Purification and characterization of a novel laccase from the mushroom Pleurotus nebrodensis
Languages of publication
A novel laccase with a molecular mass of 64 kDa and the N-terminal sequence AIGPDDTINF was isolated from fresh fruiting bodies of the mushroom Pleurotus nebrodensis. The purification protocol comprised ion exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose, CM-cellulose, and Q-Sepharose, and gel filtration on Superdex 75. The laccase was adsorbed on DEAE-cellulose and Q-Sepharose, but not on CM-cellulose. It demonstrated an optimal temperature of 70°C. The enzyme activity increased steadily over the temperature range 20°C-70°C. There was only a slight reduction in activity at 80°C. However, all activity disappeared following exposure to 100°C for 10 minutes. The enzyme activity changed only slightly over the pH range 3-5, with the optimum at pH 5, but underwent a precipitous decline when the pH was elevated to 6, and was undetectable at pH 8 and pH 9.
- Institute of Biotechnology and Germplasmic Resource, Yunnan Academy of Agricultural Science, Kunming, China
- Key Laboratory of Urban Agriculture (North) of Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing University of Agriculture, Beijing, China
- State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology and Department of Microbiology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
- Baldrian P (2006) Fungal laccases - occurrence and properties. FEMS Microbiol Rev 30: 215-242.
- Bourbonnais R, Paice MG, Reid ID, Lanthier P, Yaguchi M (1995) Lignin oxidation by laccase isozymes from Trametes versicolor and role of the mediator 2,2'-azinobis(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulfonate) in kraft lignin depolymerization. Appl Environ Microbiol 61: 1876-1880.
- Cambria MT, Cambria A, Ragusa S, Rizzarelli E (2000) Production, purification, and properties of an extracellular laccase from Rigidoporus lignosus. Protein Expr Purif 18: 141-147.
- Coll PM, Fernandez-Abalos JM, Villanueva JR, Santamaria R, Perez P (1993) Purification and characterization of a phenoloxidase (laccase) from the lignin-degrading basidiomycete PM1 (CECT 2971). Appl Environ Microbiol 59: 2607-2613.
- Das N, Chakraborty TK, Mukherjee M (2000) Purification and characterization of laccase-1 from Pleurotus florida. Folia Microbiol Praha 45: 447-451.
- De Souza CGM, Peralta RM (2003) Purification and characterization of the main laccase produced by the white-rot fungus Pleurotus pulmonarius on wheat bran solid state medium. J Basic Microbiol 43: 278-286.
- Eggert C, Temp U, Eriksson KE (1996) The ligninolytic system of the white rot fungus Pycnoporus cinnabarinus: purification and characterization of the laccase. Appl Environ Microbiol 62: 1151-1158.
- Fukushima Y, Kirk TK (1995) Laccase component of the Ceriporiopsis subvermispora lignin-degrading system. Appl Environ Microbiol 61: 872-876.
- Galhaup C, Goller S, Peterbauer CK, Strauss J, Haltrich D (2002) Characterization of the major laccase isoenzyme from Trametes pubescens and regulation of its synthesis by metal ions. Microbiology 148: 2159-2169.
- Hu DD, Zhang RY, Zhang GQ, Wang HX, Ng TB (2011) A laccase with antiproliferative activity against tumor cells from an edible mushroom, white common Agrocybe cylindracea. Phytomedicine 18: 374-379.
- Kojima Y, Tsukuda Y, Kawai Y, Tsukamoto A, Sugiura J, Sakaino M, Kita Y (1990) Cloning, sequence analysis, and expression of ligninolytic phenoloxidase genes of the white-rot basidiomycete Coriolus hirsutus. J Biol Chem 265: 15224-15230.
- La Guardia M, Venturella G, Venturella F (2005) On the chemical composition and nutritional value of Pleurotus taxa growing on umbelliferous plants (Apiaceae) J Agric Food Chem 53: 5997-6002.
- Laemmli UK, Favre M (1973) Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events. J Mol Biol 80: 575-599.
- Lam SK, Ng TB (2001) Hypsin, a novel thermostable ribosome-inactivating protein with antifungal and antiproliferative activities from fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Hypsizigus marmoreus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285: 1071-1075.
- Li M, Wang H, Ng TB (2011) An antifungal peptide with antiproliferative activity toward tumor cells from red kidney beans. Protein Pept Lett 18: 594-600.
- Li M, Zhang G, Wang H, Ng T (2010) Purification and characterization of a laccase from the edible wild mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. J Microbiol Biotechnol 20: 1069-1076.
