Association between intestinal and antioxidant barriers in children with cancer
Languages of publication
Objective: Reactive oxygen species (ROS) play a role in cancerogenesis processing and damage tissues. Furthermore, oncological treatment may impair proper function of the gut barrier. The aim of this study was to measure intestinal permeability in children in clinical remission for solid tumours and to search for a possible relationship between free radicals and the intestinal barrier. No such investigation in children has been reported so far. Research Methods and Procedures: The prospective study consisted of 19 paediatric patients with cancer after completion of chemotherapy. 32 healthy children from the outpatients clinics were recruited for measurement of intestinal permeability and antioxidant barrier as a control group. Intestinal permeability was assessed by measurement of urinary lactulose and mannitol after oral challenge. Antioxidant enzymes: superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) in erythrocytes were assessed. Ischemia modified albumin (IMA) concentration was measured in serum. Results: Cancer patients excreted less mannitol and more lactulose versus controls. The ratio of lactulose to mannitol was significantly higher in oncological children vs control (mean 0.188 and 0.0453, respectively, p=0.0006,). Significantly higher IMA level in the oncological group vs control was noted (mean 123.8 and 87.3 U/ml, respectively, p=0.0037). No correlation between intestinal permeability and oxidative stress barrier was found. Conclusions: Our data shows that intestinal barrier is damaged in paediatric cancer patients after chemotherapy. IMA is believed to play a protective role in the defence against tissue damage. No correlation was found between these two barriers.
- Apple FS, Wu AH, Mair J, Ravkilde J, Panteghini M, Tate J et al, Committee on standarization of markers of cardiac damage of the IFCC (2005) Future biomarkers for detection of ischemia and risk stratification in acute coronary syndrome. Clin Chem 51: 810-824.
- Argilés JM (2005) Cancer-associated malnutrition. Eur J Oncol Nurs 9: S39-S50.
- Arivazhagan S, Kavitha K, Nagini S (1997) Erythrocyte lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in gastric cancer patients. Cell Biochem Funct 15: 15-18.
- Badjatia N, Satyam A, Singh P, Seth A, Sharma A (2010) Altered antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in indian patients with urothelial bladder carcinoma. Urol Oncol 28: 360-367.
- Bar-Or D, Curtis G, Rao N, Bampos N, Lau E (2001) Characterization of the Co(2+) and Ni(2+) binding amino-acid residues of the N-terminus of human albumin. An insight into the mechanism of a new assay for myocardial ischemia. Eur J Biochem 268: 42-47.
- Benjamin J, Makharia GK, Ahuja V, Kalaivani M, Joshi YK (2008) Intestinal permeability and its association with the patient and disease characteristics in Crohn's disease. World J Gastroenterol 14: 1399-1405.
- Bhagavan NV, Lai EM, Rios PA, Yang J, Ortega-Lopez AM, Shinoda H, et al (2003) Evaluation of human serum albumin cobalt binding assay for the assessment of myocardial ischaemia and myocardial infarction. Clin Chem 49: 581-585.
- Brown SJ, Mayer L (2007) The immune response in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol 102: 2058-2069.
- Cichota LC, Moresco RN, Duarte MMMF, Paz da Silva JE (2008) Evaluation of ischemia-modified-albumin in anemia associated to chronic kidney disease. J Clin Lab Anal 22: 1-5.
- Cronin CG, O'Connor M, Lohan DG, Kaene M, Roche C, Bruzzi JF et al. (2009) Imaging of the gastrointestinal complications of systemic chemotherapy. Clin Radiol 64: 724-733.
- Deitch EA (1992) Multiple organ failure. Pathophysiology and potential future therapy. Ann Surg 216: 117-134.
- Devi GS, Prasad MH, Saraswathi I, Raghu D, Rao DN, Reddy PP (2000) Free radicals antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in different types of leukemias. Clin Chim Acta 293: 53-62.
- Dursun H, Bilici M, Uyanik A, Okcu N, Akyuz M (2006) Antioxidant enzyme activities and lipid peroxidation levels in erythrocytes of patients with oesophageal and gastric cancer. J Int Med Res 34: 193-199.
- Elting LS, Cooksley C, Chambers M, Cantor SB, Manzullo E, Rubenstein EB (2003) The burdens of cancer therapy. Clinical and economic outcomes of chemotherapy-induced mucositis. Cancer 98: 1531-1539.
