Proangiogenic activity of plant extracts in accelerating wound healing - a new face of old phytomedicines
Languages of publication
Angiogenesis, the formation of new capillaries from pre-existing vascular network, plays an important role in physiological and pathological processes such as embryonic development, wound healing, and development of atherosclerosis. Extension of the circulatory network is also considered to be one the most important factors during cancerogenesis. Inhibition of angiogenesis may lead to inhibition of tumor growth whereas stimulation may improve wound healing. Research achievements suggest the use of plants and their extracts as potential therapeutic agents with pro- or antiangiogenic activity. Since the anticancer and antiangiogenic properties of many phytomedicines have been amply reviewed elsewhere this paper will focus on the treatment of vascular insufficiency in wound healing. Globally accepted herbal drugs are thought to be safe and effective, however, there is a need for more evidence-based confirmation in controlled and validated trials. Among the most frequently studied proangiogenic phytochemicals are ginsenosides from Panax ginseng, beta-sitosterol from Aloe vera, calycosin from Radix Astragali, and extracts from Hippophae rhamnoides L. and Angelica sinensis.
- Institute of Technical Biochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Technical University of Łódź, Łódź, Poland
- Institute of Technical Biochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Technical University of Łódź, Łódź, Poland
- Albrecht ED, Babischkin JS, Lidor Y, Anderson LD, Udoff LC, Pepe GJ (2003) Effect of estrogen on angiogenesis in co-cultures of human endometrial cells and microvascular endothelial cells. Hum Reprod 18: 2039-2047.
- Atiba A, Nishimura M, Kakinuma S, Hiraoka T, Goryo M, Shimada Y, Ueno H, Uzuka Y (2011) Aloe vera oral administration accelerates acute radiation-delayed wound healing by stimulating transforming growth factor-β and fibroblast growth factor production. Am J Surg 201: 809-818.
- Atiba A, Ueno H, Uzuka Y (2011) The effect of aloe vera oral administration on cutaneous wound healing in type 2 diabetic rats. J Vet Med Sci 73: 583-589.
- Attele AS, Wu JA, Yuan CS (1999) Ginseng pharmacology: multiple constituents and multiple actions. Biochem Pharmacol 58: 1685-1693.
- Balandrin MF, Kinghorn AD, Farnsworth NR (1993) Plant-Derived Natural Products in Drug Discovery and Development In Human Medicinal Agents from Plants, Kinghorn AD, Balandrin MF ed. ACS Symposium Series 534, pp 2-12. Washington, DC.
- Beveridge T, Li TS, Oomah BD, Smith A (1999) Sea buckthorn products: manufacture and composition. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3480-3488.
- Carmeliet P (2000) Mechanisms of angiogenesis and arteriogenesis. Nat Med 6: 389-395.
- Chen Y, Tseng SH (2007) Review. Pro- and anti-angiogenesis effects of resveratrol. In Vivo 21: 365-370.
- Chen J, Somanath PR, Razorenova O, Chen WS, Hay N, Bornstein P, Byzova TV (2005) Akt1 regulates pathological angiogenesis, vascular maturation and permeability in vivo. Nat Med 11: 1188-1196.
- Cheng J, Kondo K, Suzuki Y, Ikeda Y, Meng XS, Umemura K (2003) Inhibitory effects of total flavones of Hippophae rhamnoides L. on thrombosis in mouse femoral artery and in vitro platelet aggregation. Life Sci 72: 2263-2271.
- Cheung LW, Leung KW, Wong CK, Wong RN, Wong AS (2011) Ginsenoside-Rg1 induces angiogenesis via non-genomic crosstalk of glucocorticoid receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor-1. Cardiovasc Res 89: 419-425.
- Chiarugi P, Cirri P (2003) Redox regulation of protein tyrosine phosphatases during receptor tyrosine kinase signal transduction. Trends Biochem Sci 28: 509-514.
- Choi DY, Baek YH, Huh JE, Ko JM, Woo H, Lee JD, Park DS (2009) Stimulatory effect of Cinnamomum cassia and cinnamic acid on angiogenesis through up-regulation of VEGF and Flk-1/KDR expression. Int Immunopharmacol 9: 959-967.
