Hepatoprotective effect of aqueous extract of Aframomum melegueta on ethanol-induced toxicity in rats
Languages of publication
In recent years there have been remarkable developments in the prevention of diseases, especially with regards to the role of free radicals and antioxidants. Ethanol-induced oxidative stress appears to be one mechanism by which ethanol causes liver injury. The protective effect of aqueous plant extract of Aframomum melegueta on ethanol-induced toxicity was investigated in male Wistar rats. The rats were treated with 45 % ethanol (4.8 g/kg b.w.t.) for 16 days to induce alcoholic diseases in the liver. The activities of alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase and triglyceride were monitored and the histological changes in liver examined in order to evaluate the protective effects of the plant extract. Hepatic malondialdehyde and reduced glutathione, as well as superoxide dismutase and glutathione-S-transferase activities were determined for the antioxidant status. Chronic ethanol administration resulted in a statistically significant elevation of serum alanine aminotransferases and triglyceride levels, as well as a decrease in reduced glutathione and superoxide dismutase which was dramatically attenuated by the co-administration of the plant extract. Histological changes were related to these indices. Co-administration of the plant extract suppressed the elevation of lipid peroxidation, restored the reduced glutathion, and enhanced the superoxide dismutase activity. These results highlight the ability of Aframomum melegueta to ameliorate oxidative damage in the liver and the observed effects are associated with its antioxidant activities.
- Adaramoye OA, Awogbindin I, Okusaga JO (2009) Effect of kolaviron, a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds, on ethanol-induced oxidative stress in liver of adult wistar rats. J Med Food 12: 584-590.
- Adiels M, Olofsson SO, Taskinen MR, Boren J (2008) Overproduction of very low-density lipoproteins is the hallmark of the dyslipidemia in the metabolic syndrome. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28: 1225-1236.
- Agoha RC (1974) Medicinal Plant of Nigeria. pp 22-158. Offsetdikker Facuitect Waskunden Natnurwenten Schoppen.
- Albano E (2006) Alcohol, oxidative stress and free radical damage. Proc Nutr Soc 65: 278-290.
- Arteel GE (2003) Oxidants and antioxidants in alcohol-induced liver disease. Gastroenterology 124: 778-790.
- Arteel GE, Kadiiska MB, Rusyn I, Bradford BU, Mason RP, Raleigh JA, Thurman RG (1999) Oxidative stress occurs in perfused rat liver at low oxygen tension by mechanisms involving peroxynitrite. Mol Pharmacol 55: 708-715.
- Ashak KG, Zimmerman HJ, Ray MB (1991) Alcoholic liver disease: Pathologic, pathogenic and clinical aspects. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 15: 45-66.
- Autrup H (2000) Genetic polymorphisms in human xenobiotica metabolizing enzymes as susceptibility factors in toxic response. Mutat Res 464: 65-76.
- Bain PJ (2003) In Duncan and Prasse's Veterinary Laboratory Medicine: Clinical Pathology. Latimer KS, Mahaffrey EA, Prasse KW eds, 4th edn. pp 193-414. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Beutler E, Duron O, Kelly BM (1963) Improved method for the determination of blood glutathione. J Lab Clin Med 61: 882-888.
- Cederbaum AI (2001) Introduction-serial review: alcohol, oxidative stress and cell injury. Free Radic Biol Med 31: 1524-1526.
- Cederbaum AI, Lu Y, Wu D (2009) Role of oxidative stress in alcohol-induced liver injury. Arch Toxicol 83: 519-548.
- Chen X (2010) Protective effects of quercetin on liver injury induced by ethanol. Phcog Mag [serial online] 6: 135-41.
- Choi JS, Yoon TJ, Kang KR, Lee KH, Kim WH, Suh YH, Song J, Jung MH (2006) Glycoprotein isolated from Acanthopanax senticosus protects against hepatotoxicity induced by acute and chronic alcohol treatment. Biol Pharm Bull 29: 306-314.
- Das SK, Varadhan S, Dhanya L, Mukherjee S, Vasudevan DM (2008) Effects of chronic ethanol exposure on renal function tests and oxidative stress in kidney. Ind J Clin Biochem 23: 341-344.
