Preliminary result of a genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin gene and the phylogenetic study of ten balkan and central european indigenous sheep breeds
Languages of publication
Genetic polymorphism at the β-lactoglobulin (β-LG) loci in indigenous sheep breeds (Tsigai, Racka, Pramenka) was determined. Altogether 904 sheep were genotyped for the presence of the A, B and C alleles of β-lactoglobulin by PCR-RFLP. The AB genotype was the most common and the β-lactoglobulin A was the most frequent in the Cokanski Tsigai (54%), while the B allele was the most common in the Rusty and the Zomborski Tsigai (59%, 60%). The C allele was found only in one individual from Serbian Cokanski flock. These results differ from those that refer to other native sheep breeds. In the Cokanski Tsigai, deviation from the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium was detected. Genetic relationship based on β-lactoglobulin polymorphism was the closest between the Rusty and the Cokanski Tsigai among the studied populations and between sheep and goat among the other ruminants. Part of the promoter region (254 bp) of β-LG in studied sheep breeds were sequenced in order to identify polymorphisms, analyze haplotypes, and phylogenetic relationship among them. Sequencing analysis and alignment of the obtained sequences showed one haplotype. Analysis of more samples and longer parts of the promoter region of β-LG are needed to reconstruct a phylogenetic tree.
- Aliev GA, Koloteva RS (1975) Geneticheskoe raznoobrazie beta-laktoglobulina V moloke ovets. Anim Breed Abstr 43: 400.
- Amigo L, Recio I, Ramos M (2000) Genetic polymorphism of ovine milk proteins: its influence on technological properties of milk - a review. Int Dairy J 10: 135-149.
- Anton I, Zsolnai A, Fésüs L, Kukovics S, Molnár A (1999) Survey of β-lactoglobulin and αs1-casein polymorphism in Hungarian dairy sheep breeds and crosses at DNA level. Arch für Tierzucht 42: 387-392.
- Arora R, Bhatia S, Mishra BP, Sharma R, Pandey AK, Prakash B, Jain A (2010) Genetic Polymorphism of the β-Lactoglobulin Gene in Native Sheep from India Biochem Genet 48: 304-311.
- Aschaffenburg R, Drewry J (1955) Occurrence of different beta-lactoglobulin in cow's milk. Nature 176: 218-219.
- Bolla P, Caroli A, Mezzelani A, Rizzi R, Pragnacco G, Fraghi A, Casu S (1989) Milk protein markers and production in sheep. Anim Genet 20: 78-79.
- Bürgin-Wolff A, Signer E, Friess HM, Berger R, Birbaumer A, Just M (1980) The diagnostic significance of antibodies to various cow's milk proteins. Eur J Pediatr 133: 17-24.
- Casper JL, Wendorff WL, Thomas DL (1998) Seasonal changes in protein composition of whey from commercial manufacture of caprine and ovine specialty cheeses. J Dairy Sci 81: 3117-3122.
- Cubrik-Curik V, Feligini M, Lukac-Havranek J, Curik I, Enne G (2002) Genetic Polymorphism of beta-Lactoglobulin in Native Sheep from the Island of Pag. Food Technol Biotechnol 40: 75-78.
- Dario C, Carnicella D, Dario M, Bufano G (2008) Genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin gene and effect on milk composition in Leccese sheep. Small Rum Res 74: 270-273.
- Di Stasio L, Portolano B, Todare M, Fiandra P, Giaccone P, Finocchiaro R, Alicata ML (1997) Effect of ovine β-lactoglobulin genotype on cheese yield and composition. IDF/FIL 9702: 324-327.
- Draganescu C (2007) A note on Balkan sheep breeds origin and their taxonomy. Archiva Zootechnica 10: 90-101.
- Edgar RC (2004) MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Res 32: 1792-1797.
- El-Agamy EI, Abou-Shloue ZI, Abdel-Kader YI (1997) A comparative study of milk proteins from different species. II. Electrophoretic patterns, molecular characterization, amino acid composition and immunological relationships. Third Alexandria Conference on Food Science and Technology pp 1-3. March 1997. Alexandria. Egypt.
- Elmaci C, Oner Y, Balcioglu S (2006) Genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin gene in Native Turkish sheep breeds. Biochem Genet 44: 379-384.
- El-Shazly SA, Mahfouz ME, Al-Otaibi SA, Ahmed MM (2012) Genetic polymorphism in β-lactoglobulin gene of some sheep breeds in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and its influence on milk composition. Afr J Biotechnol 11: 4330-4337.
- Erhardt G (1989) Evidence for a third allele at the β-lactoglobulin (β-Lg) locus of sheep milk and its occurence in different breeds. Anim Genet 20: 197-204.
- Feligini M, Parma P, Aleandri R, Greppi GF, Enne G (1998) PCR-RFLP test for direct determination of β-lactoglobulin genotype in sheep. Anim Genet 29: 473-474.
- Fogolari F, Ragona L, Licciardi S, Romagnoli S, Michelutti R, Ugolini R, Molinari H (2000) Electrostatic properties of bovine β-lactoglobulin. Proteins 39: 317-330.
- Folch JM, Coll A, Sanchez A (1994) Complete sequence of the caprine β-lactoglobulin gene. J Dairy Sci 77: 3493-3497.
- Hambling SG, McAlpine AS, Sawyer L (1992) β-lactoglobulin. In: Advanced Dairy Chemistry, Proteins. Vol 1. Elsevier Applied Science. Fox PF, eds, pp 141-190. London.
