A novel alkaline protease from wild edible mushroom Termitomyces albuminosus
Languages of publication
A protease with a molecular mass of 30 kDa and the N-terminal sequence of GLQTNAPWGLARSS, was isolated from fresh fruiting bodies of the wild edible mushroom Termitomyces albuminosus. The purification protocol included ion exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose, Q-Sepharose, SP-Sepharose and FPLC-gel filtration on Superdex 75. The protein was unadsorbed on DEAE-cellulose and Q-Sepharose, but adsorbed on SP-Sepharose. The optimal pH and temperature of the purified enzyme were 10.6 and 60 °C, respectively. The enzyme was stable in the presence of 2 % (v/v) Tween 80 and 4 M urea. More than 80 % of the enzyme activity was retained in 2 % (v/v) Triton X 100, 54 % in 10 mM EDTA and 31 % in 2 % (w/v) SDS. The enzyme was strongly inhibited by phenylmethylsulfonyl fluoride (PMSF), but not inhibited by dithiothreitol (DTT), pepstatin or lima bean trypsin inhibitor suggesting that it was a serine protease but not a trypsin-like one. The protease was inhibited by Hg2+, Cu2+, and Fe3+ ions. The Km and Vmax values of the purified enzyme for casein were 8.26 mg ∙ ml-1 and 0.668 mg ∙ ml-1 ∙ min-1, respectively.
- Hebei Engineering University, Handan, China
- State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology and Department of Microbiology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- Key Laboratory of Urban Agriculture (North) of Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing University of Agriculture, Beijing, China
- Bose S, Mazumder S, Mukherjee M (2007) Laccase production by the white-rot fungus Termitomyces clypeatus. J Basic Microbiol 47: 127-131.
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-254.
- Burton KS, Wood DA, Thurston CF, Barker PJ (1993) Purification and characterization of a serine proteinase from senescent sporophores of the commercial mushroom Agaricus bisporus. J Gen Microbiol 139: 1379-1386.
- Burton KS, Hammond JBW, Minamide T (1994) Protease activity in Agaricus bisporus during periodic fruiting (flushing) and sporophore development. Curr Microbiol 28: 275-278.
- Burton KS, Partis MD, Wood DA, Thurston CF (1997a) Accumulation of serine proteinase in senescent sporophores of the cultivated mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. Mycol Res 101: 146-152.
- Burton KS, Smith JF, Wood DA, Thurston CF (1997b) Mycelial proteinases of the cultivated mushroom Agaricus bisporus. Mycol Res 101: 1341-1347.
- Cui L, Liu QH, Wang HX, Ng TB (2007) An alkaline protease from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus citrinopileatus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 75: 81-85.
- Dayanandan A, Kanagaraj J, Sounderraj L, Govindaraju R, Rajkumar GS (2003) Application of an alkaline protease in leather processing: an ecofriendly approach. J Clean Prod 1: 533-536.
- Ganesh KA, Swarnalatha S, Sairam B, Sekaran G (2008) Production of alkaline protease by Pseudomonas aeruginosa using proteinaceous solid waste generated from leather manufacturing industries. Bioresour Technol 99: 1939-1944.
- Healy V, O'Connell J, McCarthy TV, Doonan S (1999) The lysine-specific proteinase from Armillaria mellea is a member of a novel class of metalloendopeptidases located in Basidiomycetes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 262: 60-63.
- Johjima T, Ohkuma M, Kudo T (2003) Isolation and cDNA cloning of novel hydrogen peroxide-dependent phenol oxidase from the basidiomycete Termitomyces albuminosus. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 61: 220-225.
- Kim JH, Kim YS (1999) A fibrinolytic metalloprotease from the fruiting bodies of an edible mushroom, Armillariella mellea. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 63: 2130-2136.
- Kim JH, Kim YS (2001) Characterization of a metalloenzyme from a wild mushroom, Tricholoma saponaceum. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 65: 356-362.
- Kobayashi H, Sekibata S, Shibuya H, Yoshida S, Kusakabe I, Murakami K (1989) Cloning and sequence analysis of cDNA for Irpex lacteus aspartic proteinase. Agric Biol Chem 53: 1927-1933.
- Laemmli UK, Favre M (1973) Maturation of the head of bacteriophage T4. I. DNA packaging events. J Mol Biol 80: 575-599.
- Lam SS, Wang H, Ng TB (1998) Purification and characterization of novel ribosome inactivating proteins, alpha- and beta-pisavins, from seeds of the garden pea Pisum sativum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 253: 135-142.
- Liers C, Bobeth C, Pecyna M, Ullrich R, Hofrichter M (2010) DyP-like peroxidases of the jelly fungus Auricularia auricula-judae oxidize nonphenolic lignin model compounds and high-redox potential dyes. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85: 1869-1879.
- Ma C, Ni X, Chi Z, Ma L, Gao L (2007) Purification and characterization of an alkaline protease from the marine yeast Aureobasidium pullulans for bioactive peptide production from different sources. Mar Biotechnol (NY) 9: 343-351.
- Nonaka T, Ishikawa H, Tsumuraya Y, Hashimoto Y, Dohmae N (1995) Characterization of a thermostable lysine-specific metalloendopeptidase from the fruiting bodies of a basidiomycete. Grifola frondosa. J Biochem 118: 1014-1020.
- Nonaka T, Dohmae N, Hashimoto Y, Takio K (1997) Amino acid sequences of metalloendopeptidases specific for acyl-lysine bonds from Grifola frondosa and Pleurotus ostreatus fruiting bodies. J Biol Chem 272: 30032-30039.
- Rao MB, Tanksale AM, Ghatge MS, Deshpande VV (1998) Molecular and biotechnological aspects of microbial proteases. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 62: 597-635.
- Sattar AK, Yamamoto N, Yoshimoto T, Tsuru D (1990) Purification and characterization of an extracellular prolyl endopeptidase from Agaricus bisporus. J Biochem 107: 256-261.
- Shaginian KA, Alekhina IA, Denisova NP (1990) Serine proteinase from the higher basidiomycetes of Coprinus genus. Biokhimiia 55: 1387-1395.
- Shin HH, Choi HS (1998) Purification and partial characterization of a metalloprotease in Flammulina velutipes. J Microbiol. 36: 20-25.
- Terashita T, Oda K, Kona M, Murao S (1985) Purification and some properties of metal proteinases from Lentinus edodes. Agr Biol Chem 410: 2293-2300.
- Tremacoldi CR, Monti R, Selistre HS, Carmona EC (2007) Purification and properties of an alkaline protease of Aspergillus clavatus. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 23: 295-299.
- Wang H, Ng TB (2001) Pleureryn, a novel protease from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Pleurotus eryngii. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289: 750-755.
- Yoshimoto T, Sattar AK, Hirose W, Tsuru D (1988) Studies on prolyl endopeptidase from shakashimeji (Lyophyllum cinerascens): purification and enzymatic properties. J Biochem 104: 622-627.
- Zhang G, Wang H, Zhang X, Ng T (2010a) Helvellisin, a novel alkaline protease from the wild ascomycete mushroom Helvella lacunos J Biosci Bioeng 109: 20-24.
- Zhang XQ, Liu QH, Zhang GQ, Wang HX, Ng TB (2010b) Purification and molecular cloning of a serine protease from the mushroom Hypsizigus marmore. Process Biochem 45: 724-30.
Publication order reference