A novel laccase from fresh fruiting bodies of the wild medicinal mushroom Tricholoma matsutake
Languages of publication
The knowledge about biological activities of constituents from medicinal mushrooms belonging to the genus Tricholoma is limited. A 59-kDa laccase has now been purified from fresh fruiting bodies of the mushroom Tricholoma matsutake. The purification protocol entailed ion exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose, affinity chromatography on Affi-gel blue gel, ion exchange chromatography on CM-cellulose, affinity chromatography on ConA-Sepharose, and gel filtration by fast protein liquid chromatography on Superdex 75. Of the various affinity and ion exchange chromatographic media employed, the laccase bound only on Con A-Sepharose. The activity of the laccase did not undergo major changes over the temperature range 20-80°C. However, all activity vanished following exposure to 100°C for 10 minutes. The enzyme activity varied only slightly over the pH range 3-5, with the optimal pH of 5, but exhibited a precipitous decline when the pH was increased to 6, and was undetectable at pH 8 and 9. The laccase showed activity in the decolorization of azo dyes without a mediator. Its N-terminal sequence demonstrated only slight resemblance to those of other mushroom laccases. The newly described laccase is distinctive from the previously isolated Tricholoma mushroom laccases in a number of aspects.
- Baldrian P (2006) Fungal laccases - occurrence and properties. FEMS Microbiol Rev 30: 215-242.
- Cambria M, Cambria A, Ragusa S, Rizzarelli E (2000) Production, purification, and properties of an extracellular laccase from Rigidoporus lignosus. Protein Expr Purif 18: 141-147.
- Coll PM, Fernandez-Abalos JM, Villanueva JR, Santamaria R, Perez P (1993) Purification and characterization of a phenoloxidase (laccase) from the lignin-degrading basidiomycete PM1 (CECT 2971). Appl Environ Microbiol 59: 2607-2613.
- Dedeyan B, Klonowska A, Tagger S, Tron T, Iacazio G, Gil G, Le PJ (2000) Biochemical and molecular characterization of a laccase from Marasmius quercophilus. Appl Environ Microbiol 66: 925-929.
- Dwivedi UN, Singh P, Pandey VP, Kumar A (2011) Structure-function relationship among bacterial, fungal and plant laccases. J Mol Catal B Enzym 68: 117-128.
- Eggert C, Temp U, Eriksson KE (1996) The ligninolytic system of the white rot fungus Pycnoporus cinnabarinus: purification and characterization of the laccase. Appl Environ Microbiol 62: 1151-1158.
- Forootanfar H, Faramarzi MA, Shahverdi AR, Yazdi MT (2011) Purification and biochemical characterization of extracellular laccase from the ascomycete Paraconiothyrium variabile. Bioresour Technol 102: 1808-1814.
- Fukuda T, Uchida H, Takashima Y, Uwajima T, Kawabata T, Suzuki M (2001) Degradation of bisphenol A by purified laccase from Trametes villosa. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 284: 704-706.
- Galhaup C, Goller S, Peterbauer CK, Strauss J, Haltrich D (2002) Characterization of the major laccase isoenzyme from Trametes pubescens and regulation of its synthesis by metal ions. Microbiology 148: 2159-2169.
- Garzillo AM, Colao MC, Buonocore V, Oliva R, Falcigno L, Saviano M, Santoro AM, Zappala R, Bonomo RP, Bianco C, Giardina P, Palmieri G, Sannia G (2001) Structural and kinetic characterization of native laccases from Pleurotus ostreatus, Rigidoporus lignosus, and Trametes trogii. J Protein Chem 20: 191-201.
- Giardina P, Palmieri G, Scaloni A, Fontanella B, Faraco V, Cennamo G, Sannia G (1999) Protein and gene structure of a blue laccase from Pleurotus ostreatus1. Biochem J 341: 655-663.
- Hatakeyama T, Mizuno K, Kurosawa S (2010) Purification and properties of a nuclease from the fruit body of Tricholoma matsutake. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74: 206-208.
- Hyoung LD, Ho KJ, Sik PJ, Jun CY, Soo LJ (2004) Isolation and characterization of a novel angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptide derived from the edible mushroom Tricholoma giganteum. Peptides 25: 621-627.
- Kiiskinen LL, Viikari L, Kruus K (2002) Purification and characterisation of a novel laccase from the ascomycete Melanocarpus albomyces. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 59: 198-204.
- Laemmli UK, Favre M (1973) Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events. J Mol Biol 80: 575-599.
- Lam SK, Ng TB (2001) First simultaneous isolation of a ribosome inactivating protein and an antifungal protein from a mushroom (Lyophyllum shimeji) together with evidence for synergism of their antifungal effects. Arch Biochem Biophys 393: 271-280.
