Ionizing radiation affects protein composition of exosomes secreted in vitro from head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
Languages of publication
Exosomes are membrane vesicles of endocytic origin that participate in inter-cellular communication. Environmental and physiological conditions affect composition of secreted exosomes, their abundance and potential influence on recipient cells. Here, we analyzed protein component of exosomes released in vitro from cells exposed to ionizing radiation (2Gy dose) and compared their content with composition of exosomes released from control not irradiated cells. Exosomes secreted from FaDu cells originating from human squamous head and neck cell carcinoma were analyzed using LC-MS/MS approach. We have found that exposure to ionizing radiation resulted in gross changes in exosomal cargo. There were 217 proteins identified in exosomes from control cells and 384 proteins identified in exosomes from irradiated cells, including 148 "common" proteins, 236 proteins detected specifically after irradiation and 69 proteins not detected after irradiation. Among proteins specifically overrepresented in exosomes from irradiated cells were those involved in transcription, translation, protein turnover, cell division and cell signaling. This indicated that exosomal cargo reflected radiation-induced changes in cellular processes like transient suppression of transcription and translation or stress-induced signaling.
- Arscott WT, Tandle AT, Zhao S, Shabason JE, Gordon IK, Schlaff CD, Zhang G, Tofilon PJ, Camphausen KA (2013) Ionizing radiation and glioblastoma exosomes: implications in tumor biology and cell migration. Transl Oncol 6: 638-648.
- Balaj L, Lessard R, Dai L, Cho YJ, Pomeroy SL, Breakefield XO, Skog J (2011) Tumour microvesicles contain retrotransposon elements and amplified oncogene sequences. Nat Commun 2: 180.
- Berditchevski F, Odintsova E (2007) Tetraspanins as regulators of protein trafficking. Traffic 8: 89-96.
- Gibbings DJ, Ciaudo C, Erhardt M, Voinnet O (2009) Multivesicular bodies associate with components of miRNA effector complexes and modulate miRNA activity. Nat Cell Biol 11: 1143-1149.
- Honegger A, Leitz J, Bulkescher J, Hoppe-Seyler K, Hoppe-Seyler F (2013) Silencing of human papillomavirus (HPV) E6/E7 oncogene expression affects both the contents and the amounts of extracellular microvesicles released from HPV-positive cancer cells. Int J Cancer 133: 1631-1642.
- Hurwitz MD, Kaur P, Nagaraja GM, Bausero MA, Manola J, Asea A (2010) Radiation therapy induces circulating serum Hsp72 in patients with prostate cancer. Radiother Oncol 95: 350-358.
- Jella KK, Rani S, O'Driscoll L, McClean B, Byrne HJ, Lyng FM (2014) Exosomes are involved in mediating radiation induced bystander signaling in human keratinocyte cells. Radiat Res 181: 138-145.
- Jensen LJ, Kuhn M, Stark M, Chaffron S, Creevey C, Muller J, Doerks T, Julien P, Roth A, Simonovic M, Bork P, von Mering C (2009) STRING 8 - a global view on proteins and their functional interactions in 630 organisms. Nucleic Acids Res 37: D412-D416.
- Khan S, Jutzy JM, Aspe JR, McGregor DW, Neidigh JW, Wall NR (2011) Survivin is released from cancer cells via exosomes. Apoptosis 16: 1-12.
- Lehmann BD, Paine MS, Brooks AM, McCubrey JA, Renegar RH, Wang R, Terrian DM (2008) Senescence-associated exosome release from human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res 68: 7864-7871.
- Maecker HT, Todd SC, Levy S (1997) The tetraspanin superfamily: molecular facilitators. Faseb j 11: 428-442.
- Mathivanan S, Fahner CJ, Reid GE, Simpson RJ (2012) ExoCarta 2012: database of exosomal proteins, RNA and lipids. Nucleic Acids Res 40: D1241-D1244.
