Matrix metalloproteinase-2 C-1306T promoter polymorphism and breast cancer risk in the Saudi population
Languages of publication
Matrix metalloproteinase-2 (MMP-2) is an enzyme with proteolytic activity against matrix proteins, particularly basement membrane constituents. A single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) at -1306, which disrupts a Sp1-type promoter site (CCACC box), displayed a strikingly lower promoter activity with the T allele. In the present study, we investigate whether this MMP-2 SNP is associated with susceptibility to breast cancer in the Saudi population. Ninety breast cancer patients and 92 age matched controls were included in this study. TaqMan Allele Discrimination assay and DNA sequencing techniques were used for genotyping. The results showed that, the frequency of MMP-2 CC wild genotype was lower in breast cancer patients when compared with healthy controls (0.65 versus 0.79). The homozygous CC (OR=2, χ2=5.36, p=0.02) and heterozygous CT (OR=1.98, χ2=4.1, p=0.04) showing significantly high risk of breast cancer in the investigated group. In conclusion our data suggest that the MMP-2 C-1306T polymorphism may be associated with increased breast cancer risk in the Saudi population.
- Alroy I, Soussan L, Seger R, Yarden Y (1999) Neu differentiation factor stimulates phosphorylation and activation of the Sp1 transcription factor. Mol Cell Biol 19: 1961-1972.
- Anders CK, Hsu DS, Broadwater G, Acharya CR, Foekens JA, Zhang Y, Wang Y, Marcom PK, Marks JR, Febbo PG, Nevins JR, Potti A, Blackwell KL (2008) Young age at diagnosis correlates with worse prognosis and defines a subset of breast cancers with shared patterns of gene expression. J Clin Oncol 26: 3324-3330.
- Azzam HS, Arand G, Lippman ME, Thompson EW (1993) Association of MMP-2 activation potential with metastatic progression in human breast cancer cell lines independent of MMP-2 production. J Natl Cancer Inst 85: 1758-1764.
- Block KL, Shou Y, Poncz M (1996) An Ets/Sp1 interaction in the 5'-flanking region of the megakaryocyte-specific alpha IIb gene appears to stabilize Sp1 binding and is essential for expression of this TATA-less gene. Blood 88: 2071-2080.
- Boag AH, Young ID (1994) Increased expression of the 72-kd type IV collagenase in prostatic adenocarcinoma. Demonstration by immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization. Am J Pathol 144: 585-591.
- Clifford A, Beeuwkes R 3rd, Lainey LL, Silverman KJ (1984) Hypothesis: Vasa Vasorum and neovascularization of human coronary arteries, a possible role in the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis. N Engl J Med 310: 175-177.
- Cheema B, Gaul CA, Lane K, Fiatarone Singh MA (2008) Progressive resistance training in breast cancer: a systematic review of clinical trials. Breast Cancer Res Treat 109: 9-26.
- Duffy MJ, Maguire TM, Hill A, McDermott E, O'Higgins N (2000) Metalloproteinases: role in breast carcinogenesis, invasion and metastasis. Breast Cancer Res 2: 252-257.
- Elander N, Soderkvist P, Fransen K (2006) Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) -1, -2, -3 and -9 promoter polymorphisms in colorectal cancer. Anticancer Res 26: 791-795.
- Elkum N, Dermime S, Ajarim D, Al-Zahrani A, Alsayed A, Tulbah A, Al Malik O, Alshabanah M, Ezzat A, Al-Tweigeri T (2007) Being 40 or younger is an independent risk factor for relapse in operable breast cancer patients: the Saudi Arabia experience. BMC Cancer 7 222.
- Xu E, Lai M, Lu B, Xing X, Huang Q, Xia X (2004) A single nucleotide polymorphism in the matrix metalloproteinase-2 promoter is associated with colorectal cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324: 999-1003.
- Fang J, Shing Y, Wiederschain D, Yan L, Butterfield C, Jackson G, Harper J, Tamvakopoulos, Moses MA (2000) Matrix metalloproteinase-2 is required for the switch to the angiogenic phenotype in a tumor model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 3884-3889.
- Flavia MG, Alisson MO, Riccardo L, Vanessa AB, Jose GS, Fabiola D, Jose ET (2013) Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 gene polymorphisms affect circulating MMP-2 levels in patients with migraine with aura. Gene 512: 35-40.
- Grieu F, Li WQ, Iacopetta B (2004) Genetic polymorphisms in the MMP-2 and MMP-9 genes and breast cancer phenotype. Breast Cancer Res Treat 88: 197-204.
- Itoh T, Tanioka M, Yoshida H, Yoshioka T, Nishimoto H, Itohara S (1998) Reduced angiogenesis and tumor progression in gelatinase A-deficient mice. Cancer Res 58: 1048-1051.
- Laurie AS, Sandra JT, William GS (2012) Matrix metalloproteinases: changing roles in tumor progression and metastasis. Am J Pathol 181: 1895-1899.
- Liotta LA, Kohn E (1990) Cancer invasion and metastases. JAMA 263: 1123-1126.
