Direct interaction of Gas41 and Myc encoded by amplified genes in nervous system tumours
Languages of publication
In order to understand better the role of the human Tip60 complex component Gas41, we analysed its expression levels in brain tumours and searched for possible interactors. Two-hybrid screening of a human foetal brain library allowed identification of some molecular interactors of Gas41. Among them we found n-Myc transcription factor. The interaction between Gas41 and n-Myc was validated by pull-down experiments. We showed that Gas41 is able to bind both n-Myc and c-Myc proteins, and that the levels of expression of Gas41 and Myc proteins were similar to each other in such brain tumors as neuroblastomas and glioblastomas. Finally, in order to identify which region of Gas41 is involved in the interaction with Myc proteins, we analysed the ability of Gas41 to substitute for its orthologue Yaf9 in yeast; we showed that the N-terminal portions of the two proteins, containing the YEATS domains, are interchangeable, while the C-terminal portions are species-specific. In fact we found that Gas41 C-terminal portion is required for Myc protein interaction in human.
- Amente S, Lania L, Avvedimento EV, Majello B (2010) DNA oxidation drives Myc mediated transcription. Cell Cycle 9: 3002-3004.
- Bianchi MM, Costanzo G, Chelstowska A, Grabowska D, Mazzoni C, Piccinni E, Cavalli A, Ciceroni F, Rytka J, Slonimski PP, Frontali L, Negri R (2004) The bromodomain-containing protein Bdf1p acts as a phenotypic and transcriptional multicopy suppressor of YAF9 deletion in yeast. Mol Microbiol 53: 953-968.
- Bianchi MM, Ngo S, Vandenbol M, Sartori G, Morlupi A, Ricci C, Stefani S, Morlino G, Hilger F, Carignani G, Slonimski PP, Frontali L (2001) Large-scale phenotypic analysis reveals identical contributions to cell functions of known and unknown yeast genes. Yeast 18: 1397-1412.
- Bittner CB, Zeisig DT, Zeisig BB, Slany RK (2004) Direct physical and functional interaction of the NuA4 complex components Yaf9p and Swc4p. Eukaryot Cell 3: 976-983.
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-254.
- Casagrande V, Del Vescovo V, Militti C, Mangiapelo E, Frontali L, Negri R, Bianchi MM (2009) Cesium chloride sensing and signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: an interplay among the HOG and CWI MAPK pathways and the transcription factor Yaf9. FEMS Yeast Res 9: 400-410.
- Debernardi S, Bassini A, Jones LK, Chaplin T, Linder B, de Bruijn DR, Meese E, Young BD (2002) The MLL fusion partner AF10 binds GAS41, a protein that interacts with the human SWI/SNF complex. Blood 99: 275-281.
- Del Vescovo V, Casagrande V, Bianchi MM, Piccinni E, Frontali L, Militti C, Fardeau V, Devaux F, Di Sanza C, Presutti C, Negri R (2008) Role of Hog1 and Yaf9 in the transcriptional response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to cesium chloride. Physiol Genomics 33: 110-120.
- Doyon Y, Selleck W, Lane WS, Tan S, Cote J (2004) Structural and functional conservation of the NuA4 histone acetyltransferase complex from yeast to humans. Mol Cell Biol 24: 1884-1896.
- Doyon Y, Cote J (2004) The highly conserved and multifunctional NuA4 HAT complex. Curr Opin Genet Dev 14: 147-154.
- Fischer U, Heckel D, Michel A, Janka M, Hulsebos T, Meese E (1997) Cloning of a novel transcription factor-like gene amplified in human glioma including astrocytoma grade. Hum Mol Genet 6: 1817-1822.
- Fischer U, Meltzer P, Meese E (1996) Twelve amplified and expressed genes localized in a single domain in glioma. Hum Genet 98: 625-628.
- Frank SR, Parisi T, Taubert S, Fernandez P, Fuchs M, Chan HM, Livingston DM, Amati B (2003) MYC recruits the TIP60 histone acetyltransferase complex to chromatin. EMBO Rep 4: 575-579.