- Choi DY, Huh JE, Lee JD, Cho EM, Baek YH, Yang HR, Cho YJ, Kim KI, Kim DY, Park DS (2005) Uncaria rhynchophylla induces angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo. Biol Pharm Bull 28: 2248-2252.
- Choi S, Kim KW, Choi JS, Han ST, Park YI, Lee SK, Kim JS, Chung MH (2002) Angiogenic activity of beta-sitosterol in the ischaemia/reperfusion-damaged brain of Mongolian gerbil. Planta Med 68: 330-335.
- Chung BH, Cho YL, Kim JD, Jo HS, Won MH, Lee H, Ha KS, Kwon YG, Kim YM (2010) Promotion of direct angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo by Puerariae flos extract via activation of MEK/ERK-, PI3K/Akt/eNOS-, and Src/FAK-dependent pathways. Phytother Res 24: 934-940.
- Cooke JP, Losordo DW (2002) Nitric oxide and angiogenesis. Circulation 105: 2133-2135.
- Cross MJ, Claesson-Welsh L (2001) FGF and VEGF function in angiogenesis: signalling pathways, biological responses and therapeutic inhibition. Trends Pharmacol Sci 22: 201-207.
- Davis RH, Kabbani JM, Maro NP (1987) Aloe vera and wound healing. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 77: 165-169.
- Davis RH, Leitner MG, Russo JM, Byrne ME (1989) Wound healing. Oral and topical activity of Aloe vera. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 79: 559-562.
- Dimmeler S, Zeiher AM (1999) Nitric oxide - an endothelial cell survival factor. Cell Death Differ 6: 964-968.
- Dong ZB, Li SP, Hong M, Zhu Q (2005) Hypothesis of potential active components in Angelica sinensis by using biomembrane extraction and high performance liquid chromatography. J Pharm Biomed Anal 38: 664-669.
- Dulak J (2005) Nutraceuticals as anti-angiogenic agents: Hopes and reality. J Physiol Pharmacol 56: 51-67.
- Eccleston C, Baoru Y, Tahvonen R, Kallio H, Rimbach GH, Minihane AM (2002) Effects of an antioxidant rich juice (sea buckthorn) on risk factors for coronary heart disease in humans. J Nutr Biochem 13: 346-354.
- Eliceiri BP, Cheresh DA (1999) The role of alphav integrins during angiogenesis: insights into potential mechanisms of action and clinical development. J Clin Invest 103: 1227-1230.
- Falanga V (2005) Wound healing and its impairment in the diabetic foot. Lancet 366: 1736-1743.
- Fan TP, Yeh JC, Leung KW, Yue PY, Wong RN (2006) Angiogenesis: from plants to blood vessels. Trends Pharmacol Sci 27: 297-309.
- Ferrara N (1999) Molecular and biological properties of vascular endothelial growth factor. J Mol Med 77: 527-543.
- Fonder MA, Lazarus GS, Cowan DA, Aronson-Cook B, Kohli AR, Mamelak AJ (2008) Treating the chronic wound: A practical approach to the care of nonhealing wounds and wound care dressings. J Am Acad Dermatol 58: 185-206.
- Fukuda S, Kaga S, Zhan L, Bagchi D, Das DK, Bertelli A, Maulik N (2006) Resveratrol ameliorates myocardial damage by inducing vascular endothelial growth factor-angiogenesis and tyrosine kinase receptor Flk-1. Cell Biochem Biophys 44: 43-49.
- Furukawa T, Bai CX, Kaihara A, Ozaki E, Kawano T, Nakaya Y, Awais M, Sato M, Umezawa Y, Kurokawa J (2006) Ginsenoside Re, a main phytosterol of Panax ginseng, activates cardiac potassium channels via a nongenomic pathway of sex hormones. Mol Pharmacol 70: 1916-1924.
- Ganju L, Padwad Y, Singh R, Karan D, Chanda S, Chopra MK, Bhatnagar P, Kashyap R, Sawhney RC (2005) Anti-inflammatory activity of Seabuckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) leaves. Int Immunopharmacol 5: 1675-1684.
