pyrano[3, 2-c]pran-4-onederivatives from the fungus Phellinus linteus. J Nat Prod 67: 823-828.
- Mohammadi Ziarani G, Badiei A, Azizi M, Zarabadi P (2011) Synthesis of 3,4-dihydro pyrano[c]chromene derivatives using sulfonic acid functionalized silica (sio2prso3h). Iran J Chem Chem Eng 30: 59-65.
- Moosavi MA, Yazdanparast R, Lotfi A (2007) Erk1/2 Inactivation and P38 Mapk-Dependent caspase activation during guanosine 5-triphosphate-mediated terminal erythroid differentiation of K562 Cells. Int J Biochemi Cell Biol 39: 1685-1697.
- Mosmann T (1983) Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 65: 55-63.
- Nicoletti I, Migliorati G, Pagliacci MC, Grignani F, Riccardi C (1991) A rapid and simple method for measuring thymocyte apoptosis by propidium iodide staining and flow cytometry. J Immunol Methods 139: 271-279.
- Quintás-Cardama A, Cortes J (2009) Molecular biology of bcr-abl1-positive chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood 113: 1619-1630.
- Taylor RC, Cullen SP, Martin SJ (2008) Apoptosis: controlled demolition at the cellular level. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 9: 231-241.
- Thomas N, Zachariah SM (2013) Pharmacological activities of chromene derivatives: an overview. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 6: 11-15.
- Vosooghi M, Rajabalian S, Sorkhi M, Badinloo M, Nakhjiri M, Negahbani AS, Asadipour A, Mahdavi M, Shafiee A, Foroumadi A (2010) Synthesis and cytotoxic activity of some 2-amino-4-aryl-3-cyano-7-(dimethylamino)-4h-chromenes. Res Pharm Sci 5: 9-14.
Publication order reference