Maximal oxygen uptake is associated with allele -202 A of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) promoter polymorphism and (CA)n tandem repeats of insulin-like growth factor IGF1 in Caucasians from Poland
Languages of publication
Physical fitness is a trait determined by multiple genes, and its genetic basis is modified by numerous environmental factors. The present study examines the effects of the (CA)n tandem repeats polymorphism in IGFI gene and SNP Alw21I restriction site -202 A>C polymorphism in IGF1BP3 on VO2max - a physiological index of aerobic capacity of high heritability. The study sample consisted of 239 (154 male and 85 female) students of the University School of Physical Education in Poznań and athletes practicing various sports, including members of the Polish national team. An association was found between -202 A/C polymorphism of IGFBP3 gene with VO2max in men. Higher VO2max values were attained by men with CC genotype, especially male athletes practicing endurance sports and sports featuring energy metabolism of aerobic/anaerobic character. A statistically significant influence of allele 188 and genotype 188/188 of tandem repeats (CA)n polymorphism of IGF1 gene on VO2max was found in women. Also, lower values of maximal oxygen uptake were noted in individuals with allele 186 or genotype 186/186, and higher VO2max values in athletes with allele 194.
- Ambrosio MR, Valentini A, Trasforini G, Minuto F, Ghigo E, Cella S, Margutti A, Pansini R, degli Uberti EC (1996) Function of the GH/IGF-1 axis in healthy middle-aged male runners. Neuroendocrinology 63: 498-503.
- Arends N, Johnston L, Hokken-Koelega A, van Duijn C, de Ridder M, Savage M, Clark A (2002) Polymorphism in the IGF-I gene: clinical relevance for short children born small for gestational age (SGA). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 2720.
- Cheng I, DeLellis Henderson K, Haiman CA, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Freedman ML, Le Marchand L (2005) Genetic determinants of circulating insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein (BP)-1, and IGFBP-3 levels in a multiethnic population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92: 3660-666.
- Cięszczyk P, Eider J, Arczewska A, Ostanek M, Leońska-Duniec A, Sawczyn S, Ficek K, Jascaniene N, Kotarska K, Sygit K (2011a) The HIF1A gene Pro582Ser polymorphism in Polish power-orientated athletes. Biol Sport 28: 111-114.
- Cięszczyk P, Eider J, Ostanek M, Arczewska A, Leońska-Duniec A, Sawczyn S, Ficek K, Krupecki K (2011b) Association of the ACTN3 R577X polymorphism in Polish power-orientated athletes. J Hum Kinet 28: 55-61.
- Cięszczyk P, Ostanek M, Leońska-Duniec A, Sawczuk M, Maciejewska A, Ficek K, Sygit K, Kotarska K (2012) Distribution of the AMPD1 T34C polymorphism in polish power-orientated athletes. J Sports Sci 30: 31-35.
- Cięszczyk P, Maciejewska A, Sawczuk M, Ficek K, Eider J, Jascaniene N (2010) the angiotensin converting enzyme gene I/D Polymorphism in ellite polish and lithuanian judo players. Biol Sport 27: 119-122.
- Costalonga EF, Antonini SR, Guerra-Junior G, Mendonca BB, Arnhold IJ, Jorge AA (2009) The -202 A allele of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) promoter polymorphism is associated with higher IGFBP-3 serum levels and better growth response to growth hormone treatment in patients with severe growth hormone deficiency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94: 588-595.
- Cubbage ML, Suwanichkul A, Powell DR (1990) Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3. Organization of the human chromosomal gene and demonstration of promoter activity. J Biol Chem 265: 12642-12649.
- Deal C, Ma J, Wilkin F, Paquette J, Rozen F, Ge B, Hudson T, Stampfer M, Pollak M (2001) Novel promoter polymorphism in insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3: correlation with serum levels and interaction with known regulators. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86: 1274-1280.
- D'Ercole AJ, Stiles AD, Underwood LE (1984) Tissue concentrations of somatomedin C: further evidence for multiple sites of synthesis and paracrine or autocrine mechanisms of action. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 935-939.
