Variations in xanthophyll composition in etiolated seedlings of Arabidopsis thaliana correlate with protochlorophyllide accumulation
Languages of publication
Protochlorophyllide (Pchlide) accumulation and xantophyll composition were studied in 5-day old etiolated seedlings of three ecotypes of Arabidopsis thaliana: Columbia (Col-0), Landsberg erecta (Ler) and Wassiliewska (Ws). The total Pchlide level as measured by fluorescence spectroscopy varied significantly between ecotypes. A rapid HPLC method revealed quantitative differences in carotenoid composition. It was found that in the Ler ecotype any enhanced accumulation of Pchlide correlates with an increased level of lutein, suggesting the role of enzymes involved in lutein synthesis in cross-regulation between chlorophyll and carotenoid biosynthetic pathways. The function of the dark-accumulated carotenoid pool in seedling de-etiolation is discussed.
- Belyaeva OB, Litvin FF (2007) Photoactive pigment-enzyme complexes of chlorophyll precursor in plant leaves. Biochemistry Moscow 72: 1458-1477.
- Casal JJ (2006) The photoreceptor interaction network. In: Photomorphogenesis in Plants and Bacteria 3rd ed. Schafer E, Nagy F, eds, pp 407-437. Springer, Netherlands.
- Cazzonelli CI, Pogson BJ (2010) Source to sink: regulation of carotenoids biosynthesis in plants. Trends Plant Sci 15: 266-274.
- Cuttris AJ, Chubb AC, Alawady A, Grimm B, Pogson BJ (2007) Regulation of lutein biosynthesis and prolamellar body formation in Arabidopsis. Funct Plant Biol 34: 663-672.
- Dong H, Deng Y, Mu J, Lu Q, Wang Y, Xu Y, Chu C, Chong K, Lu C, Zuo J (2007) The Arabidopsis Spontaneous Cell Death1 gene, encoding a zeta-carotene desaturase essential for carotenoid biosynthesis, is involved in chloroplast development, photoprotection and retrograde signalling. Cell Res 17: 458-470.
- Franck F, Sperling U, Frick G, Pochert B, van Cleve B, Apel K, Armstrong GA (2000) Regulation of etioplast pigment protein complexes, inner membrane architecture, and protochlorophyllide a chemical heterogeneity by light-dependent NADPH:protochlorophyllide oxidoreductase A and B. Plant Physiol 124: 1678-1696.
- Koornneef M, Kendrick RE (1994) Photomorphogenic mutants of higher plants. In: Photomorphogenesis in plants, Kendrick RE, Kronenberg GHM, eds, pp 601-628, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- La Rocca N, Rascio N, Öster W, Rüdiger W (2007) Inhibition of lycopene cyclase results in accumulation of chlorophyll precursors. Planta 225: 1019-1029.
- Malec P, Yahalom A, Chamovitz DA (2002) Identification of a light-regulated protein kinase activity from seedlings of Arabidopsis thaliana. Photochem Photobiol 75: 178-183.
- Meier S, Tzfadia O, Vallabhaneni R, Gehring Ch, Wurtzel ET (2011) A transcriptional analysis of carotenoid, chlorophyll and plastidial isoprenoid biosynthesis genes during development and osmotic stress responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Systems Biology 5: 77.
- Myśliwa-Kurdziel B, Turek E, Malec P (2011) Protochlorophyllide forms in etiolated seedlings of photoreceptor mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana - is chlorophyll biosynthesis controlled by cooperation between phytochromes and phototropins? Proceedings of the 15th International Congress on Photosynthesis, August 22-27, 2010 Beijing, China (in press).
- Myśliwa-Kurdziel B, Strzałka K (2010) Light-induced reduction of protochlorophyllide in angiosperms and chloroplast development. Postepy Biochemii 56: 418-426 (in Polish).
- Park H, Kreunen SS, Cuttriss AJ, DellaPenna D, Pogson BJ (2002) Identification of the carotenoid isomerase provides insight into carotenoid biosynthesis, prolamellar body formation, and photomorphogenesis. The Plant Cell 14: 321-332.
- Rodriguez-Villalón A, Gas E, Rodriguez-Concepción M (2009) Colors in the dark. A model for the regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis in etioplasts. Plant Signal Behav 4: 965-967.
- Schoefs B, Bertrand M, Lemoine Y (1995) Separation of photosynthetic pigments and their precursors by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography using a photodiode-array detector. J Chromatogr 692: 239-245.
- Schoefs B (2005) Protochlorophyllide reduction - what is new in 2005? Photosynthetica 43: 329-343.
- Schoefs B, Franck F (2003) Protochlorophyllide reduction: mechanisms and evolution. Photochem Photobiol 78: 543-557.
- Solymosi K, Schoefs B (2010) Etioplast and etio-chloroplast formation under natural conditions:the dark side of chlorophyll biosynthesis in angiosperms. Photosynth Res 105: 143-166.
- Yahubyan G, Minkov I, Sundqvist C (2001) Carotenoid dependence of the protochlorophyllide to chlorophyllide phototransformation in dark-grown wheat seedlings. J Photochem Photobiol B 65: 171-176.
- Yanovsky MJ, Casal JJ, Luppi JP (1997) The VLF loci, polymorphic between ecotypes Landsberg erecta and Columbia dissect two branches of phytochrome A signalling pathways that correspond to the very-low fluence and high-irradiance responses of phytochrome. Plant J 12: 659-667.
- Von Arnim A, Deng XW (1996) Light control of seedling development. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 47: 215-243.
- Welsch R, Beyer P, Hugueney P, Kleinig H, von Lintig J (2000) Regulation and activation of phytoene synthese, a key enzyme in carotenoid biosynthesis, during photomorphogenesis. Planta 211: 846-854.
Publication order reference