Activity of selected aromatic amino acids in biological systems
Languages of publication
Besides the structural function in proteins, aromatic amino acids are precursors of many important biological compounds essential for normal functioning of the human organism. Many of these compounds may be used as markers for identification of specific pathological states. Comprehensive knowledge about the metabolism of aromatic amino acids and mechanisms of action of their metabolites made it possible to develop effective treatments for many disorders. However, it should not be forgotten that in some pathological conditions, these compounds could not only be involved in the pathogenesis of many disease entities but could also be used as an important tool in prediction of many diseases. This paper contains a review of published literature on aromatic amino acids in the context of physiological processes of the human body and chosen social disorders, such as cancers; psychiatric disorders: depression, anxiety states, schizophrenia, bipolar affective disorders; neurodegenerative, and cardiovascular diseases; chronic kidney insufficiency or diabetes.
- Banach M, Gurdziel E, Jędrych M, Borowicz KK (2011) Melatonin in experimental seizures and epilepsy. Pharmacol Rep 63: 1-11.
- Bonda DJ, Mailankot M, Stone JG, Garrett MR, Staniszewska M, Castellani RJ, Siedlak SL, Zhu X, Lee H, Nagaraj RH, Smith MA (2010) Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase and 3OH-kynurenine modifications are found in the neuropathology of Alzheimer disease. Redox Rep 15: 161-168.
- Brandacher G, Hoeller E, Fuchs D, Weiss HG (2007) Chronic immune activation underlies morbid obesity: Is IDO a key player? Current Drug Metabolism 8: 289-295.
- Buczko P, Cylwik D, Stokowska W (2005) Metabolism of tryptophan via kinurenin patchway in the saliva. Postępy Hig Med Dosw 59: 283-289 (in Polish).
- Buczko P, Stokowska W, Górska M, Kucharewicz I, Pawlak D, Buczko W (2006) Tryptophan Metabolites via kynurenine pathway in saliva of diabetic patients. Dent Med Probl 43: 21-25.
- Chung KT, Gadupudi GS (2011) Possible roles of excess tryptophan metabolites in cancer. Environ Mol Mutagen 52: 81-104.
- Fung MM, Viveros OH, O'Connor DT (2008) Diseases of the adrenal medulla. Acta Physiologica 192: 325-335.
- Garnier JP, Letellier S, Cassinat B, Lebbé C, Kerob D, Baccard M, Morel P, Basset-Seguin N, Dubertret L, Bousquet B, Stoitchkov K, Le Bricon T (2007) Clinical value of combined determination of plasma L-DOPA/tyrosine ratio, S100B, MIA and LDH in melanoma. Eur J Cancer 43: 816-21.
- Hadjiconstantinou M, Neff NH (2008) Enhancing aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase activity: implications for l-DOPA treatment in Parkinson's disease. CNS Neurosci Ther 14: 340-51.
- Källberg E, Wikström P, Bergh A, Ivars F, Leanderson T (2010) Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase (IDO) Activity influence tumor growth in the TRAMP prostate cancer model. The Prostate 70: 1461-1470.
- Koenig P, Nagl C, Neurauter G, Schennach H, Brandacher G, Fuchs D (2010) Enhanced degradation of tryptophan in patients on hemodialysis. Clin Nephrol 74: 465-70.
- Kopple JD (2007) Phenylalanine and tyrosine metabolism in chronic kidney failure. The J Nutr 137: 1586-1590.
- Maes M, Leonard BE, Myint AM, Kubera M, Verkerk R (2011) The new '5-HT' hypothesis of depression: Cell-mediated immune activaction induces indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenaze, which leads to lower plasma tryptophan and an increased synthesis of detrimental tryptophan catabolites (TRYCATs), both of which contribute to the onset of depression. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35: 702-21.
- Mendelsohn D, Riedel WJ, Sambeth A (2009) Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on memory, attention and executive functions: A systematic review. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 33: 926-952.
- Merens W, Booij L, Haffmans PJ, Does AJ (2008) The effects of experimentally lowered serotonin function on emotional information processing and memory in remitted depressed patients. J Psychopharmacol 22: 653-662.
- Nowak A, Libudzisz Z (2008) Carcinogenic activity of intestinal microorganisms. Nauka. Technologia. Jakość 6: 25-39 (in Polish).
- Oxenkrug GF (2010) Metabolic syndrome, age-associated neuroendocrine disorders, and dysregulation of tryptophan-kynurenine metabolism. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1199: 1-14.
- Pawlak K, Domaniewski T, Myśliwiec M, Pawlak D (2009) The kynurenines are associated with oxidation stress, inflammation and the prevalence of cardiovascular disease in patients with end-stage renal disease. Atherosclerosis 204: 309-314.
- Pawlak K, Domaniewski T, Myśliwiec M, Pawlak D (2009) Kynurenines and oxidative status are independently associated with thrombomodulin and von Willebrand factor levels in patient with end-stage renal disease. Thromb Res 124: 452-457.
- Pawlak K, Myśliwiec M, Pawlak D (2010) Haemostatic system, biochemical profiles, kynurenines and the prevalence of cardiovascular disease in peritoneally dialized patients. Thromb Res 125: e40-45.
- Rossi F, Garavaglia S, Montalbano V, Walsh MA, Rizzi M (2008) Crystal structure of human kynurenine aminotransferase ii, a drug target for treatment of schizofrenia. J Biol Chem 283: 3559-3566.
- Rowland LP (2005) Primary lateral sclerosis, hereditary spastic paraplegia, and mutations in the alsin gene: historical background for the first International Conference. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 6: 67-76.
- Sasaki N, Egashira Y, Sanada H (2009) Production of l-tryptophan-derived catabolites in hepatocytes from streptozocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Nutr 48: 145-153.
- Stone TW, Mackay GM, Forrest CM, Clark CJ, Darlington LG (2003) Tryptophan metabolites and brain disorders. Clin Chem Lab Med 41: 852-859.
- Suzuki Y, Suda T, Furuhashi K, Suzuki M, Fujie M, Hahimoto D, Nakamura Y, Inui N, Nakamura H, Chida K (2010) Increased serum kynurenine/tryptophan ratio correlates with disease progression in lung cancer. Lung Cancer 67: 361-365.
- Tedroff JM (1999) Functional consequences of dopaminergic degeneration in Parkinson's disease. Adv Neurol 80: 67-70.
- Thomas DM, Angoa Pérez M, Francescutti-Verbeem DM, Shah MM, Kuhn DM (2010) The role of endogenous serotonin in methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity to dopamine nerve endings of the striatum. J Neurochem 115: 595-605.
- Thomas SR, Stocker R (1999) Redox reactions related to indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase and tryptophan metabolism along the kynurenine pathway. Redox Rep 4: 199-220.
Publication order reference