- Giordano FJ, Johnson RS (2001) Angiogenesis: the role of the microenvironment in flipping the switch. Curr Opin Genet Dev 11: 35-40.
- Goldman M (1996) Cancer risk of low-level exposure. Science 271: 1821-1822.
- Gupta A, Upadhyay NK, Sawhney RC, Kumar R (2008) A poly-herbal formulation accelerates normal and impaired diabetic wound healing. Wound Repair Regen 16: 784-790.
- Gurtner GC, Werner S, Barrandon Y, Longaker MT (2008) Wound repair and regeneration. Nature 453: 314-321.
- Hattori R, Otani H, Maulik N, Das DK (2002) Pharmacological preconditioning with resveratrol: role of nitric oxide. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282: H1988-1995.
- Hoeben A, Landuyt B, Highley MS, Wildiers H, Van Oosterom AT, De Bruijn EA (2004) Vascular endothelial growth factor and angiogenesis. Pharmacol Rev 56: 549-580.
- Hong SJ, Wan JB, Zhang Y, Hu G, Lin HC, Seto SW, Kwan YW, Lin ZX, Wang YT, Lee SM (2009) Angiogenic effect of saponin extract from Panax notoginseng on HUVECs in vitro and zebrafish in vivo. Phytother Res 23: 677-686.
- Hoo RL, Wong JY, Qiao C, Xu A, Xu H, Lam KS (2010) The effective fraction isolated from Radix Astragali alleviates glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and hypertriglyceridemia in db/db diabetic mice through its anti-inflammatory activity. Nutr Metab (Lond) 7: 67.
- Huang YC, Chen CT, Chen SC, Lai PH, Liang HC, Chang Y, Yu LC, Sung HW (2005) A natural compound (ginsenoside Re) isolated from Panax ginseng as a novel angiogenic agent for tissue regeneration. Pharm Res 22: 636-646.
- Jagetia GC, Rajanikant GK (2004) Role of curcumin, a naturally occurring phenolic compound of turmeric in accelerating the repair of excision wound, in mice whole-body exposed to various doses of gamma-radiation, J Surg Res 120: 127-138.
- Jeon J, Lee J, Kim C, An Y, Choi C (2010) Aqueous extract of the medicinal plant Patrinia villosa Juss. Induces angiogenesis via activation of focal adhesion kinase. Microvasc Res 80: 303-309.
- Jettanacheawchankit S, Sasithanasate S, Sangvanich P, Banlunara W, Thunyakitpisal P (2009) Acemannan stimulates gingival fibroblast proliferation; expressions of keratinocyte growth factor-1, vascular endothelial growth factor, and type I collagen; and wound healing. J Pharmacol Sci 109: 525-531.
- Kaga S, Zhan L, Matsumoto M, Maulik N (2005) Resveratrol enhances neovascularization in the infarcted rat myocardium through the induction of thioredoxin-1, heme oxygenase-1 and vascular endothelial growth factor. J Mol Cell Cardiol 39: 813-822.
- Khanna S, Roy S, Bagchi D, Bagchi M, Sen CK (2001) Upregulation of oxidant-induced VEGF expression in cultured keratinocytes by a grape seed proanthocyanidin extract. Free Radic Biol Med 31: 38-42.
- Kim KW (2006) Angiogenic effect. In New perspectives on Aloe, Park YI, Lee SK eds, pp 82-94. Springer, US.
- Kim YG, Sumiyoshi M, Sakanaka M, Kimura Y (2009) Effects of ginseng saponins isolated from red ginseng on ultraviolet B-induced skin aging in hairless mice. Eur J Pharmacol 602: 148
- Kim YM, Namkoong S, Yun YG, Hong HD, Lee YC, Ha KS, Lee H, Kwon HJ, Kwon YG, Kim YM (2007) Water extract of Korean red ginseng stimulates angiogenesis by activating the PI3K/Akt-dependent ERK1/2 and eNOS pathways in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Biol Pharm Bull 30: 1674-1679.
