Poly(acrylic acid-co-methyl methacrylate)/metronidazole systems: synthesis and complexation
Languages of publication
We report on preparation of poly(acrylic acid-co-methyl methacrylate) (PAM) micro- and nanoparticles and, in the subsequent stage, complexation reaction with the active substance - metronidazole (MET). The drug release behavior of MET - loaded PAM micro- and nanoparticles was evaluated in water and phosphate buffered saline (PBS, 0.9% NaCl) at 37ºC. It has been found that introduction of MET into PAM micro- and nanoparticles enabled gradual and controlled release of the active substance. Structural analysis using FT-IR (ATR) and 1H NMR, as well as surface morphology assessment by SEM, were performed.
- Agnihotri SA, Mallikarjuna NN, Aminabhavi TM (2004) Recent advances on chitosan-based micro- and nanoparticles in drug delivery. J Control Release 100: 5-28.
- Bajpai AK, Shukla SK, Bhanu S, Kankane S (2008) Responsive polymers in controlled drug delivery. Prog Polym Sci 33: 1088-1118.
- Bialik-Wąs K, Tyliszczak B, Pielichowski K (2013) Synthesis and structure of poly(AA-co-MMA) micro- and nanoparticles containing metronidazole, 4th Workshop Green Chemistry and Nanotechnologies in Polymer Chemistry, 4-6.09.2013, Pisa, Italy.
- Dong Y, Mu B, Liu P, (2011) Temperature-responsive ionic-crosslinked polymeric nanocapsules via self-templating approach. Colloid Surface B 84: 267-271.
- Dudhania AR, Kosarajua SL (2010) Bioadhesive chitos an nanoparticles: preparation and characterization. Carbohydr Polym 81: 243-251.
- Eftaiha AF, Qinna N, Rashid IS, Al Remawi MM, Al Shami MR, Arafat TA, Badwan AA (2010) Bioadhesive controlled metronidazole release matrix based on chitosan and xanthan gum. Mar Drugs 8: 1716-1730.
- Felber AE, Dufresne MH, Leroux JC (2012) pH-sensitive vesicles, polymeric micelles and nanospheres prepared with polycarboxylates. Adv Drug Deliver Rev 64: 979-992.
- Herculano RD, Alencar de Queiroz AA, Kinoshita A, Oliveira ON, Graeff CFO (2011) On the release of metronidazole from natural rubber latex membranes. Mat Sci Eng C 31: 272-275.
- Liu Z, Jiao Y, Wang Y, Zhou C, Zhang Z (2008) Polysaccharides-based nanoparticles as drug delivery systems. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60: 1650-1662.
- Lofmark S, Edlund Ch, Nord CE (2010) Metronidazole is still the drug of choice for treatment of anaerobic infections. Clin Infect Dis 50: S16-23.
- Ma Y, Gao H, Gu W, Yang YW, Wang Y, Fan Y, Wu G, Ma J (2012) Carboxylated poly(glycerol methacrylate)s for doxorubicin delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci 45: 65-72.
- Nafea EH, Marson A, Poole-Warren LA, Martens PJ (2011) Immunoisolating semi-permeable membranes for cell encapsulation: Focus on hydrogels. J Control Release 154: 110-122.
- Nguyen HN, Wey SP, Juang JH, Sonaje K, Ho YC, Chuang EY, Hsu CW, Yen TC, Lin KJ, Sung HW (2011) The glucose-lowering potential of exendin-4 orally delivered via a pH-sensitive nanoparticle vehicle and effects on subsequent insulin secretion in vivo. Biomaterials 32: 2673-2682.
- Ramukutty S, Ramachandran E (2012) Crystal growth by solvent evaporation and characterization of metronidazole. J Cryst Growth 351: 47-50.
- Robinson DN, Peppas NA (2002) Preparation and characterization of pH-responsive poly(methacrylic acid-g-poly(ethylene glycol) nanospheres. Macromolecules 35: 3668-3674.
- Sadeghi M, Yarahmadi M (2011) Synthesis and properties of carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) graft copolymer with on-off switching properties for controlled release of drug. Afr J Biotechnol 10: 12085-12093.
- Silverstein RM, Webster FX, Kiemle DJ (2005) Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds, John Willey & Sons, Inc.
- Vijay S, Sati OP, Majumdar DK (2010) Acrylic acid-methyl methacrylate copolymer for oral prolonged drug release. J Mater Sci:P Mater Med 21: 2583-2592.
- Yan X, Gemeinhart RA (2005) Cisplatin delivery from poly(acrylic acid-co-methyl methacrylate) microparticles. J Control Release 106: 198-208.
Publication order reference