Distribution of apolipoprotein AI-containing lipoprotein subclasses in plasma of normolipidemic subjects
Languages of publication
The distribution of apoA-I among apoA-I-containing lipoprotein (AI-Lp) subclasses in plasma was studied by immunoblotting utilizing agarose gel matrix incorporating anti-apoA-I as the transfer medium. Nine AI-Lp subclasses were detected in the plasma of normolipidemics, with relative molecular masses ranging from 70000 to≥354000 and diameters from 7.12 to≥11.6 nm. The mass distribution of AI-Lp subclasses was significantly different between males and females, and some subclasses increased gradually with age while others decreased. There was a significant strong positive correlation between subclass 1 (Mr 70000-75000) and subclass 3 (Mr 105000-126000) in all subjects and age groups. Analysis of similar AI-Lp or HDL subclasses reported in the literature showed variability in the sizes reported by various workers. This stresses the need for a unified classification of such subclasses, and this work contributes to this direction. The quantitative nature of the method used in this work compared with the semiquantitative approaches used earlier makes it a better method for the study of the quantitative changes of the subclasses in various physiological and pathological states. The method helps to generate ideas for in vitro and in vivo studies of apoA-I exchange among subclasses and in vivo kinetic studies. Conclusion. Plasma level of the AI-Lp subclasses varied quantitatively with age and gender, and strong correlations were detected between some subclasses. This work contributes to a better classification of AI-Lp subclasses according to their size. Comparison of the method used here with the methods reported in the literature revealed its advantages.
- Alenezi MY, Marcil M, Genest J (2004) High-density lipoproteins: target for cardiovascular disease prevention. Drug Discov Today Dis Mech 1: 159-164.
- Anderson DW, Nichols AV, Forte TM, Lindgren FT (1977) Particle distribution of human serum high density lipoproteins. Biochim Biophys Acta 493: 55-68.
- Ansell BJ, Navab M, Hama S, Kamranpour N, Fonarow G, Hough G, Rahmani S, Mottahedeh R, Dave R, Reddy ST, Fogelman AM (2003) Inflammatory/anti-inflammatory properties of high-density lipoprotein distinguish patients from control subjects better than high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and are favourably affected by simvastatin treatment. Circulation 108: 2751-2756.
- Ansell BJ, Watson KE, Fogelman AM, Navab M, Fonarow GC (2005) High density lipoprotein function. J Am Coll Cardiol 46: 1792-1798.
- Asztalos BF, Sloop CH, Wong L, Roheim PS (1993) Two-dimensional electrophoresis of plasma lipoproteins: recognition of new apoA-I-containing subpopulations. Biochim Biophys Acta 1169: 291-300.
- Asztalos BF, Roheim PS, Milani RL, Lefevre M, McNamara JR, Horvath KV, Schaefer EJ (2000) Distribution of apoA-I-containing HDL subpopulations in patients with coronary heart disease. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol 20: 2670-2676.
- Asztalos BF, Brousseau ME, McNamara JR, Horvath KV, Roheim PS, Schaefer EJ (2001) Subpopulations of high density lipoprotein in homozygous and heterozygous Tangier disease. Atherosclerosis 156: 217-225.
- Asztalos BF, Collins D, Cupples LA, Demissie S, Horvath KV, Bloomfield HE, Robins SJ, Schaefer EJ (2005) Value of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) subpopulations in predicting recurrent cardiovascular events in the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention Trial. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: 2185-2191.
- Atmeh RF (1987) Metabolism of apolipoproteins A-I and A-II in human high density lipoprotein: a mathematical approach for analysis of their specific activity decay curves. Biochem Med Metab Biol 38: 317-330.
- Atmeh RF (1990) Isolation and identification of HDL, particles of low molecular weight. J Lipid Res 31: 1771-1780.
- Atmeh RF, Robenek H (1996) Measurement of small high density lipoprotein subclass by improved immunoblotting technique. J Lipid Res 37: 2461-2469.
