The relation of PON1-L55M gene polymorphism and clinical manifestation of Behcet's disease
Languages of publication
Purpose: Behçet's disease is a multisystem disease characterized by recurrent oral and genital ulcers, relapsing uveitis, mucocutaneous, articular, gastrointestinal, neurologic, and vascular manifestations. Paraoxonase is believed to play an important role in protection of LDL and HDL particles from oxidation, in antioxidant effect against lipid peroxidation on cellular membranes, and in anti-inflammatory process. Lipid peroxidation and free oxygen radicals have been thought to play a role in pathogenesis of BD. The association of paraoxonase gene polymorphisms with Behçet's Disease in a group of Turkish patients with clinical manifestations and healthy controls has been investigated. Patients and Methods: Paraoxonase (PON-1-L55M) gene polymorphism was investigated in 50 Behcet patients and 50 healthy individuals with a PCR/RFLP method. Results: There were significant differences between patients and the control group in allele frequencies of the PON1 L55M polymorphism (p=0.04). Also, when patients were compared with the control group according to clinical manifestations, this statistical significance was getting sharper. Compared with the PON55 L allele, the M allele was associated with greater than 3.5 fold (OR 3.5, 95% CI 1.3-8.9) increased risk of ocular (OR 2.4, 95% CI 1.1-5.3), 2.4 fold joint and 3.1 fold (OR 3.1, 95% CI 1.1-8.4) central nervous system manifestations of BD. Conclusion The PON L55M gene polymorphism seemed to play a role in the pathogenesis of BD.
- Abuja PM, Albertini R, Esterbauer H (1997) Simulation of the induction of oxidation of low-density lipoprotein by high copper concentrations: evidence for a nonconstant rate of initiation. Chem Res Toxicol 10: 644-651.
- Adamson DC, Wildemann B, Sasaki M, Glass JD, McArthur JC, Christov VI, Dawson TM, Dawson VL (1996) Immunologic NO synthase: elevation in severe AIDS dementia and induction by HIV-1 gp41. Science 274: 1917-1921.
- Adkins S, Gan KN, Mody M, et al (1993) Molecular basis for the polymorphic forms of human serum paraoxonase/arylesterase: glutamine or arginine at position 191, for the respective A or B allozymes. Am J Hum Genet 52: 598-608.
- Eckerson HW, Wyte CM, La Du BN (1983) The human serum paraoxonase/ arylesterase polymorphism. Am J Hum Genet 35: 1126-38.
- Ekinci D, Beydemir S (2009) Evaluation of the impacts of antibiotic drugs on PON 1; a major bioscavenger against cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Pharmacol 617: 84-89.
- Freitas JP, Filipe P, Yousefi A, Emerit I, Guerra Rodrigo F (1998) Oxidative stress in Adamantiades-Behçet's disease. Dermatology 197: 343-348.
- Harel M, Brumshtein B, Meged R, Dvir H, Ravelli RB, McCarthy A, et al (2007) 3-D structure of serum paraoxonase 1 sheds light on its activity, stability, solubility and crystallizability. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 58: 347-353.
- Humbert R, Adler DA, Disteche CM, et al (1993) The molecular basis of the human serum paraoxonase activity polymorphism. Nat Genet 3: 73-76.
- Jiang XL, Li M, Zhou JG, Yang QB, Du LJ, Du J (2011) Plasma paraoxonase-1, oxidized low-density lipoprotein and lipid peroxidation levels in gout patients. Cell Biochem Biophys. 61: 461-466.
- Karakucuk S, Baskol G, Oner AO, Baskol M, Mirza E, Ustdal M (2004) Serum paraoxonase activity is decreased in the active stage of Behçet's disease. Br J Ophthalmol 88: 1256-1258.
- Kose K, Dogan P, Ascioglu M, Erkilic K, Ascioglu O (1951) Oxidative stress and antioxidant defenses in plasma of patients with Behcet's disease. Tohoku J Exp Med 176: 239-248.
- Kose K, Yazici C, Assioglu O (2001) The evaluation of lipid peroxidation and adenosine deaminase activity in patients with Behcet's disease. Clin Biochem 34: 125-129.