- Gadjeva V, Dimov A, Georgieva N (2008) Influence of therapy on the anioxidant status in patients with melanoma. J Clin Pharm Ther 33: 179-185.
- Gao F, Ueda S, Horie T (2001) Effect of synthetic analog of prostaglandin E1 on the intestinal mucosa of methotrexate-treated rats. Anticancer Res 21: 1913-1917.
- Gaze DC, Crompton L, Collinson P (2006) Ischemia-modified albumin concentrations should be interpreted with caution in patients with low serum albumin concentrations. Med Princ Pract 15: 322-324.
- Hamer HM, Jonkers DMAE, Bast A, Vanhoutivin SALW, Fischer MAJG, Kodde A et al. (2009) Butyrate modulates oxidative stress in the colonic mucosa of healthy humans. Clin Nutr 28: 88-93.
- Huang P, Feng L, Oldham EA, Keating MJ, Plunkett W (2000) Superoxide dismutase as a target for the selective killing of the cancer cells. Nature 407: 390-395.
- Kato M, Minakami H, Kuroiwa M, Kobayashi Y, Oshima S, Kozawa K et al. (2003) Superoxide radical generation and Mn- and Cu-Zn superoxide dismutases activities in human leukemic cells. Hematol Oncol 21: 11-16.
- Katz KD, Hollander D, Vadheim CM, McElree C, Delahunty T, Dadufalza VD et al. (1989) Intestinal permeability in patients with Crohn's disease and their healthy relatives. Gastroenterology 97: 927-931.
- Lee YW, Kim HJ, Cho YH, Shin HB, Choi TY, Lee YK (2007) Application of albumin-adjusted ischemia modified albumin index as an early screening marker for acute coronary syndrome. Clin Chim Acta 384: 24-27.
- Lippi G, Montagnana M, Salvagno GL, Guidi GC (2007) Standardization of ischemia-modified albumin testing: Adjustment for serum albumin. Clin Chem Lab Med 45: 261-262.
- Lunn PG, Northrop CA, Northrop AJ (1989) Automated enzymatic assays for the determination of intestinal permeability probes in urine. 2. Mannitol . Clin Chim Acta 183: 163-170.
- Maeda T, Miyazono Y, Ito K, Hamada K, Sekine S, Horie T (2010) Oxidative stress and enhanced paracellular permeability in the small intestine of methotrexate-treated rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 65: 1117-1123.
- Mantovani A, Allavena P, Sica A, Balkwill F (2008) Cancer-related inflammation. Nature 454: 436-444.
- Mastella AK, Moresco RN, Bisognin da Silva D, Becker AM, Duarte MM, Giovelli LL, et al (2009) Evaluation of ischemia-modified albumin in myocardial infarction and prostatic diseases. Biomed Pharmacother 63: 762-766.
- Meguild MM, Debonis D, Meguld V (1988) Complications of abdominal operations for malignant disease. Am J Surg 156: 341-345.
- Melichar B, Dvorak J, Hyšpler R, Zadak Z (2005) Intestinal permeability in the assessment of intestinal toxicity of cytotoxic agents. Chemotherapy 51: 336-338.
- Melichar B, Hyšpler R, Dragounova E, Dvorak J, Kalabova H, Ticha A (2007) Gastrointestinal permeability in ovarian cancer and breast cancer patients treated with paclitaxel and platinum. BMC Cancer 7: 155.
- Michiels C, Raes M, Toussaint O, Remacle J (1994) Importance of Se-glutathione peroxidase, catalase, and Cu/Zn-SOD for cell survival against oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med 17: 235-248.
- Miyazono Y, Gao F, Horie T (2004) Oxidative stress contributes to methotrexate-induced small intestinal toxicity in rats. Scand J Gastroenterol 39: 1119-1127.
- Monteleone P, Carratu R, Carteni M, Generoso M, Lamberti M, De Magistris L et al. (2004) Intestinal permeability is decreased in anorexia nervosa. Mol Psychiatry 9: 76-80.
- Musch MW, Walsh-Reitz MM, Chang EB (2006) Roles of ZO-1, occludin, andactin in oxidant-induced barrier disruption. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290: G222-G231.
