A novel alkaline protease with antiproliferative activity from fresh fruiting bodies of the toxic wild mushroom Amanita farinosa
Languages of publication
A novel protease with a molecular mass of 15 kDa was purified from fresh fruiting bodies of the wild mushroom Amanita farinosa. The purification protocol entailed anion exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose, affinity chromatography on Affi-gel blue gel, cation exchange chromatography on SP-Sepharose, and gel filtration by fast protein liquid chromatography on Superdex 75. The protease was unadsorbed on DEAE-cellulose but adsorbed on Affi-gel blue gel and SP-Sepharose. It demonstrated a single 15-kDa band in sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS/PAGE) and a 15-kDa peak in gel filtration. The optimal pH and optimal temperature of the protease were pH 8.0 and 65 °C, respectively. Proliferation of human hepatoma HepG2 cells was inhibited by the protease with an IC50 of 25 µM. The protease did not have antifungal or ribonuclease activity.
- Banerji A, Fernandes A, Bane S (1998) Treatment with field bean protease inhibitor can effectively repress ethylnitrosourea (ENU)-induced neoplasms of the nervous system in Sprague-Dawley rats. Cancer Lett 130: 161-167.
- Boddy LM, Berges T, Barreau C, Vainstein MH, Dobson MJ, Ballance DJ, Peberdy JF (1993) Purification and characterisation of an Aspergillus niger invertase and its DNA sequence. Curr Genet 24: 60-66.
- Chang ST, Mao XL (1995) Hong Kong Mushrooms. Chinese University of Hong Kong Press. Hong Kong.
- Doljak B, Stegnar M, Urleb U, Kreft S, Umek A, Ciglaric M, Strukelj B, Popovic T (2001) Screening for selective thrombin inhibitors in mushrooms. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 12: 123-128.
- Guo Y, Wang H, Ng TB (2005) Isolation of trichogin, an antifungal protein from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Tricholoma giganteum. Peptides 26: 575-580.
- Kim JH, Kim YS (1999) A fibrinolytic metalloprotease from the fruiting bodies of an edible mushroom, Armillariella mellea. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 63: 2130-2136.
- Kim JH, Kim YS (2001) Characterization of a metalloenzyme from a wild mushroom, Tricholoma saponaceum. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 65: 356-362.
- Kim JS, Sapkota K, Park SE, Choi BS, Kim S, Nguyen TH, Kim CS, Choi HS, Kim MK, Chun HS, Park Y, Kim SJ (2006) A fibrinolytic enzyme from the medicinal mushroom Cordyceps militaris. J Microbiol 44: 622-631.
- Kutasi J, Bata A, Brydl E, Rafai P, Jurkovich V (2001) Characterisation and effects of a xylanase enzyme preparation extracted from Thermomyces lanuginosus cultures. Acta Vet Hung 49: 175-184.
- Lacadena J, Martinez del Pozo A, Gasset M, Patino B, Campos-Olivas R, Vazquez C, Martinez-Ruiz A, Mancheno JM, Onaderra M, Gavilanes JG (1995) Characterization of the antifungal protein secreted by the mould Aspergillus giganteus. Arch Biochem Biophys 324: 273-281.
- Laemmli UK (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680-685.
- Lam SK, Ng TB (2001a) First simultaneous isolation of a ribosome inactivating protein and an antifungal protein from a mushroom (Lyophyllum shimeji) together with evidence for synergism of their antifungal effects. Arch Biochem Biophys 393: 271-280.
- Lam SK, Ng TB (2001b) Hypsin, a novel thermostable ribosome-inactivating protein with antifungal and antiproliferative activities from fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Hypsizigus marmoreus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285: 1071-1075.
- Liu Q, Wang H, Ng TB (2004) Isolation and characterization of a novel lectin from the wild mushroom Xerocomus spadiceus. Peptides 25: 7-10.
- Ng TB, Wang H (2004a) Adustin, a small translation-inhibiting polypeptide from fruiting bodies of the wild mushroom Polyporus adusta. Peptides 25: 689-692.
- Ng TB, Wang HX (2004b) Flammin and velin: new ribosome inactivating polypeptides from the mushroom Flammulina velutipes. Peptides 25: 929-933.
- Ngai PH, Ng TB (2004) A mushroom (Ganoderma capense) lectin with spectacular thermostability, potent mitogenic activity on splenocytes, and antiproliferative activity toward tumor cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 314: 988-993.
- Nonaka T, Dohmae N, Hashimoto Y, Takio K (1997) Amino acid sequences of metalloendopeptidases specific for acyl-lysine bonds from Grifola frondosa and Pleurotus ostreatus fruiting bodies. J Biol Chem 272: 30032-30039.
- Nonaka T, Ishikawa H, Tsumuraya Y, Hashimoto Y, Dohmae N (1995) Characterization of a thermostable lysine-specific metalloendopeptidase from the fruiting bodies of a basidiomycete, Grifola frondosa. J Biochem 118: 1014-1020.
- Nygren CM, Edqvist J, Elfstrand M, Heller G, Taylor AF (2007) Detection of extracellular protease activity in different species and genera of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Mycorrhiza 17: 241-248.