- Kural-Seyahi E, Fresko I, Seyahi N, Ozyazgan Y, Mat C, Hamuryudan V et al. (2003) The long-term mortality and morbidity of Behcet syndrome: a 2-decade outcome survey of 387 patients followed at a dedicated center. Medicine (Baltimore) 82: 60-76.
- Kuremoto K, Watanabe Y, Ohmura H, Shimada K, Mokuno H, Daida H (2003) R/R genotype of human paraoxonase (PON1) is more protective against lipoprotein oxidation and coronary artery disease in Japanese subjects. J Atheroscler Thromb 10: 85-92.
- Leviev I, Deakin S, James RW (2001) Decreased stability of the M54 isoform of paraoxonase as a contributory factor to variations in human serum paraoxonase concentrations. J Lipid Res 42: 528-535.
- Leviev I, Negro F, James RW (1997) Two alleles of the human paraoxonase gene produce different amounts of mRNA. An explanation for differences in serum concentrations of paraoxonase associated with the (Leu-Met54) polymorphism. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17: 2935-2939.
- Li WF, Costa LG, Richter RJ, Hagen T, Shih DM, Tward A, Lusis AJ, Furlong CE (2000) Catalytic efficiency determines the in-vivo efficacy of PON1 for detoxifying organophosphorus compounds. Pharmacogenetics 10: 767-79.
- Loeper J, Ement J, Goy J, et al (1983) Lipid peroxidation during human atherosclerosis. IRCS Med Sci 11: 1035-43.
- Mackness B, Mackness MI, Arrol S, Turkie W, Durrington PN (1997) Effect of the molecular polymorphisms of human paraoxonase (PON1) on the rate of hydrolysis of paraoxon. Br J Pharmacol 122: 265-268.
- Mitamura T, Ohmo S, Ariga H, et al (1988) Lipoprotein cholesterol concentrations in patients with Behcet's disease. Clin Chim Acta 175: 277-284.
- Mungan AG, Can M, Açikgöz S, Eştürk E, Altinyazar C (2006) Lipid peroxidation and homocysteine levels in Behçet's disease. Clin Chem Lab Med 44: 1115-1118.
- NgD S, ChuT, Esposito B, et al (2008) Paraoxonase-1 deficiency in mice predisposes to vascular inflammation, oxidative stress, and thrombogenicity in the absence of hyperlipidemia. Cardiovasc Pathol 17: 226-322.
- Niwa Y, Miyake S, Sakane T, Shingu M, Yokoyama M (1982) Auto-oxidative damage in Behçet's disease: endothelial cell damage following the elevated oxygen radicals generated by stimulated neutrophils. Clin Exp Immunol 49: 247-255.
- Orem A, Efe H, Deger O, Cimsit G, Uydu HA, Vanizor B (1997) Relationship between lipid peroxidation and disease activity in patients with Behcet's disease. Dermatol Sci 16: 11-16.
- Orem A, Deger O, Cimsit G, et al (1995) Plasma Lipoprotein(a) and its relationship with disease activity in patients with Behçet's disease. Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 33: 473-478.
- Orem A, Deger O, Memis O, et al (1995) Lp(a) lipoprotein levels as a predictor of risk for thrombogenic events in patients with Behçet's disease. Ann Rheum Dis 54: 726-729.
- Oztürk MA, Oktar SO, Unverdi S, Ureten K, Göker B, Haznedaroğlu S, et al. (2006) Morphologic evidence of subclinical atherosclerosis obtained by carotid ultrasonography in patients with Behçet's disease. Rheumatol Int 26: 867-872.
- Ruiz J, Blanche H, James RW, Garin MC, Vaisse C, Charpentier G, Cohen N, Morabia A, Passa P, Froguel P (1995) Gln-Arg192 polymorphism of paraoxonase and coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. Lancet 346: 869-872.
- Sakane T, Takeno M, Suzuki N, Inaba G (1999) Behçet's disease. N Engl J Med 341: 1284-1291.
Publication order reference