Comparative proteomic analysis of Bombyx mori hemolymph and fat body after calorie restriction
Languages of publication
Calorie restriction (CR) is known to extend life span from yeast to mammals. To gain an insight into the effects of CR on growth and development of the silkworm Bombyx mori at protein level, we employed comparative proteomic approach to investigate proteomic differences of hemolymph and fat body of the silkworm larvae subjected to CR. Thirty-nine differentially expressed proteins were identified by MALDI TOF/TOF MS. Among them, 19 were from the hemolymph and 20 from the fat body. The hemolymph of the CR group contained two down-regulated and 17 up-regulated proteins, whereas the fat body contained 15 down-regulated and five up-regulated ones. These proteins belonged to those functioning in immune system, in signal transduction and apoptosis, in regulation of growth and development, and in energy metabolism. Our results suggest that CR can alter the expression of proteins related to the above four aspects, implying that these proteins may regulate life span of the silkworm through CR.
- Biener Y, Feinstein R, Mayak M, Kaburagi Y, Kadowaki T, Zick Y (1996) Annexin II is a novel player in insulin signal transduction. J Biol Chem 271: 29489-29496.
- Brunet A, Kanai F, Stehn J, Xu J, Sarbassova D, Frangioni JV, Dalal SN, DeCaprio JA, Greenberg ME, Yaffe MB (2002) 14-3-3 transits to the nucleus and participates in dynamic nucleocytoplasmic transport. J Cell Biol 156: 817-828.
- Cao SX, Dhahbi JM, Mote PL, Spindler SR (2001) Genomic profiling of short- and long-term caloric restriction effects in the liver of aging mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 10630-10635.
- Chen D, Guarente L (2007) SIR2: a potential target for calorie restriction mimetics. Trends Mol Med 13: 64-71.
- do Nascimento AM, Cuvillier-Hot V, Barchuk AR, Simoes ZL, Hartfelder K (2004) Honey bee (Apis mellifera) transferrin-gene structure and the role of ecdysteroids in the developmental regulation of its expression. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 34: 415-424.
- Fu H, Subramanian RR, Masters SC (2000) 14-3-3 proteins: structure function and regulation. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 40: 617-647.
- Fujii T, Sakurai H, Izumi S, Tomino S (1989) Structure of the gene for the arylphorin-type storage protein SP 2 of Bombyx mori. J Biol Chem 264: 11020-11025.
- Heilbronn LK, Ravussin E (2003) Calorie restriction and aging: review of the literature and implications for studies in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 78: 361-369.
- Hiraki T, Shibayama N, Akashi S, Park SY (2008) Crystal structures of the clock protein EA4 from the silkworm Bombyx mori. J Mol Biol 377: 630-635.
- Hursting SD, Lavigne JA, Berrigan D, Perkins SN, Barrett JC (2003) Calorie restriction, aging, and cancer prevention: mechanisms of action and applicability to humans. Annu Rev Med 54: 131-152.
- Hwang SJ, Cheon HM, Kim HJ, Chae KS, Chung DH, Kim MO, Park JS, Seo SJ (2001) cDNA sequence and gene expression of storage protein-2-a juvenile hormone-suppressible hexamerin from the fall webworm Hyphantria cunea Drury. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 129: 97-107.
- Jalali S, Aghasi M, Yeganeh B, Mesaeli N (2008) Calreticulin regulates insulin receptor expression and its downstream PI3 Kinase/Akt signalling pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta 1783: 2344-2351.
- Kaeberlein M, Steffen KK, Hu D, Dang N, Kerr EO, Tsuchiya M, Fields S, Kennedy BK (2006) Comment on 'HST2 mediates SIR2-independent life-span extension by calorie restriction'. Science 312: 1312; author reply 1312.
- Kim EJ, HJP, Park TH (2003) Inhibition of apoptosis by recombinant 30K protein originating from silkworm hemolymph. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 308: 523-528.
- Li Y, Chen K, Yao Q, Li J, Wang Y, Liu H, Zhang C, Huang G (2009) The effect of calorie restriction on growth and development in silkworm Bombyx mori. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 71: 159-172.
- Masoro EJ (2000) Caloric restriction and aging: an update. Exp Gerontol 35: 299-305.
- McCay CM, Crowell MF, Maynard LA (1935) The effect of retarded growth upon the length of the life span and upon the ultimate body size. J Nutr 10: 63-79.
