Altered oxidative stress levels in Indian Parkinson's disease patients with PARK2 mutations
Languages of publication
The aim of this pilot study was to determine the baseline state of oxidative stress indices in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD). Peripheral blood samples of 15 PD subjects were analyzed and compared with ten age matched healthy controls. Patients with PARK2 mutations were also compared with PD patients without mutations. There was significant increase in malondialdehyde content and superoxide-dismutase (SOD) activity in peripheral blood parameters in PD patients (p < 0.05) in comparison to controls. These findings suggest an important role of oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease evolution and progress. No changes were observed in glutathione peroxidase and nitric oxide levels. We found significant correlation between SOD activity and lipid peroxidation when the biochemical data was further analyzed. In addition, significant increase in the levels of SOD among the PD patients with PARK2 mutations was observed, which can be ascribed to chronic oxidative stress induced by PARK2 mutations.
- Buege JA, Aust SD (1978) Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Meth Enzymol 52: 302-310.
- Buhmann C, Arlt S, Kontush A, Moller-Bertram T, Sperber S (2004) Plasma and CSF markers of oxidative stress are increased in Parkinson's disease and influenced by antiparkinsonian medication. Neurobiol Dis 15: 160-170.
- Dei R, Takeda A, Niwa H, Li, Nakagomi Y, Watanabe M (2002) Lipid peroxidation and advanced glycation end products in the brain in normal aging and in Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neuropathol 104: 113-122.
- Dexter DT, Carter CJ, Wells FR, Javoy-Agid F, Agid Y, Less A (1989) Basal lipid peroxidation in substantia nigra is increased in Parkinson's disease. J Neurochem 52: 381-389.
- Hughes AJ, Daniel SE, Kilford L, Lees AJ (1992) Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of idiopathic Parkinson's disease: a clinical pathological study of 100 cases. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 55: 181-184.
- Hung H, Lee EH (1998) MPTP produces differential oxidative stress and antioxidative responses in the nigrostriatal and mesolimbic dopaminergic pathways. Free Radic Biol Med 24: 76-84.
- Hyun DH, Lee M, Halliwell B, Jenner P (2005) Effect of overexpression of wild-type or mutant parkin on the cellular response induced by toxic insults. J Neurosci Res 82: 232-244.
- Kitada T, Asakawa S, Hattori N, Matsumine H, Yamamura Y, Minoshima S et al. (1998) Mutations in the parkin gene cause autosomal recessive juvenile parkinsonism. Nature 392: 605-608.
- Lang AE, Lozano AM (1998) Parkinson's disease. First of two parts. N Engl J Med 339: 1044-1053.
- Ilic TV, Joyanoyic M, Joyicic A, Tomovic M (1999) Oxidative stress indicators are elevated in de novo Parkinson's disease patients. Funct Neurol 14: 141-147.
- McCord JM, Fridovich I (1988) Superoxide dismutase: the first twenty years (1968-1988). Free Radic Biol Med 5: 363-369.
- Vinish M, Prabhakar S, Khullar M, Verma I, Anand A (2010) Genetic screening reveals high frequency of PARK2 mutations and reduced Parkin expression conferring risk for Parkinsonism in North West India. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr 81: 166-170.
- Paglia DE, Valentine WN (1967) Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase. J Lab Clin Med 70: 158-169.
- Palacino JJ, Sagi D, Goldberg MS, Krauss S, Motz C, Wacker M et al. (2004) Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative damage in parkin-deficient mice. J Biol Chem 279: 18614-18622.
- Serra JA, Domingeuz RO, Lusting ES, Guareschi EM, Famulari AL (2001) Parkinson's disease is associated with oxidative stress: comparison of peripheral antioxidant profiles in living Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and vascular demntia patients. J Neural Transm 108: 1135-1148.
- Sharma A, Kaur P, Kumar B, Prabhakar S, Gill KD (2008) Plasma lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status of Parkinson's disease patients in the Indian population. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14: 52-57.
- Shen J, Cookson MR (2004) Mitochondria and dopamine: new insights into recessive parkinsonism. Neuron 43: 301-304.
- Thomas B, Beal MF (2007) Parkinson's disease. Hum Mol Genet 16: R183-R194.
- Titheradge MA (1998) The enzymatic measurement of nitrate and nitrite. In: Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 100. Nitric oxide protocols. pp 83-90. New Jersey: Humaana Press Inc.
- Younes-Mhenni S, Frih-Ayed M, Kerkeni A, Bost M, Chazot G (2007) Peripheral blood markers of oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease. Eur Neurol 58: 78-83.
Publication order reference