The activity of antioxidant enzymes in colorectal adenocarcinoma and corresponding normal mucosa
Languages of publication
Oxidative stress is one of several factors which contribute to the development of colorectal carcinogenesis. The aim of the study was an assessment of the activity of antioxidant enzymes in tumour and corresponding normal distal mucosa in a group of patients with colorectal adenocarcinoma. Samples of tumour and corresponding normal mucosa were obtained during a resection of colorectal cancer from 47 patients aged between 26 and 82 years. The average distance of corresponding normal distal mucosa from the tumour was 4.49 cm. Activities of antioxidant enzymes: superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione reductase (GR), glutathione peroxidase (GPx), glutathione S-transferase (GST), and catalase (CAT) were measured in tissue homogenates. The patients were grouped according to the tumour stage (Duke's staging), grading, localization, and size of tumour, as well as age and sex. Statistical analysis was performed. The activity of SOD and GPx was considerably increased, while the activity of GST decreased significantly in tumour as compared with normal mucosa. GR activity in colorectal cancer was evidently higher in tumours of proximal location compared with the distal ones. The distance of corresponding normal distal mucosa from the tumour was analyzed and related to all assayed parameters. A decreased GST activity was observed in corresponding normal mucosa more than 5 cm distant from the tumour in patients with CD Duke's stage. The higher activity of superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase in tumour compared to corresponding normal mucosa could indicate higher oxidative stress in colorectal adenocarcinoma cells.
- Abele D (2002) Toxic oxygen: the radical life-giver. Nature 420: 27.
- Bartsch H, Nair J, Owen RW (2002) Exocyclic DNA adducts as oxidative stress markers in colon carcinogenesis: potential role of lipid peroxidation, dietary fat and antioxidants. Biol Chem 383: 915-921.
- Bechtel W, Bauer G (2009) Modulation of intercellular ROS signaling of human tumor cells. Anticancer Res 29: 4559-4570.
- Beevi SS, Rasheed MH, Geetha A (2007) Evidence of oxidative and nitrosative stress in patients with cervical squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Chim Acta 375: 119-123.
- Beno I, Staruchova M, Volkovova K, Batovsky M (1995) Increased antioxidant enzyme activities in the colorectal adenoma and carcinoma. Neoplasma 42: 265-269.
- Ceriello A (2006) Effects of macronutrient excess and composition on oxidative stress: relevance to diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Curr Atheroscler Rep 8: 472-476.
- Cerutti PA (1994) Oxy-radicals and cancer. Lancet 344: 862-863.
- Chu FF, Esworthy RS, Chu PG, et al (2004) Bacteria-induced intestinal cancer in mice with disrupted Gpx1 and Gpx2 genes. Cancer Res 64: 962-968.
- Craghill J, Cronshaw AD, Harding JJ (2004) The identification of a reaction site of glutathione mixed-disulphide formation on γS-crystallin in human lens. Biochem J 379: 595-600.
- Czeczot H, Skrzycki M, Gawryszewska E, Podsiad M, Porembska Z (2003) Evaluation of antioxidant status in patients with primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Pol Merkur Lekarski 15: 118-122 (in Polish).
- Dalle-Donne I, Rossi R, Giustarini D, Colombo R, Milzani A (2005) Is there a role for S-glutathionylation of proteins in human disease? IUBMB Life 57: 189-192.
- Dalle-Donne I, Rossi R, Colombo R, Giustarini D, Milzani A (2006) Biomarkers of oxidative damage in human disease. Clin Chem 52: 601-623.
- Das S, Mahapatra SK, Gautam N, Das A, Roy S (2007) Oxidative stress in lymphocytes, neutophils, and serum of oral cavity cancer patients: modulatory array of L-glutamine. Support Care Cancer 15: 1399-1405.
- Dincer Y, Himmetoglu S, Akcay T, et al (2007) Prognostic significances of oxidative DNA damage evaluated by 8-hydroksy-deoxyguanosine and antioxidant enzymes in patients undergoing resection of gastric and colon carcinoma. Neoplasma 54: 131-136.
- Dudek H, Farbiszewski R, Rydzewska M, Michno T, Kozłowski A (2004) Evaluation of antioxidant enzymes activity and concentration of non-enzymatic antioxidants in human brain tumours. Wiad Lek 57: 16-19 (in Polish).