- Dey A, Cederbaum AI (2006) Alcohol and oxidative liver injury. Hepatology 43 (Suppl. 1): S63-S74.
- Fernandez-Checa JC (2003) Alcohol-induced liver disease: when fat and oxidative stress meet. Ann Hepatol 2: 69-75.
- Fernandez-Checa JC, Kaplowitz N, Colell A, Garcı´a-Ruiz C (1997) Oxidative stress and alcoholic liver disease. Alcohol Health Res World 21: 321-324.
- Gornall AC, Bardawill EJ, David MM (1949) Determination of serum proteins by means of Biuret reaction. J Biol Chem 177: 751-766.
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB (1974) Glutathione S-transferases. The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249: 7130-7139.
- Harborne JB (1973) Phytochemical Methods: A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. pp 49-188. Chapman and Hall Ltd., London.
- Hayes JD, Pulford DJ (1995) The glutathione S-transferase supergene family: regulation of GST and the contribution of the isoenzymes to cancer chemoprotection and drug resistance. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 30: 445-600.
- Inegbenebor U, Ebomoyi MI, Onyia KA, Amadi K, Aigbiremolen AE (2009) Effect of alligator pepper (zingiberaceae aframomum melegueta) on first trimester pregnancy in sprague dawley rats. Niger J Physiol Sci 24: 161-164.
- Karthikesan K, Pari L (2008) Caffeic acid alleviates the increased lipid levels of serum and tissues in alcohol-induced rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 22: 523-527.
- Kudo T, Tamagawa T, Shibata S (2009) Effect of chronic ethanol exposure on the liver of Clock-mutant mice. J Circadian Rhythms 7: 4.
- Lieber CS (2000) Alcohol and the liver: metabolism of alcohol and its role in hepatic and extrahepatic diseases. Mt Sinai J Med 67: 84-94.
- Liu S, Hou W, Yao P, Zhang B, Sun S, Nüssler SK, Liu L (2010) Quercetin protects against ethanol-induced oxidative damage in rat primary hepatocytes. Toxicol in Vitro 24: 516-522.
- Mansouri A, Fromenty B, Berson A, Robin MA, Grimbert S, Beaugrand M, Erlinger S, Pessayre D (1997) Multiple hepatic mitochondrial DNA deletions suggest premature oxidative aging in alcoholic patients. J Hepatol 27: 96-102.
- McDonough KH (2003) Antioxidant nutrients and alcohol. Toxicology 189: 89-97.
- Misra HP, Fridovich I (1972) The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem 247: 3170-3175.
- Nordman R, Riviere C, Rouach H (1992) Implication of free radical mechanisms in ethanol-induced cellular injury. Free Radic Biol Med 12: 219-240.
- Okwu DE (2005) Phytochemicals, vitamins and mineral content of two nigerian medicinal plants. Intl J Mol Med Adv Sci 1: 375-381.
- Srivastava A, Shivanandappa T (2006) Hepatoprotective effect of the aqueous extract of the roots of Decalepis hamiltonii against ethanol-induced oxidative stress in rats. Hepatol Res 35: 267-275.
- Valentine BA, Blue JT, Shelley SM, Cooper BJ (1990) Increased serum alanine aminotransferase activity associated with muscle necrosis in the dog. J Vet Intern Med 4: 140-143.
- Varshney R, Kale RK (1990) Effects of calmodulin antagonists on radiation-induced lipid peroxidation in microsomes. Int J Radiat Biol 58: 733-743.
- Wang AL, Wang PP, Wang H, Chen YH, Zhao L, Wang LS, Wei W, Xu DX (2006) A dual effect of N-acetylcysteine on acute ethanol-induced liver damage in mice. Hepatol Res 34: 199-206.
- Wu G, Fang YZ, Yang S, Lupton JR, Turner ND (2004) Glutathione metabolism and its implications for health. J Nutr 134: 489-492.
- Zeng T, Guo F, Zhang C, Zhao S, Dou D, Gao X, Xie K (2008) The anti-fatty liver effect of garlic oil on acute ethanol exposed mice. Chem Biol Interact 176: 234-242.
Publication order reference