Methyl jasmonate stimulates biosynthesis of 2-phenylethylamine, phenylacetic acid and 2-phenylethanol in seedlings of common buckwheat
Languages of publication
Methyl jasmonate has a strong effect on secondary metabolizm in plants, by stimulating the biosynthesis a number of phenolic compounds and alkaloids. Common buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) is an important source of biologically active compounds. This research focuses on the detection and quantification of 2-phenylethylamine and its possible metabolites in the cotyledons, hypocotyl and roots of common buckwheat seedlings treated with methyl jasmonate. In cotyledons of buckwheat sprouts, only traces of 2-phenylethylamine were found, while in the hypocotyl and roots its concentration was about 150 and 1000-times higher, respectively. Treatment with methyl jasmonate resulted in a 4-fold increase of the 2-phenylethylamine level in the cotyledons of 7-day buckwheat seedlings, and an 11-fold and 5-fold increase in hypocotyl and roots, respectively. Methyl jasmonate treatment led also to about 4-fold increase of phenylacetic acid content in all examined seedling organs, but did not affect the 2-phenylethanol level in cotyledons, and slightly enhanced in hypocotyl and roots. It has been suggested that 2-phenylethylamine is a substrate for the biosynthesis of phenylacetic acid and 2-phenylethanol, as well as cinnamoyl 2-phenethylamide. In organs of buckwheat seedling treated with methyl jasmonate, higher amounts of aromatic amino acid transaminase mRNA were found. The enzyme can be involved in the synthesis of phenylpyruvic acid, but the presence of this compound could not be confirmed in any of the examined organs of common buckwheat seedling.
- Aubert C, Baumann S, Arguel H (2005) Optimization of the analysis of flavor volatile compounds by liquid-liquid microextraction (LLME). Application to the aroma analysis of melons, peaches, grapes, strawberries, and tomatoes. J Agric Food Chem 53: 8881-8895.
- Chen XM, Kobayashi H, Sakai M, Hirata H, Asai T, Ohnishi T, Baldermann S, Watanabe N (2011) Functional characterization of rose phenylacetaldehyde reductase (PAR), an enzyme involved in the biosynthesis of the scent compound 2-phenylethanol. J Plant Physiol 168: 88-95.
- De Geyter N, Gholami A, Goormachtig S, Goossens A (2012) Transcriptional machineries in jasmonate-elicited plant secondary metabolizm. Trends Plant Sci 17: 349-359.
- Gamborg OL, Wetter LR (1963) An aromatic amino acid transaminase from mung bean. Can J Biochem Physiol 41: 1733-1740.
- Hirata H, Ohnishi T, Ishida H, Tomida K, Sakai M, Hara M, Watanabe N (2012) Functional characterization of aromatic amino acid aminotransferase involved in 2-phenylethanol biosynthesis in isolated rose petal protoplasts. J Plant Physiol 169: 444- 451.
- Horbowicz M, Chrzanowski G, Koczkodaj D, Mitrus J (2011a) The effect of methyl jasmonate vapors on content of phenolic compounds in seedlings of common buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench). Acta Soc Bot Pol 80: 5-9.
- Horbowicz M, Grzesiuk A, Dębski H, Koczkodaj D, Saniewski M (2008) Methyl jasmonate inhibits anthocyanins synthesis in seedlings of common buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench). Acta Biol Cracov Bot 50: 71-78.
- Horbowicz M, Kosson R, Wiczkowski W, Koczkodaj D, Mitrus J (2011b) The effect of methyl jasmonate on accumulation of 2-phenylethylamine and putrescine in seedlings of common buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum). Acta Physiol Plant 33: 897-903.
- Iqbal Z, Hiradate S, Noda A, Isojima S, Fujii Y (2003) Allelopathic activity of buckwheat: isolation and characterization of phenolics. Weed Sci 51: 657-662.
- Janeš D, Kantar D, Kreft S, Prosen H (2009) Identification of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) aroma compounds with GC-MS. Food Chem 112: 120 -124.
- Jenrich R, Trompetter I, Bak S, Olsen CE, Moller BL, Piotrowski M (2007) Evolution of heteromeric nitrilase complexes in Poaceae with new functions in nitrile metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 18848-18853.
- Karuppusamy S (2009) A review on trends in production of secondary metabolites from higher plants by in vitro tissue, organ and cell cultures. J Med Plants Res 3: 1222 -1239.