- Northrop CA, Lunn PG, Behrens RH (1990) Automated enzymatic assays for the determination of intestinal permeability probes in urine. 1. Lactulose and lactose. Clin Chim Acta 187: 79-88.
- Pearson AD, Craft AW, Pledger JV, Eastham EJ, Laker MF, Pearson GL (1984) Small bowel function in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Arch Dis Child 59: 460-465.
- Pearson AD, Eastham EJ, Laker MF, Craft AW, Nelson R (1982) Intestinal permeability in children with Crohn's disease and coeliac disease. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 285: 20-21.
- Pledger JV, Pearson AD, Craft AW, Laker MF, Eastham EJ (1988) Intestinal permeability during chemotherapy for childhood tumours. Eur J Pediatr 147: 123-127.
- Polk JD, Rael LT, Craun ML, Mains CW, Davis-Merritt D, Bar-Or D (2008) Clinical utility of the cobalt-albumin binding assay in the diagnosis of intestinal ischemia. J Trauma 64: 42-45.
- Roy D, Quiles J, Gaze DC, Collinson E, Kaski JC, Baxter GF (2006) Role of reactive oxygen species on the formation of the novel diagnostic marker ischemia modified albumin. Heart 92: 113-114.
- Roy D, Quiles J, Gaze DC, Collinson P, Kaski JC, Baxter GF (2006) Role of reactive oxygen species on the formation of the novel diagnostic marker ischemia modified albumin. Heart 92: 113-114.
- Sethi G, Sung B, Aggarwal BB (2008) Nuclear factor-kappaB activation, from bench to bedside. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 233: 21-31.
- Sharma A, Ryaiiapa M, Saxena A, Sharma M (2007) Antioxidant status in advanced cervical cancer patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemoradiation. Br J Biomed Sci 64: 23-27.
- Sheth P, Basuroy S, Li C, Naren AP, Rao RK (2003) Role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in oxidative stress-induced disruption of tight junctions. J Biol Chem 278: 49239-49245.
- Sonis ST (2004) The pathobiology of mucositis. Nat Rev Cancer 4: 277-284.
- Sonis ST, Elting LS, Keefe D, Peterson DE, Schubert M, Hauer-Jensen M et al. (2004) Perspectives on cancer therapy-induced mucosal injury, pathogenesis measurement, epidemiology, and consequences for patient. Cancer 100: 1995-2025.
- Stachowicz-Stencel T, Synakiewicz A, Owczarzak A, Aleksandrowicz-Wrona E, Sliwinska A, Lysiak-Szydlowska W, Balcerska A (2011) The antioxidant status and response to therapy in children with soft tissue sarcomas and neuroblastoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer 57: 561-568.
- Stachowicz-Stencel T, Synakiewicz A, Owczarzak A, Sliwińska A, Aleksandrowicz-Wrona E, Lysiak-Szydowska W et al. (2011) Ischemia-modified albumin as a biochemical marker in children with neuroblastoma and soft tissue sarcomas. J Clin Lab Anal 25: 255-258.
- Stocker R, Keaney Jr JF (2004) Role of oxidative modifications in atherosclerosis. Physiol Rev 84: 1381-1478.
- Trier JS (1968) Morphology of the epithelium of the small intestine. In: Handbook of Physiology, vol 3, section 6. Washington, DC, American Physiological Society.
- Van Huyen JP, Bloch F, Attar A, Levoir D, Kreft C, Molina T et al. (1998) Diffuse mucosal damage in the large intestine associated with Irinotecan (CPT-11) Dig Dis Sci 43: 2649-2651.
- Vilela EG, Torres HO, Ferrari ML, Lima AS, Cunha AS (2008) Gut permeability to lactulose and mannitol differs in treated Crohn's disease and celiac disease patients and healthy subjects. Braz J Med Biol Res 41: 1105-1109.
- Vliet MJ, Tissing WJ, Rings EH, Stellaard F, Kamps WA et al. (2009) Citrulline as a marker for chemotherapy induced mucosal barrier injury in pediatric patients. Pediatr Blood Cancer 53: 1188-1194.
- Zhang Y, Lee B, Thompson M, Glass R, Cama R I, Figueroa D et al. (2000) Lactulose-mannitol intestinal permeability test in children with diarrhea caused by rotavirus and cryptosporidium. Diarrhea working group, Peru. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 31: 16-21.
Publication order reference