Core structure of flavonoids precursor as an antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic agent: an in vivo study in rats
Languages of publication
trans-Chalcone is the core structure of naringenin chalcone, located halfway in the biosynthesis pathway of flavonoids. Flavonoids have been reported as mammalian alpha-amylase inhibitors, a property which could be useful in the management of postprandial hyperglycemia in diabetes and related disorders. As a mammalian alpha-amylase inhibitor in vitro, the putative beneficial effect of trans-chalcone on diabetes was tested in a streptozotocin-induced rat model of diabetes type 1, and the results analyzed with commonly used statistical methods. Significant reduction of blood glucose levels and beneficial effect on dyslipidemia were observed in diabetic rats, as well as reduction of disturbing consequences of diabetes such as high urine volume and water intake. trans-chalcone was observed to have a weight loss-inductive effect, alongside with a reduction in food intake, which is suggestive of a therapeutic potential of this compound in overweight and obese patients.
- Alberton EH, Damazio RG, Cazarolli LH, Chiaradia LD, Leal PC, Nunes RJ, Yunes RA, Silva FR (2008) Influence of chalcone analogues on serum glucose levels in hyperglycemic rats. Chem Biol Interact 171: 355-362.
- Aslan M, Orhan DD, Orhan N, Sezik E, Yesilada E (2007) A study of antidiabetic and antioxidant effects of Helichrysum graveolens capitulums in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Med Food 10: 396-400.
- Bachorik PS (1997) Measurement of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. In Handbook of lipoprotein testing. Rifai N, Warnick GR, Dominiczack MH, eds, pp 145-160. AACC Press, Washington.
- Beisswenger P, Heine RJ, Leiter LA, Moses A, Tuomilehto J (2004) Prandial glucose regulation in the glucose triad: emerging evidence and insights. Endocrine 25: 195-202.
- Boivin M, Flourie B, Rizza RA, Go VL, DiMagno EP (1988) Gastrointestinal and metabolic effects of amylase inhibition in diabetics. Gastroenterology 94: 387-394.
- Casaschi A, Maiyoh GK, Rubio BK, Li RW, Adeli K, Theriault AG (2004) The chalcone xanthohumol inhibits triglyceride and apolipoprotein B secretion in HepG2 cells. J Nutr 134: 1340-1346.
- Ceriello A (2005) Postprandial hyperglycemia and diabetes complications: is it time to treat? Diabetes 54: 1-7.
- Chiasson JL, Josse RG, Gomis R, Hanefeld M, Karasik A, Laakso M (2004) Acarbose for the prevention of type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance: facts and interpretations concerning the critical analysis of the STOP-NIDDM Trial data. Diabetologia 47: 969-975.
- Cole TG, Klotzsch SG, McNamara J (1997) Measurement of triglyceride concentration. In Handbook of lipoprotein testing. Rifai N, Warnick GR, Dominiczack MH, eds, pp 115-126. AACC Press, Washington.
- Deeg R, Ziegenhorn J (1983) Kinetic enzymic method for automated determination of total cholesterol in serum. Clin Chem 29: 1798-1802.
- Ferrer JL, Austin MB, Stewart CJr, Noel JP (2008) Structure and function of enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of phenylpropanoids. Plant Physiol Biochem 46: 356-370.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS (1972) Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Godbout A, Chiasson JL (2007) Who should benefit from the use of α-glucosidase inhibitors? Curr Diab Rep 7: 333-339.
- Gosavi A, Flaker G, Gardner D (2006) Lipid management reduces cardiovascular complications in individuals with diabetes and prediabetes. Prev Cardiol 9: 102-107.
- Hwang IK, Kim DW, Park JH, Lim SS, Yoo KY, Kwon DY, Moon WK, Won MH (2009) Effects of grape seed extract and its ethylacetate/ethanol fraction on blood glucose levels in a model of type 2 diabetes. Phytother Res 23: 1182-1185.
- Kim JS, Kwon CS, Son KH (2000) Inhibition of α-glucosidase and amylase by luteolin, a flavonoid. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64: 2458-2461.
- Knott RM, Grant G, Bardocz S, Pusztai A, de Carvalho AF, Hesketh JE (1992) Alterations in the level of insulin receptor and GLUT-4 mRNA in skeletal muscle from rats fed a kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) diet. Int J Biochem 24: 897-902.
- Kruse-Jarres JD, Kaiser C, Hafkenscheid JC, Hohenwallner W, Stein W, Bohner J, Klein G, Poppe W, Rauscher E (1989) Evaluation of a new α-amylase assay using 4,6-ethylidene-(G7)1,4-nitrophenyl-(G1)-α-d-maltoheptaoside as substrate. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 27: 103-113.
