Cardiac endothelial cells isolated from mouse heart - a novel model for radiobiology
Languages of publication
Cardiovascular disease is recognized as an important clinical problem in radiotherapy and radiation protection. However, only few radiobiological models relevant for assessment of cardiotoxic effects of ionizing radiation are available. Here we describe the isolation of mouse primary cardiac endothelial cells, a possible target for cardiotoxic effects of radiation. Cells isolated from hearts of juvenile mice were cultured and irradiated in vitro. In addition, cells isolated from hearts of locally irradiated adult animals (up to 6 days after irradiation) were tested. A dose-dependent formation of histone γH2A.X foci was observed after in vitro irradiation of cultured cells. However, such cells were resistant to radiation-induced apoptosis. Increased levels of actin stress fibres were observed in the cytoplasm of cardiac endothelial cells irradiated in vitro or isolated from irradiated animals. A high dose of 16 Gy did not increase permeability to Dextran in monolayers formed by endothelial cells. Up-regulated expression of Vcam1, Sele and Hsp70i genes was detected after irradiation in vitro and in cells isolated few days after irradiation in vivo. The increased level of actin stress fibres and enhanced expression of stress-response genes in irradiated endothelial cells are potentially involved in cardiotoxic effects of ionizing radiation.
- Airley R, Loncaster J, Davidson S, Bromley M, Roberts S, Patterson A, Hunter R, Stratford I, West C (2001) Glucose transporter Glut-1 expression correlates with tumor hypoxia and predicts metastasis-free survival in advanced carcinoma of the cervix. Clin Cancer Res 7: 928-934.
- Celermajer DS (1997) Endothelial dysfunction: does it matter? Is it reversible? J Am Coll Cardiol 30: 325-333.
- Darby SC, Cutter DJ, Boerma M, Constine LS, Fajaro LF, Kodama K, Mabuchi K, Marks LB, Mettler FA, Pierce LJ, Trott KR, Yeh ET, Shore RE (2010) Radiation-related heart disease: current knowledge and future prospects. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76: 656-665.
- Daugaard M, Rohde M, Jäättelä M (2007) The heat shock protein 70 family: highly homologous proteins with overlapping and distinct functions. FEBS Lett 581: 3702-3710.
- Dimri GP, Lee X, Basile G, Acosta M, Scott G, Roskelley C, Medrano EE, Linskens M, Rubelj I, Pereira-Smith O, Peacocke M, Campisi J (1995) A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 9363-9367.
- Dong QG, Bernasconi S, Lostaglio S, De Calmanovici RW, Martin-Padura I, Breviario F, Garlanda C, Ramponi S, Mantovani A, Vecchi A (1997) A general strategy for isolation of endothelial cells from murine tissues; characterization of two endothelial cell lines from the murine lung and subcutaneous sponge implants. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17: 1599-1604.
- Fajardo LF, Stewart JR (1971) Capillary injury preceding radiation induced myocardial fibrosis. Radiology 101: 429-433.
- Gabrys D, Greco O, Patel G, Prise KM, Tozer GM, Kanthou C (2007) Radiation effects on the cytoskeleton of endothelial cells and endothelial monolayer permeability. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69: 1553-1562.
- Guo K, Searfoss G, Krolikowski D, Pagnoni M, Franks C, Clark K, Yu KT, Jayea M, Ivashchenko Y (2001) Hypoxia induces the expression of the pro-apoptotic gene Bnip3. Cell Death Differ 8: 367-376.
- Hallahan D, Kuchibhotla J, Wyble C (1996) Cell adhesion molecules mediate radiation-induced leukocyte adhesion to the vascular endothelium. Cancer Res 56: 5150-5155.
- Hancock SL, Tucker MA, Hoppe RT (1993) Factors affecting late mortality from heart disease after treatment for Hodgkin's disease. JAMA 270: 1949-1955.
- Heckmann M, Douwes K, Peter R, Degitz K (1998) Vascular activation of adhesion molecule mRNA and cell surface expression by ionizing radiation. Exp Cell Res 238: 148-154.
- Hendry JH, Akahoshi M, Wang LS, Lipshultz SE, Stewart FA, Trott KR (2008) Radiation-induced cardiovascular injury. Radiat Environ Biophys 47: 189-193.
- Hinsbergh VV (1997) Endothelial permeability for macromolecules. Mechanistic aspects of pathophysiological modulation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17: 1018-1023.
- Kantak SS, Diglio CA, Onoda JM (1993) Low dose radiation-induced endothelial cell retraction. Int J Radiat Biol 64: 319-328.
- Lim Y, Garcia-Cardena G, Allport JR, Zervoglos M, Connolly AJ, Gimbrone MA, Luscinskas FW (2003) Heterogeneity of endothelial cells from different organ sites in T-cell subset recruitment. Am J Pathol 162: 1591-1601.
- Little MP, Tawn EJ, Tzoulaki I, Wakeford R, Hildebrandt G, Paris F, Tapio S, Elliotta P (2008) A systematic review of epidemiological associations between low and moderate doses of ionizing radiation and late cardiovascular effects, and their possible mechanisms. Radiat Res 169: 99-109.
- Marelli-Berg FM, Peek E, Lidington EA, Stauss HJ, Lechler RI (2000) Isolation of endothelial cells from murine tissue. J Immunol Methods 244: 205-215.
- Nubel T, Dippold W, Kaina B, Fritz G (2004) Ionizing radiation-induced E-selectin gene expression and tumor cell adhesion is inhibited by lovastatin and all-trans retinoic acid. Carcinogenesis 25: 1335-1344.
- Onoda J, Kantak S, Diglio C (1999) Radiation induced endothelial cell retraction in vitro: correlation with acute pulmonary edema. Pathol Oncol Res 5: 49-55.
- Petty RG, Pearson JD (1989) Endothelium - the axis of vascular health and disease. J R Coll Physicians Lond 23: 92-101.
- Ponnuchamy B, Khalil RA (2008) Role of ADAMs in endothelial cell permeability: cadherin shedding and leukocyte rolling. Circ Res 102: 1139-1142.
- Rogakou EP, Pilch DR, Orr AH, Ivanova VS, Bonner WM (1998) DNA double-stranded breaks induce histone H2AX phosphorylation on serine 139. J Biol Chem 273: 5858-5868.
- Schultz-Hector S, Trott KR (2007) Radiation-induced cardiovascular diseases: is the epidemiologic evidence compatible with the radiobiologic data? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67: 10-18.
- Senkus-Konefka E, Jassem J (2007) Cardiovascular effects of breast cancer radiotherapy. Cancer Treat Rev 33: 578-593.
- Shimizu Y, Kodama K, Nishi N, Kasagi F, Suyama A, Soda M, Grant EJ, Sugiyama H, Sakata R, Moriwaki H, Hayashi M, Konda M, Shore RE (2010) Radiation exposure and circulatory disease risk: Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb survivor data, 1950-2003. BMJ 340: b5349.
- Tsujino K, Kodama A, Kanaoka N, Maruta T, Kono M (1999) Expression of pulmonary mRNA encoding ICAM-1, VCAM-1, and P-selectin following thoracic irradiation in mice. Radiat Med 17: 283-287.
- Ward JF (1988) DNA damage produced by ionizing radiation in mammalian cells: identities, mechanisms of formation and repairability. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 35: 95-125.
- Waters C, Taylor J, Molteni A, Ward W (1996) Dose-response effects of radiation on the permeability of endothelial cells in culture. Radiat Res 146: 321-328.
Publication order reference