Genetic variation and phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (rhdv) strains
Languages of publication
Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) belongs to the family Caliciviridae and is the etiological agent of the haemorrhagic disease, also known as rabbit plague. Its genome is a linear single-stranded (ss) RNA of 7437 nucleotides and the capsid is built from a single structural protein VP60. In connection with the discovery of new RHDV strains, there is a constant need to investigate the genetic variation of this virus and perform phylogenetic analyses which may show the evolutionary relationships among the RHDV strains. Studies on the divergence of RHDV have shown that it is genetically quite stable, although recent observations indicate that some new RHDV strains, significantly different from the original RHDV subtype and the new RHDVa subtype, are appearing. These latest findings suggest that a new group of RHDV strains has evolved. The present review summarizes the current knowledge on the genetic variation and the latest achievements in phylogenetic analyses of RHDV strains isolated in various countries.
- Department of Immunology, Faculty of Biology, University of Szczecin, Szczecin, Poland
- Department of Immunology, Faculty of Biology, University of Szczecin, Szczecin, Poland
- Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Szczecin, Szczecin, Poland
- Abrantes J, Esteves PJ, van der Loo W (2008) Evidence for recombination in the major capsid gene VP60 of the rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV). Arch Virol 153: 329-335.
- Alda F, Gaitero T, Suarez M, Merchan T, Rocha G, Doadrio I (2010) Evolutionary history and molecular epidemiology of Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus in the Iberian Peninsula and Western Europe. BMC Evolutionary Biology 10: 347 (doi: 10.1186/1471-2148/10/347).
- Annon (2012) GenBank, National Center of Biotechnology Information, Pub Med (
- Asgari S, Hardy JR, Cooke BD (1999) Sequence analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) in Australia: alterations after its release. Arch Virol 144: 135-145.
- Boga JA, Casais R, Marin MS, Martin-Alonso JM, Carmenes RS, Prieto M, Parra F (1994) Molecular cloning, sequencing and expression in Escherichia coli of the capsid protein gene grom rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (Spanish isolate AST/89). J Gen Virol 75: 2409-2413.
- Capucci L, Fallacara F, Grazioli S, Lavazza A, Pacciarini ML, Brocchi E (1998) A further step in the evolution of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus: the appearance of the first consistent antigenic variant. Virus Res 58: 115-126.
- Chrobocińska M (2007) The phenotypic and genetic characteristic of national strains of European brown hare virus (EBHS) and rabbit haemotthagic disease virus (RHDV). Habilitation dissertation. National Veterinary Research Institute, Puławy, Poland (in Polish).
- Chrobocińska M, Mizak B (2007) Phylogenetic analysis of partial capsid protein gene of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) strains isolated between 1993 and 2005 in Poland. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 51: 189-197.
- Esteves PJ, Abrantes J, Carneiro M, Muller A, Thompson G, van der Loo W (2008) Detection of positive selection in the major capsid protein VP60 of the rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV). Virus Res 137: 253-356.
- Farnos O, Rodriguez D, Valdes O, Chiong M, Parra F, Toledo JR, Fernandez E, Lleonart R, Suarez M (2007) Molecular and antigenic characterization of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus isolated in Cuba indicates a distinct antigenic subtype. Arch Virol 152: 1215-1221.
- Fitzner A (2009) Characterization and immunogenetic properties of Polish strains of RHD virus. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 53: 575-582.
- Fitzner A, Kęsy A (2003) Variability of Polish isolates of the RHD virus. Medycyna Wet 59: 905-908 (in Polish).
- Fitzner A, Niedbalski W, Paprocka G, Kęsy A (2012) Identification of Polish RHDVa subtype strains based on the analysis of a highly variable part of VP60 gene. Pol J Vet Sci 15: 21-29.
- Forrester NL, Abubakr MI, Abu Elzein EM, Al-Afaleq AI, Housawi FM, Moss SR, Turner SL, Gould EA. (2006a) Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus from the Arabian Penisula: Did RHDV emerge simulataneously in Europe and Asia? Virology 344: 277-282.