- Michalak M, Corbett E.F, Mesaeli N, Nakamura K, Opas M (1999) Calreticulin: one protein one gene many functions. Biochem J 344 Pt 2: 281-292.
- Parcellier A, Gurbuxani S, Schmitt E, Solary E, Garrido C (2003) Heat shock proteins cellular chaperones that modulate mitochondrial cell death pathways. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 304: 505-512.
- Rhee WJ, Lee EH, Park JH, Lee JE, Park TH (2007) Inhibition of HeLa cell apoptosis by storage-protein 2. Biotechnol Prog 23: 1441-1446.
- Sharov AA, Falco G, Piao Y, Poosala S, Becker KG, Zonderman AB, Longo DL, Schlessinger D, Ko M (2008) Effects of aging and calorie restriction on the global gene expression profiles of mouse testis and ovary. BMC Biol 6: 24.
- Soderhall K, Cerenius L (1998) Role of the prophenoloxidase-activating system in invertebrate immunity. Curr Opin Immunol 10: 23-28.
- Song JK, Nha JH, Kim HR (1997) Comparative analysis of storage proteins of fall webworm (Hyphantria cunea Drury) Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 118: 123-129.
- Naaby-Hansen S, Waterfield MD, Cramer R (2001) Proteomics-post-genomic cartography to understand gene function. Trends Pharmacol Sci 22: 376-384.
- Stern JS, Gades MD, Wheeldon CM, Borchers AT (2001) Calorie restriction in obesity: prevention of kidney disease in rodents. J Nutr 131: 913S-917S.
- Story SV, Grunden AM, Adams MW (2001) Characterization of an aminoacylase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus. J Bacteriol 183: 4259-4268.
- Sutphin GL, Kaeberlein M (2008) Dietary restriction by bacterial deprivation increases life span in wild-derived nematodes. Exp Gerontol 43: 130-135.
- Swindell WR (2008) Comparative analysis of microarray data identifies common responses to caloric restriction among mouse tissues. Mech Ageing Dev 129: 138-153.
- Takayama S, Reed JC, Homma S (2003) Heat-shock proteins as regulators of apoptosis. Oncogene 22: 9041-9047.
- Telang A, Buck NA, Wheeler DE (2002) Response of storage protein levels to variation in dietary protein levels. J Insect Physiol 48: 1021-1029.
- Townsend DM, Tew KD (2003) The role of glutathione-S-transferase in anti-cancer drug resistance. Oncogene 22: 7369-7375.
- Tungjitwitayakul J, Singtripop T, Nettagul A, Oda Y, Tatun N, Sekimoto T, Sakurai S (2008) Identification characterization and developmental regulation of two storage proteins in the bamboo borer Omphisa fuscidentalis. J Insect Physiol 54: 62-76.
- Valles SM, Pereira RM (2005) Solenopsis invicta transferrin: cDNA cloning gene architecture and up-regulation in response to Beauveria bassiana infection. Gene 358: 60-66.
- Varela PF, Llera AS, Mariuzza RA, Tormo J (2002) Crystal structure of imaginal disc growth factor-2. A member of a new family of growth-promoting glycoproteins from Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem 277: 13229-13236.
- Waisman DM (1995) Annexin II tetramer: structure and function. Mol Cell Biochem 149-150: 301-322.
- Walker G, Houthoofd K, Vanfleteren JR, Gems D (2005) Dietary restriction in C. elegans: from rate-of-living effects to nutrient sensing pathways. Mech Ageing Dev 126: 929-937.
- Wang Y, Oh SW, Deplancke B, Luo J, Walhout AJ, Tissenbaum HA (2006) C. elegans 14-3-3 proteins regulate life span and interact with SIR-2.1 and DAF-16/FOXO. Mech Ageing Dev 127: 741-747.
- Zhang J, Iwai S, Tsugehara T, Takeda M (2006) MbIDGF, a novel member of the imaginal disc growth factor family in Mamestra brassicae stimulates cell proliferation in two lepidopteran cell lines without insulin. Insect Biochem Mol Biol 36: 536-546.
- Zimmermann S, Schottler P, Engel W, Adham IM (1997) Mouse Leydig insulin-like (Ley I-L) gene: structure and expression during testis and ovary development. Mol Reprod Dev 47: 30-38.
Publication order reference