RASMOL AB - New functionalities in the program for structure analysis
Languages of publication
For many years RasMol was one of the most used programs for molecular visualization. It was an excellent tool due to its simplicity and its low demand of computer power. Today it is replaced by OpenGL programs, which have excellent graphics that new computers can additionally handle. Molecular graphics is one of the best tools for the analysis of biomolecular data. With high efficiency and a low demand of computer power, RasMol can still be used as a quick and handy tool used for the analysis of biomolecular structures with good results. In this paper, we describe modifications to the RasMol program, as implemented on the base of RasMol AB 2. We introduced several new functions, namely: the identification of histidine isomers, and advanced structural selection and macro capabilities (as implemented in the point-click menu), which result in an increase in the speed and accuracy of structural analyses. The program can be downloaded from the project page: http://etoh.chem.univ.gda.pl/rasmol/
- Bernstein HJ (2000) Recent changes to RasMol, recombining the variants. TIBS 25: 453-455.
- Crieghton TE (1992) Proteins. Structures and Molecular Properties, 2nd edition, pp 182-188 W.H. Freeman, New York.
- DeLano WL, The PyMOL Molecular Graphics System, Version 18.104.22.168 Schrödinger, LLC.
- Goodsell DS (2005) Representing Structural Information with RasMol. Curr Protoc Bioinformatics 5.4.1.-5.4.23.
- Structural Bioinformatics (2009) Gu J, Bourne PE eds, pp 237-269. Wiley-Blackwel.
- Johansson MU, Zoete V, Michielin O, Guex N (2012) Defining and searching for structural motifs using DeepView/Swiss-PdbViewer. BMC Bioinformatics 13: 1-10.
- Koradi R, Billeter M, Wüthrich K (1996) MOLMOL: a program for display and analysis of macromolecular structures. J Mol Graph 14: 51-55.
- Pearlman DA, Case DA, Caldwell JW, Ross WS, Cheatham TE III, DeBolt S, Ferguson D, Seibel G, Kollman P (1995) AMBER, a package of computer programs for applying molecular mechanics, normal mode analysis, molecular dynamics and free energy calculations to simulate the structural and energetic properties of molecules. Comp Phys Commun 91: 1-41.
- Pettersen EF, Goddard TD, Huang CC, Couch GS, Greenblatt DM, Meng EC, Ferrin TE (2004) UCSF Chimera-a visualization system for exploratory research and analysis. J Comput Chem 25: 1605-1612.
- Sanchez-Ferrer A, Nunez-Delicado E, Bru R (1995) Software for viewing biomolecules in three dimensions on the internet. TIBS 20: 286-288.
- Sayle RA, Milner-White EJ (1995). RASMOL: biomolecular graphics for all. TIBS 20: 374-376.
- Strub MP, Hoh F, Sanchez JF, Strub JM, Böck A, Aumelas A, Dumas C (2003) Selenomethionine and selenocysteine double labeling strategy for crystallographic phasing. Structure 11: 1359-1367.
- Taylor WR (1986) The classification of amino acid conservation. J Theor Biol 119: 205-218.
- Venn J (1880) On the Diagrammatic and Mechanical Representation of Propositions and Reasonings. Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science 59: 1-18.
Publication order reference