α-Carotene and its derivatives have a sole chirality in phototrophic organisms?
Languages of publication
Carotenoids in eukaryotic phototrophic organisms can be classified into two groups; β-carotene and its derivatives, and α-carotene and its derivatives. We re-examined distribution of α-carotene and its derivatives among various taxa of aquatic algae (17 classes) and land plants. α-carotene and its derivatives were found from Rhodophyceae (macrophytic type), Cryptophyceae, Euglenophyceae, Chlorarachniophyceae, Prasinophyceae, Chlorophyceae, Ulvophyceae, Charophyceae, and land plants, while they could not be detected from Glaucophyceae, Rhodophyceae (unicellular type), Chryosophyceae, Raphidophyceae, Bacillariophyceae, Phaeophyceae, Xanthophyceae, Eustigmatophyceae, Haptophyceae, and Dinophyceae. We also analyzed the chirality of α-carotene and/or its derivatives, such as lutein and siphonaxanthin, and found all of them had only (6'R)-type, not (6'S)-type.
- Department of Biology, Nippon Medical School, Kosugi-cho 2, Nakahara, Kawasaki, Japan
- Kobe University of Research Center of Inland Seas, Awaji, Japan
- Department of Natural Science, Komazawa University, Komazawa, Setagaya, Japan
- Graduate School of Life and Environment Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Japan
- Bjørnland T, Liaaen-Jensen S (1989) Distribution patterns of carotenoids in relation to chromophyte phylogeny and systematics. In The Chromophyte algae: Problems and Perspectives. Green JG, Leadbeater BSC, Diver WL, eds, pp 37-60. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Britton G, Liaaen-Jensen S, Pfander H (2004) Carotenoids Handbook. Birkhäuse, Basel.
- Buchecker R, Noack K (1995) Circular dichroism. In Carotenoids 1B: Spectroscopy. Britton G, Liaaen-Jensen S, Pfander H, eds, pp 63-116. Birkhäuse, Basel.
- Cunningham Jr FX, Pogson B, Sun Z, McDonald KA, DellaPenna D, Gantt E (1996) Functional analysis of the β and ε lycopene cyclase enzymes of Arabidopsis reveals a mechanism for control of cyclic carotenoid formation. Plant Cell 8: 1613-1626.
- Iwai M, Maoka T, Ikeuchi M, Takaichi S (2008) 2,2'-β-Hydroxylase (CrtG) is involved in carotenoigenesis of both nostoxanthin and 2-hydroxymyxol 2'-fucoside in Thermosynechococcus elongatus strain BP-1. Plant Cell Physiol 49: 1678-1687.
- Kusaba M, Maoka T, Morita R, Takaichi S (2009) A novel carotenoid derivative, lutein 3-acetate, accululates in senescent leaves of rice. Plant Cell Physiol 50: 1573-1577.
- Rowan KS (1989) Photosynthetic Pigments of Algae. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- Takaichi S (2000) Characterization of carotenes in a combination of a C18 HPLC column with isocratic elution and absorption spectra with a photodiode-array detector. Photosynth Res 65: 93-99.
- Takaichi S (2011) Carotenoids in algae: distributions, biosynthesis and functions. Mar Drugs 9: 1101-1118.
- Takaichi S, Mimuro M (1998) Distribution and geometric isomerism of neoxanthin in oxygenic phototrophs: 9'-cis, a sole molecular form. Plant Cell Physiol 39: 968-977.
- Takaichi S, Shimada K (1992) Characterization of carotenoids in photosynthetic bacteria. Methods Enzymol 213: 374-385.
- Yoshii Y, Takaichi S, Maoka T, Hanada S, Inouye I (2002) Characterization of two unique carotenoid fatty acid esters from Pterosperma cristatum (Pracinophyceae, Chlorophyta). J Phycol 38: 297-303.
Publication order reference