Isolation and functional expression of a novel lipase gene isolated directly from oil-contaminated soil
Languages of publication
A lipase gene SR1 encoding an extracellular lipase was isolated from oil-contaminated soil and expressed in Escherichia coli. The gene contained a 1845-bp reading frame and encoded a 615-amino-acid lipase protein. The mature part of the lipase was expressed with an N-terminal histidine tag in E. coli BL21, purified and characterized biochemically. The results showed that the purified lipase combines the properties of Pseudomonas chlororaphis and other Serratia lipases characterized so far. Its optimum pH and temperature for hydrolysis activity was pH 5.5-8.0 and 37°C respectively. The enzyme showed high preference for short chain substrates (556.3±2.8 U/µg for C10 fatty acid oil) and surprisingly it also displayed high activity for long-chain fatty acid. The deduced lipase SR1 protein is probably from Serratia, and is organized as a prepro-protein and belongs to the GXSXG lipase family.
- Akatsuka H, Kawai E, Omori K, Komatsubara S, Shibatani T, Tosa T (1994) The lipA gene of Serratia marcescens which encodes an extracellular lipase having no N-terminal signal peptide. J Bacteriol 176: 1949-1956.
- Anderson EM, Larsson KM, Kirk O (1998) One biocatalyst-many applications: the use of Candida antarctica B-lipase in organic synthesis. Biocatal Biotransform 16: 181-204.
- Cervantes-González E, Rojas-Avelizapa NG, Cruz-Camarillo R, García-Mena J, Rojas-Avelizapa LI (2004) Oil-removal enhancement in media with keratinous or chitinous wastes by hydrocarbon-degrading bacteria isolated from oil-polluted soils. Environ Technol 29: 171-182.
- Choo DW, Kurihara T, Suzuki T, Soda K, Esaki NA (1998) A cold-adapted lipase of an Alaskan psychrotroph Pseudomonas sp. strain B11-1: gene cloning and enzyme purification and characterization. Appl Environ Microbiol 64: 486-491.
- Feller G, Thiry M, Arpigny JL, Gerday C (1991) Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of three lipase-encoding genes from the psychrotrophic antarctic strain Moraxella TA144. Gene 102: 111-115.
- Gabor EM, de Vries EJ, Janssen DB (2004) Construction, characterization, and use of small-insert gene banks of DNA isolated from soil and enrichment cultures for the recovery of novel amidases. Environ Microbiol 6: 948-958.
- Ghanem A, Aboul-Enein HY (2004) Lipase-mediated chiral resolution of racemates in organic solvents. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 15: 3331-3351.
- Ghanem EH, Al-Sayeed HA, Saleh KM (2000) An alkalophilic thermostable lipase produced by new isolate of Bacillus alcalophilus. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 16: 459-464.
- Gilbert EJ, Drozd JW, Jones CW (1991) Physiological regulation and optimization of lipase activity in Pseudomonas aeruginosa EF2. J Gen Microbiol 137: 2215-2221.
- Gupta R, Gupta N, Rathi P (2004) Bacterial lipases: an overview of production, purification and biochemical properties. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 64: 763-781.
- Hasan F, Shah AA, Hameed A (2006) Industrial applications of microbial lipases. Enzyme Microb Technol 39: 235-251.
- Helen LS, Streit WR (2005) Metagenomics: Advances in ecology and biotechnology. FEMS Microbiol Lett 247: 105-111.
- Henne A, Schmitz RA, BÖmeke M, Gottschalk G, Daniel R (2000) Screening of environmental DNA libraries for the presence of genes conferring lipolytic activity on Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol 66: 3113-3116.
- Jaeger KE, Reetz MT (1998) Microbial lipases form versatile tools for biotechnology. Trends Biotechnol 16: 396-403.
- Jaeger KE, Dijkstra BW, Reetz MT (1999) Bacterial biocatalysts: molecular biology, three-dimensional structure and biotechnological applications of lipases. Annu Rev Microbiol 53: 315-351.
- Jaeger KE, Ransac S, Dijkstra BW, Colson C, van Heuvel M, Misset O (1994) Bacterial lipases. FEMS Microbiol Rev 15: 29-63.
- Jiang ZB, Wang HP, Ma YS, Wei DZ (2006) Characterization of two novel lipase genes isolated directly from environmental sample. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 70: 327-332.
- Kim JT, Kang SG, Woo JH, Lee JH, Jeong BC, Kim SJ (2007) Screening and its potential application of lipolytic activity from a marine environment: characterization of a novel esterase from Yarrowia lipolytica CL180. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74: 820-828.
- Lee MH, Lee CH, Oh TW, Song JK, Yoon JH (2006) Isolation and characterization of a novel lipase from a metagenomic library of tidal flat sediments: evidence for a new family of bacterial lipases. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72: 7406-7409.
