Is MLC phosphorylation essential for the recovery from ROCK inhibition in glioma C6 cells?
Languages of publication
Inhibition of Rho-associated protein kinase (ROCK) activity in glioma C6 cells induces changes in actin cytoskeleton organization and cell morphology similar to those observed in other types of cells with inhibited RhoA/ROCK signaling pathway. We show that phosphorylation of myosin light chains (MLC) induced by P2Y2 receptor stimulation in cells with blocked ROCK correlates in time with actin cytoskeleton reorganization, F-actin redistribution and stress fibers assembly followed by recovery of normal cell morphology. Presented results indicate that myosin light-chain kinase (MLCK) is responsible for the observed phosphorylation of MLC. We also found that the changes induced by P2Y2 stimulation in actin cytoskeleton dynamics and morphology of cells with inhibited ROCK, but not in the level of phosphorylated MLC, depend on the presence of calcium in the cell environment.
- Amano M, Ito M, Kimura K, Fukata Y, Chihara K, Nakano T, Matsuura Y, Kaibuchi K (1996) Phosphorylation and activation of myosin by Rho-associated kinase (Rho-kinase). J Biol Chem 271: 20246-20249.
- Arber S, Barbayannis FA, Hanser H, Schneider C, Stanyon CA, Bernard O, Caroni P (1998) Regulation of actin dynamics through phosphorylation of cofilin by LIM-kinase. Nature 393: 805-809.
- Baranska J, Przybylek K, Sabala P (1999) Capacitative calcium entry. Glioma C6 as a model of nonexcitable cells. Pol J Pharmacol 51: 153-162.
- Baranska J, Czajkowski R, Sabala P (2004) Cross-talks between nucleotide receptor-induced signaling pathways in serum-deprived and non-starved glioma C6 cells. Adv Enzyme Regul 44: 219-232.
- Bernard O (2007) Lim kinases, regulators of actin dynamics. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 1071-1076.
- Berridge MJ (1995) Capacitative calcium entry. Biochem J 312: 1-11.
- Bradford MM (1976) A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 72: 248-250.
- Brzeska H, Szczepanowska J, Matsumura F, Korn ED (2004) Rac-induced increase of phosphorylation of myosin regulatory light chain in HeLa cells. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 58: 186-199.
- Chrzanowska-Wodnicka M, Burridge K (1996) Rho-stimulated contractility drives the formation of stress fibers and focal adhesions. J Cell Biol 133: 1403-1415.
- Clapham DE (1995) Calcium signaling. Cell 80: 259-268.
- Czajkowski R, Baranska J (2002) Cross-talk between the ATP and ADP nucleotide receptor signalling pathways in glioma C6 cells. Acta Biochim Pol 49: 877-889.
- Czajkowski R, Lei L, Sabala P, Baranska J (2002) ADP-evoked phospholipase C stimulation and adenyl cyclase inhibition in glioma C6 cells occur through two distinct nucleotide receptors, P2Y(1) and P2Y(12). FEBS Lett 513: 179-183.
- Erb L, Liu J, Ockerhausen J, Kong Q, Garrad RC, Griffin K, Neal C, Krugh B, Santiago-Pérez LI, González FA, Gresham HD, Turner JT, Weisman GA (2001) An RGD sequence in the P2Y2 receptor interacts with αvβ3 integrins and is required for Go-mediated signal transduction. J Cell Biol 153: 491-501.
- Erb L, Liao Z, Seye CI, Weismann GA (2006) P2 receptors: intracellular signaling. Pflugers Arch 452: 552-562.
- Hartshorne DJ (1998) Myosin phosphatase: subunits and interactions. Acta Physiol Scand 164: 483-493.
- Kawano Y, Fukata Y, Oshiro N, Amano M, Nakamura T, Ito M, Matsumura F, Inagaki M, Kaibuchi K (1999) Phosphorylation of myosin-binding subunit (MBS) of myosin phosphatase by Rho-kinase in vivo. J Cell Biol 147: 1023-1038.
- Katoh K, Kano Y, Amano M, Onishi H, Kaibuchi K, Fujiwara K (2001) Rho-kinase-mediated contraction of isolated stress fibers. J Cell Biol 153: 569-583.
- Kimura K, Ito M, Amano M, Chihara K, Fukata Y, Nakafuku M, Yamamori B, Feng J, Nakano T, Okawa K, Iwamatsu A, Kaibuchi K (1996) Regulation of myosin phosphatase by Rho and Rho associated kinase (Rho-kinase). Science 273: 245-248.