- Kostelac D, Rechkemmer G, Briviba K (2003) Phytoestrogens modulate binding response of estrogen receptors alpha and beta to the estrogen response element. J Agric Food Chem 51: 7632-7635.
- Krump-Konvalinkova V, Yasuda S, Rubic T, Makarova N, Mages J, Erl W, Vosseler C, Kirkpatrick CJ, Tigyi G, Siess W (2005) Stable knock-down of the sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor S1P1 influences multiple functions of human endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: 546-552.
- Kuida K, Boucher DM (2004) Functions of MAP kinases: insights from gene-targeting studies. J Biochem 135: 653-656.
- Kumar B, Vijayakumar M, Govindarajan R, Pushpangadan P (2007) Ethnopharmacological approaches to wound healing-exploring medicinal plants of India. J Ethnopharmacol 114: 103-113.
- Lam HW, Lin HC, Lao SC, Gao JL, Hong SJ, Leong CW, Yue PY, Kwan YW, Leung AY, Wang YT, Lee SM (2008) The angiogenic effects of Angelica sinensis extract on HUVEC in vitro and Zebrafish in vivo. J Cell Biochem 103: 195-211.
- Lao SC, Li SP, Kan KKW, Li P, Wan JB, Wang YT, Dong TTX, Tsim KWK (2004) Identification and quantification of 13 components in Angelica sinensis (Danggui) by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry coupled with pressurized liquid extraction. Anal Chim Acta 526: 131-137.
- Lau TW, Chan YW, Lau CP, Lau KM, Lau CB, Fung KP, Leung PC, Ho YY (2009) Radix Astragali and Radix Rehmanniae, the principal components of two antidiabetic foot ulcer herbal formulae, elicit viability-promoting effects on primary fibroblasts cultured from diabetic foot ulcer tissues. Phytother Res 23: 809-815.
- Lay IS, Chiu JH, Shiao MS, Lui WY, Wu CW (2003) Crude extract of Salvia miltiorrhiza and salvianolic acid B enhance in vitro angiogenesis in murine SVR endothelial cell line. Planta Med 69: 26-32.
- Lay IS, Hsieh CC, Chiu JH, Shiao MS, Lui WY, Wu CW (2003) Salvianolic acid B enhances in vitro angiogenesis and improves skin flap survival in Sprague-Dawley rats. J Surg Res 115: 279-285.
- Lee MJ, Lee OH, Yoon SH, Lee SK, Chung MH, Park YI, Sung CK, Choi JS, Kim KW (1998) In vitro angiogenic activity of Aloe vera gel on calf pulmonary artery endothelial (CAPE) cells. Arch Pharm Res 21: 260-265.
- Lee MJ, Yoon SH, Lee SK, Chung MH, Park YI, Sung CK, Choi JS, Kim KW (1995) In vivo angiogenic activity of dichloromethane extracts of Aloe vera gel. Arch Pharm Res 18: 332-335.
- Lee TH, Lee GW, Kim CW, Bang MH, Baek NI, Kim SH, Chung DK, Kim J (2010) Stewartia koreana extract stimulates proliferation and migration of human endothelial cells and induces neovasculization in vivo. Phytother Res 24: 20-25.
- Lee YJ, Chung E, Lee KY, Lee YH, Huh B, Lee SK (1997) Ginsenoside-Rg1, one of the major active molecules from Panax ginseng, is a functional ligand of glucocorticoid receptor. Mol Cell Endocrinol 133: 135-140.
- Leung KW, Cheng YK, Mak NK, Chan KK, Fan TP, Wong RN (2006) Signaling pathway of ginsenoside-Rg1 leading to nitric oxide production in endothelial cells. FEBS Lett 580: 3211-3216.
- Li TS, Beveridge TH (2003) In Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.): production and utilization. NRC Research Press, Ottawa.
- Li SL, Li P, Sheng LH, Li RY, Qi LW, Zhang LY (2006) Live cell extraction and HPLC-MS analysis for predicting bioactive components of traditional Chinese medicines. J Pharm Biomed Anal 41: 576-581.
- Li TSC, Beveridge T, Oomah BD, Smith A (1999) Sea buckthorn products: manufacture and composition. J Agric Food Chem 47: 3480-3488.
