Differentiation by random amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction (RAPD-PCR) of Candida albicans isolated from upper respiratory tract in patients with non-small cell lung cancer
Languages of publication
Cancer patients are predisposed to fungal infections caused by Candida albicans, especially to oral or respiratory tract candidiasis. The aim of this study was to estimate genetic diversity by RAPD-PCR (random amplified polymorphic DNA-polymerase chain reaction) of C. albicans isolated from upper respiratory tract of 100 patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Among 52 strains, 34 genotypes were defined. 10 clusters comprising 28 (53.85%) isolates with similarity coefficient ≥ 80% were formed. The remaining 24 (46.15%) isolates represented individual genotypes. The RAPD-PCR technique revealed genomic variability within C. albicans isolated from upper respiratory tract of the cancer patients.
- Bacelo KL, da Costa KR, Ferreira JC, Candido RC (2010) Biotype stability of Candida albicans isolates after culture storage determined by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA and phenotypical methods. Mycoses 53: 468-474.
- Biernasiuk A, Korona-Głowniak I, Malm A (2010) Differentiation by RAPD-PCR of Candida albicans isolated from upper respiratory tract in elderly people from care center. Ann UMCS Sec DDD 2: 11-15.
- Chong PP, Lee YL, Tan BC (2003) Genetic relatedness of Candida strains isolated from women with vaginal candidiasis in Malaysia. J Med Microbiol 52: 657-666.
- Costa F, Manaia CM, Figueiral MH, Pinto E (2008) Genotypic analysis of Candida albicans isolates obtained from removable prosthesis wearers. Lett Appl Microbiol 46: 445-449.
- Gültekin B, Eyigör M, Tiryaki Y, Kırdar S, Aydın N (2011) Investigation of antifungal susceptibilities and some virulence factors of Candida strains isolated from blood cultures and genotyping by RAPD-PCR. Mikrobiyol Bul 45: 306-317.
- Kim J, Sudbery P (2011) Candida albicans, a major human fungal pathogen. J Microbiol 49: 171-177.
- Krawczyk B, Leibner-Ciszak J, Mielech A, Nowak M, Kur J (2009) PCR melting profile (PCR MP) - a new tool for differentiation of Candida albicans strains. BMC Infect Dis 9: 177-189.
- Lee W, Low BK, Samaranayake LP, Hagg U (2008) Genotypic variation of Candida albicans during orthodontic therapy. Front Biosci 13: 3814-3824.
- Noumi E, Snoussi M, Saghrouni F, Ben Said M, Del Castillo L, Valentin E, Bakhrouf A (2009) Molecular typing of clinical Candida strains using random amplified polymorphic DNA and contour-clamped homogenous electric fields electrophoresis. J Appl Microbiol 107: 1991-2000.
- Pinto PM, Resende MA, Koga-Ito CY, Tendler M (2004) Genetic variability analysis among clinical Candida spp. isolates using random amplified polymorphic DNA. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99: 147-152.
- Pires-Gonçalves RH, Miranda ET, Baeza LC, Matsumoto MT, Zaia JE, Mendes-Giannini MJ (2007) Genetic relatedness of commensal strains of Candida albicans carried in the oral cavity of patients' dental prosthesis users in Brazil. Mycopathologia 164: 255-263.
- Samaranayake YH, Samaranayake LP, Dassanayake RS, Yau JY, Tsang WK, Cheung BP, Shiren Y, Issa SY, Badran EF, Akl KF, Shebabi AA (2011) Epidemiological characteristics of Candida species colonizing oral and rectal sites of Jordanian infants. BMC Pediatr 11: 79.
- Samaranayake YH, Samaranayake LP, Dassanayake RS, Yau JY, Tsang WK, Cheung BP, Yeung KW (2003) 'Genotypic shuffling' of sequential clones of Candida albicans in HIV-infected individuals with and without symptomatic oral candidiasis. J Med Microbiol 52: 349-359.
- Saran B, Karahan ZC, Ağirbaşli H, Tekeli A, Aksoy AM (2008) Comparison of different primers used for the genotyping of Candida albicans clinical isolates by randomly amplified polymorphic DNA method. Mikrobiyol Bul 42: 645-654.
- Sun J, Qi Ch, Lafleur M, Qi Q (2009) Fluconazole susceptibility and genotypic heterogeneity of oral Candida albicans colonies from the patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy in China. Int J Oral Sci 1: 156-162.
- Szweda P, Gucwa K, Romanowska E, Dzierżanowska-Fangrat K, Milewski S (2013) Genotyping of clinical isolates of fluconazole-resistant Candida albicans. Proceedings of XIV Conference Diagmol 2013. Molecular biology in diagnostics of infectious diseases and biotechnology 133-135.
- Teanpaisan R, Niyombandith M, Pripatnanant P, Sattayasanskul W (2008) Biotypes, genotypes and ketoconazole susceptibility of Candida albicans isolates from a group of Thai AIDS patients. New Microbiol 31: 409-416.
- Waltimo TM, Dassanayake RS, Ørstavik D, Haapasalo MP, Samaranayake LP (2001) Phenotypes and randomly amplified polymorphic DNA profiles of Candida albicans isolates from root canal infections in a Finnish population. Oral Microbiol Immunol 16: 106-112.
Publication order reference