Changes of the expression of Lewis blood group antigens in glycoproteins of renal cancer tissues
Languages of publication
Sialic acid and sialyl Lewisa/x are found on N- and O-glycans of many human malignant cells. Carbohydrate antigens can be used as tumor markers, and an increase of their levels in cancer cells is associated with tumor progression. The aim of this study was to assess the level of some Lewis blood group antigens on glycoproteins in tumor (cancer tissue), intermediate zone (adjacent to tumor tissue), and normal renal cortex/medulla (uninvolved by tumor). The study was performed on tissues taken from 30 patients. Relative amounts of sugar structures of proteins with molecular masses above 30 kDa were determined by ELISA-like test with biotinylated lectins: MAA (Maackia amurensis), SNA (Sambucus nigra), and monoclonal antibodies anti-sialyl Lewisa/x.. Higher expression of all examined structures was revealed in cancer tissues. Significant increases were observed for sialic acid linked α 2-3 in cancer tissues when compared to healthy ones and also among intermediate and healthy tissues. The sialic acid linked α 2-6 and sialyl Lewisx structures were significantly increased in cancerous cells when compared to normal and intermediate renal tissue. In case of sialyl Lewisa antigen, a significant difference was discovered between normal and intermediate tissue. Our results confirm that the examined Lewis antigens can be involved in tumor development. Their increase in cancer tissues can suggest their specific role in the process.
- Brockhausen I (2003) Glycodynamics of mucin biosynthesis in gastrointestinal tumor cells. Adv Exp Med Biol 535: 163-188.
- Brockhausen I (2006) Mucin-type O-glycans in human colon and breast cancer: glycodynamics and functions. EMBO Rep 7: 599-604.
- Carvalho AS, Harduin-Lepers A, Magalhães A, Machado E, Mendes N, Costa LT, Matthiesen R, Almeida R, Costa J, Reis CA (2010) Differential expression of alpha-2,3-sialyltransferases and alpha-1,3/4-fucosyltransferases regulates the levels of sialyl Lewis a and sialyl Lewis x in gastrointestinal carcinoma cells. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42: 80-89.
- Cazet A, Julien S, Bobowski M, Burchell J, Delannoy P (2010) Tumour-associated carbohydrate antigens in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res 12: 204.
- Cordon-Cardo C, Reuter VE, Finstad CL, Sheinfeld J, Lloyd KO, Fair WR, Melamed MR (1989) Blood group-related antigens in human kidney: modulation of Lewis determinants in renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 49: 212-218.
- Gabius HJ, André S, Kaltner H, Siebert HC (2002) The sugar code: functional lectinomics. Biochim Biophys Acta 1572: 165-177.
- Irimura T, Nakamori S, Matsushita Y, Taniuchi Y, Todoroki N, Tsuji T, Izumi Y, Kawamura Y, Hoff SD, Cleary KR, et al. (1993) Colorectal cancer metastasis determined by carbohydrate-mediated cell adhesion: role of sialyl-LeX antigens. Semin Cancer Biol 4: 319-324.
- Kannagi R (2004) Molecular mechanism for cancer-associated induction of sialyl Lewis X and sialyl Lewis A expression - the Warburg effect revisited. Glycoconj J 20: 353-364.
- Kim YJ, Varki A (1997) Perspectives on the significance of altered glycosylation of glycoproteins in cancer. Glycoconj J 14: 569-576.
- Li Y, Chen X (2012) Sialic acid metabolism and sialyltransferases: natural functions and applications. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 94: 887-905.
- Matsushita Y, Nakamori S, Seftor EA, Hendrix MJ, Irimura T (1991) Human colon carcinoma cells with increased invasive capacity obtained by selection for sialyl-dimeric LeX antigen. Exp Cell Res 196: 20-25.
- Nakamori S, Kameyama M, Imaoka S, Furukawa H, Ishikawa O, Sasaki Y, Kabuto T, Iwanaga T, Matsushita Y, Irimura T (1993) Increased expression of sialyl Lewisx antigen correlates with poor survival in patients with colorectal carcinoma: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study. Cancer Res 53: 3632-3637.
- Potapenko IO, Haakensen VD, Lüders T, Helland A, Bukholm I, Sørlie T, Kristensen VN, Lingjaerde OC, Børresen-Dale AL (2010) Glycan gene expression signatures in normal and malignant breast tissue; possible role in diagnosis and progression. Mol Oncol 4: 98-118.
- Saito S, Orikasa S, Ohyama C, Satoh M, Fukushi Y (1991) Changes in glycolipids in human renal-cell carcinoma and their clinical significance. Int J Cancer 49: 329-334.
- Satoh M, Handa K, Saito S, Tokuyama S, Ito A, Miyao N, Orikasa S, Hakomori S (1996) Disialosyl galactosylgloboside as an adhesion molecule expressed on renal cell carcinoma and its relationship to metastatic potential. Cancer Res 56: 1932-1938.
- Smith PK, Krohn RI, Hermanson GT, Mallia AK, Gartner FH, Provenzano MD, Fujimot EK, Goeke NM, Olson BJ, Klenk DC (1985) Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid. Anal Biochem 150: 76-85.
- Spiro RG (2002) Protein glycosylation: nature, distribution, enzymatic formation, and disease implications of glycopeptide bonds. Glycobiology 12: 43R-56R.
- St Hill CA (2011) Interactions between endothelial selectins and cancer cells regulate metastasis. Front Biosci 16: 3233-3251.
- Ugorski M, Laskowska A (2002) Sialyl Lewis(a): a tumor-associated carbohydrate antigen involved in adhesion and metastatic potential of cancer cells. Acta Biochim Pol 49: 303-311.
Publication order reference