- Liang HC, Chen CT, Chang Y, Huang YC, Chen SC, Sung HW (2005) Loading of a novel angiogenic agent, ginsenoside Rg1 in an acellular biological tissue for tissue regeneration. Tissue Eng 11: 835-846.
- Lin YG, Kunnumakkara AB, Nair A, Merritt WM, Han LY, Armaiz-Pena GN, Kamat AA, Spannuth WA, Gershenson DM, Lutgendorf SK, Aggarwal BB, Sood AK (2007) Curcumin inhibits tumor growth and angiogenesis in ovarian carcinoma by targeting the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway. Clin Cancer Res 13: 3423-3430.
- Lü JM, Yao Q, Chen C (2009) Ginseng compounds: an update on their molecular mechanisms and medical applications. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 7: 293-302.
- Lü JP, Ma ZC, Yang J, Huang J, Wang SR, Wang SQ (2004) Ginsenoside Rg1-induced alterations in gene expression in TNF-α stimulated endothelial cells. Chinese Medical Journal 117: 871-877.
- Ma XQ, Shi Q, Duan JA, Dong TT, Tsim KW (2002) Chemical analysis of Radix Astragali (Huangqi) in China: a comparison with its adulterants and seasonal variations. J Agric Food Chem 50: 4861-4866.
- Ma ZC, Gao Y, Wang J, Zhang XM, Wang SQ (2006) Proteomic analysis effects of ginsenoside Rg1 on human umbilical vein endothelial cells stimulated by tumor necrosis factor-α. Life Sci 79: 175-181.
- Maenthaisong R, Chaiyakunapruk N, Niruntraporn S, Kongkaew C (2007) The efficacy of Aloe vera used for burn wound healing: A systematic review. Burns 33: 713- 718.
- Matsumoto T, Claesson-Welsh L (2001) VEGF receptor signal transduction. Sci STKE 112: re21.
- Meng H, Guo J, Sun JY, Pei JM, Wang YM, Zhu MZ, Huang C (2008) Angiogenic effects of the extracts from Chinese herbs: Angelica and Chuanxiong. Am J Chin Med 36: 541-554.
- Moon EJ, Lee YM, Lee OH, Lee MJ, Lee SK, Chung MH, Park YI, Sung CK, Choi JS, Kim KW (1999) A novel angiogenic factor derived from Aloe vera gel: beta-sitosterol, a plant sterol. Angiogenesis 3: 117-123.
- Morisaki N, Watanabe S, Tezuka M, Zenibayashi M, Shiina R, Koyama N, Kanzaki T, Saito Y (1995) Mechanism of angiogenic effects of saponin from Ginseng Radix rubra in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Br J Pharmacol 115: 1188-1193.
- Mukherjee S, Dudley JI, Das DK (2010) Dose-dependency of resveratrol in providing health benefits. Dose Response 8: 478-500.
- Ososki AL, Kennelly EJ (2003) Phytoestrogens: a review of the present state of research. Phytother Res 17: 845-869.
- Papanas N, Maltezos E (2007) Growth factors in the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: new technologies, any promises? Int J Low Extrem Wounds 6: 37-53.
- Park JE, Keller GA, Ferrara N (1993) The vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms: differential deposition into the subepithelial extracellular matrix and bioactivity of extracellular matrix-bound VEGF. Mol Biol Cell 4: 1317-1326.
- Parks AH (1999) Equine foot wounds: general principles of healing and treatment. Proc Am Assoc Equine Pract 45: 180-187.
- Patel GK, Wilson CH, Harding KG, Finlay AY, Bowden PE (2006) Numerous keratinocyte subtypes involved in wound re-epithelialization. J Invest Dermatol 126: 497-502.
- Pettet G, Chaplain MA, McElwain DL, Byrne HM (1996) On the role of angiogenesis in wound healing. Proc Biol Sci 263: 1487-1493
- Robinson MJ, Cobb MH (1997) Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. Curr Opin Cell Biol 9: 180-6.
- Robson MC, Steed DL, Franz MG (2001) Wound healing: biologic features and approaches to maximize healing trajectories. Curr Probl Surg 38: 72-140.
