Molecular basis of mechanisms of steroid resistance in children with nephrotic syndrome
Languages of publication
Steroid therapy, due to a wide range of anti-inflammatory properties of steroids, is a basic field of treatment in many human diseases including the nephrotic syndrome in children. However, not all patients respond positively to therapy which divides them into steroid sensitive (SS) and steroid resistance (SR) individuals. Many potential factors associated with steroid resistance have been identified so far. It seems that genetic factors associated with glucocorticoid receptor α (GRα), the structure of heterocomplex of GR as well as glycoprotein P or cytochrome P450 may play a role in the induction of glucocorticoid resistance. Here we described several of the molecular mechanisms, which can regulate glucocorticoid sensitivity and resistance. Moreover, we presented genetic defects, which can lead to various effects of treatment and, in a longer perspective, enable clinicians to individualize therapies.
- Alangari AA (2010) Genomic and non-genomic actions of glucocorticoids in asthma. Ann Thorac Med 5: 133-139.
- Banaszak B, Banaszak P, Adamczyk P, Ziora K (2011) First detection of pediatric nephrotic syndrome: clinical characteristics of a steroid-sensitive and steroid-resistant patient. Przegl Pediatr 41: 147-151 (in Polish).
- Barnes PJ (1998) Anti-inflammatory actions of glucocorticoids: molecular mechanism. Clin Sci 94: 557-572.
- Bartholome B, Spies CM, Gaber T, Schuchmann S, Berki T, Kunkel D, Bienert M, Radbruch A, Burmester GR, Lauster R, Scheffold A, Buttgereit F (2004) Membrane glucocorticoid receptors (mGCR) are expressed in normal human peripheral blood mononuclear cells and up-regulated after in vitro stimulation and in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. FASEB J 18: 70-80.
- Baugh JA, Chitnis S, Donnelly SC, Monteiro J, Lin X, Plant BJ, Wolfe F, Gregersen PK, Bucala R (2002) A functional promoter polymorphism in the macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) gene associated with disease severity in rheumatoid arthritis. Genes Immun 3: 170-176.
- Berdeli A, Mir S, Ozkayin N, Serdaroglu E, Tabel Y, Cura A (2005) Association of macrophage migration inhibitory factor -173C allele polymorphism with steroid resistance in children with nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 20: 1566-1571.
- Bucala R (2012) MIF, MIF Alleles, and prospects for therapeutic intervention in autoimmunity. J Clin Immunol [Epub ahead of print].
- Cheong HI, Kang HG, Schlondorff J (2012) GLCCI1 single nucleotide polymorphisms in pediatric nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 27: 1595-1599.
- Chiou YH, Wang LY, Wang TH, Huang SP (2012) Genetic polymorphisms influence the steroid treatment of children with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 27: 1511-1517.
- Choi HJ, Cho HY, Ro H, Lee SH, Han KH, Lee H, Kang HG, Ha IS, Choi Y, Cheong HI (2011) Polymorphisms of the MDR1 and MIF genes in children with nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 26: 1981-1988.
- Croxtall JD, van Hal PT, Choudhury Q, Gilroy DW, Flower RJ (2002) Different glucocorticoids vary in their genomic and non-genomic mechanism of action in A549 cells. Br J Pharmacol 135: 511-519.
- De Iudicibus S, Franca R, Martelossi S, Ventura A, Decorti G (2011) Molecular mechanism of glucocorticoid resistance in inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol 17: 1095-1108.
- Donn R, Alourfi Z, De Benedetti F, Meazza C, Zeggini E, Lunt M, Stevens A, Shelley E, Lamb R, Ollier WE, Thomson W, Ray D; British Paediatric Rheumatology Study Group (2002) Mutation screening of the macrophage migration inhibitory factor gene: positive association of a functional polymorphism of macrophage migration inhibitory factor with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 46: 2402-2409.
- Gao L, Flores C, Fan-Ma S, Miller EJ, Moitra J, Moreno L, Wadgaonkar R, Simon B, Brower R, Sevransky J, Tuder RM, Maloney JP, Moss M, Shanholtz C, Yates CR, Meduri GU, Ye SQ, Barnes KC, Garcia JG (2007) Macrophage migration inhibitory factor in acute lung injury: expression, biomarker, and associations. Transl Res 150: 18-29.
- Gross KL, Lu NZ, Cidlowski JA (2009) Molecular mechanisms regulating glucocorticoid sensitivity and resistance. Mol Cell Endocrinol 300: 7-16.
- Heitzer MD, Wolf IM, Sanchez ER, Witchel SF, DeFranco DB (2007) Glucocorticoid receptor physiology. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 8: 321-330.
- Jafar T, Agrawal S, Mahdi AA, Sharma RK, Awasthi S, Agarwal GG (2011) Cytokine gene polymorphism in idiopathic nephrotic syndrome children. Indian J Clin Biochem 26: 296-302.
- Jafar T, Prasad N, Agarwal V, Mahdi A, Gupta A, Sharma RK, Negi MP, Agrawal S (2011) MDR-1 gene polymorphisms in steroid-responsive versus steroid-resistant nephrotic syndrome in children. Nephrol Dial Transplant 26: 3968-3974.