- Devaney JM, Hoffman EP, Gordish-Dressman H, Kearns A, Zambraski E, Clarkson PM. (2007) IGF-II gene region polymorphisms related to exertional muscle damage. J Appl Physiol 102: 1815-1823.
- Eider J, Maciejewska A, Sawczuk M, Cięszczyk P, Ostanek M, Leońska-Duniec A, Ficek K (2013) Association of the 174 G/C polymorphism of the IL6 gene in Polish power-orientated athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 53: 88-92.
- Eliakim A, Brasel JA, Mohan S, Barstow TJ, Berman N, Cooper DM (1996) Physical fitness, endurance training, and the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor I system in adolescent females. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81: 3986-3992.
- Ferry RJ Jr, Cerri RW, Cohen P (1999) Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins: new proteins, new functions. Horm Res 51: 53-67.
- Gronek P, Holdys J, Konarski J, Kryściak J, Wolc A. (2013) ACE genotype in professional field hockey players. Trends Sport Sci 1: 36-40.
- Gronek P, Rychlewski T, Słomski R, Stankiewicz K, Lehmann J (2005) Insulin-like growth factor 1. Stud Phys Cult Tourism 12: 9-24.
- Gronek P, Holdys J (2013) Genes and physical fitness. Trends Sport Sci 1: 16-29.
- Hameed M, Harridge SD, Goldspink G (2002) Sarcopenia and hypertrophy: a role for insulin-like growth factor-1 in aged muscle? Exerc Sport Sci Rev 30: 15-19.
- Harrela M, Koistinen H, Kaprio J, Lehtovirta M, Tuomilehto J, Eriksson J, Toivanen L, Koskenvuo M, Leinonen P, Koistinen R, Seppälä M (1996) Genetic and environmental components of interindividual variation in circulating levels of IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3. J Clin Invest 98: 2612-2615.
- Holdys J, Gronek P, Kryściak J, Stanisławski D (2013) Genetic variants of uncoupling proteins -2 and -3 in relation to maximal oxygen uptake in different sports. Acta Biochim Pol 60: (in press).
- Holdys J, Kryściak J, Stanisławski D, Gronek P (2011) Polymorphism of the ACTN3 gene in individuals practising different sports disciplines. Biol Sport 28: 101-106.
- Hong Y, Pedersen NL, Brismar K, Hall K, de Faire U (1996) Quantitative genetic analyses of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-binding protein-1, and insulin levels in middle-aged and elderly twins. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81: 1791-1797.
- Jernström H, Deal C, Wilkin F, Chu W, Tao Y, Majeed N, Hudson T, Narod SA, Pollak M (2001) Genetic and nongenetic factors associated with variation of plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 in healthy premenopausal women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 10: 377-3784.
- Jørgensen JO, Vahl N, Hansen TB, Skjaerbaek C, Fisker S, Orskov H, Hagen C, Christiansen JS De (1998) Determinants of serum insulin-like growth factor I in growth hormone deficient adults as compared to healthy subjects. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 48: 479-486.
- Juul A (2003) Serum levels of insulin-like growth factor I and its binding proteins in health and disease. Growth Horm IGF Res 13: 113-170.
- Kao PC, Matheny AP Jr, Lang CA (1994) Insulin-like growth factor-I comparisons in healthy twin children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78: 310-312.
- Kelly PJ, Eisman JA, Stuart MC, Pocock NA, Sambrook PN, Gwinn TH (1990) Somatomedin-C, physical fitness, and bone density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 70: 718-723.
- Kiel DP, Puhl J, Rosen CJ, Berg K, Murphy JB, MacLean DB (1998) Lack of an association between insulin-like growth factor-I and body composition, muscle strength, physical performance or self-reported mobility among older persons with functional limitations. J Am Geriatr Soc 46: 822-828.
- Koziris LP, Hickson RC, Chatterton RT Jr, Groseth RT, Christie JM, Goldflies DG, Unterman TG (1999) Serum levels of total and free IGF-I and IGFBP-3 are increased and maintained in long-term training. J Appl Physiol 86: 1436-1442.
