Pretreatment with diallylsulphide modulates mercury-induced neurotoxicity in male rats
Languages of publication
Many studies have reported on the toxicity and related oxidative stress of mercury. Antioxidants play an important role in counteracting metal-induced neurotoxicity under in vivo conditions. In this study, the effect of diallylsulphide (DAS) was evaluated on mercuric chloride induced activities of catalase, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and glutathione content in brains of rats. Pretreatment of rats with DAS in the Hg-treated group also inhibited an increase in lipid peroxidation and elevated acetyl cholinesterase and glutathione content. Activities of antioxidant enzymes were also restored concomitantly when compared to the control rats after DAS administration. DAS also caused a decrease in tumor necrosis factor-α level which was higher in HgCl2-treated group. The results indicate that DAS augments antioxidant defense with anti-inflammatory response against HgCl2-induced neurotoxicity. The increased level of antioxidant enzymes enhances the antioxidant potential of the organ to reduce oxidative stress.
- Adefegha SA, Oboh G (2012) Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitory activity antioxidant properties and phenolic composition of two Aframomum species. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 23: 153-161.
- Aebi H (1984) Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol 105: 121-126.
- Alvarez JG, Storey BT (1984) Lipid peroxidation and the reactions of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide in mouse spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 30: 833-8341.
- Ansar S (2013) Antioxidant effect of butylated hydroxytoluene on ferric nitrilotriacetate induced renal hyper proliferation and injury in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 58: 530-535.
- Ansar S, Iqbal M (2013) Role of ascorbic acid in counteracting ferric nitrilotriacetate-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pharm Biol 51: 1559-1563.
- Battisti V, Schetinger MR, Maders LD, Santos KF, Bagatini MD, Correa MC, Spanevello RM, Do Carmo Araujo M, Morsch VM (2009) Changes in acetylcholinesterase (AchE) activity in lymphocytes and whole blood in acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients. Clin Chim Acta 402: 114-118.
- Bocquene G, Bellanger C, Cadiou Y, Galgani F (1995) Joint action of combinations of pollutants on the acetylcholinesterase activity of several marine species. Ecotoxicology 4: 266-279.
- Branco V, Canario J, Lu J, Holmgren A, Carvalho C (2012) Mercury and selenium interaction in vivo: effects on thioredoxin reductase and glutathione peroxidase. Free Radic Biol Med 52: 781-793.
- Chai YS, Yuan ZY, Lei F, Wang YG, Hu J, Du F, Lu X, Jiang JF, Xing DM, Du LJ (2014) Inhibition of retinoblastoma mRNA degradation through Poly (A) involved in the neuroprotective effect of berberine against cerebral ischemia. PLoS One 9: e90850.
- Chiu TH, Lan KY, Yang MD, Lin JJ, Hsia TC, Wu CT, Yang JS, Chueh FS, Chung JG (2013) Diallyl sulfide promotes cell-cycle arrest through the p53 expression and triggers induction of apoptosis via caspase- and mitochondria-dependent signaling pathways in human cervical cancer Ca Ski cells. Nutr Cancer 65: 505-514.
- Devi M, Fingerman M (1995) Inhibition of acetylcholinesterase activity in the central nervous system of the red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii by mercury cadmium and lead. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 55: 746-750.
- Ellman GL (1959) Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 82: 70-77.
- Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres V Jr, Feather-Stone RM (1961) A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 7: 88-95.
- Factor VM, Kiss A, Woitach JT, Wirth PJ, Thorgeirsson SS (1998) Disruption of redox homeostasis in the transforming growth factor-alpha/c-myc transgenic mouse model of accelerated hepatocarcinogenesis. J Biol Chem 273: 15846-15853.
- Farina M, Franco JL, Ribas CM, Meotti FC, Missau FC, Pizzolatti MG, Dafre AL, Santos AR (2005) Protective effects of Polygala paniculata extract against methylmercury-induced neurotoxicity in mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 57: 1503-1508.
- Franco JL, Posser T, Missau F, Pizzolatti MG, Dos Santos AR, Souza DO, Aschner M, Rocha JB, Dafre AL, Farina M (2010) Structure-activity relationship of flavonoids derived from medicinal plants in preventing methylmercury-induced mitochondrial dysfunction. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 30: 272-278.
- Grandjean P, Landrigan PJ (2014) Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity. Lancet Neurol 13: 330-338.
- Gupta R, Flora SJ (2006) Effect of Centella asiatica on arsenic induced oxidative stress and metal distribution in rats. J Appl Toxicol 26: 213-222.
- Huang TL, Obih PO, Jaiswal R, Hartley WR, Thiyagarajah A (1997) Evaluation of liver and brain esterases in the spotted gar fish (Lepisosteus oculatus) as biomarkers of effect in the lower Mississippi River Basin. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 58: 688-695.
- Hussain S, Rodgers DA, Duhart HM, Ali SF (1997) Mercuric chloride-induced reactive oxygen species and its effect on antioxidant enzymes in different regions of rat brain. J Environ Sci Health B 32: 395-409.
- Jindal M, Garg G. R, Mediratta PK, Fahim M (2011) Protective role of melatonin in myocardial oxidative damage induced by mercury in murine model. Hum Exp Toxicol 30: 1489-1500.
