Femtosecond stimulated Raman spectroscopy of the dark S1 excited state of carotenoid in photosynthetic light harvesting complex
Languages of publication
Vibrational dynamics of the excited state in the light-harvesting complex (LH1) have been investigated by femtosecond stimulated Raman spectroscopy (FSRS). The native and reconstituted LH1 complexes have same dynamics. The ν1 (C=C stretching) vibrational mode of spirilloxanthin in LH1 shows ultrafast high-frequency shift in the S1 excited state with a time constant of 0.3 ps. It is assigned to the vibrational relaxation of the S1 state following the internal conversion from the photoexcited S2 state.
- Cong H, Niedzwiedzki DM, Gibson GN, LaFountain AM, Kelsh RM, Gardiner AT, Cogdell RJ, Frank HA (2008) Ultrafast time-resolved carotenoid to-bacteriochlorophyll energy transfer in LH2 complexes from photosynthetic bacteria. J Phys Chem B 112: 10689-10703.
- Evans MB, Cogdell RJ, Britton G (1988) Determination of the bacteriochlorophyll: carotenoid ratiosof theB890 antenna complex of Rhodospirillum rubrum and the B800-850 complex of Rhodobacter spheroids. Biochem Biophys Acta 935: 292-298.
- Frank HA, Cogdell RJ (1996) Carotenoids in photosynthesis. Photochem Photobioil 63: 257-264.
- Hashimoto H, Koyama Y (1989) Raman spectra of all-trans-β-carotene in the S1 and T1 states produced by direct photoexcitation. Chem Phys Lett 163: 251-256.
- Kosumi D, Yanagi K, Nishio T, Hashimoto H, Yoshizawa M (2005) Excitation energy dependence of excited states dynamics in all-trans-carotenes determined by femtosecond absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy. Chem Phys Lett 408: 89-95.
- Kosumi D, Abe K, Karasawa H, Fujiwara M, Cogdell RJ, Hashimoto H, Yoshizawa M (2010) Ultrafast relaxation kinetics of the dark S1 state in all-trans-β-carotene explored by one- and two-photon pump-probe spectroscopy. Chem Phys 373: 33-37.
- Kosumi D, Maruta S, Horibe T, Fujii R, Sugisaki M, Cogdell RJ, Hashimoto H (2011) Ultrafast energy-transfer pathway in a purple-bacterial photosynthetic core antenna, as revealed by femtosecond time-resolved spectroscopy. Angew Chem Int Ed 50: 1097-1100.
- Nakagawa K, Suzuki S, Fujii R, Gardiner AT, Cogdell RJ, Nango M, Hashimoto H (2008) Probing the effect of the binding site on the electrostatic behavior of a series of carotenoid reconstituted into the light-harvesting 1 complex from purple photosynthetic bacterium Rhodospirillum rubrum detected by Stark spectroscopy. J Phys Chem B 112: 9467-9475.
- Nakamura R, Nakagawa K, Nango M, Hashimoto H, Yoshizawa M (2011) Dark excited states of carotenoid regulated by bacteriochlorophyll in photosynthetic light harvesting. J Phys Chem B 115: 3233-3239.
- Noguchi T, Kolaczkowski S, Arbour C, Aramaki S, Atkinson GH, Hayashi H, Tasumi M (1989) Resonance Raman spectrum of the excited 2Ag state of β-carotene. Photochem Photobiol 50: 603-609.
- Polívka T, Sundström V (2004) Ultrafast dynamics of carotenoid excited states - from solution to natural and artificial systems. Chem Rev 104: 2021-2071.
- Saito S, Tasumi M (1983) Normal-coordinate analysis of ß-carotene isomers and assignments of the Raman and infrared bands. J Raman Spectrosc 14: 310-321.
- Shim S, Mathies RA (2008) Development of a tunable femtosecond stimulated raman apparatus and its application to β-carotene. J Phys Chem B 112: 4826-4832.
- Wehling A, Walla PJ (2005) Time-resolved two-photon spectroscopy of photosystem I determines hidden carotenoid dark-state dynamics. J Phys Chem B 109: 24510-24516.
- Yoshizawa M, Kurosawa M (2000) Femtosecond time-resolved Raman spectroscopy using stimulated Raman scattering. Phys Rev A 61: 013808/1-6.
- Yoshizawa M, Aoki H, Hashimoto H (2001) Vibrational relaxation of the 2Ag excited state in all-trans-β-carotene obtained by femtosecond time-resolved Raman spectroscopy. Phys Rev B 63: 180301/1-4.
Publication order reference