Influence of the silver nanoparticles on microbial community in different environments
Languages of publication
The aim of this study was to assess the influence of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) on the number and diversity of microbial community in different environments (soil extract, water, sewage), and to determine whether the environment inhibits or accelerates the influence of AgNPs on moulds. AgNPs (45 ppm) present in the environment decreased bacterial (91%) and fungal (33-85%) numbers, and eliminated some strains, e.g., Alternaria alternata and Cryptococcus laurentii. Based on the biomass growth of Aspergillus niger and Penicillium chrysogenum in a medium with AgNPs and the environmental samples, it was noticed that environment can enhance (soil extract) or inhibit (sewage) antifungal activity of AgNPs.
- Arvanitidou M, Kanellou K, Vagiona DG (2005) Diversity of Salmonella spp. and fungi in northern Greek rivers and their correlation to fecal pollution indicators. Environ Res 99: 278-284.
- Ayansina ADV, Oso BA (2006) Effect of two commonly used herbicides on soil microflora at two different concentrations. Afr J Biotechnol 5: 129-132.
- Bensch K, Groenewald JZ, Dijksterhuis J, Starink-Willemse M, Andersen B, Summerell BA, Shin H-D, Dugan FM, Schroers H-J, Braun U, Crous PW (2010) Species and ecological diversity within the Cladosporium cladosporioides complex (Davidiellaceae, Capnodiales). Stud Mycol 67: 1-94.
- Campbell KR (1994) Silver accumulation in three species of fish (family: Centrarchidae) in stormwater treatment ponds. Florida Scientist 57: 34-42.
- Chang AC (1997) Land application of sewage sludge: Pathogen issues. Joint FAO/IAEA Div. of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, Vienna (Austria). pp 183-190. International Atomic Energy Agency, Div. of Physical and Chemical Sciences, Austria.
- DiRienzo M (2006) New applications for silver. The LBMA Precious Metals Conference Montreux.
- Dunca S, Tanase C, Stafan M, Cojocariu A (2006) Characterization of the microbiota from different types of anthropogenic soils. Scientific Annals of 'Aleksandru Ioan Cuza'. New Series. Section IIa, Vegetal Biology. pp 53-70. University of Iasi.
- Eisler R (1996) Silver hazards to fish, wildlife and invertebrates: A synoptic review. Contaminant Hazard Reviews Report 32. National Biological Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, DC.
- Frisvad JC, Samson RA (2004) Polyphasic taxonomy of Penicillium subgenus Penicillium. A guide to identification of food and airborne terverticillate penicillia and their mycotoxins. Stud Mycol 49: 1-174.
- Gutarowska B, Skóra J, Zduniak K, Rembisz D (2012) Analysis of the sensitivity of microorganisms contaminating museums and archives to silver nanoparticles. Int Biodeterior Biodegradation 68: 7-17.
- Klich MA (2002) Identification of common Aspergillus species. Utrecht: Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures.
- Kuyucak N, Volesky B (1988) Biosorbents for the recovery of metals from industrial solutions. Biotechnol Lett 10: 137-142.
- Luoma SN (2008) Silver nanotechnologies and the environment: old problems or new challenges? Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies. The Pew Charitable Trusts.
- Mishra YK, Mohapatra S, Kabiraj D, Mohanta B, Lalla NP, Pivin JC, Avasthi DK (2007) Synthesis and characterization of Ag nanoparticles in silica matrix by atom beam sputtering. Scripta Materialia 56: 629-632.
- Patil SR (2014) Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized from Fusarium semitectum and green extracts. Int J Sci Eng Res 2: 140-145.
- Pettibone GW, Sullivan SA, Shiaris MP (1987) Comparative survival of antibiotic-resistant and -sensitive fecal indicator bacteria in estuarine water. Appl Environ Microbiol 53: 1241-1245.
- Pitt JI, Hocking AD (2009) Fungi and food Spoilage. North Ryde. Springer.
- Pümpel T, Schinner F (1986) Silver tolerance and silver accumulation of microorganisms from soil materials of a silver mine. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 24: 244-247.
- Ratte HT (1999) Bioaccumulation and toxicity of silver compounds: a review. Environ Toxicol Chem 18: 89-108.
- Samuel U, Guggenbichler JP (2004) Prevention of catheter-related infections: the potential of a new nano-silver impregnated catheter. Int J Antimicrob Agents 23 Suppl 1: S75-S78.
- Shafer MM, Overdier JT, Armstrong DE (1998) Removal, partitioning, and fate of silver and other metals in wastewater treatment plants and effluent-receiving streams. Environ Toxicol Chem 17: 630-641.
- Shamuyarira KK, Gumbo JR (2014) Assessment of Heavy Metals in Municipal Sewage Sludge: A Case Study of Limpopo Province, South Africa. Int J Environ Res Public Health 11: 2569-2579.
- Schlich K, Klawonn T, Terytze K, Hund-Rinke K (2013) Hazard assessment of a silver nanoparticle in soil applied via sewage sludge. Environ Sci Eur 25: 17.
- Tobin JM, Cooper DG, Neufeld RJ (1984) Uptake of metal ions by Rhizopus arrhizus biomass. Appl Environ Microbiol 47: 821-824.
- Tolaymat T, El Badawy A, Genaidy A, Scheckel K, Luxton T, Suidan M (2010) An evidence-based environmental perspective of manufactured silver nanoparticle in syntheses and applications: A systematic review and critical appraisal of peer reviewed scientific papers. Sci Total Environ 408: 999-1006.
- Warrington PD (1996) Ambient water quality criteria for silver. Ministry of Environment. Lands and Parks Province of British Columbia. Environmental Protection Department. Water Quality Branch. Victoria, BC.
Publication order reference