- Jaroniec M, Ostalska-Nowicka D, Śmiech M, Siwińska A, Zachwieja J, Nowicki M (2010) Evaluation of single nucleotide polymorphism in direct vicinity of recognised mutations in NPHS2 gene in children with nephrotic syndrome. Nefrol Dial Pol 14: 111-115 (in Polish).
- Kobayashi Y, Arakawa H, Suzuki M, Takizawa T, Tokuyama K, Morikawa A (2003) Polymorphisms of interleukin-4-related genes in Japanese children with minimal change nephrotic syndrome. Am J Kidney Dis 42: 271-276.
- Krupoves A, Mack D, Seidman E, Deslandres C, Amre D (2011) Associations between variants in the ABCB1 (MDR1) gene and corticosteroid dependence in children with Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 17: 2308-2317.
- Lu NZ, Cidlowski JA (2004) The origin and functions of multiple human glucocorticoid receptor isoforms. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1024: 102-123.
- Mwinyi J, Wenger C, Eloranta JJ, Kullak-Ublick GA (2010) Glucocorticoid receptor gene haplotype structure and steroid therapy outcome in IBD patients. World J Gastroenterol 16: 3888-3896.
- Ouyang J, Chen P, Jiang T, Chen Y, Li J (2012) Nuclear HSP90 regulates the glucocorticoid responsiveness of PBMCs in patients with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome. Int Immunopharmacol 14: 334-340.
- Raby BA, Van Steen K, Lasky-Su J, Tantisira K, Kaplan F, Weiss ST (2009) Importin-13 genetic variation is associated with improved airway responsiveness in childhood asthma. Respir Res 10: 67.
- Reichardt HM, Kaestner KH, Tuckermann J, Kretz O, Wessely O, Bock R, Gass P, Schmid W, Herrlich P, Angel P, Schütz G (1998) DNA binding of the glucocorticoid receptor is not essential for survival. Cell 93: 531-541.
- Shiroeda H, Tahara T, Nakamura M, Shibata T, Nomura T, Yamada H, Hayashi R, Saito T, Yamada M, Fukuyama T, Otsuka T, Yano H, Ozaki K, Tsuchishima M, Tsutsumi M, Arisawa T (2010) Association between functional promoter polymorphisms of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) gene and ulcerative colitis in Japan. Cytokine 51: 173-177.
- Smoak KA, Cidlowski JA (2004) Mechanisms of glucocorticoid receptor signaling during inflammation. Mech Ageing Dev 125: 697-706.
- Stachowski J, Krynicki T, Barth C, Runowski D, Lewandowska-Stachowiak M, Warzywoda A, Bortkiewicz E, Dobosz M, Maciejewski J (2000) Does the changed Th1/Th2 activity in children with the assessment of body water in children with nephrotic syndrome: initial results. Pol Merkur Lekarski 8: 222-224.
- Stachowski J, Zanker CB, Runowski D, Zaniew M, Peszko A, Medyńska A, Zwolińska D, Rogowska-Kalisz A, Hyla-Klekot L, Szprygner K, Weglarska J, Sieniawska M, Musiał W, Maciejewski J, Baldamus CA (2000) Resistance to therapy in primary nephrotic syndrome: effect of MDR1 gene activity. Pol Merkur Lekarski 8: 218-221.
- Stahn C, Buttgereit F (2008) Genomic and nongenomic effects of glucocorticoids. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 4: 525-533.
- Stosic-Grujicic S, Stojanovic I, Nicoletti F (2009) MIF in autoimmunity and novel therapeutic approaches. Autoimmun Rev 8: 244-249.
- Taraszkiewicz J, Hyla Klekot L, Wystrychowski A (2009) Idiopathic nephrotic syndrome with minimum lesions: pathogenetic aspects yesterday and today. Nefrol Dial Pol 13: 244-249 (in Polish).
- Urban JD, Budinsky RA, Rowlands JC (2012) An evaluation of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the human heat shock protein 90 kDa alpha and beta isoforms. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 27: 268-278.
- van Rossum EF, Lamberts SW (2006) Glucocorticoid resistance syndrome: A diagnostic and therapeutic approach. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 20: 611-626.
- Vivarelli M, D'Urbano LE, Stringini G, Ghiggeri GM, Caridi G, Donn R, Tozzi A, Emma F, De Benedetti F (2008) Association of the macrophage migration inhibitory factor -173*C allele with childhood nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 23: 743-748.
- Wasilewska A, Zalewski G, Chyczewski L, Zoch-Zwierz W (2007) MDR-1 gene polymorphisms and clinical course of steroid-responsive nephrotic syndrome in children. Pediatr Nephrol 22: 44-51.
- Wasilewska A, Zoch-Zwierz W, Pietruczuk M, Zalewski G (2006) Expression of P-glycoprotein in lymphocytes from children with nephrotic syndrome, depending on their steroid response. Pediatr Nephrol 21: 1274-1280.
- Yang N, Ray DW, Matthews LC (2012) Current concepts in glucocorticoid resistance. Steroids 77: 1041-1049.
- Youssef DM, Elbehidy RM, Abdelhalim HS, Amr GE (2011) Soluble interleukine-2 receptor and MDR1 gene expression levels as inflammatory biomarkers for prediction of steroid response in children with nephrotic syndrome. Iran J Kidney Dis 5: 154-161.
Publication order reference