- Leonowicz A, Malinowska M (1982) Purification of the constitutive and inducible forms of laccase of the fungus Pholiota mutabilis by affinity chromatography. Acta Biochim Pol 29: 219-226.
- Li M, Zhang G, Wang H, Ng T (2010) Purification and characterization of a laccase from the edible wild mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. J Microbiol Biotechnol 20: 1069-1076.
- May SW (1999) Applications of oxidoreductases. Curr Opin Biotechnol 10: 370-375.
- Nagai M, Sato T, Watanabe H, Saito K, Kawata M, Enei H (2002) Purification and characterization of an extracellular laccase from the edible mushroom Lentinula edodes, and decolorization of chemically different dyes. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 60: 327-335.
- Palmieri G, Giardina P, Marzullo L, Desiderio B, Nitti G, Cannio R, Sannia G (1993) Stability and activity of a phenol oxidase from the ligninolytic fungus Pleurotus ostreatus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 39: 632-636.
- Piontek K, Antorini M, Choinowski T (2002) Crystal structure of a laccase from the fungus Trametes versicolor at 1.90-A resolution containing a full complement of coppers. J Biol Chem 277: 37663-37669.
- Reinhammar B (1970) Purification and properties of laccase and stellacyanin from Rhus vernicifera. Biochim Biophys Acta 205: 35-47.
- Shin KS, Lee YJ (2000) Purification and characterization of a new member of the laccase family from the white-rot basidiomycete Coriolus hirsutus. Arch Biochem Biophys 384: 109-115.
- Sun J, Wang H, Ng T (2011) Isolation of a laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from fresh fruting bodies of the Lentinus edodes (Shiitake mushroom). Indian J Biochem Biophys 48: 88-94.
- Telke AA, Ghodake GS, Kalyani DC, Dhanve RS, Govindwar SP (2011) Biochemical characteristics of a textile dye degrading extracellular laccase from a Bacillus sp. ADR. Bioresour Technol 102: 1752-1756.
- Tinoco R, Pickard MA, Vazquez-Duhalt R (2001) Kinetic differences of purified laccases from six Pleurotus ostreatus strains. Lett Appl Microbiol 32: 331-335.
- Tong H, Liu X, Tian D, Sun X (2013) Purification, chemical characterization and radical scavenging activities of alkali-extracted polysaccharide fractions isolated from the fruit bodies of Tricholoma matsutake. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 29: 775-780.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2004a) Purification of a novel low-molecular-mass laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom Tricholoma giganteum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315: 450-454.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2004b) A new laccase from dried fruiting bodies of the monkey head mushroom Hericium erinaceum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322: 17-21.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2006a) A laccase from the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72: 508-513.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2006b) Purification of a laccase from fruiting bodies of the mushroom Pleurotus eryngii. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 69: 521-525.
- Wang HX, Liu WK, Ng TB, Ooi VE, Chang ST (1995) Immunomodulatory and antitumor activities of a polysaccharide-peptide complex from a mycelial culture of Tricholoma sp., a local edible mushroom. Life Sci 57: 269-281.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Liu WK, Ooi VE, Chang ST (1995) Isolation and characterization of two distinct lectins with antiproliferative activity from the cultured mycelium of the edible mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Int J Pept Protein Res 46: 508-513.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Ooi VE, Liu WK, Chang ST (1996) A polysaccharide-peptide complex from cultured mycelia of the mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum with immunoenhancing and antitumor activities. Biochem Cell Biol 74: 95-100.
- Wang HX, Ooi VE, Ng TB, Chiu KW, Chang ST (1996) Hypotensive and vasorelaxing activities of a lectin from the edible mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Pharmacol Toxicol 79: 318-323.
- Xu F (2005) Applications of oxidoreductases: Recent progress. Industrial Biotechnol 1: 38-50.
- Xu L, Wang H, Ng T (2012) A laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the broth of mycelial culture of the mushroom Lentinus tigrinus. J Biomed Biotechnol 2012: 536725.
- Younes SB, Sayadi S (2011) Purification and characterization of a novel trimeric and thermotolerant laccase produced from the ascomycete Scytalidium thermophilum strain. J Mol Catal B Enzym 73: 35-42.
- Zhang GQ, Tianl T, Liu YP, Wang HX, Chen QJ (2011) A laccase with anti-proliferative activity against tumor cells from a white root fungus Abortiporus biennis. Process Biochem 46: 2336-2340.
- Zhang GQ, Wangl YF, Zhang XQ, Ng TB, Wang HX (2010) Purification and characterization of a novel laccase from the edible mushroom Clitocybe maxima. Process Biochem 45: 627-633.
Publication order reference