A novel matrix for hydrophobic interaction chromatography and its application in lysozyme adsorption
Languages of publication
A novel 1-naphthylamine (NA) coupled poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate-co-N-methacryloyl-(L)-histidine methyl ester) [NA-PHEMAH] supermacroporous monolithic hydrophobic cryogel was prepared via covalent coupling of NA to PHEMAH for adsorption of lysozyme from aqueous solution. Firstly, PHEMAH monolithic cryogel was prepared by radical cryocopolymerization of HEMA with MAH as a functional comonomer and N,N'-methylene-bisacrylamide (MBAAm) as a crosslinker directly in a plastic syringe, and then NA molecules were covalently attached to the imidazole rings of MAH groups of the polymeric structure. The prepared, NA-PHEMAH, supermacroporous monolithic hydrophobic cryogel was characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The effects of initial lysozyme concentration, pH, salt type, temperature and flow rate on the adsorption efficiency of monolithic hydrophobic cryogel were studied in a column system. The maximum amount of lysozyme adsorption from aqueous solution in phosphate buffer was 86.1 mg/g polymer at pH 8.0 with a flow rate of 1 mL/min. It was observed that lysozyme could be repeatedly adsorbed and desorbed with the NA-PHEMAH monolithic hydrophobic cryogel without significant loss of the adsorption capacity.
- Altintas EB, Denizli A (2009) Monosize magnetic hydrophobic beads for lysozyme purification under magnetic field. Mat Sci Eng C 29: 1627-1634.
- Altintas EB, Tuzmen N, Candan N, Denizli A (2007) Use of magnetic poly(glycidyl methacrylate) monosize beads for the purification of lysozyme in batch system. J Chromatogr B 853: 105-113.
- Avcibasi N, Uygun M, Corman ME, Akgol S, Denizli A (2010) Application of supermacroporous monolithic hydrophobic cryogel in capturing of albumin. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 162: 2232-2234.
- Baydemir G, Odabasi M (2013) Microsphere-embedded cryogel for selective and efficient depletion of immunoglobulin G from human serum. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 41: 319-326.
- Burden CS, Jin J, Podgornik A, Bracewell DG (2012) A monolith purification process for virus-like particles from yeast homogenate. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 880: 82-89.
- Ceylan S, Odabasi M (2013) A novel adsorbent for DNA adsorbent: Fe3+-attached sporopollenin embedded composite cryogels. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 41: 376-383.
- Denizli A, Alkan M, Garipcan B, Ozkara S, Piskin E (2003) Novel metal-chelate affinity adsorbent for purification of immunoglobulin-G from human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 795: 93-103.
- Denkbas EB, Odabasi M, Kılıçay E, Özdemir N (2002) HSA adsorption with chitosan microspheres. J Appl Polym Sci 86: 3035-3039.
- Diogo MM, Queiroz JA, Monteiro GA, Martins SA, Ferreira GN, Prazeres DM (2000) Purification of a cystic fibrosis plasmid vector for gene therapy using hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 68: 576-583.
- Diogo MM, Queiroz JA, Monteiro GA, Prazeres DM (1999) Separation and analysis of plasmid denatured forms using hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Anal Biochem 275: 122-124.
- Erzengin M, Unlu N, Odabasi M (2011) A novel adsorbent for protein chromatography: supermacroporous monolithic cryogel embedded with Cu2+-attached sporopollenin particles. J Chromatogr A 1218: 484-490.
- Ghosh R, Silva SS, Cui ZF (2000) Lysozyme separation by hollow fibre ultrafiltration. Biochem Eng J 6: 19-24.
- Graumann K, Ebenbichler AA (2005) Development and scale up of preparative HIC for the purification of a recombinant therapeutic protein. Chem Eng Technol 28: 1398-1407.
- Huang J, Liu Y, Jin Q, Wang X, Yang J (2007) Adsorption studies of a water soluble dye, reactive red MF-3B, using sonication-surfactant-modified attapulgite clay. J Hazard Mater 143: 541-548.
- Jungbauer A (2005) Chromatographic media for bioseparation. J Chromatogr A 1065: 3-12.
- Kvassman JO, Shore JD (1995) Purification of human plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) from Escherichia coli and separation of its active and latent forms by hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Fibrinolysis 9: 215-221.
