Arachidonic acid-induced apoptosis in rat hepatoma AS-30D cells is mediated by reactive oxygen species
Languages of publication
Arachidonic acid at micromolar concentrations produced a drastic increase of the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in rat hepatoma AS-30D cells cultivated in vitro along with an increase in the incidence of apoptotic cell death. Both processes were prevented by trolox, a water-soluble tocopherol derivative, and tempol, a known antioxidative agent. A synthetic hybrid of lipoic acid and trolox or preincubation with N-acetylcysteine were less effective. Preincubation of the cells with etomoxir, a known highly specific irreversible inhibitor of carnitine-palmitoyltransferase I, partly decreased the ROS formation induced by arachidonic acid but it did not affect the increase in apoptosis. Cumulatively, these results indicate that apoptosis induced in hepatoma cells by arachidonic acid is mediated by ROS. They also suggest that this effect is due to arachidonic acid as such and not to its mitochondrial oxidative metabolites.
- Agius l, Peak M, Sherratt SA (1991) Differences between human, rat and guinea pig hepatocyte cultures. A comparative study of their rates of beta-oxidation and esterification of palmitate and their sensitivity to R-etomoxir. Biochem Pharmacol 42: 1711-1715.
- Bauer G (2002) Signaling and proapoptotic functions of transformed cell-derived reactive oxygen species. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 66: 41-56.
- Bernardi P, Penzo D, Wojtczak L (2002) Mitochondrial energy dissipation by fatty acids. Mechanisms and implications for cell death. Vitam Horm 65: 97-126.
- Bielak-Żmijewska A, Piwocka K, Magalska A, Sikora E (2004) P-glycoprotein expression does not change the apoptotic pathway induced by curcumin in HL-60 cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 53: 179-185.
- Cocco T, Di Paola M, Papa S, Lorusso M (1999) Arachidonic acid interaction with the mitochondrial electron transport chain promotes reactive oxygen species generation. Free Radic Biol Med 27: 51-59.
- Cossarizza A, Baccarani Contri M, Kalashnikova G, Franceschi C (1993) A new method for the cytofluorimetric analysis of mitochondrial membrane potential using the J-aggregate forming lipophilic cation 5,5',6,6'-tetrachloro-1,1',3,3'-tetraethylbenzimidazolcarbocyanine iodide (JC-1). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 197: 40-45.
- Dickinson DA, Forman HJ (2002) Glutathione in defense and signaling: lessons from a small thiol. Ann N Y Acad Sci 973: 488-504.
- Dymkowska D, Szczepanowska J, Więckowski MR, Wojtczak L (2006) Short-term and long-term effects of fatty acids in rat hepatoma AS-30D cells: The way to apoptosis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1763: 152-163.
- Fleury C, Mignotte B, Vayssière JL (2002) Mitochondrial reactive oxygen species in cell death signalling. Biochimie 84: 131-141.
- Inoue A, Muranaka S, Fujita H, Kanno T, Tamai H, Utsumi K (2004) Molecular mechanism of diclofenac-induced apoptosis of promyelocytic leukemia: Dependency on reactive oxygen species, Akt, Bid, cytochrome c, and caspase pathway. Free Radic Biol Med 37: 1290-1299.
- Koufaki M, Calogeropoulou T, Detsi A, Roditis A, Kourounakis AP, Papazafiri P, Tsiakitzis K, Gaitanaki C, Beis I, Kourounakis PN (2001) Novel potent inhibitors of lipid peroxidation with protective effects against reperfusion arrhythmias. J Med Chem 44: 4300-4303.
- Koufaki M, Detsi A, Theodorou E, Kiziridi C, Calogeropoulou T, Vassilopoulos A, Kourounakis AP, Rekka E, Kourounakis PN, Gaitanaki C, Papazafiri P (2004) Synthesis of chroman analogues of lipoic acid and evaluation of their activity against reperfusion arrhythmias. Bioorg Med Chem 12: 4835-4841.
- McClain DE, Kalinich JF, Ramakrishnan N (1995) Trolox inhibits apoptosis in irradiated MOLT-4 lymphocytes. FASEB J 9: 1345-1354.
- Nicoletti B, Migliorati G, Pagliacci MC, Grignani F, Riccardi C (1991) A rapid and simple method for measuring thymocyte apoptosis by propidium iodide staining and flow cytometry. J Immunol Methods 139: 271-279.
- Penzo D, Tagliapietra C, Colonna R, Petronilli V, Bernardi P (2002) Effects of fatty acids on mitochondria: implications for cell death. Biochim Biophys Acta 1555: 160-165.
- Salgo MG, Pryor WA (1996) Trolox inhibits peroxynitrite-mediated oxidative stress and apoptosis in rat thymocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys 333: 482-488.
- Schönfeld P, Wojtczak L (2007) Fatty acids decrease mitochondrial generation of reactive oxygen species at the reverse electron transport but increase it at the forward transport. Biochim Biophys Acta 1767: 1032-1040.
- Schönfeld P, Wojtczak L (2008) Fatty acids as modulators of the cellular production of reactive oxygen species. Free Radic Biol Med 45: 231-241.
- Simon HU, Haj-Yehia A, Levi-Schaffer F (2000) Role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in apoptosis induction. Apoptosis 5: 415-418.
- Skulachev VP (1996) Role of uncoupled and non-coupled oxidations in maintenance of safely low levels of oxygen and its one-electron reductants, Q Rev Biophys 29: 169-202.
- Wu TW, Hashimoto N, Wu J, Carey D, Li RK, Mickle DAG, Weisel RD (1990) The cytoprotective effect of Trolox demonstrated with three types of human cells. Biochem Cell Biol 68: 1189-1194.
Publication order reference