- Atmeh RF, Issa AEO (2005) Small high density lipoprotein subclasses: some of their physico-chemical properties and stability in solution. Acta Biochim Pol 52: 515-525.
- Atmeh RF, Shepherd J, Packard CJ (1983) Subpopulations of apolipoprotein A-I in human high-density lipoproteins, their metabolic properties and response to drug therapy. Biochim Biophys Acta 751: 175-188.
- Atmeh RF, Kana'an BM, Massad TT (2009) Isolation of high density lipoprotein subclasses by electrofiltration and their chemical components. Prep Biochem Biotechnol 39: 248-265.
- Barbaras R, Puchois P, Fruchart J-C, Ailhaud G (1987) Cholesterol efflux from cultured adipose cells is mediated by LpAI particles but not LpAI:AII particles. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 142: 63-96.
- Barter PJ, Nicholls S, Rye KA, Anantharamaiah GM, Navab M, Fogelman AM (2004) Antiinflammatory properties of HDL. Circ Res 95: 764-772.
- Barter PJ, Caulfield M, Eriksson M, Grundy SM, Kastelein JJP, Komajda M, Lopez-Sendon J, Mosca L, Tardif JC, Waters DD, Shear CL, Revkin JH, Buhr KA, Fisher MR, Tall AR, Brewer B (2007) Effects of torcetrapib in patients at high risk for coronary event. N Engl J Med 357: 2109-2122.
- Blanche PJ, Gong EL, Forte TM, Nichols AV (1981) Characterization of human high density lipoproteins by gradient gel electrophoresis. Biochim Biophys Acta 665: 408-419.
- Braschi S, Neville TA-M, Vohl M-C, Sparks DL (1999) Apolipoprotein A-I charge and conformation regulate the clearance of reconstituted high density lipoprotein in vivo. J Lipid Res 40: 522-532.
- Brewer Jr HB, Remaley AT, Neufeld EB, Basso F, Joyce C (2004) Regulation of plasma high density lipoprotein levels by the ABCA1 transporter and the emerging role of high density lipoprotein in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24: 1755-1760.
- Brock JW, Jenkins AJ, Lyons TJ, Klein RL, Yim E, Lopes-Virella M, Carter (DCCT/EDIC) Research Group, Thorpe RS, Baynes JW (2008) Increased methionine sulfoxide content of apoA-I in type 1 diabetes. J Lipid Res 49: 847-855.
- Brunzell JD, Davidson M, Furberg CD, Goldberg RB, Howard BV, Stein JH, Witztum JL (2008) Lipoprotein management in patients with cardiometabolic risk. Consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. Diabetes Care 31: 811-822.
- Castro GR, Fielding CJ (1988) Early incorporation of cell-derived cholesterol into pre-β-migrating high density lipoprotein. Biochemistry 27: 25-29.
- Cavallero E, Brites F, Delfly B, Nicolaïew N, Decossin C, De Geitere C, Fruchart J-C, Wikinski R, Jacotot B, Castro G (1995) Abnormal reverse cholesterol transport in controlled type II diabetic patients. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol 15: 2130-2135.
- Cavigiolio G, Shao B, Geier EG, Ren G, Heinecke JW, Oda MN (2008) The interplay between size, morphology, stability, and functionality of high-density lipoprotein subclasses. Biochemistry 47: 4770-4779.
- Chapman MJ (2006) Therapeutic elevation of HDL-cholesterol to prevent atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. Pharmacol Ther 111: 893-908.
- Cheung MC, Albers JJ (1984) Characterization of lipoprotein particles isolated by immuno-affinity chromatography, particles containing A-I and A-II and particles containing A-I but no A-II. J Biol Chem 259: 12201-12209.
- Chung M, Lichtenstein AH, Ip S, Lau J, Balk EM (2009) Comparability of methods for LDL subfraction determination: a systematic review. Atherosclerosis 205: 342-348.
- Duverger N, Rader D, Duchateau P, Fruchart JC, Castro G, Brewer HB Jr (1993) Biochemical characterization of the three major subclasses of lipoprotein A-I preparatively isolated from human plasma. Biochemistry 32: 12372-12379.
