The impact of nanosilver addition on element ions release form light-cured dental composite and compomer into 0.9% NaCl
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper was to identify and to assess in semi-quantified way the release of different ions from composite and compomer restorative materials subjected to 0.9% NaCl solution, which simulates the environment of the human body. In the present study, the number of ions (Al, Ag, Ba, Sr, Ti) released from dental fillings over time (one week, one month and 3 months), in different temperatures (23°C, 37°C) and depending on the materials applied (unmodified/modified with nanosilver) was investigated. The results suggest that nanosilver addition influences directly on the process of metal ion releasing into 0.9% NaCl solution. The increase in the number of counts of metal ions was observed in the solutions in which samples modified with nanosilver were kept. Higher amount of metal ion release was observed for composite samples rather than for compomer materials. The study revealed that in general the number of released metal ions increases with the time of storage (for metal ions: Ti, Ba, Sr) and at higher temperature (Ag, Ti, Ba). Reverse tendency observed for silver ion release versus incubation time may be caused by the process of silver adsorption, which takes place on the surface of analyzed material and test-tube walls, where samples were incubated.
- Beyth N, Yudovin-Farber I, Bahir R, Domb AJ, Weiss EI (2006) Antibacterial activity of dental composites containing quaternary ammonium polyethylenimine nanoparticles against Streptococcus mutans. Biomaterials 27: 3995-4002.
- Bürgers R, Eidt A, Frankenberger R, Rosentritt M, Schweikl H, Handel G, Hahnel S (2009) The anti-adherence activity and bactericidal effect of microparticulate silver additives in composite resin materials. Arch Oral Biol 54: 595-601.
- Chen X, Schluesener HJ (2008) Nanosilver: A nanoproduct in medical application. Toxicol Lett 176: 1-12.
- Chladek G, Kasperski J, Barszczewska-Rybarek I, Zmudzki J (2012) Sorption, solubility, bond strength and hardness of denture soft lining incorporated with silver nanoparticles. Int J Mol Sci 14: 563-574.
- Dabsie F, Gregoire G, Sixou M, Sharrock P (2009) Does strontium play a role in the cariostatic activity of glass ionomer? Strontium diffusion and antibacterial activity. J Dent 37: 554-559.
- Fang M, Chen JH, Xu XL, Yang PH, Hildebrand HF (2006) Antibacterial activities of inorganic agents on six bacteria associated with oral infections by two susceptibility tests. Int J Antimicrob Agents 27: 513-517.
- Feuerstein O, Matalon S, Slutzky H, Weiss EI (2007) Antibacterial properties of self-etching dental adhesive systems. J Am Dent Assoc 138: 349-354.
- Fong N, Simmons A, Poole-Warren LA (2010) Antibacterial polyurethane nanocomposites using chlorhexidine diacetate as an organic modifier. Acta Biomaterialia 6: 2554-2561.
- Furno F, Morley K, Wong B (2004) Silver nanoparticles and polymer medical devices:a new approach to prevention of infection. J Antimicrob Chemother 54: 1019-1024.
- Gjorgievska ES, Nicholson JW, Iljovska S, Slipper I (2009) The potential of fluoride-releasing restoratives to inhibit enamel demineralization: An SEM study. Contributions Sec Biol Med Sci MASA 30: 191-203.
- Hahn CL, Best AM, Tew JG (2000) Cytokine induction by Streptococcus mutans and pulpal pathogenesis. Infect Immun 68: 6785-6789.
- Hiraishi N, Yiu CK, King NM, Tay FR, Pashley DH (2008) Chlorhexidine release and water sorption characteristics of chlorhexidine-incorporated hydrophobic-hydrophilic resins. Dent Mater 24: 1391-1399.
- Hotta M, Nakajima K, Yamamoto K, Aono M (1998) Antibacterial temporary filling materials: the effect of adding various ratios of Ag-Zn-zeolite. J Oral Rehabil 25: 485-489.
- Howie D, Rogers S, McGee M, Haynes D (1996) Biologic effects of cobalt chrome in cell and animal models. Clin Orthop Relat Res 329 Suppl: S217-S231.
- Imazato S (2009) Bio-active restorative materials with antibacterial effects: new dimension of innovation in restorative dentistry. Dent Mater J 28: 11-19.
- Imazato S, Kinomoto Y, Tarumi H, Torii M, Russell RR, McCabe JF (1997) Incorporation of antibacterial monomer MDPB into dentin primer. J Dent Res 76: 768-772.
- Imazato S, Kuramoto A, Kaneko T, Ebisu S, Russell RR (2002) Comparison of antibacterial activity of simplified adhesive systems. Am J Dent 15: 356-360.
- Imazato S, Tay FR, Kaneshiro AV, Takahashi Y, Ebisu (2007) An in vivo evaluation of bonding ability of comprehensive antibacterial adhesive system incorporating MDPB. Dent Mater 23: 170-176.
- Imazato S, Kuramoto A, Takahashi Y, Ebisu E, Peters MC (2006) In vitro antibacterial effects of the dentin primer of Clearfil Protect Bond. Dent Mater 22: 527-532.
- Janardhanan R, Karuppaiah M, Hebalkar N, Rao TN (2009) Synthesis and surface chemistry of nano silver particles. Polyhedron 28: 2522-2530.
- Jandt KD, Sigusch BW (2009) Future perspectives of resin-based dental materials. Dent Mater 25: 1001-1006.
- Kangwansupamonkon W, Lauruengtana V, Surassmo S, Ruktanonchai U (2009) Antibacterial effect of apatite-coated titanium dioxide for textiles applications. Nanomedicine 5: 240-249.
