Cystic fibrosis is a risk factor for celiac disease
Languages of publication
Background: The coexistence of cystic fibrosis (CF) and celiac disease (CD) has been reported. To our knowledge there is no study directly comparing the incidence of CD in CF patients to that in the general population at the same time. There is no published data on genetic predisposition to CD in CF patients either. Therefore, in the present study we aimed to assess the genetic predisposition to CD and its incidence in CF patients comparing it to data from the general population. Patients and methods: Two hundred eighty-two CF patients were enrolled in the study. In 230 CF patients the genetic predisposition to CD (the presence of HLA-DQ2/ DQ8) was assessed. In all CF patients, serological screening for CD was conducted. In patients with positive antiendomysial antibodies (EMA) gastroduenoscopy was offered. Intestinal histology was classified according to modified Marsh criteria. The results of serological CD screening in 3235 Polish schoolchildren and HLA-DQ typing in 200 healthy subjects (HS) were used for comparison. Results: Positive EMA was found in 2.84% of the studied CF patients. The incidence of proven CD was 2.13%. The incidence of CD as well as positive serological screening were significantly more frequent in the CF group than in the general population. The frequency of CD-related HLA-DQ alleles in CF and HS did not differ. Conclusions: Genetic predisposition to celiac disease in cystic fibrosis patients is similar to that of the general population. However, our results suggest that cystic fibrosis is a risk factor for celiac disease development.
- Bignon JD, Fernandez-Vina MA (1997) Protocols of 12th IHW for typing of HLA class II alleles by DNA amplification by the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and hybridization with sequence specific oligonucleotide probes (SSOP). In Genetic diversity of HLA. Functional and medical implication. Charron D ed, pp 203-204. Paris.
- Borowitz D, Durie PR, Clarke LL, Werlin SL, Taylor CJ, Semler J, De Lisle RC, Lewindon P, Lichtman SM, Sinaasappel M, Baker RD, Baker SS, Verkade HJ, Lowe ME, Stallings VA, Janghorbani M, Butler R, Heubi J (2005) Gastrointestinal outcomes and confounders in cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 41: 273-285.
- Bossuyt X, Blanckaert N (1999) Evaluation of interferences in rate and fixed-time nephelometric assays of specific serum proteins. Clin Chem 45: 62-67.
- Bruzzesse E, Raia V., Gaudiello G., Polito G., Buccigrossi V., Fornicola V (2004) Intestinal inflammation is a frequent feature of cystic fibrosis and is reduced by probiotic administration. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20: 813-819.
- Chorzelski TP, Buetner EH, Sulej J (1984) IgA anti-endomysium antibody. A new immunological marker of dermatitis herpetiformis and celiac disease. Br J Dermatol 111: 395-402.
- Cox KL, Isenberg JN, Ament ME (1982) Gastric acid hypersecretion in cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1: 559-565.
- Di Sabatino A, Corazza GR (2009) Coeliac disease. Lancet 373: 1480-1493.
- Dietrich W, Ehinis T, Bauer M (1997) Identification of tissue transglutaminase as the autoantigen of celiac disease. Nat Med 3: 797-801.
- Fasano A, Berti I, Gerarduzzi T, Not T, Colletti RB, Drago S, Elitsur Y, Green PH, Guandalini S, Hill ID, Pietzak M, Ventura A, Thorpe M, Kryszak D, Fornaroli F, Wasserman SS, Murray JA, Horvath K (2003) Prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk and not-at-risk groups in the United States: a large multicenter study. Arch Intern Med 163: 286-292.
- Fluge G, Olesen HV, Gilljam M, Meyer P, Pressler T, Storrösten OT (2009) Co-morbidity of cystic fibrosis and celiac disease in Scandinavian cystic fibrosis patients. J Cyst Fibros 8: 198-202.
- Hed J, Lieden G, Ottosson E, Ström M, Walan A, Groth O, Sjögren F, Franzen L (1986) IgA antigliadin antibodies and jejunal mucosal lesions in healthy blood donors. Lancet 2: 215.
- Hendriks HJ, van Kreel B, Forget PP (2001) Effects of therapy with lansoprazole on intestinal permeability and inflammation in young cystic fibrosis patients. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 33: 260-265.
- Hovdenak N, Hovlid E, Aksnes L, Fluge G, Ericgsen MM, Eide J (1999) High prevalence of asymptomatic celiac disease in Norway: a study of blood donors. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 11: 185-187.
- Ivarsson A, Persson LA, Juto P, Peltonen M, Suhr O, Hernell O (1999) High prevalence of undiagnosed coeliac disease in adults: a Swedish population-based study. J Intern Med 245: 63-68.