- Freedman DS, Otvos JD, Jeyarajah EJ, Barboriak JJ, Anderson AJ, Walker JA (1998) Relation of lipoprotein subclasses as measured by proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to coronary artery disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 18: 1046-4053.
- Guha M, Gao X, Jayaraman S, Gursky O (2008) Correlation of structural stability with functional remodeling of high-density lipoproteins: the importance of being disordered. Biochemistry 47: 11393-11397.
- Hortin GL, Shen R-F, Martin BM, Remaley AT (2006) Diverse range of small peptides associated with high density lipoprotein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 340: 909-915.
- Hsia J, Otvos JD, Rossouw JE, Wu L, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Hendrix SL, Robinson JG, Lund B, Kuller LH (2008) Lipoprotein particle concentrations may explain the absence of coronary protection in the women's health initiative hormone trials. Arterioscl Thromb Vasc Biol 28: 1666-1671.
- Jayaraman S, Gantz DL, Gursky O (2008) Effects of protein oxidation on the structure and stability of model discoidal high-density lipoproteins. Biochemistry 47: 3875-3882.
- Ji J, Watts GF, Johnson AG, Chan DC, Ooi EM, Rye KA, Serone AP, barrett PH (2006) High density lipoprotein (HDL) transport in the metabolic syndrome: application of a new model for HDL particle kinetics. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91: 973-979.
- Joy T, Hegele RA (2008a) Is raising HDL a futile strategy for atheroprotection? Nat Rev Drug Discov 7: 143-155.
- Joy TR, Hegele RA (2008b) The failure of trocetrapib: what have learned? Br J Pharmacol 154: 1379-1381.
- Kontush A, Chantepie S, Chapman MJ (2003) Small, dense HDL particles exert potent protection of atherogenic LDL against oxidative stress. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23: 1881-1888.
- Kontush A, Chapman J (2006) Functionally defective high density lipoprotein: a new therapeutic target at the crossroads of dyslipidemia, inflammation, and atherosclerosis. Pharmacol Rev 58: 342-347.
- Laurell CB (1972) Electroimmuno assay. Scand J Clin Lab Invest (Suppl) 124: 21-37.
- Leroy A, Toohill KL, Fruchart JC, Jonas A (1993) Structural properties of high density lipoprotein subclasses homogeneous in protein composition and size. J Biol Chem 268: 4798-4805.
- Lewis GF, Rader DJ (2005) New insights into the regulation of HDL metabolism and reverse cholesterol transport. Circ Res 96: 1221-1232.
- Li Z, McNamara JR, Ordovas JM, Schaefer EJ (1994) Analysis of high density lipoproteins by a modified gradient gel electrophoresis method. J Lipid Res 35: 1698-1711.
- Li Z, McNamara JR, Fruchart J-C, Luc G, Bard JM, Ordovas JM, Wilson PW, Schaefer EJ (1996) Effects of gender and menopausal status on plasma lipoprotein subspecies and particle sizes. J Lipid Res 37: 1886-1896.
- Maiorano JN, Jandacek RJ, Horace EM, Davidson WS (2004) Identification and structural ramifications of a hinge domain in apolipoprotein A-I discoidal high-density lipoproteins of different size. Biochemistry 43: 11717-11726.
- Miida T, Fielding CJ, Fielding PE (1990) Mechanism of transfer of LDL-derived free cholesterol to HDL subfractions in human plasma. Biochemistry 29: 10469-10474.
- Miida T, Inano K, Yamaguchi T, Tsuda T, Okada M (1997) LpA-I levels do not reflect preβ1-HDL levels in human plasma. Atherosclerosis 133: 221-226.
- Montali A, Vega GL, Grundy SM (1994) Concentrations of apolipoprotein A-I-containing particles in patients with hypoalphalipoproteinemia. Arterioscler Thromb 14: 511-517.
