A proteomics approach to identify the differential protein level in cardiac muscle of diabetic rat
Languages of publication
Background: Cardiovascular proteomics investigation reveals the characterization and elucidation of the novel therapeutic targets and strategies to prevent the development of heart failure associated diabetic complication by using 2DE and MS. Methods: The experimental animals were made diabetic with a single intraperitoneal injection of alloxan (150 mg/kg of bw). Albino rats were randomly divided into four individual groups: Group-I control (n=6), group-II alloxan-induced diabetic rats, untreated (n=6), group-III (n=6) and group-IV (n=6) alloxan-induced diabetic rats were treated with aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Cynodon dactylon for 15 days, respectively. Animals were euthanized to collect the heart tissues and blood samples. 2DE sample preparation, gel running and staining (n=6: each groups) were performed at the same time to avoid variation. The result of six gel images from each group were analyzed and evaluated as one match set with 2D software (P<0.05). Results: The above experiment revealed two up-regulated proteins in group-II i.e. NTF4 and ETFB. Conclusions: NTF4 is a neuro-protective agent for neuro-degenerative diseases. It will prevent diabetic secondary complications, such as diabetic polyneuropathy and cardiomyopathy. ETFB is active in the mitochondria, the energy-producing centres in cells. It is clear from the experiment that because of up-regulation of ETFB more energy is availabile and the electron transfer for heart during diabetes is possible, what leads to reduce the oxidative stress and free-radical formation. The up-regulated proteins reduced CVD that occurred just before overt hyperglycaemia due to administration of C. dactylon. This approach established the preliminary reference map for decoding cellular mechanisms linked between pathogenesis CVD and diabetes.
- Abel ED (2004) Glucose transport in the heart. Front Biosci 9: 201-215.
- Ahmed S, Reza MS, Jabbar A (1994) Antimicrobial activity of C. dactylon. Fitoterapia 65: 463-464.
- Anderson L (2005) Candidate-based proteomics in the search for biomarkers of cardiovascular disease. J Physiol 563: 23-60.
- Andreassen CS, Jakobsen J, Flyvbjerg A, Andersen H (2009) Expression of neurotrophic factors in diabetic muscle-relation to neuropathy and muscle strength. J Brain 132: 2724-2733
- Ares-Carrasco S, Picatoste B, Camafeita E, Carrasco-Navarro S, Zubiri I, Ortiz A, Egido J, López JA, Tunon J, Lorenzo O (2012) Proteome changes in the myocardium of experimental chronic diabetes and hypertension; Role of PPARα in the associated hypertrophy. J Proteomics 75: 1816-1829.
- Atmani F, Sadki C, Aziz M, Mimouni M, Hacht B (2009) C. dactylon extract as a preventive and curative agent in experimentally induced nephrolithiasis. Urol Res 37: 75-82.
- Auddy B, Ferreira M, Blasina F (2003) Screening of antioxidant activity of three Indian medicinal plants, traditionally used for the management of neurodegenerative diseases. J Ethnopharmacol 84: 131-138.
- Barbacid M (1993) The Trk family of neurotrophin receptors: molecular characterization and oncogenic activation in human tumors, pp 123-136, Wiley-Liss, Inc., New York.
- Bethel CM, Sciara EB, Estill JC, Bowers JE, Hanna W, Paterson AH (2006) A framework linkage map of bermudagrass (C. dactylon X transvaalensis) based on single-dose restriction fragments. Theor Appl Genet 112: 727-737.
- Bradford MA (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of protein utilizing the principles of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochemistry 72: 248-254.
- Cruz-Topete D, List EO, Okada S, Kelder B, Kopchick JJ (2011) Proteomic changes in the heart of diet-induced pre-diabetic mice. J Proteomics 74: 716-727.
- Curcoy A, Olsen RK, Ribes A, Trenchs V, Vilaseca MA, Campistol J, Osorio JH, Andresen BS, Gregersen N (2003) Late-onset form of beta-electron transfer flavoprotein deficiency. Mol Genet Metabol 78: 247-249.
- Donovan MJ, Lin MI, Wiegn P, Ringstedt T, Kraemer R, Hahn R, Wang S, Ibanez CF, Rafii S, Hempstead BL (2000) Brain derived neurotrophic factor is an endothelial cell survival factor required for intramyocardial vessel stabilization. Development 127: 4531-4540.
- Garber DW, Neely JR (1983) Decreased myocardial function and myosin ATPase in hearts from diabetic rats. Am J Physiol 244: H586-H591.
- Hamblin M, Friedman DB, Hill S, Caprioli RM, Smith HM, Hill MF (2007) Alterations in the diabetic myocardial proteome coupled with increased myocardial oxidative stress underlies diabetic cardiomyopathy. J Mol Cell Card 42: 884-895.
- Henriques BJ, Bross P, Gomes CM (2010) Mutational hotspots in electron transfer flavoprotein underlie defective folding and function in multiple acyl-CoA-dehydrogenase deficiency. Biochim Biophys Acta 1802: 1070-1077.
- Herrick KR, Salazar D, Goodman SI, Finocchiaro G, Bedzyk LA, Frerman FE (1994) Expression and characterization of human chimeric human-Paracoccus denitrificans electron transfer flavoproteins. J Biol Chem 269: 32239-32245.
- Hongfang Lu, Koshkin V, Allister EM, Gyulkhandanyan AV, Wheeler MB (2010) Molecular and metabolic evidence for mitochondrial defects associated with β-cell dysfunction in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 59: 448-459.
