Adult-type hypolactasia and lactose malabsorption in Poland
Languages of publication
Background: The available data on the incidence of lactose malabsorption are contradictory. Potential bias in random selection is a major drawback of studies performed to-date. Moreover, molecular analysis of polymorphism -13910 C>T upstream of the lactase (LCT) gene (NM_005915.4:c.1917+326C>T; rs4988235) has not been reported in those studies. Therefore, in this study we aimed to assess genetic predisposition and clinical manifestation of adult-type hypolactasia (ATH). Patients and methods: In two-hundred randomly chosen healthy subjects (HS) aged from 18 to 20 years, the presence of -13910 C>T polymorphic variants upstream of the LCT gene was assessed. In a subgroup of subjects with genotype predisposing to ATH, hydrogen-methane breath test (BT) with lactose loading was conducted to determine the current state of lactase activity. In addition, clinical symptoms typical for lactose malabsorption were assessed using the questionnaire method. Results: Sixty-three out of 200 (31.5 %) HS had -13910 C/C genotype. Thus, genetically determined lactase persistence is expected in the remaining 137 (68.5 %) subjects. Thirteen out of 53 (24.5 %) HS having -13910 C/C genotype were proved to be lactose intolerant. Recalculating the data for the entire studied population it implies the incidence of lactose malabsorption in 7.7 % of subjects. Only three out of 13 (23.1 %) subjects with abnormal BT results, reported clinical symptoms related to lactose consumption. Conclusions: Significantly lower than previously reported incidence of clinically detectable lactose malabsorption in young healthy adults in Poland has been documented. The -13910 C/C genotype upstream of the LCT gene indicates a predisposition to ATH, but definitely does not define the current ability to tolerate lactose.
- Department of Physiology, Poznań University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
- Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Metabolism, 1st Chair of Pediatrics
- Department of Pediatrics, The School of Medicine and Division of Dentistry in Zabrze, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
- Chair of General, Gastroenterological and Endocrinological Surgery, Poznań University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
- Department of Hypertension and Diabetology, Medical University of Gdańsk, Gdańsk, Poland
- Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Metabolism, 1st Chair of Pediatrics
- Clinical Psychology Department, Poznań University of Medical Sciences, Poznań, Poland
- Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Metabolism, 1st Chair of Pediatrics, Poznań, Poland
- Boll W, Wagner P, Mantei N (1991) Structure of the chromosomal gene and cDNAs coding for lactase-phlorizin hydrolase in humans with adult-type hypolactasia or persistence of lactase. Am J Hum Genet 48: 889-902.
- Caskey DA, Payne-Bose D, Welsh JD, Gearhart HL, Nance MK, Morrison RD (1977) Effects of age on lactose malabsorption in Oklahoma native Americans as determined by breath H2 analysis. Am J Dig Dis 22: 113-116.
- Di Stefano M, Veneto G, Malservisi S, Strocchi A, Corazza GR (2001) Lactose malabsorption and intolerance in the elderly. Scand J Gastroenterol 36: 1274-1278.
- Di Stefano M, Veneto G, Malservisi S, Cecchetti L, Minguzzi L, Strocchi A, Corazza GR (2002) Lactose malabsorption and intolerance and peak bone mass. Gastroenterology 122: 1793-1799.
- Di Stefano M, Miceli E, Missanelli A, Mazzocchi S, Tana P, Corazza GR (2006a) Role of colonic fermentation in the perception of colonic distention in irritable bowel syndrome and functional bloating. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4: 1242-1247.
- Di Stefano M, Miceli E, Missanelli A, Mazzocchi S, Tana P, Corazza GR (2006b) Role of colonic fermentation in the perception of colonic distention in irritable bowel syndrome and functional bloating. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4: 1242-1247.
- Enattah NS, Sahi T, Savilahti E, Terwilliger JD, Peltonen L, Järvelä I (2002) Identification of a variant associated with adult-type hypolactasia. Nat Genet 30: 233-237.
- Enattah NS, Sulkava R, Halonen P, Kontula K, Järvelä I (2005) Genetic variant of lactase-persistent C/T-13910 is associated with bone fractures in very old age. J Am Geriatr Soc 53: 79-82.
- Enattah NS, Kuokkanen M, Forsblom C, Natah S, Oksanen A, Jarvela I, Peltonen L, Savilahti E (2007) Correlation of intestinal disaccharidase activities with the C/T-13910 variant and age. World J Gastroenterol 13: 3508-3512.
- Enattah NS, Jensen TG, Nielsen M, Lewinski R, Kuokkanen M, Rasinpera H, El-Shanti H, Seo JK, Alifrangis M, Khalil IF, Natah A, Ali A, Natah S, Comas D, Mehdi SQ, Groop L, Vestergaard EM, Imtiaz F, Rashed MS, Meyer B, Troelsen J, Peltonen L (2008) Independent introduction of two lactase-persistence alleles into human populations reflects different history of adaptation to milk culture. Am J Hum Genet 82: 57-72.