- Leo36-42.iol l A (2013) Genetic research in modern Sport. Centr Eur J Sport Sci Med 3: 19-26.
- Lukanova A, Toniolo P, Akhmedkhanov A, Hunt K, Rinaldi S, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Haley NJ, Riboli E, Stattin P, Lundin E, Kaaks R (2001) A cross-sectional study of IGF-I determinants in women. Eur J Cancer Prev 10: 443-452.
- Maciejewska A, Leońska-Duniec A, Cięszczyk P, Sawczuk M, Ficek K, Eider J, Sawczyn S (2012) The NRF2 gene A/G polymorphism in Polish rowers. J Hum Kinet 31: 59-62.
- Maciejewska-Karłowska A (2013) Polymorphisms in the Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor genes: relevance for athletic performance Trends Sport Sci 1: 5-15.
- Platz EA, Pollak MN, Rimm EB, Majeed N, Tao Y, Willett WC, Giovannucci E (1999) Racial variation in insulin-like growth factor-1 and binding protein-3 concentrations in middle-aged men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 8: 1107-1110.
- Poehlman ET, Copeland KC (1990) Influence of physical activity on insulin-like growth factor-I in healthy younger and older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 71: 1468-1473.
- Pyka G, Taaffe DR, Marcus R (1994) Effect of a sustained program of resistance training on the acute growth hormone response to resistance exercise in older adults. Horm Metab Res 26: 330-333.
- Rajaram S, Baylink DJ, Mohan S (1997) Insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in serum and other biological fluids: regulation and functions. Endocrine Reviews 18: 801-831
- Roelen CA, de Vries WR, Koppeschaar HP, Vervoorn C, Thijssen JH, Blankenstein MA (1997) Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and high affinity growth hormone-binding protein levels increase after two weeks of strenuous physical training. Int J Sports Med 18: 238-241.
- Rosen CJ, Kurland ES, Vereault D, Adler RA, Rackoff PJ, Craig WY, Witte S, Rogers J, Bilezikian JP (1998) Association between serum insulin growth factor-I (IGF-I) and a simple sequence repeat in IGF-I gene: implications for genetic studies of bone mineral density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83: 2286-2290.
- Ruiz JR, Gómez-Gallego F, Santiago C, González-Freire M, Verde Z, Foster C, Lucia A (2009) Is there an optimum endurance polygenic profile? J Physiol 587: 1527-1534.
- Sawczuk M, Maciejewska A, Cięszczyk P, Zarębska A (2012) Polymorphisms in the ADRB1 gene and endurance performance. Central Eur J Biol 5: 794-800.
- Sawczuk M, Maciejewska-Karłowska A, Cięszczyk P. (2013) A single nucleotide polymorphism rs553668 in ADRA2A gene and Polish elite endurance athlete status. Trends Sport Sci 1: 30-35.
- Smith AT, Clemmons DR, Underwood LE, Ben-Ezra V, McMurray R (1987) The effect of exercise on plasma somatomedin-C/insulinlike growth factor I concentrations. Metabolism 36: 533-537.
- Stępień-Słodkowska M, Ficek K, Eider J, Leońska-Duniec A, Maciejewska-Karłowska A, Sawczuk M, Zarębska A, Jastrzębski Z, Grenda A, Kotarska K, Cięszczyk P (2013) The +1245g/t polymorphisms in the collagen type i alpha 1 (col1a1) gene in polish skiers with anterior cruciate ligament injury. Biol Sport 30: 57-60.
- Stewart CE, Rotwein P (1996) Growth, differentiation, and survival: multiple physiological functions for insulin-like growth factors. Physiol Rev 76: 1005-1026.
- Vaessen N, Heutink P, Janssen JA, Witteman JC, Testers L, Hofman A, Lamberts SW, Oostra BA, Pols HA, van Duijn CM (2001) A polymorphism in the gene for IGF-I: functional properties and risk for type 2 diabetes and myocardial infarction. Diabetes 50: 637-642.
Publication order reference