Myocardial remodeling in rats with metabolic syndrome: role of Rho-kinase mediated insulin resistance
Languages of publication
Insulin resistance (IR) plays a critical role in metabolic syndrome (MS). Previous studies have demonstrated that activated ROCK is increased in MS patients. However, the effect of Rho-kinase (ROCK) on IR has not been definitely determined. Thus, the aims of the present study were to determine whether ROCK activation induces IR or affects myocardial structure and function, as well as the possible mechanisms underlying this process. Wistar rats fed high fat, high glucose and high salt diet sewed as model of MS and we used transmission electron microscopy, echocardiogram technology, and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated DNA nick-end labeling staining to identify any myocardial damage. The protein levels of MYPT-1 (characteristic of ROCK activation), IRS-1 and AKT were analyzed by immunohistochemistry and Western blotting. In hearts from MS rats, we found increased protein levels of phospho-MYPT-1 and phospho-IRS-1 (Ser307) and decreased phospho-AKT compared to levels in normal rats. In conclusion, the results suggest that ROCK-mediated IR is involved in the development of myocardial impairments in MS rats and that this effect is mediated probably via the IRS-1/PI3-kinase/AKT pathway.
- Amaravadi R, Thompson CB (2005) The survival kinases AKT and Pim as potential pharmacological targets. J Clin Invest 115: 2618-2624.
- Asano T, Fujishiro M, Kushiyama A, Nakatsu Y, Yoneda M, Kamata H, Sakoda H (2007) Role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activation on insulin action and its alteration in diabetic conditions. Biol Pharm Bull 30: 1610-1616.
- Begum N, Sandu OA, Ito M, Lohmann SM, Smolenski A (2002) Active Rho kinase (ROK-alpha) associates with insulin receptor substrate-1 and inhibits insulin signaling in vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem 277: 6214-6222.
- Bivalacqua TJ, Champion HC, Usta MF, Cellek S, Chitaley K, Webb RC, Lewis RL, Mills TM, Hellstrom WJ, Kadowitz PJ (2004) RhoA/Rho-kinase suppresses endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the penis: a mechanism for diabetes-associated erectile dysfunction.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 9121-9126.
- Boden G (2006) Fatty acid-induced inflammation and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle and liver. Curr Diab Rep 6: 177-181.
- Bonora E (2006) The metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Ann Med 38: 64-80.
- Chitaley K, Weber D, Webb RC (2001) RhoA/Rho-kinase, vascular changes, and hypertension. Curr Hypertens Rep 3: 139-144.
- Fan JG, Peng YD (2007) Metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: Asian definitions and Asian studies. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 6: 572-578.
- Ferre P (2007) Insulin signaling and insulin resistance. Therapie 62: 277-284.
- Fonseca VA (2003) Management of diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance in patients with cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol 92: 50J-60J.
- Furukawa N, Ongusaha P, Jahng WJ, Araki K, Choi CS, Kim HJ, Lee YH, Kaibuchi K, Kahn BB, Masuzaki H, et al. (2005) Role of Rho-kinase in regulation of insulin action and glucose homeostasis. Cell Metab 2: 119-129.
- Hadzimichalis NM, Baliga SS, Golfetti R, Jaques KM, Firestein BL, Merrill GF (2007) Acetaminophen-mediated cardioprotection via inhibition of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore-induced apoptotic pathway. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293: H3348-3355.
- Hausenloy DJ, Yellon DM (2004) New directions for protecting the heart against ischaemia-reperfusion injury: targeting the Reperfusion Injury Salvage Kinase (RISK)-pathway. Cardiovasc Res 61: 448-460.
- Jennings RB, Reimer KA (1991) The cell biology of acute myocardial ischemia. Annu Rev Med 42: 225-246.
- Lee DH, Shi J, Jeoung NH, Kim MS, Zabolotny JM, Lee SW, White MF, Wei L, Kim YB (2009) Targeted disruption of ROCK1 causes insulin resistance in vivo. J Biol Chem 284: 11776-11780.
- Lin G, Craig GP, Zhang L, Yuen VG, Allard M, McNeill JH, MacLeod KM (2007) Acute inhibition of Rho-kinase improves cardiac contractile function in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Cardiovasc Res 75: 51-58.
- Liu PY, Chen JH, Lin LJ, Liao JK (2007) Increased Rho kinase activity in a Taiwanese population with metabolic syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 49: 1619-1624.
- Loirand G, Guerin P, Pacaud P (2006) Rho kinases in cardiovascular physiology and pathophysiology. Circ Res 98: 322-334.
- Mocanu MM, Yellon DM (2007) PTEN, the Achilles' heel of myocardial ischaemia/reperfusion injury? Br J Pharmacol 150: 833-838.
- Mukai Y, Shimokawa H, Matoba T, Kandabashi T, Satoh S, Hiroki J, Kaibuchi K, Takeshita A (2001) Involvement of Rho-kinase in hypertensive vascular disease: a novel therapeutic target in hypertension. FASEB J 15: 1062-1064.
- Mustafa S, Vasudevan H, Yuen VG, McNeill JH (2010) Renal expression of arachidonic acid metabolizing enzymes and RhoA/Rho kinases in fructose insulin resistant hypertensive rats. Mol Cell Biochem 333: 203-209.
- Naik JS, Xiang L, Hester RL (2006) Enhanced role for RhoA-associated kinase in adrenergic-mediated vasoconstriction in gracilis arteries from obese Zucker rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290: R154-R161.
- Noma K, Oyama N, Liao JK (2006) Physiological role of ROCKs in the cardiovascular system. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 290: C661-C668.
- Norenberg MD, Rao KV (2007) The mitochondrial permeability transition in neurologic disease. Neurochem Int 50: 983-997.
- Rasouli N, Molavi B, Elbein SC, Kern PA (2007) Ectopic fat accumulation and metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Obes Metab 9: 1-10.
- Sesti G (2006) Pathophysiology of insulin resistance. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 20: 665-679.
- Shi J, Wei L (2007) Rho kinase in the regulation of cell death and survival. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 55: 61-75.
- Sordella R, Classon M, Hu KQ, Matheson SF, Brouns MR, Fine B, Zhang L, Takami H, Yamada Y, Settleman J (2002) Modulation of CREB activity by the Rho GTPase regulates cell and organism size during mouse embryonic development. Dev Cell 2: 553-565.
- Tsang A, Hausenloy DJ, Mocanu MM, Carr RD, Yellon DM (2005) Preconditioning the diabetic heart: the importance of AKT phosphorylation. Diabetes 54: 2360-2364.
- Tsujimoto Y, Shimizu S (2007) Role of the mitochondrial membrane permeability transition in cell death. Apoptosis 12: 835-840.
- Uehata M, Ishizaki T, Satoh H, Ono T, Kawahara T, Morishita T, Tamakawa H, Yamagami K, Inui J, Maekawa M, et al. (1997) Calcium sensitization of smooth muscle mediated by a Rho-associated protein kinase in hypertension. Nature 389: 990-994.
- Vial G, Dubouchaud H, Leverve XM (2010) Liver mitochondria and insulin resistance. Acta Biochim Pol 57: 389-392.
- Wingard C, Fulton D, Husain S (2007) Altered penile vascular reactivity and erection in the Zucker obese-diabetic rat. J Sex Med 4: 348-362.
- Xie Z, Su W, Guo Z, Pang H, Post SR, Gong MC (2006) Up-regulation of CPI-17 phosphorylation in diabetic vasculature and high glucose cultured vascular smooth muscle cells. Cardiovasc Res 69: 491-501.
Publication order reference