Antioxidant, antimicrobial and neutrophil-modulating activities of herb extracts
Languages of publication
The present study provides a comprehensive data on the antioxidant, antimicrobial and neutrophil-modulating activities of extracts from six medicinal plants - blackberry (Rubus fruticosus) leaves, chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) leaves, hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) leaves, lady's mantle (Alchemilla glabra) aerial parts, meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) aerial parts and raspberry (Rubus idaeus) leaves. In order to analyze the antioxidant activity of the herbs, several methods (ORAC, TRAP, HORAC and inhibition of lipid peroxidation) were used. Blackberry leaves and meadowsweet extracts revealed the highest antioxidant activities via all methods. All extracts studied blocked almost completely the opsonized zymosan particle-activated ROS production by neutrophils from human whole blood. On the other hand, the effect of extracts on phorbol myristate acetate-activated ROS production was much milder and even nonsignificant in the case of chokeberry leaves. This latter result suggests that extracts (apart from their antioxidative activity) interfere with the signaling cascade of phagocyte activation upstream of the protein kinase C activation. The antimicrobial activity of the investigated extracts against 11 human pathogens was investigated using three different methods. Meadowsweet and blackberry leaves extracts had the highest antimicrobial effect and the lowest minimal inhibiting concentrations (MICs) against the microorganisms tested.
- Anthon GE, Barrett DM (2001) Colorimetric method for the determination of lipoxygenase activity. J Agric Food Chem 49: 32-37.
- Atosuo J, Lehtinen J, Vojtek L, Lilius EM (2013) Escherichia coli K-12 (pEGFPluxABCDEamp): a tool for analysis of bacterial killing by antibacterial agents and human complement activities on a real-time basis. Luminescence 28: 771-779.
- Barros L, Alves CT, Duenas M, Silva S, Oliveira R, Carvalho AM, Henriques M, Santos-Buelga C, Ferreira ICFR (2013) Characterization of phenolic compounds in wild medicinal flowers from Portugal by HPLC-DAD-ESI/MS and evaluation of antifungal properties. Ind Crop Prod 44: 104-110.
- Circu M, Aw TY (2010) Reactive oxygen species, cellular redox systems, and apoptosis. Free Radic Biol Med 48: 749-762.
- Ciz M, Cizova H, Denev P, Kratchanova M, Slavov A, Lojek A (2010) Different methods for control and comparison of the antioxidant properties of vegetables. Food Control 21: 518-523.
- Ciz M, Komrskova D, Pracharova L, Okenkova K, Cizova H, Moravcova A, Jancinova V, Petrikova M, Lojek A, Nosal R (2007) Serotonin modulates the oxidative burst of human phagocytes via various mechanisms. Platelets 18: 583-590.
- Cizova H, Lojek A, Kubala L, Ciz M (2004) The effect of intestinal ischemia duration on changes in plasma antioxidant defence status in rats. Physiol Res 53: 523-531.
- Denev P, Kratchanov Ch, Ciz M, Lojek A, Kratchanova M (2012) Bioavailability and antioxidant activity of black chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) polyphenols: in vitro and in vivo evidences and possible mechanisms of action. A review. Compr Rev Food Sci F 11: 471-489.
- Denev P, Kratchanova M, Ciz M, Lojek A, Vasicek O, Nedelcheva P, Blazheva D, Toshkova R, Gardeva E, Yossifova L, Hyrsl P, Vojtek L (2014) Biological activities of selected polyphenol-rich fruits related to immunity and gastrointestinal health. Food Chem 157: 37-44.
- Denev P, Lojek A, Ciz M, Kratchanova M (2013) Antioxidant activity and polyphenol content of Bulgarian fruits. Bulg J Agric Sci 19: 22-27.
- Duckstein SM, Lotter EM, Meyer U, Lindequist U, Stintzing FC (2013) Phenolic constituents from Alchemilla vulgaris L. and Alchemilla mollis (Buser) Rothm. at different dates of harvest. Z Naturforsch C 68: 529-540.
- Fecka I (2009) Qualitative and quantitative determination of hydrolysable tannins and other polyphenols in herbal products from meadowsweet and dog rose found rugosins A, B and E as a new meadowsweet constituents. Phytochem Analysis 20: 177-190.
- Gniewosz M, Synowiec A, Krasniewska K, Przyby1 J, Baczek K, Weglarz Z (2014) The antimicrobial activity of pullulan film incorporated with meadowsweet flower extracts (Filipendulae ulmariae flos) on postharvest quality of apples. Food Control 37: 351-361.
- Gudej J, Tomczyk M (2004) Determination of flavonoids, tannins and ellagic acid in leaves from Rubus L. species. Arch Pharm Res 11: 1114-1119.
- Gutierrez J, Barry-Ryan C, Bourke P (2008) The antimicrobial efficacy of plant essential oil combinations and interactions with food ingredients. Int J Food Microbiol 124: 91-97.