- Kim HJ, Park KJ, Lim JH (2011) Metabolomic analysis of phenolic compounds in buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) sprouts treated with methyl jasmonate. J Agric Food Chem 59: 5707−5713.
- Kim SL, Kim SK, Park CH (2004) Introduction and nutritional evaluation of buckwheat sprouts as a new vegetable. Food Res Int 37: 319-327.
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD (2001) Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCt method. Methods 25: 402-408.
- Ludwig-Müller J, Cohen JD (2002) Identification and quantification of three active auxins in different tissues of Tropaeolum majus. Physiol Plant 115: 320-329.
- Mano Y, Nemoto K (2012) The pathway of auxin biosynthesis in plants. J Exp Bot 63: 2853-2872.
- Metlin Scripps Database
- Mioduszewska H, Klocek J, Horbowicz M, Wolska K (2013) Effect of water extracts from tissues of common buckwheat on seed germination and seedling growth of winter wheat and lettuce. Acta Sci Pol-Agric 12: 45-54.
- Morris DA, Johnson CF (1987) Regulation of auxin transport in pea (Pisum sativum L.) by phenylacetic acid: inhibition of polar auxin transport in intact plants and stem segments. Planta 172: 408-416.
- Onal A, Tekkeli SE, Onal C (2013) A review of the liquid chromatographic methods for the determination of biogenic amines in foods. Food Chem 138: 509-515.
- Ruiz-García Y, Gómez-Plaza E (2013) Elicitors: a tool for improving fruit phenolic content. Agriculture-London 3: 33-52.
- Sakai M, Hirata H, Sayama H, Sekiguchi K, Itano H, Asai T, Dohra H, Hara M, Watanabe N (2007) Production of 2-phenylethanol in roses as the dominant floral scent compound from l-phenylalanine by two key enzymes, a PLP-dependent decarboxylase and a phenylacetaldehyde reductase. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 71: 2408-2419.
- Sandorf I, Holländer-Czytko H (2002) Jasmonate is involved in the induction of tyrosine aminotransferase and tocopherol biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 216: 173 -179.
- Shabana M, Gonaid M, Salama MM, Abdel-Sattar E (2006) Phenylalkylamine alkaloids from Stapelia hirsuta L. Nat Prod Res 20: 710-714.
- Smith TA (1977) Phenethylamine and related compounds in plants. Phytochemistry 16: 9-18.
- Szwed M, Sławianowska J, Koczkodaj D, Mitrus J, Sytykiewicz H, Horbowicz M (2014) Allelopathic properties of extract and some metabolites present in the tissues of common buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) seedlings. Acta Sci Pol-Agric 13: 139-151.
- Tieman DM, Taylor M, Schauer N, Fernie AR, Hanson AD, Klee HJ (2006) Tomato aromatic amino acid decarboxylases participate in synthesis of the flavor volatiles 2-phenylethanol and 2-phenylacetaldehyde. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 8287-8292.
- Tieman DM, Loucas HM, Kim JY, Clark DG, Klee HJ (2007) Tomato phenylacetaldehyde reductases catalyze the last step in the synthesis of the aroma volatile 2-phenylethanol. Phytochemistry 68: 2660-2669.
- Tomè F, Campedelli L, Bellini E (1975) Distribution of phenylalanine transaminase and phenylalanine ammonia-lyase activities in etiolated and light irradiated radish seedlings (Raphanus sativus L.). Experientia 31: 1119-1121.
- Wasternack C (2007) Jasmonates: an update on biosynthesis, signal transduction and action in plant stress response, growth and development. Ann Bot 100: 681-697.
- Wightman F, Lighty DL (1982) Identification of phenylacetic acid as a natural auxin in the shoots of higher plants. Physiol Plant 55: 17-24.
- Yajima I, Yanai T, Nakamura M, Sakakibara H, Uchida H, Hayashi K (1983) Volatile flavor compounds of boiled buckwheat flour. Agr Biol Chem 47: 729-738.
- Zhang S, Yan Y, Wang B, Liang Z, Liu Y, Liu F, Qi Z (2014) Selective responses of enzymes in the two parallel pathways of rosmarinic acid biosynthetic pathway to elicitors in Salvia miltiorrhiza hairy root cultures. J Biosci Bioeng 117: 645-651.
- Zhang YM, Livingstone JR, Hirasawa E (2012) Purification and characterisation of monoamine oxidase from Avena sativa. Acta Physiol Plant 34: 1411-1419.
Publication order reference