- Schultz GS (2007) Molecular regulation of wound healing. In Acute and Chronic Wounds: Current Management Concepts, 3rd edn, Bryant RA, Nix DP eds, pp 82-99. Mosby Inc., St. Louis, MO.
- Sengupta S, Toh SA, Sellers LA, Skepper JN, Koolwijk P, Leung HW, Yeung HW, Wong RN, Sasisekharan R, Fan TP (2004) Modulating angiogenesis: the Yin and the Yang in ginseng. Circulation 110: 1219-1225.
- Sharma RA, McLelland HR, Hill KA, Ireson CR, Euden SA, Manson MM, Pirmohamed M, Marnett LJ, Gescher AJ, Steward WP (2001) Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic study of oral curcuma extract in patients with colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res 7: 1894-1900.
- Simoncini T, Hafezi-Moghadam A, Brazil DP, Ley K, Chin WW, Liao JK (2000) Interaction of oestrogen receptor with the regulatory subunit of phosphatidylinositol-3-OH kinase. Nature 407: 538-541.
- Somanath PR, Razorenova OV, Chen J, Byzova TV (2006) Akt1 in endothelial cell and angiogenesis. Cell Cycle 5: 512-518.
- Stetler-Stevenson WG (2008) The tumor microenvironment: regulation by MMP-independent effects of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-2. Cancer Metastasis Rev 27: 57-66.
- Strodtbeck F (2001) Physiology of Wound Healing. New Inf Nurs Rev 1: 43-52.
- Tanaka K, Abe M, Sato Y (1999) Roles of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in the signal transduction of basic fibroblast growth factor in endothelial cells during angiogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 90: 647-654.
- Tang JY, Li S, Li ZH, Zhang ZJ, Hu G, Cheang LC, Alex D, Hoi MP, Kwan YW, Chan SW, Leung GP, Lee SM (2010) Calycosin promotes angiogenesis involving estrogen receptor and mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathway in zebrafish and HUVEC. PLoS One 5: e11822.
- Tang LL, Sheng JF, Xu CH, Liu KZ (2009) Clinical and experimental effectiveness of Astragali compound in the treatment of chronic viral hepatitis B. J Int Med Res 37: 662-667.
- Tombran-Tink J, Barnstable CJ (2006) Preface In Ocular angiogenesis: diseases, mechanisms, and therapeutics. Tombran-Tink J, Barnstable CJ ed, pp V-VII. Humana Press, New Jersey.
- Tsuzuki Y, Fukumura D, Oosthuyse B, Koike C, Carmeliet P, Jain RK (2000) Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) modulation by targeting hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha → hypoxia response element → VEGF cascade differentially regulates vascular response and growth rate in tumors. Cancer Res 60: 6248-6252.
- Tyrone JW, Marcus JR, Bonomo SR, Mogford JE, Xia Y, Mustoe TA (2000) Transforming growth factor beta3 promotes fascial wound healing in a new animal model. Arch Surg 135: 1154-1159.
- Upadhyay NK, Kumar R, Mandotra SK, Meena RN, Siddiqui MS, Sawhney RC, Gupta A (2009) Safety and healing efficacy of sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) seed oil on burn wounds in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 47: 1146-1153.
- Upadhyay NK, Kumar R, Siddiqui MS, Gupta A (2009) Mechanism of wound-healing activity of Hippophae rhamnoides L. Leaf extract in experimental burns. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011: 659705-659804.
- Upadhyay NK, Kumar MS, Gupta A (2010) Antioxidant, cytoprotective and antibacterial effects of Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) leaves. Food Chem Toxicol 48: 3443-3448.
- Urbich C, Dimmeler S (2005) Risk factors for coronary artery disease, circulating endothelial progenitor cells, and the role of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Kidney Int 67: 1672-1676.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (1999) WHO Monographs on Selected Medicinal Plants. Vol. 1, pp 50-58. WHO Publications, Geneva.