- Forrester NL, Boag B, Moss SR, Turner SL, Trout RC, White PJ, Hudson PJ, Gould EA (2003) Long-term survival of New Zealand rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus RNA in wild rabbits, revealed by RT-PCR and phylogenetic analysis. J Gen Virol 84: 3079-3086.
- Forrester NL, Moss SR, Turner SL, Schirrmeier H, Gould EA (2008) Recombination in rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus: Possible impact on evolution and epidemiology. Virology 376: 390-396.
- Forrester NL, Trout R, Turner SL, Kelly D, Boag B, Moss S, Gould EA (2006b) Untravelling the paradox of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus emergence, using phylogenetic analysis; possible implications for rabbit conservation strategies. Biol Cons 131: 296-306.
- Gould AR, Kattenbelt JA, Lenghaus C, Morrissy C, Chamberlain T, Collins BJ, Westbury HA (1997) The complete nucleotide sequence of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (Czech starain V351): use of the polymerase chain reaction to detected replication in Australian Vertebrates and analysis of viral population sequence variation. Virus Res 47: 7-17.
- Hukowska-Szematowicz B (2006) Immunological-genetic characteristics of chosen strains of RHD (rabbit haemorrhagic disease) virus. PhD Thesis. University of Szczecin, Faculty of Natural Science (at the moment Faculty of Biology), Department of Microbiology and Immunology (at the moment Faculty of Immunology), Poland (in Polish).
- Hukowska-Szematowicz B, Deptuła W (2010) Phylogenetic analysis of French strains of the RHD virus on the basis of a fragment of gene encoding C-terminal part of structural capsie VP60 protein. Adv Agric Science 12: 159-168.
- Hukowska-Szematowicz B, Pawlikowska M, Deptuła W (2009) Genetic variability of Czech and German RHD virus strains. Pol J Microbiol 58: 237-245.
- Hurst LD (2009) Fundamental concepts in genetics: genetics and the understanding of selection. Nature Rev Genet 10: 83-93.
- Kerr PJ, Kitchen A, Holmes EC (2009) Origin and phylodynamics of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. J Virol 83: 12129-12138.
- Kinnear M, Linde CC (2010) Capsid gene divergence in rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus. J Gen Virol 91: 174-181.
- Le Gall G, Arnauld C, Boilletot E, Morisse JP, Rasschaert D (1998) Molecular epidemiology of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus outbreaks in France during 1988 to 1995. J Gen Virol 79: 11-16.
- Le Gall-Recule G, Zwingelstein F, Boucher S, Le Normand B, Plassiart G, Portejoie Y, Decors A, Bertagnoli S, Guerin JL, Marchandeau S (2011) Detection of a new variant of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus in France. Vet Rec 168: 137-138.
- Le Gall-Recule G, Zwingelstein F, Laurent S, De Boissėson C, Portejoie Y, Rasschaert D (2003) Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus in France between 1993-2000, and characterization of RHDV antigenic variants. Arch Virol 148: 65-81.
- Liu SJ, Xue HP, Pu BQ, Quian NH (1984) A new viral disease in rabbits. Anim Husb Vet Med 16: 253-255.
- Marchandeau S, Le Gall-Reculé G, Bertagnoli S, Aubineau J, Botti G, Lavazza A (2005) Serological evidence for a non-protective RHDV-like virus. Vet Res 36: 53-62.
- Matiz K, Ursu K, Kecskemeti S, Bajmocy E, Kiss I (2006) Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) strains isolated between 1988 and 2003 in eastern Hungary. Arch Virol 151: 1659-1666.
- McIntosh M, Behan SC, Mohamed FM, Lu Z, Moran KE, Burrage TG, Neilan JG, Ward GB, Botti G., Capucci L, Metwally SA (2007) A pandemic strain of calcivirus threatens rabbit industries in the Americas. Virol J 4: 96 (doi:10.1186/1743-422X-4-96).
- Meyers G, Wirblich C, Thiel HJ (1991) Rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus--molecular cloning and nucleotide sequencing of a calicivirus genome. Virology 184: 664-676.
- Meyers G, Wirblich Ch, Thiel HJ (2000) Rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus: Genome organization and polyprotein processing of a calicivirus studied after transient expression of cDNA constructs. Virology 276: 349-363.