- Dursun H, Bilici M, Uyanik A, Okcu N, Akyuz M (2006) Antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid peroxidation levels in erythrocytes of patients with oesophageal and gastric cancer. J Int Med Res 34: 193-199.
- Erhardt JG, Lim SS, Bode JC, Bode C (1997) A diet rich in fat and poor in dietary fiber increases the in vitro formation of reactive oxygen species in human feces. J Nutr 127: 706-709.
- Elchuri S, Oberley TD, Qi W, et al (2005) CuZnSOD deficiency leads to persistent and widespread oxidative damage and hepatocarcinogenesis later in life. Oncogene 24: 367-380.
- Erata GO, Kanbagli O, Durlanik O, Bulut T, Toker G, Uysal M (2005) Induced oxidative stress and decreased expression of inducible heat shock protein 70 (ihsp70) in patients with colorectal adenocarcinomas. Jpn J Clin Oncol 35: 74-78.
- Esteller M, Corn PG, Urena JM, Gabrielson E, Baylin SB, Herman JG (1998) Inactivation of glutathione S-transferase P1 gene by promoter hypermethylation in human neoplasia. Cancer Res 58: 4515-4518.
- Evans MD, Dizdaroglu M, Cooke MS (2004) Oxidative DNA damage and disease: induction, repair and significance. Mutat Res 567: 1-61.
- Gonzalgo ML, Pavlovich CP, Lee SM, Nelson WG (2003) Prostate cancer detection by GSTP1 methylation analysis of postbiopsy urine specimens. Clin Cancer Res 9: 2673-2677.
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB (1974) Glutathione S-transferases. The first step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249: 7130-7139.
- Halliwell B (2007) Oxidative stress and cancer: have we moved forward? Biochem J 401: 1-11.
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge J (1999) Free radicals in biology and medicine. 3nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hileman EO, Liu J, Albitar M, Keating MJ, Huang P (2004) Intrinsic oxidative stress in cancer cells: a biochemical basis for therapeutic selectivity. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 53: 209-219.
- Ho JC, Mak JC, Ho SP, Ip MS, Tsang KW, Lam WK, Chan-Yeung M (2006) Manganese superoxide dismutase and catalase genetic polymorphisms, activity levels, and lung cancer risk in Chinese in Hong Kong. J Thorac Oncol 1: 648-653.
- Hofseth LJ, Hussain SP, Wogan GN, Harris CC (2003) Nitric oxide in cancer and chemoprevention. Free Radic Biol Med 34: 955-968.
- Holley SL, Rajagopal R, Hoban PR, et al (2006) Polymorphisms in the glutathione S-transferase mu cluster are associated with tumour progression and patient outcome in colorectal cancer. Int J Oncol 28: 231-236.
- Hwang TS, Choi HK, Han HS (2007) Differential expression of manganese superoxide dismutase, copper/zinc superoxide dismutase, and catalase in gastric adenocarcinoma and normal gastric mucosa. Eur J Surg Oncol 33: 474-479.
- Humphries KM, Szweda PA, Szweda LI (2006) Aging: a shift from redox regulation to oxidative damage. Free Radic Res 40: 1239-1243.
- Inayama M, Hashimoto N, Tokoro T, Shiozaki H (2007) Involvement of oxidative stress in experimentally induced reflux esophagitis and esophageal cancer. Hepatogastroenterology 54: 761-765.
- Ishii K, Zhen LX, Wang DH, Funamori Y, Ogawa K, Taketa K (1996) Prevention of mammary tumorigenesis in acatalasemic mice by vitamin E supplementation. Jpn J Cancer Res 87: 680-684.
- Janssen AM, Bosman CB, Kruidenier L, Griffioen G, Lamers CB, van Krieken JH, van de Velde CJ, Verspaget HW (1999) Superoxide dismutases in the human colorectal cancer sequence. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 125: 327-335.
- Janssen AM, Bomsan CB, van Duijn W et al. (2000) Superoxide dismutases in gastric and esophageal cancer and the prognostic impact in gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 6: 3183-3192.
- Johansson LH, Borg LA (1988) A spectrophotometric method for determination of catalase activity in small tissue samples. Anal Biochem 174: 331-336.