- Lee SW, Won K, Lim HK, Kim JC, Choi GJ, Cho KY (2004) Screening for novel lipolytic enzymes from uncultured soil microorganisms. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 65: 720-726.
- Lee SY, Rhee JS (1994) Hydrolysis of triglyceride by the whole cell of Pseudomonas putida 3SK in two-phase batch and continuous reactor systems. Biotechnol Bioeng 44: 437-443.
- Li XY, Tetling SS, Winkler UK, Jaeger KE, Benedik MJ (1995) Gene cloning, sequence analysis, purification, and secretion by Escherichia coli of an extracellular lipase from Serratia marcescens. Appl Environ Microbiol 61: 2674-2680.
- Liu ZQ, Li XY, Chi ZM, Wang L, Li J, Wang XH (2008) Cloning, characterization and expression of the extracellular lipase gene from Aureobasidium pullulans HN2-3 isolated from sea saltern. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. 94: 245-255.
- Luisa-Rúa M, Schmidt-Dannert C, Wahl S, Sprauer A, Schmid RD (1997) Thermo-alkalophilic lipase of Bacillus thermocatenulatus: Large-scale production, purification and properties: aggregation behaviour and its effect on activity. J Biotechnol 56: 89-102.
- Mazzafera E, Olsson IO, Sandberg G (1996) Degradation of caffeine and related methylxanthines by serratia marcescens isolated from soil under coffee cultivation. Microbiol Ecol 31: 199-207.
- Neumann G, Kabelitz N, Zehnsdorf A, Miltner A, Lippold H, Meyer D, Schmid A, Heipieper HJ (2005) Prediction of the adaptability of Pseudomonas putida DOT-T1E to a second phase of a solvent for economically sound two-phase bio-transformations. Appl Environ Microbiol 71: 6606-6612.
- Ni X, Chi Z, Ma C, Madzak C (2007) Cloning, characterization, and expression of the gene encoding alkaline protease in the marine yeast Aureobasidium pullulans 10. Marine Biotechnology doi:10.1007/s10126-007-9067-4.
- Ogino H, Hiroshima S, Hirose S, Yasuda M, Ishimi K, Ishikawa H (2004) Cloning, expression and characterization of a lipase gene (lip3) from Pseudomonas aeruginosa LST-03. Mol Genet Genomics 271: 189-196.
- Schmidt-Dannert C, Sztajer H, Stocklein W, Menge U, Schmid RD (1994) Screening, purification and properties of a thermophilic lipase from Bacillus thermocatenulatus. Biochim Biophys Acta 1214: 43-53.
- Kiran GS, Shanmughapriya S, Jayalakshmi J, Selvin J, Gandhimathi R, Sivaramakrishnan S, Arunkumar M, Thangavelu T, Natarajaseenivasan K (2008) Optimization of extracellular psychrophilic alkaline lipase produced by marine Pseudomonas sp. (MSI057). Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 31: 483-492.
- Shu ZY, Yan YJ, Yang JK, Xu L (2007) Aspergillus niger lipase: gene cloning, over-expression in Escherichia coli and in vitro refolding. Biotechnol Lett 29: 1875-1879.
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ (1994) CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res 22: 4673-4680.
- Turner NJ (2004) Enzyme catalysed deracemisation and dynamic kinetic resolution reactions. Curr Opin Chem Biol 8: 114-119.
- Winkler UK, Stuckmann M (1979) Glycogen, hyaluronate, and some other polysaccharides greatly enhance the formation of exolipase by Serratia marcescens. J Bacteriol 138: 663-670.
- Yan JY, Yang JK, Xu L, Yan YJ (2007) Gene cloning, overexpression and characterization of a novel organic solvent tolerant and thermostable lipase from Galactomyces geotrichum Y05. J Mol Catal B: Enzym 49: 28-35.
- Yao HY, Yu SW, Zhang LD, Zuo KJ, Ling H, Zhang F, Tang KX (2008) Isolation of a novel lipase gene from serratia liquefaciens s33 DB-1, functional expression in Pichia pastoris and its properties. Mol Biotechnol 38: 99-107.
- Gangwar P, Alam SI, Bansod S, Singh L (2009) Bacterial diversity of soil samples from the western Himalayas, India. Can J Microbiol 55: 564-577.
- Jinwal UK, Roy U, Chowdhury AR, Bhaduri AP, Roy PK (2003) Purification and characterization of an alkaline lipase from a newly isolated Pseudomonas mend ocina PK-12CS and chemoselective hydrolysis of fatty acid ester. Bioorg Med Chem 11: 1041-1046.
- Gao X, Zhang K, Cao S (1998) Isolation of a lipase-producing Pseudomonas strain and optimization of its fermentation conditions. Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao. 38: 313-317 (in Chinese).
Publication order reference