- Velnar T, Bailey T, Smrkolj V (2009) The wound healing process: an overview of the cellular and molecular mechanisms. J Int Med Res 37: 1528-1542
- Xiao PG, Liu CX (1999) Immunostimulants in traditional Chinese medicine. In Immunomodulatory Agents from Plants, Wagner H ed, pp 325-356. Basel: Birkhaser Verlag.
- Xin X, Liu J, Li X, Zhong J, Wei D (2006) Extraction of 20(S)-ginsenoside Rg2 from cultured Panax notoginseng cells in vitro stimulates human umbilical cord vein endothelial cell proliferation. Am J Ther 13: 205-210.
- Xu XL, Ji H, Gu SY, Shao Q, Huang QJ, Cheng YP (2008) Cardioprotective effects of Astragali Radix against isoproterenol-induced myocardial injury in rats and its possible mechanism. Phytother Res 22: 389-394.
- Yang B, Karlsson RM, Oksman PH, Kallio HP (2001) Phytosterols in sea buckthorn (Hippophaë rhamnoides L.) berries: identification and effects of different origins and harvesting times. J Agric Food Chem 49: 5620-5629.
- Ye YN, Koo MW, Li Y, Matsui H, Cho CH (2001) Angelica sinensis modulates migration and proliferation of gastric epithelial cells. Life Sciences 68: 961-968.
- Ye YN, Liu ES, Shin VY, Koo MW, Li Y, Wei EQ, Matsui H, Cho CH (2001) A mechanistic study of proliferation induced by Angelica sinensis in a normal gastric epithelial cell line. Biochem Pharmacol 61: 1439-1448.
- Ye YN, So HL, Liu ES, Shin VY, Cho CH (2003) Effect of polysaccharides from Angelica sinensis on gastric ulcer healing. Life Sciences 72: 925-932.
- Yeh JC, Cindrova-Davies T, Belleri M, Morbidelli L, Miller N, Cho CW, Chan K, Wang YT, Luo GA, Ziche M, Presta M, Charnock-Jones DS, Fan TP (2011) The natural compound n-butylidenephthalide derived from the volatile oil of Radix Angelica sinensis inhibits angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo. Angiogenesis 14: 187-197.
- Yue PY, Mak NK, Cheng YK, Leung KW, Ng TB, Fan DT, Yeung HW, Wong RN (2007) Pharmacogenomics and the Yin/Yang actions of ginseng: anti-tumor, angiomodulating and steroid-like activities of ginsenosides. Chin Med 2: 6.
- Yue PY, Wong DY, Ha WY, Fung MC, Mak NK, Yeung HW, Leung HW, Chan K, Liu L, Fan TP, Wong RN (2005) Elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the angiogenic effects of ginsenoside Rg(1) in vivo and in vitro. Angiogenesis 8: 205-216.
- Wu D, Lei Y, Tong Y, Tang F, Qian Y, Zhou Y (2010) Angiogenesis of the frozen-thawed human fetal ovarian tissue at the early stage after xenotransplantation and the positive effect of Salviae miltiorrhizae. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293: 2154-2162.
- Zhang Y, Hu G, Lin HC, Hong SJ, Deng YH, Tang JY, Seto SW, Kwan YW, Waye MM, Wang YT, Lee SM (2009) Radix Astragali extract promotes angiogenesis involving vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-related phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent pathway in human endothelial cells. Phytother Res 23: 1205-1213.
- Zhao Z, Wang W, Wang F, Zhao K, Han Y, Xu W, Tang L (2009) Effects of Astragaloside IV on heart failure in rats. Chin Med 4: 6.
- Zheng KY, Choi RC, Cheung AW, Guo AJ, Bi CW, Zhu KY, Fu Q, Du Y, Zhang WL, Zhan JY, Duan R, Lau DT, Dong TT, Tsim KW (2011) Flavonoids from Radix Astragali induce the expression of erythropoietin in cultured cells: a signaling mediated via the accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α. J Agric Food Chem 59: 1697-1704.
- Zu Y, Li C, Fu Y, Zhao C (2006) Simultaneous determination of catechin, rutin, quercetin kaempferol and isorhamnetin in the extract of Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.) leaves by RP-HPLC with DAD. J Pharm Biomed Anal 41: 714-719.
Publication order reference