Regulation of subcellular localization of muscle FBPase in cardiomyocytes. The decisive role of calcium ions
Languages of publication
Glyconeogenesis, the synthesis of glycogen from carbohydrate precursors like lactate, seems to be an important pathway participating in replenishing glycogen in cardiomyocytes. Fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase (FBPase), an indispensible enzyme of glyconeogenesis, has been found in cardiomyocytes on the Z-line, in the nuclei and in the intercalated discs. Glyconeogenesis may proceed only when FBPase accumulates on the Z-line. Searching for the mechanism of a FBPase regulation we investigated the effects of the calcium ionophore A23187, a muscle relaxant dantrolene, glucagon, insulin and medium without glucose on the subcellular localization of this enzyme in primary culture of neonatal rat cardiomyocytes. Immunofluorescence was used for protein localization and the intracellular calcium concentration was measured with Fura. We found that the concentration of calcium ions was the decisive factor determining the localization of muscle FBPase on the Z-line. Calcium ions had no effect on the localization of the enzyme in the intercalated discs or in the nuclei, but accumulation of FBPase in the nuclei was induced by insulin.
- Bangsbo J, Gollnick PD, Graham TE, Saltin B (1991) Substrates for muscle glycogen synthesis in recovery from intense exercise in man. J Physiol 434: 423-440.
- Benkovic SJ, deMaine MM (1982) Mechanism of action of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase. Adv Enzymol Relat Areas Mol Biol 53: 45-82.
- Dzugaj A (2006) Localization and regulation of muscle fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase, the key enzyme of glyconeogenesis. Adv Enzyme Regul 46: 51-71.
- Flagg TP, Nichols CG (2005) Sarcolemmal KATP channels: what do we really know? J Mol Cell Cardiol 39: 61-70.
- Gizak A, Dzugaj A (2003) FBPase is in the nuclei of cardiomyocytes. FEBS Lett 539: 51-55.
- Gizak A, Rakus D, Dzugaj A (2003) Immunohistochemical localization of human fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase in subcellular structures of myocytes. Histol Histopathol 18: 135-142.
- Gizak A, Majkowski M, Dus D, Dzugaj A (2004) Calcium inhibits muscle FBPase and affects its intracellular localization in cardiomyocytes. FEBS Lett 576: 445-448.
- Gizak A, Rakus D, Dzugaj A (2005) Nuclear localization of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase in smooth muscle cells. J Mol Histol 36: 243-248.
- Gizak A, Wrobel E, Moraczewski J, Dzugaj A (2006) Changes in subcellular localization of fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase during differentiation of isolated muscle satellite cells. FEBS Lett 580: 4042-4046.
- Gizak A, Zarzycki M, Rakus D (2009) Nuclear targeting of FBPase in HL-1 cells is controlled by beta-1 adrenergic receptor-activated Gs protein signaling cascade. Biochim Biophys Acta 1793: 871-877.
- Grynkiewicz G, Poenie M, Tsien RY (1985) A new generation of Ca2+ indicators with greatly improved fluorescence properties. J Biol Chem 260: 3440-3450.
- Hermansen L, Vaage O (1977) Lactate disappearance and glycogen synthesis in human muscle after maximal exercise. Am J Physiol 233: E422-E429.
- Kane GC, Liu XK, Yamada S, Olson TM, Terzic A (2005) Cardiac KATP channels in health and disease. J Mol Cell Cardiol 38: 937-943.
- Mamczur P, Dus D, Dzugaj A (2007) Colocalization of aldolase and FBPase in cytoplasm and nucleus of cardiomyocytes. Cell Biol Int 31: 1122-1130.
- Marsin AS, Bertrand L, Rider MH, Deprez J, Beauloye C, Vincent MF, Van den Berghe G, Carling D, Hue L (2000) Phosphorylation and activation of heart PFK-2 by AMPK has a role in the stimulation of glycolysis during ischaemia. Curr Biol 10: 1247-1255.
- Okar DA, Manzano A, Navarro-Sabate A, Riera L, Bartrons R, Lange AJ (2001) PFK-2/FBPase-2: maker and breaker of the essential biofactor fructose-2,6-bisphosphate. Trends Biochem Sci 26: 30-35.
- Przygodzki T, Sokal A, Bryszewska M (2005) Calcium ionophore A23187 action on cardiac myocytes is accompanied by enhanced production of reactive oxygen species. Biochim Biophys Acta 1740: 481-488.
- Sauvadet A, Rohn T, Pecker F, Pavoine C (1996) Synergistic actions of glucagon and miniglucagon on Ca2+ mobilization in cardiac cells. Circ Res 78: 102-109.
- Tejwani GA (1983) Regulation of fructose-bisphosphatase activity. Adv Enzymol Relat Areas Mol Biol 54: 121-194.
- Uhlen P (2004) Spectral analysis of calcium oscillations. Sci STKE 2004: pl15.
- Weiss JN, Venkatesh N (1993) Metabolic regulation of cardiac ATP-sensitive K+channels. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 7 (Suppl 3): 499-505.
- Yanez AJ, Garcia-Rocha M, Bertinat R, Droppelmann C, Concha, II, Guinovart JJ, Slebe JC (2004) Subcellular localization of liver FBPase is modulated by metabolic conditions. FEBS Lett 577: 154-158.
Publication order reference