- Maekawa M, Ishizaki T, Boku S, Watanabe N, Fujita A, Iwamatsu A, Obinata T, Ohashi K, Mizuno K, Narumiya S (1999) Signaling from Rho to the actin cytoskeleton through protein kinases ROCK and LIM-kinase. Science 285: 895-898.
- Matsumura F (2005) Regulation of myosin II during cytokinesis in higher eukaryotes. Trends Cell Biol 15: 371-377.
- Moussavi RS, Kelley CA, Adelstein RS (1993) Phosphorylation of vertebrate nonmuscle and smooth muscle myosin heavy chains and light chains. Mol Cell Biochem 127-128: 219-227.
- Pak CW, Flynn KC, Bamburg JR (2008) Actin-binding proteins take the reins in growth cones. Nat Rev Neurosci 9: 136-147.
- Putney JW Jr (1986) A model for receptor-regulated calcium entry. Cell Calcium 7: 1-12.
- Riento K, Ridley AJ (2003) Rocks: Multifunctional kinases in cell behaviour. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 4: 446-456.
- Sabala P, Czajkowski R, Przybylek K, Kalita K, Kaczmarek L, Baranska J (2001) Two subtypes of G protein-coupled nucleotide receptors, P2Y(1) and P2Y(2) are involved in calcium signaling in glioma C6 cells. Br J Pharmacol 132: 393-402.
- Sanders LC, Matsumura F, Bokoch GM, de Lanerolle P (1999) Inhibition of myosin light chain kinase by p21-activated kinase. Science 283: 2083-2085.
- Sauzeau V, Le Jeune H, Cario-Toumaniantz C, Vaillant N, Gadeau A-P, Desgranges C, Scalbert E, Chardin P, Pacaud P, Loirand G (2000) P2Y1, P2Y2, P2Y4, and P2Y6 receptors are coupled to Rho and Rho kinase activation in vascular myocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 278: H1751-H1761.
- Schmitz AA, Govek EE, Bottner B, Van-Aelst L (2000) Rho GTPases: signaling, migration, and invasion. Exp Cell Res 261: 1-12.
- Singh I, Knezevic N, Ahmmed GU, Kini V, Malik AB, Mehta D (2007) Galphaq-TRPC6-mediated Ca2+ entry induces RhoA activation and resultant endothelial cell shape change in response to thrombin. J Biol Chem 282: 7833-7843.
- Somlyo AP, Somlyo AV (2003) Ca2+ sensitivity of smooth muscle and nonmuscle myosin II: modulated by G proteins, kinases, and myosin phosphatase. Physiol Rev 83: 1325-1358.
- Suplat D, Krzeminski P, Pomorski P, Baranska J (2007) P2Y(1) and P2Y(12) receptor cross-talk in calcium signalling: evidence from nonstarved and long-term serum-deprived glioma C6 cells. Purinergic Signal 3: 221-230.
- Suplat-Wypych D, Dygas A, Baranska J (2010) 2',3'-O-(4-benzoylbenzoyl)-ATP-mediated calcium signalling in rat glioma C6 cells: Role of P2Y nucleotide receptors. Purinergic Signal 6: 317-325.
- Sutton TA, Mang HE, Atkinson SJ (2001) Rho-kinase regulates myosin II activation in MDCK cells during recovery after ATP depletion. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 281: F810-F818.
- Targos B, Pomorski P, Krzemiński P, Barańska J, Rędowicz MJ, Kłopocka W (2006) Effect of Rho-associated kinase inhibition on actin cytoskeleton structure and calcium response in glioma C6 cells. Acta Biochim Pol 53: 825-831.
- Totsukawa G, Yamakita Y, Yamashiro S, Hartshorne DJ, Sasaki Y, Matsumura F (2000) Distinct roles of ROCK (Rho-kinase) and MLCK in spatial regulation of MLC phosphorylation for assembly of stress fibers and focal adhesions in 3T3 fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 150: 797-806.
- Tsuji T, Ishizaki T, Okamoto M, Higashida C, Kimura K, Furuyashiki T, Arakawa Y, Birge RB, Nakamoto T, Hirai H, Narumiya S (2002) ROCK and mDia1 antagonize in Rho-dependent Rac activation in Swiss 3T3 fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 157: 819-830.
- Worthylake RA, Lemoine S, Watson JM, Burridge K (2001) RhoA is required for monocyte tail retraction during transendothelial migration. J Cell Biol 154: 147-160.
Publication order reference