- Kamp DW, Srinivasan M, Weitzman SA (2001) Cigarette smoke and asbestos active poly-ADP-ribose polymerase in alveolar epithelial cells. J Investig Med 49: 68-76.
- Kanbagli O, Ozdemirler G, Bulut T, Yamaner S, Aykac-Toker G, Uysal M (2000) Mitochondrial lipid peroxides and antioxidant enzymes in colorectal adenocarcinoma tissues. Jpn J Cancer Res 91: 1258-1263.
- Karihtala P, Soini Y (2007) Reactive oxygen species and antioxidant mechanisms in human tissues and their relation to malignancies. APMIS 115: 81-103.
- Katoh T, Nagata N, Kuroda Y, et al (1996) Glutathione S-transferase M1 (GSTM1) and T1 (GSTT1) genetic polymorphism and susceptibility to gastric and colorectal adenocarcinoma. Carcinogenesis 17: 1855-1859.
- Kekec Y, Paydas S, Tuli A, Zorludemir S, Sakman G, Seydaoglu G (2009) Antioxidant enzyme levels in cases with gastrointestinal cancer. Eur J Intern Med 20: 403-406.
- Kim HC, Roh SA, Ga IH, Kim JS, Yu CS, Kim JC (2005) CpG island methylation as an early event during adenoma progression in carcinogenesis of sporadic colorectal cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 20: 1920-1926.
- Kim J, Lee HS, Bae SI, Lee YM, Kim WH (2005) Silencing and CpG island methylation of GSTP1 is rare in ordinary gastric carcinomas but common in Epstein-Barr virus - associated gastric carcinomas. Anticancer Res 25: 4013-4020.
- Kitteringham NR, Palmer L, Owen A (2007) Detection and biochemical characterisation of a novel polymorphism in the human GSTP1 gene. Biochim Biophys Acta 1770: 1240-1247.
- Klatt P, Lamas S (2000) Regulation of protein function by S-glutathiolation in response to oxidative and nitrosative stress. Eur J Biochem 267: 4928-4944.
- Klaunig JE, Kamendulis LM (2004) The role of oxidative stress in carcinogenesis. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 44: 239-267.
- Klimczak A, Kubiak K, Malinowska K, Dziki L (2009) Activity of selected antioxidant enzymes examination in people with colorectal cancer. Pol Merkur Lekarski 27: 470-473.
- Kondo S, Toyokuni S, Iwasa Y, Tanaka T, Onodera H, Hiai H, Imamura M (1999) Persistent oxidative stress in human colorectal carcinoma, but not in adenoma. Free Radic Biol Med 27: 401-410.
- Krakowczyk L, Strzelczyk JK, Adamek B, Zalewska-Ziob M, Arendt J, Półtorak S, Maciejewski B, Wiczkowski A (2008) Methylation of the MGMT and p16 genes in sporadic colorectal carcinoma and corresponding normal colonic mucosa. Med Sci Monit 14: BR 219-225.
- Landi S, Gemignani F, Neri M et al. (2007) Polymorphisms of glutathione-S-transferase M1 and manganese superoxide dismutase are associated with the risk of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Int J Cancer 120: 2739-2743.
- Laviano A, Meguid MM, Preziosa I, Fanelli FR (2007) Oxidative stress and wasting in cancer. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10: 449-456.
- Lightfoot TJ, Skibola CF, Smith AG, et al (2006) Polymorphisms in the oxidative stress genes, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase and risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Haematologica 91: 1222-1227.
- Lin MT, Beal MF (2006) Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases. Nature 443: 787-795.
- Liu X, Zhao J, Zheng R (2003) DNA damage of tumor-associated lymphocytes and total antioxidant capacity in cancerous patients. Mutat Res 539: 1-8.
- Lu F (2007) Reactive oxygen species in cancer, too much or too little? Med Hypotheses 69: 1293-1298.
- Manoharan S, Kolanjiappan K, Suresh K, Panjamurthy K (2005) Lipid peroxidation & antioxidants status in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Indian J Med Res 122: 529-534.
- Muller H, Brenner H (2006) Urine markers as possible tools for prostate cancer screening: review of performance characteristics and practicality. Clin Chem 52: 562-573.
- Namysłowski G, Sobczak A, Uhma E (2003) The activity of enzymatic antioxidant system depending on larynx cancer staging. Otolaryngol Pol 57: 39-43.