- Nakamura Y, Kotite L, Gan Y, Spencer TA, Fielding CJ, Fielding PE (2004) Molecular mechanism of reverse cholesterol transport: reaction of preβ-migrating high density lipoprotein with plasma lecithin/cholesterol acyltransferase. Biochemistry 43: 14811-14820.
- Nanjee MN, Brinton EA (2000) Very small apolipoprotein A-I-containing particles from human plasma: isolation and quantification by high-performance size-exclusion chromatography. Clin Chem 46: 207-223.
- Navab M, Anantharamaiah GM, Reddy ST, van Lenten BJ, Ansell BJ, Fogelman AM (2006) Mechanisms of disease: proatherogenic HDL - an evolving field. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 2: 504-511.
- Nofer J-R, Kehrel B, Fobker M, Levkau B, Assman G, von Eckardstein A (2002) HDL and arteriosclerosis: beyond reverse cholesterol transport. Atherosclerosis 161: 1-16.
- Ogasawara K, Mashiba S, Hashimoto H, Kojima S, Matsuno S, Takeya M, Uchida K, Yajima J (2008) Low-density lipoprotein (LDL), which includes apolipoprotein A-I (apoAI-LDL) as a novel marker of coronary artery disease. Clin Chim Acta 397: 42-47.
- Ohta T, Hattori S, Nishiyama S, Matsuda I (1988) Studies on the lipid and apolipoprotein compositions of two species of apoA-I-containing lipoproteins in normolipidemic males and females. J Lipid Res 29: 721-728.
- Ohta T, Hattori S, Murakami M, Nishiyama S, Matsuda I (1989a) Age- and sex-related differences in lipoproteins containing apoprotein A-I. Arteriosclerosis 9: 90-95.
- Ohta T, Hattori S, Nishiyama S, Higashi A, Matsuda I (1989b) Quantitative and qualitative changes of apolipoprotein A-I-containing lipoproteins in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Metabolism 38: 843-849.
- Ohta T, Takata K, Horiuchi S, Morino Y, Matsuda I (1989c) Protective effect of lipoprotein containing apoprotein A-I on Cu2+-catalyzed oxidation of human low density lipoprotein. FEBS Lett 257: 435-436.
- Ohta T, Hattori S, Nakamura R, Hiruchi S, Frohlich J, Takata K, Ikeda T, Saito Y, Matsuda I (1994) Characterization of subspecies of apolipoprotein A-I-containing lipoprotein in homozygotes for familial lecithin : cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency. Arterioscler Thromb 14: 1137-1145.
- Okazaki M, Usui S, Ishigami M, Sakai N, Nakamura T, Matsuzawa Y, Yamashita S (2005) Identification of unique lipoprotein subclasses for visceral obesity by component analysis of cholesterol profile in high-performance liquid chromatography. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: 578-584.
- Phillips JC, Wriggers W, Li Z, Jonas A, Schulten K (1997) Prediction of the structure of apolipoprotein A-I in reconstituted high-density lipoprotein disks. Biophys J 73: 2337-2346.
- Puchois P, Kandoussi A, Fievet P, Fourrier JL, Bertrand M, Koren E, Fruchart JC (1987) Apolipoprtoein A-I containing lipoprtoeins in coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis 68: 35-40.
- Rader DJ, Ikewaki K, Duverger N, Schmidt H, Pritchard H, Frohlich J, Clerc M, Dumon MF, Fairwell T, Zech L et al. (1994) Markedly accelerated catabolism of apolipoprotein A-II (ApoA-II) and high density lipoproteins containing ApoA-II in classic lecithin: cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency and fish-eye disease. J Clin Invest 93: 321-330.
- Rader DJ (2006) Molecular regulation of HDL metabolism and function: implications for novel therapies. J Clin Invest 116: 3090-3100.
- Reilly MP, Tall AR (2007) HDL proteomics: pot of gold or Pandora's box? J Clin Invest 117: 595-598.
- Reschly EJ, Sorci-Thomas MG, Davidson WS, Meredith SC, Reardon CA, Getz GS (2002) Apolipoprotein A-I α-helices 7 and 8 modulate high density lipoprotein subclass distribution. J Biol Chem 277: 9645-9654.