- Park SE, Li MH, Kim JS, Sapkota K, Kim JE, Choi BS, Yoon YH, Lee JC, Lee HH, Kim CS, Kim SJ (2007) Purification and characterization of a fibrinolytic protease from a culture supernatant of Flammulina velutipes mycelia. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 71: 2214-2222.
- Puertollano MA, Carrera MP, Puertollano E, Alvarez de Cienfuegos G, Ramirez-Exposito MJ, De Pablo MA, Martinez-Martos JM (2008) Analysis of caspase activities in rat mammary tumours induced by N-methyl-nitrosourea. Oncol Rep 20: 657-662.
- Rao GS, Arora S, Kataria S (1998) A proteinase K inhibitor using alpha,beta-unsaturated (dehydro) residues: a presumptive model. J Biomol Struct Dyn 15: 1053-1058.
- Sattar AK, Yamamoto N, Yoshimoto T, Tsuru D (1990) Purification and characterization of an extracellular prolyl endopeptidase from Agaricus bisporus. J Biochem 107: 256-261.
- Seeger R (1977) Hemolysins in mushrooms of the genus Amanita. Curr Probl Clin Biochem 7: 15-21.
- Shen MH, Kim JS, Sapkota K, Park SE, Choi BS, Kim S, Lee HH, Kim CS, Chun HS, Ryoo CI, Kim SJ (2007) Purification, characterization, and cloning of fibrinolytic metalloprotease from Pleurotus ostreatus mycelia. J Microbiol Biotechnol 17: 1271-1283.
- Slomczynski D, Nakas JP, Tanenbaum SW (1995) Production and Characterization of Laccase from Botrytis cinerea 61-34. Appl Environ Microbiol 61: 907-912.
- Sun J, Wang H, Ng TB (2010) Trypsin isoinhibitors with antiproliferative activity toward leukemia cells from Phaseolus vulgaris cv 'White Cloud Bean'. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010: 219793.
- Sun J, Wang HX, Ng TB (2011) Isolation of a laccase with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from fresh fruiting bodies of the Lentinus edodes (Shiitake mushroom). Indian J Biochem Biophys 48: 88-94.
- Teunissen MJ, Op den Camp HJ (1993) Anaerobic fungi and their cellulolytic and xylanolytic enzymes. Antonie Leeuwenhoek 63: 63-76.
- Wang H, Gao J, Ng TB (2000) A new lectin with highly potent antihepatoma and antisarcoma activities from the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 275: 810-816.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2001a) Isolation and characterization of velutin, a novel low-molecular-weight ribosome-inactivating protein from winter mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) fruiting bodies. Life Sci 68: 2151-2158.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2001b) Pleureryn, a novel protease from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus eryngii. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289: 750-755.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2003a) Isolation of a ribonuclease from fruiting bodies of the wild mushroom Termitomyces globulus. Peptides 24: 973-977.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2003b) A ribonuclease with distinctive features from the wild green-headed mushroom Russulus virescens. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312: 965-968.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2004) Eryngin, a novel antifungal peptide from fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus eryngii. Peptides 25: 1-5.
- Wang H, Ng TB, Liu Q (2002) Isolation of a new heterodimeric lectin with mitogenic activity from fruiting bodies of the mushroom Agrocybe cylindracea. Life Sci 70: 877-885.
- Wang H, Ng TB, Liu Q (2003a) A novel lectin from the wild mushroom Polyporus adusta. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 307: 535-539.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2000a) Flammulin: a novel ribosome-inactivating protein from fruiting bodies of the winter mushroom Flammulina velutipes. Biochem Cell Biol 78: 699-702.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2000b) Isolation of a novel ubiquitin-like protein from Pleurotus ostreatus mushroom with anti-human immunodeficiency virus, translation-inhibitory, and ribonuclease activities. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 276: 587-593.
- Wang HX, Ng TB (2001c) Purification and characterization of a potent homodimeric guanine-specific ribonuclease from fresh mushroom (Pleurotus tuber-regium) sclerotia. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 33: 483-490.
- Wang HX, Ng TB, Liu WK, Ooi VE, Chang ST (1995) Isolation and characterization of two distinct lectins with antiproliferative activity from the cultured mycelium of the edible mushroom Tricholoma mongolicum. Int J Pept Protein Res 46: 508-513.
- Wang HX, Ngai HK, Ng TB (2003b) A ubiquitin-like peptide with ribonuclease activity against various polyhomoribonucleotides from the yellow mushroom Cantharellus cibarius. Peptides 24: 509-513.
- Wannet WJ, Op den Camp HJ, Wisselink HW, van der Drift C, Van Griensven LJ, Vogels GD (1998) Purification and characterization of trehalose phosphorylase from the commercial mushroom Agaricus bisporus. Biochim Biophys Acta 1425: 177-188.
- Zhuang C, Murata T, Usui T, Kawagishi H, Kobayashi K (1996) Purification and characterization of a lectin from the toxic mushroom Amanita pantherina. Biochim Biophys Acta 1291: 40-44.
Publication order reference