Examination of cyp51A and cyp51B expression level of the first Polish azole resistant clinical Aspergillus fumigatus isolate
Languages of publication
Aspergillus fumigatus is one of the most prevalent airborne fungal pathogens causing infections worldwide. Most A. fumigatus strains are susceptible to azoles, which are administered as the first line therapeutics. However, during last decade the acquired resistance to triazoles by these species has been described. There is a number of publications concerning the examination of clinical A. fumigatus strains from different countries, however there has been no report from Poland. Here, we describe for the first time, an examination of cyp51A and cyp51B expression level of 11 clinical A. fumigatus strains isolated during 2007-2014 period from the collection of Medical University in Wrocław. Their susceptibility to itraconazole, voriconazole and posaconazole has been examined. The MIC values of triazoles for one of the examined isolates were respectively: > 8 mg/L for itraconazole, 2 mg/L for voriconazole and 0.5 mg/L for posaconazole. The cyp51A gene with its promoter region of all isolates was sequenced. It was found that the resistant isolate harbors the TR34/L98H mutation in the cyp51A gene and when cultured on media supplemented with voriconazole exhibits overexpression of both, cyp51A and cyp51B genes. The level of cyp51A gene expression was about 50 times higher than cyp51B.
- Alcazar-Fuoli L, Mellado E, Alastruey-Izquierdo A, Cuenca-Estrella M, Rodriguez-Tudela JL (2008) Aspergillus section Fumigati: antifungal susceptibility patterns and sequence-based identification. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52: 1244-1251.
- Blosser SJ, Cramer RA (2012) SREBP-dependent triazole susceptibility in Aspergillus fumigatus is mediated through direct transcriptional regulation of erg11A (cyp51A). Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56: 248-257.
- Brillowska-Dąbrowska A, Nielsen SS, Nielsen HV, Arendrup MC (2010) Optimized 5-hour multiplex PCR test for the detection of tinea unguium: performance in a routine PCR laboratory. Med Mycol 48: 828-831.
- Bromley MJ, van Muijlwijk G, Fraczek MG, Robson G, Verweij PE, Denning DW, Bowyer P (2014) J Glob Antimicrob Resist 4: 276-279.
- Buied A, Moore CB, Denning DW, Bowyer P (2013) High-level expression of cyp51B in azole-resistant clinical Aspergillus fumigatus isolates. J Antimicrob Chemother 68: 512-514.
- Denning DW, Venkateswarlu K, Oakley KL, Anderson MJ, Manning NJ, Stevens DA, Warnock DW, Kelly SL (1997) Itraconazole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 41: 1364-1368.
- Diaz-Guerra TM, Mellado E, Cuenca-Estrella M, Rodriguez-Tudela JL (2003) A point mutation in the 14α-sterol demethylase gene cyp51a contributes to itraconazole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47: 1120-1224.
- Glass NL, Donaldson GC (1995) Development of primer sets designed for use with the PCR to amplify conserved genes from filamentous ascomycetes. Appl Environ Microbiol 61: 1323-1330.
- Howard SJ, Arendrup MC (2011) Acquired antifungal drug resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: epidemiology and detection. Med Mycol 49 Suppl 1: S90-S95.
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD (2001) Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402-408.
- Mellado E, Garcia-Effron G, Alcazar-Fuoli L, Melchers WJ, Verweij PE, Cuenca-Estrella M, Rodriguez-Tudela JL (2007) A new Aspergillus fumigatus resistance mechanism conferring in vitro cross-resistance to azole antifungals involves a combination of cyp51A alterations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51: 1897-1904.
- Odds FC, Brown AJ, Gow NA (2003) Antifungal agents: mechanisms of action. Trends Microbiol 11: 272-279.
- Perlin DS, Shor E, Zhao Y (2015) Update on antifungal drug resistance. Curr Clin Microbiol Rep 2: 84-95.
- Rodriquez-Tudela JL, Donnelly JP, Arendrup MC, Arikan S, Barchiesi F, Bille J, Chryssanthou E, Cuenca-Estrella M, Dannaoui E, Denning D, Fegeler W, Gaustad P, Lass-Flörl C, Moore C, Richardson M, Schmalreck A, Velegraki A, Verweij P (2008) Subcommittee on Antifungal Susceptibility Testing (AFST) of the ESCMID European Committee for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. EUCAST Technical Note on the method for the determination of broth dilution minimum inhibitory concentrations of antifungal agents for conidia-forming moulds. Clin Microbiol Infect 14: 982-984.
- Shapiro RS, Robbins N, Cowen LE (2011) Regulatory circuitry governing fungal development, drug resistance, and disease. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 75: 213-267.
- Snelders E, Rijs AJ, Kema GH, Melchers WJ, Verweij PE (2009) Possible environmental origin of resistance of Aspergillus fumigatus to medical triazoles. Appl Environ Microbiol 75: 4053-4057.
- Snelders E, Karawajczyk A, Verhoeven RJ, Venselaar H, Schaftenaar G, Verweij PE, Melchers WJ (2011) The structure-function relationship of the Aspergillus fumigatus cyp51A L98H conversion by site-directed mutagenesis: The mechanism of L98H azole resistance. Fungal Gen Biol 48: 1062-1070.
- Snelders E, Camps SM, Karawajczyk A, Schaftenaar G, Kema GH, Van der Lee HA, Verweij PE (2012) Triazole fungicides can induce cross-resistance to medical triazoles in Aspergillus fumigatus. PLoS One 7: e31801.
- Soubani AO, Chandrasekar PH (2002) The clinical spectrum of pulmonary aspergillosis. Chest 121: 1988-1999.
- Stensvold CR, Jørgensen LN, Arendrup MC (2012) Azole-resistant invasive aspergillosis: relationship to agriculture. Curr Fungal Infect Rep 6: 178-191.
- Valiante V, Macheleidt J, Föge M, Brakhage AA (2015) The Aspergillus fumigatus cell wall integrity signaling pathway: drug target, compensatory pathways, and virulence. Front Microbiol 6: 325.
- van Ingen J, van der Lee HA, Rijs TA, Zoll J, Leenstra T, Melchers WJ, Verweij PE (2015) Azole, polyene and echinocandin MIC distributions for wild-type, TR34/L98H and TR46/Y121F/T289A Aspergillus fumigatus isolates in the Netherlands. J Antimicrob Chemother 70: 178-181.
- Verweij PE, Snelders E, Kema GH, Mellado E, Melchers WJ (2009) Azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: a side-effect of environmental fungicide use? The Lancet Infect Dis 9: 789-795.
- Wei X, Zhang Y, Lu L (2015) The molecular mechanism of azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: from bedside to bench and back. J Microbiol 53: 91-99.
- White TJ, Bruns T, S. Lee S, Taylor JW (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and Applications. Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ, eds, pp 315-322. Academic Press, Inc., New York.
Publication order reference