- Shao B, Cavigiolio G, Brot N, Oda MN, Heinecke JW (2008) Methionine oxidation impairs reverse cholesterol transport by apolipoprotein A-I. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 12224-12229.
- Singh IM, Shishehbor MH, Ansell BJ (2007) High-density lipoprotein as a therapeutic target. JAMA 298: 786-798.
- Srinivasan SR, Elkasabany A, Berenson GS (1998) Distribution and correlates of serum-high density lipoprotein subclasses (LpA-I and LpA-I:A-II) in children from a biracial community. The Bogalusa Heart Study. Metabolism 47: 757-763.
- Stampfer MJ, Sack FM, Salvini FM, Willet WC, Hennekens CH (1991) A prospective study of cholesterol, apolipoproteins and the risk of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 325: 373-381.
- Suenram A, McConathy WJ, Alaupovic P (1979) Evidence for the lipoprotein heterogeneity of human plasma HDL isolated by three different procedures. Lipids 14: 505-510.
- Syvänne M, Kahri J, Virtanen KS, Taskinen MR (1995) HDLs containing apolipoproteins A-I and A-II (LpA-I:A-II) as markers of coronary artery disease in men with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Circulation 92: 364-370.
- Tall AR (2007) CETP inhibitors to increase HDL levels. N Engl J Med 356: 1364-1366.
- Tall AR, Blum CB, Forester GP, Nelson CA (1982) Changes in the distribution and composition of plasma high density lipoproteins after ingestion of fat. J Biol Chem 257: 198-207.
- Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) Final Report (2002) Circulation 106: 3143-3421.
- Tian L, Fu M, Jia L, Xu Y, Long S, Tian H, Tian Y (2007) Relationship between apolipoprotein concentrations and HDL subclass distribution. Lipids 42: 419-426.
- Vaisar T, Pennathur S, Green PS, Gharib SA, Hoofnagle AN, Cheung MC, Byun J, Vuletic S, Kassim S, Singh P, Chea H, Knopp RH, Brunzell J, Geary R, Chait A, Zhao X-Q, Elkon K, S Marcovina, Ridker P, Oram JF, Heinecke JW (2007) Shotgun proteomics implicates protease inhibition and complement activation in the antiinflammatory properties of HDL. J Clin Invest 117: 746-756.
- Verdery RB, Benham DF, Baldwin HL, Goldberg AP, Nicols AV (1989) Measurement of normative HDL subfraction cholesterol levels by Gaussian summation analysis of gradient gels. J Lipid Res 30: 1085-1095.
- Vézina CA, Milne RW, Weech PK, Marcel Y (1988) Apolipoprotein distribution in human lipoproteins separated by polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis. J Lipid Res 29: 573-585.
- Vickers MR, MacLennan AH, Lawton B et al. (2007) Main morbidities recorded in the women's international study of long duration oestrogen after menopause (WISDOM): a randomized controlled trial of hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women. BMJ 335: 239-244.
- Von Eckardstein A (2008) HDL - a difficult friend. Drug Discov Today Dis Mech 5: e315-e324.
- Wilson HM, Patel JC, Russell D, Skinner ER (1993) Alterations in the concentration of an apolipoprotein E-containing subfraction of plasma high density lipoprotein in coronary heart disease. Clin Chim Acta 220: 175-187.
- Xu Y, Fu M (2003) Alterations of HDL subclasses in hyperlipidemia. Clin Chim Acta 332: 95-102.
- Yu R, Yekta B, Vakili L, Garavi N, Navab M, Marelli D, Ardehali A (2008) Proatherogenic high-density lipoprotein, vascular inflammation, and mimetic peptides. Curr Atheroscler Rep 10: 171-176.
- Zheng L, Nukuna B, Brennan M-L et al. (2004) Apolipoprotein A-I is a selective target for myeloperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation and functional impairment in subjects with cardiovascular disease. J Clin Invest 114: 529-541.
Publication order reference