- Lankisch M, Layer P, Rizza RA, DiMagno EP (1998) Acute postprandial gastrointestinal and metabolic effects of wheat amylase inhibitor (WAI) in normal, obese, and diabetic humans. Pancreas 17: 176-181.
- Lawrence JM, Liese AD, Liu L, Dabelea D, Anderson A, Imperatore G, Bell R (2008) Weight-loss practices and weight-related issues among youth with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 31: 2251-2257.
- Li W, Dai RJ, Yu YH, Li L, Wu CM, Luan WW, Meng WW, Zhang XS, Deng YL (2007) Antihyperglycemic effect of Cephalotaxus sinensis leaves and GLUT-4 translocation facilitating activity of its flavonoid constituents. Biol Pharm Bull 30: 1123-1129.
- Lo Piparo E, Scheib H, Frei N, Williamson G, Grigorov M, Chou CJ (2008) Flavonoids for controlling starch digestion: structural requirements for inhibiting human α-amylase. J Med Chem 51: 3555-3561.
- Machius M, Vertesy L, Huber R, Wiegand G (1996) Carbohydrate and protein-based inhibitors of porcine pancreatic α-amylase: structure analysis and comparison of their binding characteristics. J Mol Biol 260: 409-421.
- Najafian M, Ebrahim-Habibi A, Hezareh N, Yaghmaei P, Parivar K, Larijani B (2010) Trans-chalcone: a novel small molecule inhibitor of mammalian alpha-amylase. Mol Biol Rep E-pub DOI 10.1007/s11033-010-0271-3.
- Navas PB (2009) Chemical composition of the virgin oil obtained by mechanical pressing form several grape seed varieties (Vitis vinifera L.) with emphasis on minor constituents. Arch Latinoam Nutr 59: 214-219 (in Spanish).
- Nijveldt RJ, van Nood E, van Hoorn DE, Boelens PG, van Norren K, van Leeuwen PA (2001) Flavonoids: a review of probable mechanisms of action and potential applications. Am J Clin Nutr 74: 418-425.
- Ogawa H, Ohno M, Baba K (2005) Hypotensive and lipid regulatory actions of 4-hydroxyderricin, a chalcone from Angelica keiskei, in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32: 19-23.
- Portha B, Levacher C, Picon L, Rosselin G (1974) Diabetogenic effect of streptozotocin in the rat during the perinatal period. Diabetes 23: 889-895.
- Portha B, Blondel O, Serradas P, McEvoy R, Giroix MH, Kergoat M, Bailbe D (1989) The rat models of non-insulin dependent diabetes induced by neonatal streptozotocin. Diabete Metab 15: 61-75.
- Rebolledo OR, Actis Dato SM (2005) Postprandial hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia-generated glycoxidative stress: its contribution to the pathogenesis of diabetes complications. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 9: 191-208.
- Rosak C, Mertes G (2009) Effects of acarbose on proinsulin and insulin secretion and their potential significance for the intermediary metabolism and cardiovascular system. Curr Diabetes Rev 5: 157-164.
- Sharma B, Balomajumder C, Roy P (2008) Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of flavonoid rich extract from Eugenia jambolana seeds on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 46: 2376-2383.
- Tadera K, Minami Y, Takamatsu K, Matsuoka T (2006) Inhibition of α-glucosidase and α-amylase by flavonoids. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 52: 149-153.
- Tangolar SG, Ozogul Y, Tangolar S, Torun A (2007) Evaluation of fatty acid profiles and mineral content of grape seed oil of some grape genotypes. Int J Food Sci Nutr 60: 32-9.
- Tormo MA, Gil-Exojo I, Romero de Tejada A, Campillo JE (2004) Hypoglycaemic and anorexigenic activities of an α-amylase inhibitor from white kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) in Wistar rats. Br J Nutr 92: 785-790.
- Verges B (2009) Lipid disorders in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab 35: 353-360.
- Verhoeyen ME, Bovy A, Collins G, Muir S, Robinson S, de Vos CH, Colliver S (2002) Increasing antioxidant levels in tomatoes through modification of the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway. J Exp Bot 53: 2099-2106.
- Wiebe DA, Warnick GR (1997) Measurement of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. In Handbook of lipoprotein testing. Rifai N, Warnick GR, Dominiczack MH, eds, pp 127-144. AACC Press, Washington.
- Yamagishi S, Nakamura K, Takeuchi M (2005) Inhibition of postprandial hyperglycemia by acarbose is a promising therapeutic strategy for the treatment of patients with the metabolic syndrome. Med Hypotheses 65: 152-154.
- Yoon SH, Robyt JF (2003) Study of the inhibition of four α amylases by acarbose and its 4IV-α-maltohexaosyl and 4IV-α-maltododecaosyl analogues. Carbohydr Res 338: 1969-1980.
Publication order reference