- Kawashita M, Tsuneyama S, Miyaji F, Kokubo T, Kozuka H, Yamamoto K (2000) Antibacterial silver-containing silica glass prepared by sol-gel method. Biomaterials 21: 393-398.
- Kozai K, Suzuki J, Okada M, Nagasaka N (2000) In vitro study of antibacterial and antiadhesive activities of fluoride-containing light-cured fissure sealants and a glass ionomer liner/base against oral bacteria. ASDC J Dent Child 67: 117-122.
- Kumar R, Munstedt H (2005) Silver ion release from antimicrobial polyamide/silver composites. Biomaterials 26: 2081-2088.
- Li Q, Mahendra S, Lyon DY, Brunet L, Li D, Alvarez PJ (2008) Antimicrobial nanomaterials for water disinfection and microbial control: Potential applications and implications. Water Res 42: 4591-4602.
- Łukomska-Szymańska M, Zarzycka B, Sokołowski K, Gdula Z, Kowalski Z, Sobczak-Kupiec A, Sokołowski J (2013) Dyspersja nanosrebra w alkoholu - właściwości antybakteryjne. eDentico 41: 78-80 (in Polish).
- Matsuura T, Abe Y, Sato Y, Okamoto K, Ueshige M, Akagawa Y (1997) Prolonged antimicrobial effect of tissue conditioners containing silver-zeolite. J Dent 25: 373-377.
- Mavani K, Shah M (2013) Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using sodium borohydride as a reducing agent. Int J Eng Res Technol (IJERT) 2: 1-5.
- Morrier JJ, Suchett-Kaye G, Nguyen D, Rocca JP, Blanc-Benon J, Barsotti O (1998) Antimicrobial activity of amalgams, alloys and their elements and phases. Dent Mater 14: 150-157.
- Ohara P, Torabinejad M, Kettering JD (1993) Antibacterial effects of various endodontic irrigants on selected anaerobic bacteria. Endod Dent Traumatol 9: 95-100.
- Rai M, Yadav A, Gade A (2009) Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials. Biotechnol Adv 27: 76-83.
- Satyanarayana Reddy A, Chen CY, Baker SC, Chen CC, Jean JS, Fan CW, Chen HR, Wang JC (2009) Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using surfactin: A biosurfactant as stabilizing agent. Materials Lett 63: 1227-1230.
- Schmalz G, Ergücü Z, Hiller KA (2004) Effect of dentin on the antibacterial activity of dentin bonding agents. J Endod 30: 352-358.
- She WJ (2004) Basic study of denture base resin with nano-silver antibacterial agent. The Preliminary Program for the 5th Annual Meeting of the IADR Chinese Division. Wuhan, June 3-5, 2004.
- Slenters TV, Hauser-Gerspach I, Daniels AU, Fromm KM (2008) Silver coordination compounds as light-stable, nano-structured and anti-bacterial coatings for dental implant and restorative materials. J Mater Chem 18: 5359-5362.
- Slistan-Grijalva A, Herrera-Urbina R, Rivas-Silva JF, Avalos-Borja M, Castillon-Barraza FF, Posada-Amarillas A (2005) Classical theoretical characterization of the surface plasmon absorption band for silver spherical nanoparticles suspended in water and ethylene glycol. Physica E 27: 104-112.
- Slutzky H, Matalon S, Weiss EI (2004) Antibacterial surface properties of polimerized single-bottle bonding agents. Part II. Quintessence Int 35: 275-279.
- Sug-Joon A, Shin-Jae L, Joong-Ki K, Bum-Soon L (2009) Experimental antimicrobial orthodontic adhesives using nanofillers and silver nanoparticles. Dent Mater 25: 206.
- Syafiuddin T, Hisamitsu H, Toko T, Igarashi T, Goto N, Fujishima A, Miyazaki T (1997) In vitro inhibition of caries around a resin composite restoration containing antibacterial filler. Biomaterials 18: 1051-1057.
- Tseng KH, Liao CY, Tsung TT (2008) Colloidal silver fabrication using the spark discharge system and its antimicrobial effect on Staphylococcus aureus. Medical Engineering & Physics 30: 948-952.
- Wicht MJ, Haak R, Kneist S, Noack MJ (2005) A triclosan-containing compomer reduces Lactobacillus spp. predominant in advanced carious lesions. Dent Mater 21: 831-836.
- Wiegand A, Buchalla W, Attin T (2007) Review on fluoride-releasing restorative materials-Fluoride release and uptake characteristics, antibacterial activity and influence on caries formation. Dental Mater 23: 343-362.
- Yan J, Cheng J (2001) Nanosilver - containing antibacterial and antifungal granules and methods for preparing and using the same, GloboAsia, L.L.C., US Patent Appl. No. 09/840,906.
- Yan W, Wang R, Xu Z, Xu J, Lin L, Shen Z, Zhou Y (2006) A novel, practical and green synthesis of Ag nanoparticles catalyst and its application in three-component coupling of aldehyde, alkyne, and amine. J Mol Catal A: Chem 255: 81-85.
- Yoshida K, Tanagawa M, Atsuta M (1999) Characterization and inhibitory effect of antibacterial dental resin composites incorporating silver-supported materials. J Biomed Mater Res 47: 516-522.
- Yoshida K, Tanagawa M, Matsumoto S, Yamada T, Atsuta M (1999) Antibacterial activity of resin composites with silver-containing materials. Eur J Oral Sci 107: 290-296.
- Zhang W, Qiao X, Chen J (2007) Synthesis of nanosilver colloidal particles in water/oil microemulsion. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem Eng Aspects 299: 22-28.
Publication order reference