- Gangisetty O, Lauffart B, Sondarva GV, Chelsea DM, Still IH (2004) The transforming acidic coiled coil proteins interact with nuclear histone acetyltransferases. Oncogene 23: 2559-2563.
- Gusella JF, Ramesh V, MacCollin M, Jacoby LB (1999) Merlin: the neurofibromatosis 2 tumor suppressor. Biochim Biophys Acta 1423: M29-M36.
- Harborth J, Weber K, Osborn M (2000) Gas41, a highly conserved protein in eukaryotic nuclei, binds to NuMA. J Biol Chem 275: 31979-31985.
- Krogan NJ, Keogh MC, Datta N, Sawa C, Ryan OW, Ding H, Haw RA, Pootoolal J, Tong A, Canadien V, Richards DP, Wu X, Emili A, Hughes TR, Buratowski S, Greenblatt JF (2003) A Snf2 family ATPase complex required for recruitment of the histone H2A variant Htz. Mol Cell 12: 1565-1576.
- Le Masson I, Yu DY, Jensen K, Chevalier A, Courbeyrette R, Boulard Y, Smith MM, Mann C (2003) Yaf9, a novel NuA4 histone acetyltransferase subunit, is required for the cellular response to spindle stress in yeast. Mol Cell Biol 23: 6086-6102.
- Martinato F, Cesaroni M, Amati B, Guccione E (2008) Analysis of Myc-induced histone modifications on target chromatin. Plos One 3: e3650.
- McMahon SB, Wood MA, Cole MD (2000) The essential cofactor TRRAP recruits the histone acetyltransferase hGCN5 to c-Myc. Mol Cell Biol 20: 556-562.
- Metzger E, Schule R (2007) The expanding world of histone lysine demethylases. Nat Struct Mol Biol 14: 252-254.
- Mizuguchi G, Shen X, Landry J, Wu WH, Sen S, Wu C (2004) ATP-driven exchange of histone H2AZ variant catalyzed by SWR1 chromatin remodeling complex. Science 303: 343-348.
- Park JH, Roeder RG (2006) Gas41 is required for P53 tumor suppressor pathway during normal cell proliferation. Mol Cell Biol 26: 4006-4016.
- Patel JH, Du Y, Ard PG, Phillips C, Carella B, Chen CJ, Rakowski C, Chatterjee C, Lieberman PM, Lane WS, Blobel GA, McMahon SB (2004) The c-Myc Oncoprotein is a substrate of the acetyltransferases hGCN5/PCAF and Tip60. Mol Cell Biol 24: 10826-10834.
- Perillo B, Ombra MN, Bertoni A, Cuozzo C, Sacchetti S, Sasso A, Chiariotti L, Malorni A, Abbondanza C, Avvedimento EV (2008) DNA oxidation as triggered by H3K9me2 demethylation drives estrogen-induced gene expression. Science 319: 202-206.
- Perini G, Diolaiti D, Porro A, Della Valle G (2005) In vivo transcriptional regulation of n-Myc target genes is controlled by E-box methylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 12117-22.
- Schulze JM, Wang AY, Kobor MS (2009) YEATS domain proteins: a diverse family with many links to chromatin modification and transcription. Biochem Cell Biol 87: 65-75.
- Schwab M, Ellison J, Busch M, Rosenau W, Varmus HE, Bishop JM (1984) Enhanced expression of the human gene n-myc consequent to amplification of DNA may contribute to malignant progression of neuroblastoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 4940-4944.
- Zeisig DT, Bittner CB, Zeisig BB, Garcia-Cuellar MP, Hess JL, Slany RK (2005) The eleven-nineteen-leukemia protein ENL connects nuclear MLL fusion partners with chromatin. Oncogene 24: 5525-5532.
- Zhang H, Roberts DN, Cairns BR (2005) Genome-Wide dynamics of Htz1, a histone H2A variant that poises repressed/basal promoters for activation through histone loss. Cell 123: 219-231.
- Zimmermann K, Ahrens K, Matthes S, Buerstedde JM, Strätling WH, Phi-van L (2002) Targeted disruption of the GAS 41 gene encoding a putative transcription factor indicates that GAS41 is essential for cell viability. J Biol Chem 277: 18626-18631.
Publication order reference