- Ikeda Y, Keese SM, Tanaka K (1986) Biosynthesis of electron transfer flavoprotein in a cell-free system and in cultured human fibroblasts. Defect in the alpha subunit synthesis is a primary lesion in glutaric aciduria type II. J Clin Invest 78: 997-1002.
- Kaisho Y, Yoshimura K, Nakahama K (1990) Cloning and expression of a cDNA encoding a novel human neurotrophic factor. FEBS Lett 266: 187-191.
- Karthik D, Ravikumar S (2011a) A Study on the protective effect of Cynodon dactylon leaves extract in diabetic rats. Biomed Environ Sci 24: 190-199.
- Karthik D, Ravikumar S (2011b) Proteome and phytochemical analysis of Cynodon dactylon leaves extract and its biological activity in diabetic rats. Biomed Prevent Nutr 1: 49-56.
- Kim JA, Montagnani M, Koh KK, Quon MJ (2006) Reciprocal relationships between insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction: molecular and pathophysiological mechanisms. Circulation 113: 1888-1904.
- Kumar S, Tamura K, Nei M (2004) MEGA3: Integrated software for molecular evolutionary genetics analysis and sequence alignment. Brief Bioinform 5: 150-163.
- Lam L, Lind J, Semsarian C (2006) Application of proteomics in cardiovascular medicine. Int J Cardiol 108: 12-19.
- Langtry HD, Balfour JA (1998) Glimepiride. A review of its use in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 55: 563-84.
- Lien Lam, Lind J, Semsarian C (2006) Application of proteomics in cardiovascular medicine. Int J Cardiol 108: 12-19.
- Lindvall O, Kokaia Z, Bengzon J, Elmer E, Kokaia M (1994) Neurotrophins and brain insults. Trends Neurosci 17: 490-496.
- Liu Y, Liu W, Crooks K, Schmidt S, Allingham RR, Hauser MA (2010) No evidence of association of heterozygous NTF4 mutations in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. Am J Hum Genet 86: 498-499.
- Miraldi E, Ferri S, Mostaghimi V (2001) Botanical drugs and preparations in the traditional medicine of West Azerbaijan (Iran). J Ethnopharmacol 75: 77-87.
- Muthu C, Ayyanar M, Raja N, Ignacimuthu S (2006) Medicinal plants used by traditional healers in Kancheepuram District of Tamil Nadu, India. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2: 43.
- Nassenstein C, Braun A, Erpenbeck VJ, Lommatzsch M, Schmidt S, Krug N, Luttmann W, Renz H, Virchow JC (2003) The neurotrophins nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, neurotrophin-3, and neurotrophin-4 are survival and activation factors for eosinophils in patients with allergic bronchial asthma. J Exp Med 198: 455-467.
- Noble D (2002) Modeling the heart-from genes to cells to the whole organ. Science 295: 1678-1682.
- O'Farrell PH (1975) High resolution two-dimensional electrophoresis of proteins. J Biol Chem 250: 4007-4021.
- Perkins DN, Pappin DJ, Creasy DM (1999) Probability-based protein identification by searching sequence databases using mass spectrometry data. Electrophoresis 20: 3551-3567.
- Prince PS, Menon VP, Pari L (1998) Hypoglycaemic activity of Syzigium cumini seeds: effect on lipid peroxidation in alloxan diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 61: 1-7.
- Santosh K Singh, Rai PK, Jaiswal D, Watal G (2008) Evidence-based critical evaluation of glycemic potential of Cynodon dactylon. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 5: 415-4120.
- Schott P, Jacobshagen C, Kohler J, Seidler T, Asif AR, Dihazi H, Hasenfuss G, Maier LS (2010) Proteome changes in CaMKIIδC-overexpressing cardiac myocytes. Cardiovascular Pathol 19: e241-e250.
- Singh SK, Rai PK, Jaiswal D, Rai DK, Sharma B, Watal G (2008) Protective effect of Cynodon dactylon against STZ induced hepatic injury in rats. J Ecophysiol Occup Hlth 8: 195-199.
- Tessarollo L (1998) Pleiotropic functions of neurotrophins in development. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 9: 125-317.
- Tuñón J, Martín-Ventura JL, Blanco-Colio LM, Lorenzo O, López JA, Egido J (2010) Proteomic strategies in the search of new biomarkers in atherothrombosis. J Am College of Cardiol 55: 2009-2016.
- Uncini MR, Tomei PE (1999) Ethnopharmacobotanical studies of the Tuscan Archipelago. J Ethnopharmacol 65: 181-202.
- Patton WF (2002) Detection technologies in proteome analysis. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 771: 3-31
- White MY, Cordwell SJ, McCarron HC, Prasan AM, Craft G, Hambly BD, Jeremy RW (2005) Proteomics of ischemia/reperfusion injury in rabbit myocardium reveals alterations to proteins of essential functional systems. Proteomics 5: 1395-1410.
- White RA, Dowler LL, Angeloni SV, Koeller DM (1996) Assignment of Etfdh, Etfb, and Etfa to chromosomes 3, 7, and 13: the mouse homologs of genes responsible for glutaric acidemia type II in human. Genomics 33: 131-134.
- Yan L, Ge H, Li H, Lieber SC, Natividad F, Resuello RR, Kim SJ, Akeju S, Sun A, Loo K, Peppas AP, Rossi F, Lewandowski ED, Thomas AP, Vatner SF, Vatner DE (2004) Gender-specific proteomic alterations in glycolytic and mitochondrial pathways in aging monkey hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol 37: 921-929.
Publication order reference