An organic solvent and surfactant stable α-amylase from soybean seeds
Languages of publication
An organic solvent and surfactant stable α-amylase was obtained from soybean seeds. The direct and indirect effect of various organic solvents (non-polar, polar protic, and polar aprotic) and surfactants on the activity and stability of free enzyme was determined. The enzyme showed a very high catalytic efficiency and stabilization against most of the organic solvents and surfactants tested, except for few. Those organic solvents and surfactants (like chloroform, dimethyl formamide, n-butanol, and Tween 20), which caused an inhibition in enzyme activity, were used to study their effects on immobilized enzyme. The inhibitory effect was found to be decreased in immobilized enzyme as compared to free enzyme indicating that immobilization imparted stability to the enzyme. Moreover, the possibility of reuse of the enzyme in the presence of the organic solvents and surfactants was increased upon immobilization. The stability of soybean α-amylase towards organic solvents and surfactants shows that it is a potential candidate for use in organic-solvent biocatalysis as well as in detergent industries.
- Bernfeld P (1955) Amylase alpha and beta. In Methods in Enzymology. Colowick SP, Kaplan NO, eds, pp 149-152. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Carrea G, Riva S (2000) Properties and synthetic applications of enzymes in organic solvents. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 39: 2226-2254.
- de Oliveira AN, de Oliveira LA, Andrade JS (2010) Partial characterization of amylases of two indigenous central amazonian rhizobia strains. Braz Arch Biol Technol 53: 35-45.
- Doukyu N, Ogino H (2010) Organic solvent-tolerant enzymes. Biochem Eng J 48: 270-282.
- Fukushima T, Mizuki T, Echigo A, Inoue A, Usami R (2005) Organic solvent tolerance of halophilic a-amylase from a Haloarchaeon, Haloarcula sp. strain S-1. Extremophiles 9: 85-89.
- Gupta R, Gigras P, Mohapatra H, Goswami VK, Chauhan B (2003) Microbial α-amylases: a biotechnological perspective. Process Biochem 38: 1599-1616.
- Jaiswal N, Prakash O (2011 a) Immobilization of a thermostable α-amylase on agarose and agar matrices and its application in starch stain removal. World Appl Sci J 13: 572-577.
- Jaiswal N, Prakash O (2011 b) Immobilization of soybean α-amylase on gelatin and its application as a detergent additive. Asian J Biochem 6: 337-346.
- Klibanov AM (1989) Enzymatic catalysis in anhydrous organic solvents. Trends Biochem Sci 14: 141-144.
- Koskinen AMP, Klibanov AM, eds, (1996) Enzymatic reactions in organic media. Blackie, London.
- Kumari A, Singh VK, Fitter J, Polen T, Kayastha AM (2010) α-amylases from germinating soybean (Glycine max) seeds- Purification, characterization and sequential similarity of conserved and catalytic amino acid residues. Phytochem 71: 1657-1666.
- Laemmli UK (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of Bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall PJ (1951) Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Ogino H, Nakagawa S, Shinya K, Muto T, Fujimura N, Yasuda M, Ishikawa H (2000) Purification and characterization of organic solvent-stable lipase from organic solvent-tolerant Pseudomonas aeruginosa LST-03. J Biosci Bioeng 89: 451-457.
- Pandey A, Nigam P, Soccol CR, Soccol VT, Singh D, Mohan R (2000) Advances in microbial amylases. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 31: 135-152.
- Prakash O, Jaiswal N (2010) A highly efficient and thermostable a-amylase from soya bean seeds. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 57: 105-110.
- Ruiz DM, De Castro RE (2007) Effect of organic solvents on the activity and stability of an extracellular protease secreted by the haloalkaliphilic archaeon Natrialba magadii. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 34: 111-115.
- Sellek GA, Chaudhuri JB (1999) Biocatalysis in organic media using enzymes from extremophiles. Enzyme Microb Technol 25: 471-482.
- Serdakowski AL, Dordick JS (2008) Enzyme activation for organic solvents made easy. Trends Biotechnol 26: 48-54.
- Shafiei M, Ziaee AA, Amoozegar MA (2011) Purification and characterization of an organic-solvent-tolerant halophilic α-amylase from the moderately halophilic Nesterenkonia sp. strain F. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 38: 275-281.
- Thumar JT, Singh SP (2009) Organic solvent tolerance of an alkaline protease from salt-tolerant alkaliphilic Streptomyces clavuligerus strain Mit-1. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 211-218.
- Zaks A, Klibanov AM (1984) Enzymatic catalysis in organic media at 100oC. Science 224: 1249-1251.
Publication order reference