- Halliwell B, Zhao K, Whiteman M (2000) The gastrointestinal tract: a major site of antioxidant action? Free Radic Res 33: 819-30.
- Kanner J, Lapidot T (2001) The stomach as a bioreactor: dietary lipid peroxidation in the gastric fluid and the effects of plant-derived antioxidants. Free Radic Biol Med 31: 1388-1395.
- Kenny TP, Shu SA, Moritoki Y, Keen CL, Gershwin ME (2009) Cocoa flavanols and procyanidins can modulate the lipopolysaccharide activation of polymorphonuclear cells in vitro. J Med Food 12: 1-7.
- Kikuzaki H, Hisamoto M, Hirose K, Akiyama K, Taniguchi H (2002) Antioxidant properties of ferulic acid and its related compounds. J Agric Food Chem 50: 2161-2168.
- Kratchanova M, Denev P, Ciz M, Lojek A, Mihailov A (2010) Evaluation of antioxidant activity of medicinal plants containing polyphenol compounds. Comparison of two extraction systems. Acta Biochim Pol 57: 229-234.
- Krzymińska S, Tańska A, Kaznowski A (2013) Aeromonas spp. induce apoptosis of epithelial cells through an oxidant-dependent activation of the mitochondrial pathway. J Med Microbiol 60: 889-898.
- Lee JE, Kim GS, Park S, Kim YH, Kim MB, Lee WS, Jeong SW, Lee SJ, Jin JS, Shin SC (2014) Determination of chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa) polyphenol components using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: Overall contribution to antioxidant activity. Food Chem 146: 1-5.
- Lee JP, Li YC, Chen HY, Lin RH, Huang SS, Chen HL, Kuan PC, Liao MF, Chen CJ, Kuan YH (2010) Protective effects of luteolin against lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury involves inhibition of MEK/ERK and PI3K/Akt pathways in neutrophils. Acta Pharmacol Sin 31: 831-838.
- Martini S, D'Addario C, Colacevich A, Focardi S, Borghini F, Santucci A, Figura N, Rossi C. (2009) Antimicrobial activity against Helicobacter pylori strains and antioxidant properties of blackberry leaves (Rubus ulmifolius) and isolated compounds. Int J Antimicrob Agents 34: 50-59.
- Ou B, Hampsch-Woodill M, Flanagan J, Deemer EK, Prior RL, Huang DJ (2002) Novel fluorometric assay for hydroxyl radical prevention capacity using fluorescein as the probe. J Agric Food Chem 50: 2772-2777.
- Ou B, Hampsch-Woodill M, Prior RL (2001) Development and validation of an improved oxygen radical absorbance capacity assay using fluorescein as the fluorescence probe. J Agric Food Chem 49: 4619-4626.
- Pagonis C, Tauber AI, Pavlotsky N, Simons ER (1986) Flavonoid impairment of neutrophil response. Biochem Pharmacol 35: 237-245.
- Pincemail J, Thirion A, Dupuis M, Braquet P, Drieu K, Deby C (1987) Ginkgo biloba extract inhibits oxygen species production generated by phorbol myristate acetate stimulated human leukocytes. Experientia 43: 181-184.
- Rota MC, Herrera A, Martinez RM, Sotomayor JA, Jordan MJ (2008) Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Thymus vulgaris, Thymus zygis and Thymus hyemalis essential oils. Food Control 19: 681-687.
- Selloum L, Reichl S, Muller M, Sebihi L, Arnhold J (2001) Effects of flavonols on the generation of superoxide anion radicals by xanthine oxidase and stimulated neutrophils. Arch Biochem Biophys 395: 49-56.
- Shmid EJ, Gorris LGM (2007) Natural antimicrobials in food preservation. In Handbook of food preservation. Rahman MS, ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- Singleton V, Rossi J (1965) Colorimetry of total phenolic with phosphomolibdiphosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 16: 144-158.
- Smolyakova IM, Andreeva VY, Kalinkina GI, Avdeenko SN, Shchetinin PP (2012) Development of extraction techniques and standardization methods for a common lady's mantle (Alchemilla vulgaris) extract. Pharm Chem J-USSR 45: 675-678.
- Suzuki H, Nishizawa T, Tsugawa H, Mogami S, Hibi T (2012) Roles of oxidative stress in stomach disorders. J Clin Biochem Nutr 50: 35-39.
- Wang JP, Chang LC, Hsu MF, Chen SC, Kuo SC (2002) Inhibition of formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine-stimulated respiratory burst by cirsimaritin involves inhibition of phospholipase D signaling in rat neutrophils. N-S Arch Pharmacol 366: 307-314.
- Zielinska M, Kostrzewa A, Ignatowicz E (2000) Antioxidative activity of flavonoids in stimulated human neutrophils. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 38: 25-30.
Publication order reference