- Nicholson ML, Neoptolemos JP, Clayton HA, Talbot IC, Bell PR (1991) Increased cell membrane arachidonic acid in experimental colorectal tomours. Gut 32: 413-418.
- Olędzki R, Kędziora-Kornatowska K (2006) Antioxidative mechanisms in human being. Valetudinaria - Post Med Klin Wojsk 11: 15-20 (in Polish).
- Ozdemirler G, Pabuccuoglu H, Bulut T, Bugra D, Uysal M, Toker G (1998) Increased lipoperoxide levels and antioxidant system in colorectal cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 124: 555-559.
- Patel JB, Shah FD, Shukla SN, Shah PM, Patel PS (2009) Role of nitric oxide and antioxidant enzymes in the pathogenesis of oral cancer. J Cancer Res Ther 5: 247-253.
- Pejic S, Todorovic A, Stojiljkovic V, Kasapovic J, Pajovic SB (2009) Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in endometrium of patients with polyps, myoma, hyperplasia and adenocarcinoma. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7: 149.
- Pelicano H, Carney D, Huang P (2004) ROS stress in cancer cells and therapeutic implications. Drug Resist Updat 7: 97-110.
- Pervaiz S (2006) Pro-oxidant milieu blunts scissors: insight into tumor progression, drug resistance, and novel druggable targets. Curr Pharm Des 12: 4469-4477.
- Pylvas M, Puistola U, Kauppila S, Soini Y, Karihtala P (2010) Oxidative stress-induced antioxidant enzyme expression is an early phenomenon in ovarian carcinogenesis. Eur J Cancer 46: 1661-1667.
- Rainis T, Maor I, Lanir A, Shnizer S, Lavy A (2007) Enhanced oxidative stress and leucocyte activation in neoplastic tissues of the colon. Dig Dis Sci 52: 526-530.
- Rao GM, Rao AV, Raja A, Rao S, Rao A (2000) Role of antioxidant enzymes in brain tumours. Clin Chim Acta 296: 203-212.
- Ray G, Batra S, Shukla NK, Deo S, Raina V, Ashok S, Husain SA (2000) Lipid peroxidation, free radical production and antioxidant status in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 59: 163-170.
- Ray G, Husain SA (2002) Oxidants, antioxidants and carcinogenesis. Indian J Exp Biol 40: 1213-1232.
- Ridnour LA, Thomas DD, Mancardi D, Espey MG, Miranda KM, Paolocci N, Feelisch M, Fukuto J, Wink DA (2004) The chemistry of nitrosative stress by nitric oxide and reactive oxide species. Putting perspective on stressful biological situations. Biol Chem 385: 1-10.
- Rao GM, Rao AV, Raja A, Rao S, Rao A (2000) Role of antioxidant enzymes in brain tumours. Clin Chim Acta 296: 203-212.
- Roessner A, Kuester D, Malfertheiner P, Schneider-Stock R (2008) Oxidative stress in ulcerative colitis-associated carcinogenesis. Pathol Res Pract 204: 511-524.
- Satomi A, Murakami S, Hashimoto T, Ishida K, Matsuki M, Sonoda M (1995) Significance of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in human colorectal cancer tissue: correlation with malignant intensity. J Gastroenterol 30: 177-182.
- Savitha S, Tamilselvan J, Anusuyadevi M, Panneerselvam C (2005) Oxidative stress on mitochondrial antioxidant defense system in the aging process: Role of DL-α-lipoic acid and L-carnitine. Clin Chim Acta 355: 173-180.
- Seven A, Seymen O, Inci F, Oz B, Yigit G, Burcak G (2000) Evaluation of oxidative stress in experimental colitis: effects of L-arginine-nitric oxide pathway manipulation. J Toxicol Environ Health A 61: 167-176.
- Sharma M, Rajappa M, Kumar G, Sharma A (2009) Oxidant-antioxidant status in Indian patients with carcinoma of posterior one-third of tongue. Cancer Biomark 5: 253-260.
- Sharma A, Rajappa M, Saxena A, Sharma M (2007) Antioxidant status in advanced cervical cancer patients unergoing neoadjuvant chemoradiation. Br J Biomed Sci 64: 23-27.