- Heyman MB (2006) Lactose intolerance in infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatrics 118: 1279-1286.
- Hollox EJ, Poulter M, Zvarik M, Ferak V, Krause A, Jenkins T, Saha N, Kozlov AI, Swallow DM (2001) Lactase haplotype diversity in the Old World. Am J Hum Genet 68: 160-172.
- Ingram CJ, Mulcare CA, Itan Y, Thomas MG, Swallow DM (2009) Lactose digestion and the evolutionary genetics of lactase persistence. Hum Genet 124: 579-591.
- Järvelä I, Enattah NS, Kokkonen J, Varilo T, Savilahti E, Peltonen L (1998) Assignment of the locus for congenital lactase deficiency to 2q21, in the vicinity of but separate from the lactase-phlorizin hydrolase gene. American Journal of Human Genetics 63: 1078-1085.
- Jussila J, Isokoski M, Launiala K (1970) Prevalence of lactose malabsorption in a Finnish rural population. Scand J Gastroenterol 5: 49-56.
- Krawczyk M, Wolska M, Schwartz S, Gruenhage F, Terjung B, Portincasa P, Sauerbruch T, Lammert F (2008) Concordance of genetic and breath tests for lactose intolerance in a tertiary referral centre. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 17: 135-139.
- Kwiecień J, Szadkowski L, Szostak W, Żabka A, Karczewska K, Kasner J (2005) Hypolactasia in school children in Zabrze city. Pediatria Współczesna 7: 15-18.
- Lisowska A, Wójtowicz J, Walkowiak J (2009) Small intestine bacterial overgrowth is frequent in cystic fibrosis: combined hydrogen and methane measurements are required for its detection. Acta Biochim Pol 56: 631-634.
- Mądry E, Fidler E, Walkowiak J (2010) Lactose intolerance - current state of knowledge. Acta Sci Pol, Technol Aliment 9: 343-350.
- Newcomer AD, McGill DB (1966) Distribution of disaccharidase activity in the small bowel of normal and lactase-deficient subjects. Gastroenterology 51: 481-488.
- Rasinperä H, Savilahti E, Enattah NS, Kuokkanen M, Tötterman N, Lindahl H, Järvelä I, Kolho KL (2004) A genetic test which can be used to diagnose adult-type hypolactasia in children. Gut 53: 1571-1576.
- Sahi T, Launiala K (1978) Manifestation and occurrence of selective adult-type lactose malabsorption in Finnish teenagers. A follow-up study. Am J Dig Dis 23: 699-704.
- Savaiano DA, Boushey CJ, McCabe GP (2006) Lactose intolerance symptoms assessed by meta-analysis: a grain of truth that leads to exaggeration. J Nutr 136: 1107-1113.
- Scrimshaw NS, Murray EB (1988a) The acceptability of milk and milk products in populations with a high prevalence of lactose intolerance. Am J Clin Nutr 48: 1079-1159.
- Scrimshaw NS, Murray EB (1988b) Prevalence of lactose maldigestion. Am J Clin Nutr 48: 1086-1098.
- Semenza G, Auricchio S, Mantei N (2001) Small-intestinal disaccharidases. In: The metabolic and molecular basis of inherited disease. Scriver CR, Beaud et al, Sly D, Valle D, eds, pp 1623-1650. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Socha J, Ksiazyk J, Flatz G, Flatz SD (1984) Prevalence of primary adult lactose malabsorption in Poland. Ann Hum Biol 11: 311-316.
- Strocchi A, Corazza G, Ellis CJ, Gasbarrini G, Levitt MD (1993) Detection of malabsorption of low doses of carbohydrate: accuracy of various breath H2 criteria. Gastroenterology 105: 1404-1410.
- Suarez FL, Savaiano DA (1994) Lactose digestion and tolerance in adult and elderly Asian-Americans. Am J Clin Nutr 59: 1021-1024.
- Swallow DM (2003) Genetics of lactase persistence and lactose intolerance. Annu Rev Genet 37: 197-219.
- Vesa TH, Korpela RA, Sahi T (1996) Tolerance to small amounts of lactose in lactose maldigesters. Am J Clin Nutr 64: 197-201.
- Wang Y, Harvey CB, Pratt WS, Sams VR, Sarner M, Rossi M, Auricchio S, Swallow DM (1995) The lactase persistence/non-persistence polymorphism is controlled by a cis-acting element. Hum Mol Genet 4: 657-662.
- Welsh JD, Poley JR, Bhatia M, Stevenson DE (1978) Intestinal disaccharidase activities in relation to age, race and mucosal damage. Gastroenterology 75: 847-855.
Publication order reference