- Milton ID, Vlasak R, Nowotny N, Rodak L, Carter MJ (1992) Genomic 3' terminal sequence comparision of Tyree isolates of Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. FEMS Microbiol Lett 72: 37-42.
- Moss SR, Turner SL, Trout RC, White PJ, Hudson PJ, Desai A, Armesto M, Forrester NL, Gould E (2002) Molecular epidemiology of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. J Gen Virol 83: 2461-2467.
- Muller A, Freitas J, Silva E, Le Gall-Recule G, Zwingelstein F, Abrantes J, Esteves PJ, Alves PC, van der Loo W, Kolodziejek J, Nowotny N, Thompson G (2009) Evolution of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) in the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) from the Iberian Peninsula. Vet Microbiol 135: 368-373.
- Niedźwiedzka-Rystwej P, Pawlikowska M, Hukowska-Szematowicz B, Tokarz-Deptuła B, Deptuła W (2009) Immunological and genetic studies of RHD (rabbit haemorrhagic disease) virus strains. Centr Eur J Immunol 34: 61-67.
- Nowotny N, Bascunana CR, Ballagi-Pordany A, Gavier-Widen D, Uhlen M, Belak S (1997) Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit haemorrhagic disease and European brown hare syndrome viruses by comparison of sequences from the capsid protein gene. Arch Virol 142: 657-673.
- Oem JK, Lee KN, Roh IS, Lee KK, Kim HR, Park CK, Joo YS (2009) Identification and characterization of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus genetic variants isolated in Korea. J Vet Med Sci 71: 1519-1523.
- Pawlikowska M, Hukowska-Szematowicz B, Deptuła W (2009) Genetical characteristic of six strains of RHD (Rabbit haemorrhagic disease) virus orginating from Europe. Centr Eur J Immunol 34: 7-13.
- Pawlikowska M, Hukowska-Szematowicz B, Deptuła W (2010) Phylogenetic analysis of selected strains of Rabbit haemorrhgaic disease virus on the basis of N-terminal fragment of the gene encoding structural protein VP60. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 54: 129-133.
- Rasschaert D, Huguet S, Madelaine MF, Vautherot JF (1995) Sequence and genomic organization of a rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus isolated from a wild rabbit. Virus Genes 9: 121-132.
- Schirrmeier H, Reimann I, Köllner B, Granzow H (1999) Pathogenic, antigenic and molecular properties of rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) isolated from vaccinated rabbits: detection and characterization of antigenic variants. Arch Virol 144: 719-735.
- Strive T, Wright JD, Robinson AJ (2009) Identification and partial characterisation of a new Lagovirus in Australian wild rabbits. Virology 384: 97-105.
- Strive T, Wright J, Kovaliski J, Botti G, Capucci L (2010) The non-pathogenic Australian lagovirus RCV-1 causes a prolonged infection and elicits protection to rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus. Virology 398: 125-134.
- Tian L, Liao J, Li JW, Zhou WR, Zhang XL, Wang HN (2007) Isolation and identification of a non-haemagglutinating strain of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus from China and sequence analysis for the VP60 gene. Virus Genes 35: 745-752.
- van de Bildt MW, van Bolhuis GH, van Zijderveld F, van Riel D, Drees JM, Osterhaus AD, Kuiken T (2006) Confirmation and phylogenetic analysis of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus in free-living rabbits from the Netherlands. J Wildlife Disease 42: 808-812.
- Wang X, Hao H, Qiu L, Dang R, Du E, Zhang S, Yang Z (2012) Phylogenetic analysis of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus in China and the antigenic variation of new strains. Arch Virol 157: 1523-1530.
- Wirblich Ch, Thiel HJ, Meyers G (1996) Genetic map of the calicivirus rabbit haemorrhagic disease as deduced from in vitro translation studies. J Virol 70: 7974-7983.
- Yang L, Wang F, Hu B, Xue J, Hu Y, Zhou B, Wang D, Xu W (2008) Development of an RT-PCR for rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV) and the epidemiology of RHDV in three eastern provinces of China. J Virol Methods 151: 24-29.
Publication order reference