- Simmonds NJ, Allen RE, Stevens TR, van Someren RN, Blake DR, Rampton DS (1992) Chemiluminescence assay of mucosal reactive oxygen metabolites in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 103: 186-196.
- Singh I (1997) Biochemistry of peroxisomes in health and disease. Mol Cell Biochem 167: 1-29.
- Singh RP, Sharad S, Kapur S (2004) Free radicals and oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases: relevance of dietary antioxidants. JIACM 5: 218-225.
- Skrzydlewska E, Kozuszko B, Sulkowska M, Bogdan Z, Kozlowski M, Snarska J, Puchalski Z, Sulkowski S, Skrzydlewski Z (2003) Antioxidant potential in esophageal, stomach and colorectal cancers. Hepatogastroenterology 50: 126-131.
- Skrzydlewska E, Stankiewicz A, Sulkowska M, Sulkowski S, Kasacka I (2001) Antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in colorectal cancer. J Toxicol Environ Health 64: 213-222.
- Skrzydlewska E, Sułkowski S, Koda M, Zalewski B, Kanczuga-Koda L, Sulkowska M (2005) Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in colorectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol 11: 403-406.
- Spitz DR, Sim JE, Ridnour LA, Galoforo SS, Lee YJ (2000) Glucose deprivation-induced oxidative stress in human tumor cells. A fundamental defect in metabolism? Ann N Y Acad Sci 899: 349-362.
- Stanczyk M, Gromadzinska J, Wasowicz W (2005) Roles of reactive oxygen species and selected antioxidants in regulation of cellular metabolism. Int J Occup Med Environ Health 18: 15-26.
- Stoehlmacher J, Park DJ, Zhang S, Groshen S, Tsao-Wei DD, Yu MC, Lenz HJ (2002) Association between glutathione S-transferase P1, T1, and M1 genetic polymorphism and survival of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 94: 936-942.
- Szatrowski TP, Nathan CF (1991) Production of large amounts of hydrogen peroxide by human tumor cells. Cancer Res 51: 794-798.
- Tanaka M, Chock PB, Stadtman ER (2007) Oxidized messenger RNA induces translation errors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104: 66-71.
- Toyokuni S (1998) Oxidative stress and cancer: the role of redox regulation. Biotherapy 11: 147-154.
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J (2007) Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84.
- Vanisree AJ, Shyamaladevi CS (1999) Status of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in malignant (bronchogenic carcinoma) and non-malignant pleular effusions. Indian J Cancer 36: 127-134.
- Violi F, Cangemi R (2005) Antioxidants and cardiovascular disease. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 6: 895-900.
- Wang SH, Wang YZ, Zhang KY, Shen JH, Zhou HQ, Qiu XY (2005) Effect of superoxide dismutase and malondialdehyde metabolic changes on carcinogenesis of gastric carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 11: 4305-4310.
- Waszczykowska E, Sysa-Jedrzejowska A, Choczaj-Kukula A (1999) Reactive oxygen species in cell physiology and pathology-therapeutic possibilities. Centr Eur J Immunol 24: 3-8.
- Wiseman H, Halliwell B (1996) Damage to DNA by reactive oxygen and nitrogen species: role in inflammatory disease and progression to cancer. Biochem J 313: 17-29.
- Yao S, Barlow WE, Albain KS et al. (2010) Manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism, treatment-related toxicity and disease-free survival in SWOG 8897 clinical trial for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 124: 433-439.
- Yokota J (2000) Tumor progression and metastasis. Carcinogenesis 21: 497-503.
- Zafirellis K, Zachaki A, Agrogiannis G, Gravani K (2010) Inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and its prognostic significance in colorectal cancer. APMIS 118: 115-124.
- Zasadowski A, Wysocki A, Barski D, Spodniewska A (2004) Some aspects of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and antioxidative system agent's action. Short review. Acta Toxicol 12: 5-19.
- Zimmerman R, Cerutti P (1984) Active oxygen acts as a promoter of transformation in mouse embryo C3H/10T1/2/C18 fibroblast. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 2085-2087.
- Zhou Y, Hileman EO, Plunkett W, Keating MJ, Huang P (2003) Free radical stress in chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells and its role in cellular sensitivity to ROS-generating anticancer agents. Blood 101: 4098-4104.
Publication order reference