Tadalafil alters energy metabolism in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells
Languages of publication
Phosphodiesterases (PDEs) are a family of enzymes that hydrolyze cyclic nucleotides, thereby modulating cell functions. Three highly selective PDE5 inhibitors (PDE5i), sildenafil, vardenafil and tadalafil, have been developed for treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). Experimental evidence showed that chronic treatment with sildenafil PDE5i in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance improved insulin action and decreased circulating fatty acid levels. It has recently been shown that healthy athletes use PDE5i as performance enhancers, hence in the present study we investigated whether the long-lasting PDE5i tadalafil influences energy metabolism in C2C12 skeletal muscle cells by evaluating lactate production, glucose consumption, and citrate synthase and 3-OH acyl CoA dehydrogenase activities. Our data demonstrate that tadalafil is able to modulate energy homeostasis in mouse skeletal muscle cells, depending on the treatment length and dose.
- Ayala JE, Bracy DP, Julien BM, Rottman JN, Fueger PT, Wasserman DH (2007) Chronic treatment with sildenafil improves energy balance and insulin action in high fat-fed conscious mice. Diabetes 56: 1025-1033.
- Catani MV, Savini I, Duranti G, Caporossi D, Ceci R, Sabatini S, Avigliano L (2004) Nuclear factor kappaB and activating protein 1 are involved in differentiation-mediated resistance to oxidative stress in skeletal muscle cell lines. Free Rad Biol Med 37: 1024-1036.
- Cheng CL, Chou CH (2005) Determination of Tadalafil in small volumes of plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with UV detection. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 822: 278-284.
- Corbin JD, Francis SH (2002) Pharmacology of phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors. Int J Clin Pract 56: 453-459.
- Di Luigi L, Baldari C, Sgrò P, Emerenziani GP, Gallotta MC, Bianchini S, Romanelli F, Pigozzi F, Lenzi A, Guidetti L (2008a) The type 5 phosphodiesterase inhibitor Tadalafil influences salivary cortisol, testosterone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate responses to maximal exercise in healthy men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93: 3510-3514.
- Di Luigi L, Baldari C, Pigozzi F, Emerenziani GP, Gallotta MC, Iellamo F, Ciminelli E, Sgrò P, Romanelli F, Lenzi A, Guidetti (2008b) The long-acting phosphodiesterase inhibitor Tadalafil does not influence athletes' VO2max, aerobic, and anaerobic thresholds in normoxia. Int J Sports Med 29: 110-115.
- Dickinson NT, Jang EK, Haslam RJ (1997) Activation of cGMP-stimulated phosphodiesterase by nitroprusside limits cAMP accumulation in human platelets: effects on platelet aggregation. Biochem J 323: 371-377.
- Essen-Gustavsson B, Henriksson J (1984) Enzyme levels in pools of microdissected human muscle fibers of identified type. Adaptative response to exercise. Acta Physiol Scand 120: 505-515.
- Flores Rodríguez J, Berzas Nevado JJ, Castañeda Peñalvo G, Mora Diez N (2004) Development of a micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography method for the determination of three drugs employed in the erectile dysfunction therapy. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 811: 231-236.
- Guidetti L, Emerenziani GP, Gallotta MC, Pigozzi F, Di Luigi L, Baldari C (2008) Effect of Tadalafil on anaerobic performance indices in healthy athletes. Br J Sports Med 42: 130-133.
- Haas B, Mayer P, Jennissen K, Scholz D, Diaz MB, Bloch W, Herzig S, Fässler R, Pfeifer A (2009) Protein kinase G controls brown fat cell differentiation and mitochondrial biogenesis. Sci Signal 2: ra78.
- Jansson PA, Murdolo G, Sjögren L, Nyström B, Sjöstrand M, Strindberg L, Lönnroth P (2010) Tadalafil increases muscle capillary recruitment and forearm glucose uptake in women with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 53: 2205-2208.
- Kulkarni SK, Patil CS (2004) Phosphodiesterase 5 enzyme and its inhibitors: update on pharmacological and therapeutical aspects. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 26: 789-799.
- Liu L, Zheng S, Han P, Wei Q (2011) Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors for lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Urology 77: 123-129.
- Li L, Yee C, Beavo JA (1999) CD3- and CD28-dependent induction of PDE7 required for T cell activation. Science 283: 848-851.
- Loughney K, Hill TR, Florio VA, Uher L, Rosman GJ, Wolda SL, Jones BA, Howard ML, McAllister-Lucas LM, Sonnenburg WK, Francis SH, Corbin JD, Beavo JA, Ferguson K (1998) Isolation and characterization of cDNAs encoding PDE5A, a human cGMP-binding, cGMP-specific 3',5'-cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase. Gene 216: 139-147.
- Mitsuishi M, Miyashita K, Itoh H (2008) cGMP rescues mitochondrial dysfunction induced by glucose and insulin in myocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 367: 840-845.
- Mounier R, Cavaliè H, Lac G, Clottes E (2007) Molecular impact of clenbuterol and isometric strenght training on rat EDL mucles. Pflugers Arch 453: 497-507.
- Omori K, Kotera J (2007) Overview of PDEs and their regulation. Circ Res 100: 309-327.
- Salloum FN, Chau VQ, Hoke NN, Abbate A, Varma A, Ockaili RA, Toldo S, Kukreja RC (2009) Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor, Tadalafil, protects against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion through protein-kinase G-dependent generation of hydrogen sulphide. Circulation 120: S31-S36.
- Soderling SH, Beavo JA (2000) Regulation of cAMP and cGMP signalling: new phosphodiesterases and new functions. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12: 174-179.
- Srere PA (1969) Citrate synthase. Methods Enzymol 13: 3-11.
- Vachiery JL, Huez S, Gillies H, Layton G, Hayashi N, Gao X, Naeije R (2011) Safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of an intravenous bolus of sildenafil in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Br J Clin Pharmacol 71: 289-292.
- Vernet D, Magee T, Qian A, Nolazco G, Rajfer J, Gonzalez-Cadavid N (2006) Phosphodiesterase type 5 is not upregulated by tadalafil in cultures of human penile cells. J Sex Med 3: 84-94.
Publication order reference