- Leclercq-Foucart J, Forget P, Van Cutsem JL (1987) Lactulose rhamnose intestinal permeability in children with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 6: 66-70.
- Lisowska A, Wójtowicz J, Walkowiak J (2009) Small intestine bacterial overgrowth is frequent in cystic fibrosis: combined hydrogen and methane measurements are required for its detection. Acta Biochim Pol 56: 631-634.
- Lohi S, Mustalahti K, Kaukinen K, Laurila K, Collin P, Rissanen H, Lohi O, Bravi E, Gasparin M, Reunanen A, Mäki M (2007) Increasing prevalence of coeliac disease over time. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26: 1217-1225.
- Maki M, Mustalahiti K, Kokkonen J, Kulmala P, Haapalahti M, Karttunen T, Ilonen J, Laurila K, Dahlbom I, Hansson T, Höpfl P, Knip M (2003) Prevalence of celiac disease among children in Finland. N Engl J Med 348: 2517-2524.
- Marsh MN (1992) Gluten, major histocompatibility complex, and the small intestine. A molecular and immunologic approach to the spectrum of gluten sensitivity (celiac spurue). Gastroenterology 102: 330-354.
- Murphy MS, Sheldon W, Brunetto A, Pearson AD, Laker MF, Eastham EJ, Nelson R (1989) Active and passive sugar absorption in pancreatic insufficiency. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 8: 189-194.
- Norkina O, Kaur S, Ziemer D, De Lisle RC (2004) Inflammation of the cystic fibrosis mouse small intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 286: G1032-G1041.
- Oberhuber G, Granditsch G, Vogelsang H (1999) The histopathology of celiac disease: time for a standardized report scheme for pathologists. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 11: 1185-1194.
- Pardo F (1991) Coesistenza di malattia celiaca e di fibrosi cistica. Descrizione di un caso clinico. Riv Ital Pediatr 17: 614.
- Raia V, Maiuri L, De Ritis G, de Vizia B, Vacca L, Coute R (2000) Evidence of chronic inflammation in morphologically normal small intestine of cystic fibrosis patients. Pediatr Res 47: 344-350.
- Smyth RL, Croft NM, O'Hea U, Marshall TG, Ferguson A (2000) Intestinal inflammation in cystic fibrosis. Arch Dis Child 82: 394-399.
- Sollid LM, Lie BA (2005) Celiac disease genetics: current concepts and practical applications. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3: 843-851.
- Sollid LM, Markussen G, Ek J, Gjerde H, Vartdal F, Thorsby E (1989) Evidence for a primary association of celiac disease to a particular HLA-DQ alpha/beta heterodimer. J Exp Med 169: 345-350.
- Szaflarska-Popławska A, Parzęcka M, Müller L, Placek W (2009) Screening for celiac disease in Poland. Med Sci Monit 15: PH7-PH11.
- Tommasini A, Not T, Kiren V, Baldas V, Santon D, Trevisiol C, Berti I, Neri E, Gerarduzzi T, Bruno I, Lenhardt A, Zamuner E, Spanò A, Crovella S, Martellossi S, Torre G, Sblattero D, Marzari R, Bradbury A, Tamburlini G, Ventura A (2004) Mass screening for coeliac disease using antihuman transglutaminase antibody assay. Arch Dis Child 89: 512-515.
- Valleta EA, Mastella G (1989) Incidence of celiac disease in a cystic fibrosis population. Acta Paediatr Scand 78: 784-785.
- Venuta A, Bertolani P (1999) Coexistence of cystic fibrosis and celiac disease. Description of a clinical case and reviev of the literature. Pediatr Med Chir 21: 223-226.
- Walkowiak J, Nousia-Arvanitakis S, Henker J, Stern M, Sinaasappel M, Dodge JA (2005) Indirect pancreatic funciotn tests in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40: 107-114.
- Walkowiak J, Sands D, Nowakowska A, Piotrowski R, Zybert K, Herzig KH, Milanowski A (2005) Early decline of pancreatic function in cystic fibrosis patients with lass 1 or 2 CFTR mutations. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40: 199-201.
- Weile B, Godzinsky E, Skogh T, Jordal R, Cavell B, Krasilnikoff PA (1996) Screening Danish blood donors for antigliadin and antiendomysium antibodies. Acta Paediatr (Suppl) 412: 46.
- West J, Logan RF, Hill PG, Lloyd A, Lewis S, Hubbard R, Reader R, Holmes GK, Khaw KT (2003) Seroprevalence, correlates, and characteristics of undetected coeliac disease in England. Gut 52: 960-965.
Publication order reference