- Kim W, Lee D, Choi J, Kim A, Han S, Park K, Choi J, Kim J, Choi Y, Lee SH, Koh YH (2011) Pharmacogenetic regulation of acetylcholinesterase activity in Drosophila reveals the regulatory mechanisms of AChE inhibitors in synaptic plasticity. Neurochem Res 36: 879-893.
- Kopecka-Pilarczyk J (2010) In vitro effects of pesticides and metals on the activity of acetylcholinesterase (AChE) from different tissues of the blue mussel Mytilus trossulus L. J Environ Sci Health B 45: 46-52.
- Kramer RA, Zakher J, Kim G (1988) Role of the glutathione redox cycle in acquired and de novo multidrug resistance. Science 241: 694-697.
- Kukreja RC, Hess ML (1992) The oxygen free radical system: from equations through membrane-protein interactions to cardiovascular injury and protection. Cardiovasc Res 26: 641-655.
- Lebel CP, Ali SF, Bondy SC (1992) Deferoxamine inhibits methyl mercury-induced increases in reactive oxygen species formation in rat brain. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 112: 161-165.
- Li Y, Zhang J, Zhang L, Si M, Yin H, Li J (2013) Diallyl trisulfide inhibits proliferation invasion and angiogenesis of osteosarcoma cells by switching on suppressor microRNAs and inactivating of Notch-1 signaling. Carcinogenesis 34: 1601-1610.
- Liu J, Lewis G (2014) Environmental toxicity and poor cognitive outcomes in children and adults. J Environ Health 76: 130-138.
- Liu WW, Jiang CQ, Hu ZB, Zhang C, Xu QR, Zhou G (2006) [Mercury concentration in cerebrospinal fluid in patients with chronic mercury poisoning]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi 24: 403-405.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Lucena GM, Franco JL, Ribas CM, Azevedo MS, Meotti FC, Gadotti VM, Dafre AL, Santos AR, Farina M (2007) Cipura paludosa extract prevents methyl mercury-induced neurotoxicity in mice. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 101: 127-131.
- Mieiro CL, Pereira ME, Duarte AC, Pacheco M (2011) Brain as a critical target of mercury in environmentally exposed fish (Dicentrarchus labrax) - bioaccumulation and oxidative stress profiles. Aquat Toxicol 103: 233-240.
- Moraes-Silva L, Siqueira LF, Oliveira VA, Oliveira CS, Ineu RP, Pedroso TF, Fonseca MM, Pereira ME (2014) Preventive effect of CuCl2 on behavioral alterations and mercury accumulation in central nervous system induced by HgCl2 in newborn rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 28: 328-335.
- Nishikimi M, Appaji N, Yagi K (1972) The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 46: 849-854.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979) Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 95: 351-358.
- Othman MS, Safwat G, Aboulkhair M, Abdel Moneim AE (2014) The potential effect of berberine in mercury-induced hepatorenal toxicity in albino rats. Food Chem Toxicol 69: 175-1781.
- Paglia DE, Valentine WN (1967) Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase. J Lab Clin Med 70: 158-169.
- Pinto JT, Rivlin RS (2001) Antiproliferative effects of allium derivatives from garlic. J Nutr 131: 1058S-1060S.
- Rao MV, Purohit A, Patel T (2010) Melatonin protection on mercury-exerted brain toxicity in the rat. Drug Chem Toxicol 33: 209-216.
- Rivlin RS (2001) Historical perspective on the use of garlic. J Nutr 131: 951S-954S.
- Sener G, Sehirli AO, Ayanoglu-Dulger G (2003) Protective effects of melatonin vitamin E and N-acetylcysteine against acetaminophen toxicity in mice: a comparative study. J Pineal Res 35: 61-68.
- Shukla Y, Taneja P (2002) Antimutagenic effects of garlic extract on chromosomal aberrations. Cancer Lett 176: 31-36.
- Simoes Pires EN, Frozza RL, Hoppe JB, Menezes Bde M, Salbego CG (2014) Berberine was neuroprotective against an in vitro model of brain ischemia: survival and apoptosis pathways involved. Brain Res 1557: 26-33.
- Sutton DJ, Tchounwou PB (2006) Mercury-induced externalization of phosphatidylserine and caspase 3 activation in human liver carcinoma (HepG2) cells. Int J Environ Res Public Health 3: 38-42.
- Taber KH, Hurley RA (2008) Mercury exposure: effects across the lifespan. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 20: iv-389.
- Vijayaprakash S, Langeswaran K, Gowtham Kumar S, Revathy R, Balasubramanian MP (2013) Nephro-protective significance of kaempferol on mercuric chloride induced toxicity in Wistar albino rats. Biomedicine & Aging Pathology 3: 119-124.
- Xu Y, Li G, Han C, Sun L, Zhao R, Cui S (2005) Protective effects of Hippophae rhamnoides L. juice on lead-induced neurotoxicity in mice. Biol Pharm Bull 28: 490-494.
- Xuereb B, Lefevre E, Garric J, Geffard O (2009) Acetylcholinesterase activity in Gammarus fossarum (Crustacea Amphipoda): linking AChE inhibition and behavioural alteration. Aquat Toxicol 94: 114-122.
- Yang H, Xu Z, Liu W, Wei Y, Deng Y, Xu B (2012) Effect of grape seed proanthocyanidin extracts on methylmercury-induced neurotoxicity in rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 147: 156-164.
Publication order reference