- Miranda KC, Bond DT, McKee M, Skog J, Paunescu TG, Da Silva N, Brown D, Russo LM (2010) Nucleic acids within urinary exosomes/microvesicles are potential biomarkers for renal disease. Kidney Int 78: 191-199.
- Ostrowski M, Carmo NB, Krumeich S, Fanget I, Raposo G, Savina A, Moita CF, Schauer K, Hume AN, Freitas RP, Goud B, Benaroch P, Hacohen N, Fukuda M, Desnos C, Seabra MC, Darchen F, Amigorena S, Moita LF, Thery C (2010) Rab27a and Rab27b control different steps of the exosome secretion pathway. Nat Cell Biol 12: 19-30 (sup pp 11-13).
- Polanski A, Polanska J, Jaksik R (2014) NucleoAnnot application was developed as a part of the GENEPI low-RT project (FP6-036452). Available online:
- Raimondo F, Morosi L, Chinello C, Magni F, Pitto M (2011) Advances in membranous vesicle and exosome proteomics improving biological understanding and biomarker discovery. Proteomics 11: 709-720.
- Schageman J, Zeringer E, Li M, Barta T, Lea K, Gu J, Magdaleno S, Setterquist R, Vlassov AV (2013) The complete exosome workflow solution: from isolation to characterization of RNA cargo. Biomed Res Int 2013: 253957.
- Sheridan MT, O'Dwyer T, Seymour CB, Mothersill CE (1997) Potential indicators of radiosensitivity in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Radiat Oncol Investig 5: 180-186.
- Stoorvogel W, Kleijmeer MJ, Geuze HJ, Raposo G (2002) The biogenesis and functions of exosomes. Traffic 3: 321-330.
- Subra C, Laulagnier K, Perret B, Record M (2007) Exosome lipidomics unravels lipid sorting at the level of multivesicular bodies. Biochimie 89: 205-212.
- Taylor DD, Gercel-Taylor C (2008) MicroRNA signatures of tumor-derived exosomes as diagnostic biomarkers of ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 110: 13-21.
- Thery C, Amigorena S, Raposo G, Clayton A (2006) Isolation and characterization of exosomes from cell culture supernatants and biological fluids. Curr Protoc Cell Biol Chapter 3: Unit 3.22.
- Thery C, Boussac M, Veron P, Ricciardi-Castagnoli P, Raposo G, Garin J, Amigorena S (2001) Proteomic analysis of dendritic cell-derived exosomes: a secreted subcellular compartment distinct from apoptotic vesicles. J Immunol 166: 7309-7318.
- Villarroya-Beltri C, Baixauli F, Gutierrez-Vazquez C, Sanchez-Madrid F, Mittelbrunn M (2014) Sorting it out: regulation of exosome loading. Semin Cancer Biol 28: 3-13.
- Vlassov AV, Magdaleno S, Setterquist R, Conrad R (2012) Exosomes: current knowledge of their composition, biological functions, and diagnostic and therapeutic potentials. Biochim Biophys Acta 1820: 940-948.
- Wisniewski JR, Mann M (2012) Consecutive proteolytic digestion in an enzyme reactor increases depth of proteomic and phosphoproteomic analysis. Anal Chem 84: 2631-2637.
- Wisniewski JR, Zielinska DF, Mann M (2011) Comparison of ultrafiltration units for proteomic and N-glycoproteomic analysis by the filter-aided sample preparation method. Anal Biochem 410: 307-309.
- Wisniewski JR, Zougman A, Mann M (2009) Combination of FASP and StageTip-based fractionation allows in-depth analysis of the hippocampal membrane proteome. J Proteome Res 8: 5674-5678.
- Yu X, Riley T, Levine AJ (2009) The regulation of the endosomal compartment by p53 the tumor suppressor gene. Febs j 276: 2201-2212.
- Zitvogel L, Regnault A, Lozier A, Wolfers J, Flament C, Tenza D, Ricciardi-Castagnoli P, Raposo G, Amigorena S (1998) Eradication of established murine tumors using a novel cell-free vaccine: dendritic cell-derived exosomes. Nat Med
Publication order reference