- Lozinsky VI, Galaev IY, Plieva FM, Savina IN, Jungvid H, Mattiasson B (2003) Polymeric cryogels as promising materials of biotechnological interest. Trends Biotechnol 21: 445-451.
- Lu AX, Liao XP, Zhou RQ, Shi B (2007) Preparation of Fe(III)-immobilized collagen fiber for lysozyme adsorption. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 301: 85-93.
- Manzke O, Tesch H, Diehl V, Bohlen H (1997) Single-step purification of bispecific monoclonal-antibodies for immunotherapeutic use by hydrophobic interaction chromatography. J Immunol Methods 208: 65-73.
- Murakami F, Sasaki T, Sugahara T (1997) Lysozyme stimulates immunoglobulin production by human-human hybridoma and human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Cytotechnology 24: 177-182.
- O'Connor KC, Ghatak S, Stollar BD (2000) Use of hydrophobic interaction chromatography to separate recombinant antibody fragments from associated bacterial chaperone protein GroEL. Anal Biochem 278: 239-241.
- Odabasi M, Denizli A (2004) Cibacron blue F3GA incorporated magnetic poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) beads for lysozyme adsorption. J Appl Polym Sci 93: 719-725.
- Oncel S, Uzun L, Garipcan B, Denizli A (2005) Synthesis of phenylalanine-containing hydrophobic beads for lysozyme adsorption. Ind Eng Chem Res 44: 7049-7056.
- Queiroz JA, Tomaz CT, Cabral JM (2001) Hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins. J Biotechnol 87: 143-159.
- Perkins TW, Mak DS, Root TW, Lightfoot EN (1997) Protein retention in hydrophobic interaction chromatography-modeling variation with buffer ionic-strength and column hydrophobicity. J Chromatogr A 766: 1-14.
- Rojas EE, Coimbra JS, Minim LA, Saraiva SH, Silva CA (2006) Hydrophobic interaction adsorption of hen egg white proteins albumin, conalbumin and lysozyme. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 840: 85-93.
- Ueberbacher R, Haimer E, Hahn R, Jungbauer A (2008) Hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins V. Quantitative assessment of conformational changes. J Chromatogr A 1198-1199: 154-163.
- Ueberbacher R, Rodler A, Hahn R, Jungbauer A (2010) Hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins: Thermodynamic analysis of conformational changes. J Chromatogr A 1217: 184-190.
- Unlu N, Ceylan S, Erzengin M, Odabasi M (2011) Investigation of protein adsorption performance of Ni2+-attached diatomite particles embedded to composite monolithic cryogels. J Sep Sci 34: 2173-2180.
- Uzun L, Odabaşı M, Arıca Y, Denizli A (2004) Poly(styrene-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) monodisperse microspheres as specific sorbent in dye affinity adsorption of albumin. Sep Sci Technol 39: 2401-2418.
- Uzun L, Say R, Denizli A (2005) Porous poly ( hydroxyethyl methacrylate-N-methacryloyl-(L)-histidinemethylester ) based monolith as a new adsorbent for affinity chromatography. React Func Poly 64: 93-102.
- Xia F, Nagrath D, Cramer SM (2005) Effect of pH changes on water release values in hydrophobic interaction chromatographic systems. J Chromatogr A 1079: 229-235.
- Valdman E, Erijman L, Pessoa FLP, Leite SGF (2001) Continuous biosorption of Cu and Zn by immobilized waste biomass Sargassum sp. Process Biochem 36: 869-873.
- Yao K, Shen S, Yun J, Wang L, He X, Yu X (2006) Preparation of polyacrylamide-based supermacroporous monolithic cryogel beds under freezing-temperature variation conditions. Chem Eng Sci 61: 6701-6708.
- Yao K, Yun J, Shen S, Wang L, He X, Yu X (2006) Characterization of a novel continuous supermacroporous monolithic cryogel embedded with nanoparticles for protein chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1109: 103-110.
- Yilmaz F, Bereli N, Yavuz H, Denizli A (2009) Supermacroporous hydrophobic affinity cryogels for protein chromatography. Biochem Eng J 43: 272-279.
Publication order reference