Placental prostate-specific antigen content in preeclampsia
Languages of publication
Preeclampsia is a multisystem disorder that can manifest clinically with hypertension and proteinuria. Previous studies reported the presence of placental PSA in normal pregnancy but no study has been done in preeclampsia. The aim of this study was to investigate PSA content in preeclampsia. Preeclampsia was diagnosed according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists criteria. Placentas were obtained from 33 preeclamptic and 34 normotensive women. Placenta samples were homogenized and the supernatants were immediately analyzed. The tissue PSA content was measured by Immulite 2000 PSA assay. The data were analyzed with Student's t-test and Pearson correlation test. There was a significant difference in placental PSA content between preeclamptic and normotensive women. Placental content of PSA was higher in the preeclamptic group with intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) than in the preeclamptic and normotensive pregnant without IUGR groups. No significant difference was found in this respect between preeclamptic and normotensive women without IUGR. In conclusion, we found that placental PSA content is elevated in preeclampsia and negatively correlated with infant birth weight. Further studies will be necessary to define the roles of PSA more precisely and to examine its effects on the pathophysiology of preeclampsia.
- Alexander GR, Himes JH, Kaufman RB, Mor J, Kogan M (1996) A United States national reference for fetal growth. Obstet Gynecol 87: 163-168
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Criteria practice bulletin. Diagnosis and management of preeclampsia and eclampsia. (2002) Obstet Gynecol 99: 159-167.
- Athanassiadou P, Gonidi M, Liossi A, Nakopoulou L, Petrakakou E, Sakellariou V et al. (2002) Immunoreactivity of p53, PSA and bcl-2 in amniotic fluid smears from the second trimester of pregnancy. Acta Cytol 46: 440-442.
- Brosens JJ, Pijnenborg R, Brosens IA (2002) The myometrial junctional zone spiral arteries in normal and abnormal pregnancies: a review of the literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol 187: 1416-1423.
- Chang YF, Hung SH, Lee YJ, Chen RC, Su LC, Lai CS et al. (2011) Discrimination of breast cancer by measuring prostate-specific antigen levels in women's serum. Anal Chem 83: 5324-5328.
- Cohen P, Graves HC, Peehl DM, Kamarei M, Giudice LC, Rosenfeld RG (1992) Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is an insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 protease found in seminal plasma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75: 1046-1053.
- Dallas SL, Zhao S, Cramer SD, Chen Z, Peehl DM, Bonewald LF (2005) Preferential production of latent transforming growth factor beta-2 by primary prostatic epithelial cells and its activation by prostate-specific antigen. J Cell Physiol 202: 361-370.
- Han JH, Choi NY, Bang SH, Kwon OJ, Jin YW, Myung SC et al. (2008) Relationship between serum prostate-specific antigen levels and components of metabolic syndrome in healthy men. Urology 72: 749-754.
- Jeong IG, Hwang SS, Kim HK, Ahn H, Kim CS (2010) The association of metabolic syndrome and its components with serum prostate-specific antigen levels in a Korean-screened population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19: 371-380.
- Lundwall A, Band V, Blaber M, Clements JA, Courty Y, Diamandis EP et al. (2006) A comprehensive nomenclature for serine proteases with homology to tissue kallikreins. Biol Chem 387: 637-41.
- Malatesta M, Mannello F, Luchetti F, Marcheggiani F, Condemi L, Papa S et al. (2000) Prostate-specific antigen synthesis and secretion by human placenta: a physiological kallikrein source during pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 317-321.
- Mannello F, Malatesta M, Fusco E, Bianchi G, Cardinali A, Gazzanelli G (1998) Biochemical characterization and immunolocalization of prostate-specific antigen in human term placenta. Clin Chem 44: 1735-1738.
- Mardanian F, Heidari N (2011) Diagnostic value of prostate-specific antigen in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Res Med Sci 16: 999-1005.
- Sarandakou A, Protonotariou E, Rizos D (2007) Tumor markers in biological fluids associated with pregnancy. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci 44: 151-178.
- Sibai B, Dekker G, Kupferminc M (2005) Pre-eclampsia. Lancet 365: 785-799
- Werny DM, Saraiya M, Gregg EW (2006) Prostate-specific antigen values in diabetic and nondiabetic US men, 2001-2002. Am J Epidemiol 164: 978-983.
Publication order reference