- Hayes HC, Petit EJ (1993) Mapping of the β-Lactoglobulin gene and of an immunoglobulin M-heavy chain-like sequence to homologous cattle, sheep and goat chromosomes. Mamm Genome 4: 207-210.
- Ivankovic A, Dovc P (2004) Polymorphisms of β-lactoglobulin and αs1-casein genes in the Pag Island sheep. Acta Agric Slovenica 84: 121-130.
- Kappeler S (1998) Compositional and structural analysis of camel milk proteins with emphasis on protective proteins. PhD thesis. pp 59-62. Swiss Federal Intitute of Technology, Zurich. Switzerland.
- Kawecka A, Radko A (2011) Genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin in sheep raised for milk production. J Appl Anim Res 39: 68-71.
- Kerekes A, Baranyi M, Nagy S, Kovács P, Bősze Zs (2008) Beta-lactoglobulin genetic polymorphisms in Hungarian Awassi and Racka sheep. Animal welfare, ethology and housing systems 4: 437-444.
- Mroczkowski S, Korman K, Erhardt G, Piwczynski D, Borys B (2004) Sheep milk protein polymorphism and its effect on milk performance of Polish Merino. Arch für Tierzucht 47: 114-121.
- Librado P, Rozas J (2009) DnaSP v5: A software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25: 1451-1452.
- Lopez-Galvez G, Amigo L, Ramos M (1994) Genetic polymorphism of whey proteins in two ovine breeds. Milchwissenchaft 49: 123-125.
- Macha J, Novackova I (1974) Geneticky polymorfismus beta-laktogloblinu V mlece ovci. Zivocisma Vyroba 19: 883-888.
- Mastrangelo S, Sardina MT, Riggio V, Portolano B (2012) Study of polymorphisms in the promoter region of ovine b-lactoglobulin gene and phylogenetic analysis among the Valle del Belice breed and other sheep breeds considered as ancestors. Mol Biol Rep 39: 745-751.
- Meie M, Conte G, Serra A, Buccioni A, Secchiari P (2006) Relationships between beta-lactoglobulin polymorphism and milk fatty acid composition in milk of Massese dairy ewes. Small Rum Res 73: 37-44.
- Mercier JC, Vilotte JC (1993) Structure and function of milk protein genes. J Dairy Sci 76: 3079-3098.
- Mohammadi A, Nassiry MR, Elyasi G, Shodja J (2006) Genetic polymorphism of β-lactoglobulin in certain Iranian and Russian sheep breeds. Iran J Biotechnol 4: 265-268.
- Moioli B, Pilla F, Tripaldi C (1998) Detection of milk protein genetic polymorphisms in order to improve dairy traits in sheep and goats: a review. Small Rum Res 27: 185-195.
- Moioli B, D'Andrea M, Pilla F (2007) Candidate genes affecting sheep and goat milk quality. Small Rum Res 68: 179-192.
- Nassiry R, Shoja J, Elyasi G (2002) The determination of β-lactoglobulin gene polymorphism in some Iranian and Russian sheep breeds. The 3rd International Iran and Russia Conference, pp 50. September 18-20. Moscow Russia.
- Pietrola E, Carta A, Fraghi A, Piredda G, Pilla F (2000) Effect of β-lactoglobulin locus on milk yield in Sarda ewes. Zootr Nutr Anim 26: 129-133.
- Piwczyński D, Borys B, Mroczkowski S, Erhardt G, Jarzynowska A (2002) Charakterystyka polimorfizmu bialek mleka i cech mlecznosci merynosa polskiego i jego mieszańców z rasami plennymi [Milk protein polymorphism and milk production traits in Polish Merino and Polish Merino crosses with prolific breeds]. Prace i Materialy Zootechniczne 14: 151-161.
- Ramos AM, Matos CAP, Russo-Almeida PA, Bettencourt CMV, Matos J, Martins A, Pinheiro C, Rangel-Figueiredo T (2009) Candidate genes for milk production traits in Portuguese dairy sheep. Small Rumin Res 82: 117-121.
- Rampilli M, Cecchi F, Giuliotti L, Cattaneo GM (1997) The influence of B-lg genetic polymorphism on protein distribution and coagulation properties in milk of Massese breed ewes. Proc. IDF Seminar 'Milk protein polymorphism', pp 311-315. Brussels.
- Recio I, Fernandez-Fournier A, Matin-Alvarez PJ, Ramos M (1997) β-lactoglobulin polymorphism in ovine breeds: influence on cheese-making properties and milk composition. Lait 77: 259-265.
- Sieber R (2000) Allergens in milk. Allergologi 23: 5-12.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S (2007) MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol 24: 1596-1599.
- Taylor SL (1986) Immunologic and allergic properties of cow's milk proteins in humans. J Food Prot 49: 239-250.
- Thomas AS, Dawe ST, Walker RA (1989) Milk protein polymorphism in Hyfer and Border Leicester X Merino sheep. Milchwissenschaft 44: 686-688.
- Yeh FC, Yong R (1999) POPGENE version 1.31: Microsoft-based Freeware for Population Genetic Analysis. University of Alberta, Edmonton, CA.
- Yousefi S, Azari MA, Zerehdaran S, Samiee R, Khataminejhad R (2013) Effect of β-lactoglobulin and κ-casein genes polymorphism on milk composition in indigenous Zel sheep. Arch für Tierzucht 56: 216-224.
- Zsolnai A, Orbán L (1999) Accelerated separation of random complex DNA patterns in gels: comparing the performance of discontinuous and continuous buffers. Electrophoresis 7: 1462-1468.
Publication order reference