- Maouche L, Lucien N, Cartron JP, Chretien S (1995) A CCACC motif mediates negative transcriptional regulation of the human erythropoietin receptor. Eur J Biochem 233: 793-799.
- Margana RK, Boggaram V (1997) Functional analysis of surfactant protein B (SP-B) promoter:Sp1, Sp3, TTF-1, and HNF-3a transcription factors are necessary for lung cell-specific activation of SP-B gene transcription. J Biol Chem 272: 3083-3090.
- Nagase H, Woessner JF Jr (1999) Matrix metalloproteinases. J Biol Chem 274: 21491-21494.
- Poulsom R, Pignatelli M, Stetler-Stevenson WG, Liotta LA, Wright PA, Jeffery RE, Longcroft JM, Rogers L, Stamp GW (1992) Stromal expression of 72 kda type IV collagenase (MMP-2) and TIMP-2 mRNAs in colorectal neoplasia. Am J Pathol 141: 389-396.
- Price SJ, Greaves DR, Watkins H (2001) Identification of novel, functional genetic variants in the human matrix metalloproteinase-2 gene: role of Sp1 in allele specific transcriptional regulation. J Biol Chem 276: 7549-7558.
- Priyanka S, Tasleem AL, Rakesh K, Rama DM (2012) Association of promoter polymorphisms in MMP2 and TIMP2 with prostate cancer susceptibility in north India. Arch Med Res 43: 117-124.
- Qin H, Sun Y, Benveniste EN (1999) The transcription factors Sp1, Sp3 and AP-2 are required for constitutive matrix metalloproteinase-2 gene expression in astroglioma cells. J Biol Chem 274: 29130-29137.
- Rutter JL, Mitchell TI, Buttice G, Meyers J, Gusella JF, Ozelius LJ, Brinckerhoff CE (1998) A single nucleotide polymorphism in the matrix metalloproteinase-1 promoter creates an Ets binding site and augments transcription. Cancer Res 58: 5321-532.
- Roehe AV, Frazzon AP, Agnes G, Damin AP, Hartman AA, Graudenz MS (2007) Detection of polymorphisms in the promoter of matrix metalloproteinase 2 and 9 genes in breast cancer in South Brazil: preliminary results. Breast Cancer Res Treat 102: 123-124.
- Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulson A (1977) DNA sequencing with chain terminating inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74: 5463-5467.
- Saudi National Cancer Registry (2011) Cancer incidence and Survival Report Saudi Arabia. 2007. Riyadh
- Schwartz GK (1996) Invasion and metastases in gastric cancer: in vitro and in vivo models with clinical correlations. Semin Oncol 23: 316-324.
- Shim KN, Jung SA, Joo K (2007) Clinical significance of tissue levels of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases in gastric cancer. J Gastroenterol 42: 120-128.
- Simon JP, David RG, Hugh W (2001) Identification of novel, functional genetic variants in the Human matrix metalloproteinase-2 gene. J Biol Chem 276: 7549-7558.
- Strnad M, Hrabak-Zerjavic V, Samija M (2007) Epidemiology, prevention and early detection of breast cancer. In Breast tumors. Samija M, Zuzbasic S, Separovic V, Vrdoljak VD, eds. 1st edn, p 27-32. Medicinska Naklada. Zagreb.
- Strongin AY, Collier I, Bannikov G, Marmer BL, Grant GA, Goldberg GI (1995) Mechanism of cell surface activation of 72-kDa type IV collagenase: isolation of the activated form of the membrane metalloprotease. J Biol Chem 270: 5331-5338.
- Talvensaari-Mattila A, Paakko P, Hoyhtya M, Blanco-Sequeiros G, Turpeenniemi-Hujanen T (1998) Matrix metalloproteinase-2 immunoreactive protein: a marker of aggressiveness in breast carcinoma. Cancer 83: 1153-1162.
- Tyczynski JE, Bary F, Parkin DM (2002) Breast cancer in Europe. ENCR Cancer Fact Sheets: 2
- Woessner JF Jr (1998) In Matrix metalloproteinases, Parks WC, Mecham RP, eds, pp 1-14, Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, CA.
- Konttinen YT, Ainola M, Valleala H, Ma J, Ida H, Mandelin J, Kinne RW, Santavirta S, Sorsa T, López-Otín C, Takagi M (1999) Analysis of 16 different matrix metalloproteinases (MMP-1 to MMP-20) in the synovial membrane: different profiles in trauma and rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 58: 691-697.
- Hua Y, Song L, Wu N, Xie G, Lu X, Fan X, Meng X, Gu D, Yang Y (2009) Polymorphisms of MMP-2 gene are associated with systolic heart failure prognosis. Clin Chim Acta 404: 119-123.
- Zhang M, Teng XD, Guo XX, Li ZG, Han JG, Yao L (2013) Expression of tissue levels of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in breast cancer. The Breast 22: 330-334.
- Zhou Y, Yu C, Miao X, Tan W, Liang G, Xiong P, Sun T, Lin D (2004) Substantial reduction in risk of breast cancer associated with genetic polymorphisms in the promoters of the matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tissue inhibitors of the matrix metalloproteinase-2 genes. Carcinogenesis 25: 399-404.
Publication order reference