- Li YR, Liu QH, Wang HX, Ng TB (2008) A novel lectin with potent antitumor, mitogenic and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activities from the edible mushroom Pleurotus citrinopileatus. Biochim Biophys Acta 1780: 51-57.
- Lv H, Kong Y, Yao Q, Zhang B, Leng FW, Bian HJ, Balzarini J, Van Damme E, Bao JK (2009) Nebrodeolysin, a novel hemolytic protein from mushroom Pleurotus nebrodensis with apoptosis-inducing and anti-HIV-1 effects. Phytomedicine, 16: 198-205.
- Munoz C, Guillen F, Martinez AT, Martinez MJ (1997) Laccase isoenzymes of Pleurotus eryngii: characterization, catalytic properties, and participation in activation of molecular oxygen and Mn2+oxidation. Appl Environ Microbiol 63: 2166-2174.
- Ng TB (2004) Peptides and proteins from fungi. Peptides 25: 1055-1073.
- Ng TB, Wang HX (2004) A homodimeric laccase with unique characteristics from the yellow mushroom Cantharellus cibarius. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 313: 37-41.
- Palmieri G, Bianco C, Cennamo G, Giardina P, Marino G, Monti M, Sannia G (2001) Purification, characterization, and functional role of a novel extracellular protease from Pleurotus ostreatus. Appl Environ Microbiol 67: 2754-2759.
- Palmieri G, Giardina P, Marzullo L, Desiderio B, Nitti G, Cannio R, Sannia G (1993) Stability and activity of a phenol oxidase from the ligninolytic fungus Pleurotus ostreatus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 39: 632-636.
- Perry CR, Smith M, Britnell CH, Wood DA, Thurston CF (1993) Identification of two laccase genes in the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus. J Gen Microbiol 139: 1209-1218.
- Saloheimo M, Niku-Paavola ML, Knowles JK (1991) Isolation and structural analysis of the laccase gene from the lignin-degrading fungus Phlebia radiata. J Gen Microbiol 137: 1537-1544.
- She QB, Ng TB, Liu WK (1998) A novel lectin with potent immunomodulatory activity isolated from both fruiting bodies and cultured mycelia of the edible mushroom Volvariella volvacea. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 247: 106-111.
- Shin KS, Lee YJ (2000) Purification and characterization of a new member of the laccase family from the white-rot basidiomycete Coriolus hirsutus. Arch Biochem Biophys 384: 109-115.
- Urbanelli S, Della Rosa V, Punelli F, Porretta D, Reverberi M, Fabbri AA, Fanelli C (2007) DNA-fingerprinting (AFLP and RFLP) for genotypic identification in species of the Pleurotus eryngii complex. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74: 592-600.
- Wang HX, Liu WK, Ng TB, Ooi VE, Chang ST (1996) The immunomodulatory and antitumor activities of lectins from the mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Immunopharmacology 31: 205-211.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Ooi VE (1998) Lectin activity in fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Biochem Mol Biol Int 44: 135-141.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2000) Isolation of a novel ubiquitin-like protein from Pleurotus ostreatus mushroom with anti-human immunodeficiency virus, translation-inhibitory, and ribonuclease activities. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 276: 587-593.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2001) Studies on the anti-mitogenic, anti-phage and hypotensive effects of several ribosome inactivating proteins. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 128: 359-366.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2004a) A new laccase from dried fruiting bodies of the monkey head mushroom Hericium erinaceum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322: 17-21.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2004b) A novel laccase with fair thermostability from the edible wild mushroom (Albatrella dispansus). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 319: 381-385.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2004c) Purification of a novel low-molecular-mass laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom Tricholoma giganteum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315: 450-454.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Chiu SW (2004) A distinctive ribonuclease from fresh fruiting bodies of the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 314: 519-522.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2006a) A laccase from the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72: 508-513.
- Wang HX, Ng TB. (2006b) Purification of a laccase from fruiting bodies of the mushroom Pleurotus eryngii. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 69: 521-525.
- Widsten P, Kandelbauer A. (2008) Laccase applications in the forest products industry: A review. Enzyme Microb Technol 42: 293-307.
- Zhang GQ, Tian T, Liu YP, Wang HX, Chen QJ (2011) A laccase with anti-proliferative activity against tumor cells from a white root fungus Abortiporus biennis. Process Biochem 46: 2336-2340.
- Zhang JX, Huang CY, Ng TB, Wang HX (2006) Genetic polymorphism of ferula mushroom growing on Ferula sinkiangensis. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 71: 304-309.
- Zhao JK, Wang HX, Ng TB (2009) Purification and characterization of a novel lectin from the toxic wild mushroom Inocybe umbrinella. Toxicon 53: 360-366.
Publication order reference